Ch. 43 – Symbolism
703 12 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A bit later, Elly returns. I unsummon her because I'll need the MP for rain magic later in the morning.

(Jared, can I quickly tell you something I found in Gzeph's files?)

(You're still wasting your time on decoding them?)

(Yes, why not?)

(...well, as long as it doesn't distract from more important issues. Though I have little expectations given the track record.)

(Right, so, I found two things I consider important.)

(Alright, let's hear.)

(First off, the real purpose of a trainer isn't to make a single class easier to obtain. It is to get an extra class for free. No stat requirements, no class core needed. Though for that, the trainer needs to have at least level 25 in the class you want to obtain, then the trainee needs to spend at least half a year under their instruction and then they can take the class if they want.)

(...can you please check the calendar? Is it opposite day today? Jeff's notes contain something obscure and potentially useful!?)

(Well, that is at least what it says there. Considering the steep exp requirements so far, I don't think that many would even go past level 20 and rather spread the levels out, level 25 is pushing it hard.)

(Yeah, it is very unlikely that anyone ever finds that out naturally. Remind me to ask Therese about that, it might be worth having a few volunteers just to save on class cores that way.)

(Sure, will do.)

(How did you even find that? I thought you couldn't make any progress while in the dungeon, and we're only out for a day and a bit.)

(Well, I couldn't use my advanced techniques, but manually still works. It just takes... a hundred times longer. I used our time outside to confirm the translations of the few things I managed to decipher.)

(Alright, good to know.)

(Ok, and the other thing...)

(No, wait, let me guess... it is a quirk with titles?)

(Uh, close. I found a title that you will want, really, really much and you can screw yourself out of obtaining it.)

(Figures... speak, what have you found?)

(First, I found this title.)

Summon Master
Race classes of your summoned spirits no longer require upkeep.
Increases the limit of base classes that can be added to a spirit by 1.

(The requirement is that you need to have three summons active at the same time.)

(So, I'd need at least Summoner at level 10 for the third spirit and 3000 max MP? Then I could already qualify unless I give one spirit more than the bare minimum of classes.)

(Exactly. And given your twenty percent penalty, even 3000 MP is hard to get.)

(I need that class at level 10 anyway for the increased spirit cap... then I have one remaining 'Class Core', I still need to figure out what I take next and when I can do that. But that has to wait, it is almost morning. Speaking of titles, does the 'Fortress Lord' do anything or is it just for show?)

Fortress Lord
You have been acknowledged as ruler of at least one "Lord's Mansion" and its associated fortress.
When laying claim to another "Lord's Mansion" that has currently no owner, you automatically fulfill its trial for ownership.

(Great, world conquest, here I come...)

(I'm sure, you will only use this power for good, my lord.)

(I appreciate the trust you have in me, Maria, but I don't share the optimism. Great power increases the ability to respond, or whatever way that saying goes.)

(You mean, 'with great power comes great responsibility'?)

(Responsibility, response-ability, same thing.)

(I was thinking, my lord. Considering the training option Elly found. Maybe it would be a good idea to later set aside one of your spirits as a trainer for hard to get classes for our allied soldiers. Getting us up to the required level will take a while but it should still strengthen our overall position.)

(That would first require us to find a way to greatly increase the level of my spirits, Maria. At just 1% CHA +2 that won't even be realistically possible even if I had all of my ten class slots filled with high CHA classes. The highest we've seen is a stat growth of 9, multiplied by 10 classes is still not enough for spirits to keep up with me, much less if I already have several classes with a CHA growth closer to 5. I would need about level 30 in all of my classes, probably more, to achieve that breakpoint, and I don't see myself reaching that with the 50% exp penalty. Yes, it would help us grow a stronger army to defend our people but that is too far away to be worth including in our greater plans.)

(I just thought I would share this idea.)

(Also, sis, that requires us spirits to be able to take on a mentor role in the first place. So far, we have no idea if that is even possible.)

(Whether you can't act as a trainer or it then falls back to me are also just as likely options. Before that, we also need to find out if we can cancel such a mentorship - just for five apprentices, it doesn't seem even remotely worth the effort.)

The next morning I make my way towards the usual training hall.

On the way there I see most of my party members arguing with one of the higher-ups, I don't know his name or rank, I have just seen Chloe report to him once before.

I approach the group, "What is going on?"

Kay is the first to answer, "What is - YOU are going on! We were never told we have to deal with a monster in our midst! We refuse to work together with a, with a vampire!"

"...and now you want to get transferred to a different group?"

"Screw a transfer", Allen is angry, "I want to quit! I have enough about getting lied to!"

The man still struggles to defuse the situation, "Now, now, please calm down!"

"If you ask me, you should ask Therese. If you explain the situation properly, I think you could get transferred to Jack's group. I heard they're still looking for reinforcements."

"You know what!? We'll do that! Allen, Gabella? With me!"

And with that, they storm off.

Only one man is left besides me, "Are you sure this was a good idea? Umm, Jared, was it? I don't have good experiences when bothering Therese."

"It will be fine. Really, we should have seen this coming once Darius... gave Chloe his piece of mind..."

"...I'll take your word for it."

I continue to the training hall. Only Geoffrey is present. This time I finally remember to [Appraise] him.

Name Geoffrey
Status none
Age 16
Classes Warrior 18, Cook 13, Axe Knight 5
Race Plain Human 12
Extra none
HP 3595/3595
MP 0/0
SP 3026/3126
STR 503+183
DEX 388-30
VIT 448+103
MAG 13
FTH 189
WIL 258+38
CHA 321
Equipment Great Axe, Half Plate
Skills Axe Training 23, Armor Training 23, Health Boost 18
Adaptability 12, Hard Worker 12
Weakness Poison

"Hey, Geoffrey, I take it the commander didn't tell you about me? Kay, Allen and Gabella just tried to quit over it. It seems, they will be moved to a different group instead."

"No, I have heard. If I had to be honest, I would like to leave, too. But Marca doesn't want to leave Chloe alone with you."

"And you don't want to leave your girlfriend behind."

"Correct."

"Speaking of Marca, where is she?"

"She went to visit Chloe in the hospital, will join us later, I suppose."

"I didn't know they were close."

"I don't think they are."

We don't have anything to say to each other, so each of us just does his training on his own.

Two hours later, Marca joins us.

Name Marca
Status none
Age 16
Classes Ranger 15, Knight 18
Race Grey Dwarf 14
Extra none
HP 2986/2986
MP 525/525
SP 2733/2733
STR 420+78
DEX 457+25
VIT 456+118
MAG 175
FTH 175
WIL 264+28
CHA 246
Equipment Shortsword, Buckler, Chest Plate
Skills Bow Training 15, Sword Training 18, Armor Training 18
First Aid 15,
Earth Resistance 14, Poison Resistance 14, Hard Worker 14, Tracking 15
Weakness Wind

Doesn't really look dwarfish to me, maybe half a head shorter than Geoffrey.

"Oh, great, he is here as well..."

"It is also nice to see you, Marca. How was Chloe?"

"...still unconscious. That is one of the few things I can't blame directly on you."

"Maybe, at least I didn't want to drag her into this. Are you friends with Chloe or why did you go to look after her?"

"I wouldn't say we are. I mean, I wouldn't be against it if she was okay with it but... well, why would a monster like you care about that!?"

"If I was as much as a monster as you imply, Darius would've been dead long ago."

She flinches from my statement.

"And unless you two want to donate some blood to my cause, you should just do your damn job and stay out of my way!"

I really need to work on my social skills...

"Just forget I said that..."

"No, the message was loud and clear..."

"No, I mean it. *sigh* I'm just not used to working with people."

I hope I have learned something from the disaster with Darius...

"GEOFFREY! COME OVER HERE!", I create the symbol once again, "Do you know what this means?"

Geoffrey is surprised, "Is this... real?"

"Geoffrey, do you know this symbol?"

"Yes, you don't, Marca?"

"No idea. You know I can't read."

"...I guess I need to add schools to the list..."

(Seems like someone is making progress with his trusting people skills.)

(Shut up, Elly.)

After a moment the symbol fizzles out. I can hear some people talk outside our training room but not make out what. Did the symbol disappear because it knew that I didn't want it to show to 'outsiders'? Weird stuff.

Geoffrey starts explaining, "It is the symbol of a 'Lost One', only they can create it!"

"He is WHAT!?"

She is first stunned by shock, then a moment later gets down on her knees and drags Geoffrey down with her.

I tell her, "Marca, this is no reason to grovel before me."

"No, it - it very much is..."

"...get up, right this instant!"

"A-as you command."

"Also, please keep this a secret. I'm... not ready for people to find out. Not yet at least."

"Why?"

I expect someone from outside to enter any moment now, but instead, the discussion outside subsides and I can hear people walking away.

"Sorry, this is also confidential. Apart from you, only Lucia, Darius and Therese know as of yesterday, and it needs to be kept that way for the near future."

"And what about Chloe?"

"I'll tell her when I get the chance."

Geoffrey is still speechless, Marca not so much, "What do you want us to do now? I, I have no idea how to handle this revelation..."

"For now, just carry on as usual. With the flood out there, I can't really enact any greater plans. The other goal would be conquering the dungeon and for that, I need to build a stronger party. You two can be in if you want."

"Ok."

"Yeah, we're in."

That was a bit too quick for my taste, but maybe what everyone has said about 'Lost Ones' being revered is true after all? ...I'm not happy that everything just randomly works in my favor without any input from me. Gives me the feeling something bad will happen soon...

"Alright, then one last thing. Once Chloe is with us again, I'll discuss several things with her, Darius and Therese. You should be there as well if you are serious about aiding me. So don't make too many plans for the next few days, you love birds."

"Thanks for letting us help you. That truly means a lot to us."

"Yeah, yeah. Now get back to work and remember, no word to anyone who isn't already in the know."

"Understood, sir!"

They salute and get back to their warm-up training. An hour later, I want to leave. I may have enough SP to train for half a day now but I have other stuff to do. 7 exp per hour isn't worth it to delay the massive exp gain from two rain spells twice per day now. The extra dungeon grind thanks to Darius doubled my max MP and pushed the full MP regeneration to below eleven hours, I must make use of this if I want to make a difference in the world.

And then there's the mansion stuff I have to deal with... so yeah, not much time for turning SP into exp. I can probably only afford a short session each day to clear my head from all the paperwork that awaits me... WTB a secretary!

Wait, I now have enough max SP to use the second blood mage skill. That should compensate for the lack of training, maybe more than that once my stats are up to par. I should check the total impact of that skill later once my SP has regenerated.

Retrying search for compatible Demon Lord class again...

Why now? Is it a once per day thing and it is that late already?

And why do I get a headache now...

ERROR: title "God’s Lost Child" is incompatible with "Demon Lord" type titles.
Looking for solutions...

Fuck, that is... not good...

ERROR: title "God’s Lost Child" was severely damaged during the consolidation process.

Great, so how big is the damage?

G̷̼̃o̸̜̽d̴̺̉’̶̼̊ś̸̤ ̵̪͠L̸̘̔o̴̟̾s̴̟̐t̸͍̑ ̸̢̒C̷̠̕h̷̦̓ḯ̶̟l̶̰͝d̵̠̃ ̷̫͊(̸͖̀B̴̩̿r̵̨̈́o̴̞͝k̸̨̓e̷͚͋n̶̤̾ ̵̱̐V̸̱̚ȇ̶͉r̴̖̄.̴̨͘)̴̲̅
Visitor from another world.
A title emblem can be displayed up to three times as proof of this title’s ownership. (1 use remaining)
20% penalty to HP, MP, SP.
50% penalty to combat exp gain.
Spell ranks are limited to 1.
Automatically acquire the ability to fluently speak the three most popular languages on Deteoh.
Also includes the ability to read and write these languages if the title owner could read and write at least one language before.
Acquired languages: humanoid common, m̶̙̩͝ȃ̶͖̠̅͝n̸̹̈͗̈́̀̊̅ǫ̷̝͖̬̐̋̓r̸̝̖͉̀̇͒̇̔͜ ̴̺͉̻̪̈ĉ̵̦̼̰͓̲̑͘͜͠ä̶͙̭̞́̓̏n̵͈̣̜̗͈̅̊̄t̴̖͇͇̓̆̈́, 4̷̝̆0̷̥͑4̸͓͛:̷̖̽n̷̡̕o̵̔ͅt̵̻͝f̶̻͒o̴͍̓ù̵̡n̶̛̙d̷̘̀

(...I just had to think it earlier, didn't I? That is what I get for tempting fate.)

(Can I say? Can I say it, Jared?)

(...fine, get it out of your system.)

(Be careful what you wish for, you may just get exactly what you ask for.)

ERROR: attempt to repair the title failed.

(...you know what, Elly? No, this is your fault! YOU talked me into taking the demon lord title.)

(Yeah, fair enough. Though if I had the exact same information we had at the time, I would do it again.)

(And given the situation with the dungeon, I don't regret my decision either. The consequences will probably screw us over eventually, but it was the best option to increase our survival chances at the time.)

(Or you could have just been honest with Darius from the get-go.)

Maria interrupts us, (Can you two stop arguing? It won't get us anywhere.)

(Or we can just drop the blame game, you're right Maria. Without time travel it doesn't change anything anymore.)

(True. Also, I'm literally a part of you, so no matter what, it is your fault in the end anyway.)

(Fuck you, Elly. *sigh* So I have just one use remaining?)

(You definitely need that for the public announcement. Letting the people here believe you are just a generic evil vampire will lead to problems. And you wanted to minimize risks as much as you can.)

(Yeah, so Chloe will have to wait a few days and just trust our word.)

(It could be worse. You could have no uses left.)

(Elly! We have done enough tempting fate! We don't need even more problems in that direction!)

Halting process until an acceptable solution is found.
Requesting permission from the master system to delete the incompatible title.

(Oops...)

(Sis...)

ERROR: removal attempt failed.
Both conflicting titles are already too deeply ingrained into the user's soul to remove.

(You know... losing the title after the public announcement wouldn't be the worst thing. No more HP, MP, SP or exp gain penalties.)

(Uh, you might lose your ability to speak the common language then, though.)

(And you think that would stop me? I'd just force one of you two to take the scholar class to teach the language back to me.)

(Cheater...)

Jared wanted to win on his own power? Okay, consider that wish granted, the training wheels are off!

Considering Lucia got Jared to use the symbol back then, her little harmless prank 18 chapters ago might actually cause real problems should Jared ever need that one use for something more important later.

Technically, Jared has already used the symbol three times now (Lucia, Darius, here) but before it wasn't a tracked finite resource, so the glitch just pulls up a random number out of nowhere.

So, I thought I had given the other five (former) party members some characterization but aside from one being regularly late and two of them bickering I found nothing, never even said who it was, so, uhh... Jared never cared too much about them, it seems.
The official answer is that the slacker was Allen and the bickering couple was our couple here.

Now watch me mess up the distinction between Marca and Maria regularly...

29