Ch. 77 – Reunion
279 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV: Anna

First I get almost killed in the dungeon, then today's practice session was rougher than usual... Geoffrey just never holds back, meanie. I haven't even recovered a bit from the dungeon's damage but no, he still had to go all out...

And yet... he's the only one that's like a father figure I have. Can't he and Marca just adopt me? I wanna finally have a place where I belong...

Growl

I hope there's something good for dinner, I'm hungry.

Crowd noises

Sounds like there's a commotion. Do I really have to go check it out? I'm too hungry for that...

...argh, probably. They'll be mad if they find out I ignored this and it was something important...

I head over to the marketplace where the sound seems to come from.

More crowd noises

Damn, can't see anything, I'm still too small...

Huh? What is that? Some objects fly through the air?

I reach out to an older woman, "Excuse me, madam, do you know what is going on?"

She is confused, "Huh? Oh, didn't see you there, little girl. We, uh...", she seems at a loss for words.

She thinks for a moment and then continues, "The church's head priest has done something bad. And, uh, they're punishing him. Look, this is not-"

Urgh, spare me, I'm hungry, give me the short version!

I interrupt her, "Uh, okay, sure, whatever. I don't really care about church business but... will the bad man go back to the church?"

"No. No, he won't. His sin is too great for that."

"Sin? What has he done?"

"He's gone against God's will, he has... I can explain it to you when you get older, okay?"

I'm always alone or too young for everything... and the title does me no favors in that regard... It is so frustrating...

"Uh-huh, okay. Thank you. I'll be on my way then."

She waves me goodbye, "Right, see you around, little one."

I finally return home. I hope Maria made something delicious.

"Hi, I'm home!"

...

No one answers? Is everyone busy?

The kitchen is empty, do they have a meeting? Come on, I'm hungry...

Knock knock

"Come in", answers a familiar voice.

"Ah, here's everyone."

Maria asks, "Hey, Anna, back already? Aren't you a bit early today?"

"No, in fact, I'm even later than usual. Is the food already cold?"

She is embarrassed, "Oh, sorry, I didn't watch the time. I'll prepare your meal in a moment."

Maria leaves the room.

"Sure. And what were you two up to?"

Jared answers, "Just planning how to proceed with the spirits. Elly is right now trying out her new class, she'll hopefully be back soon."

"Uh-huh. That reminds me, on my way home, there was a commotion at the marketplace. Something about the church's head priest getting punished? An older lady told me that he won't return there, he has done something pretty bad."

Lucia doesn't seem to care, "Serves him right..."

Jared adds, "I guess that closes that chapter. Anything else you wanted, Anna?"

"Not really but... have you thought again about making me a familiar?"

"...No. Haven't. Guess we could discuss that while we wait for Elly."

"S-sure. So?"

Jared thinks for a moment, "I have my reservations about this. I learned a few things since you last asked. It supposedly has no influence on your chance to become a hero-"

"I don't really care about that. I just... don't want to be left out. Not again."

Lucia asks, "Are you sure about that? Once done, it can't be undone. You lose your titles, you become our servant not only in body but also in mind."

"I'm... I'm fine with that."

No titles would mean I no longer have to suffer from the 'Stunted Growth' title. And I'm already their slave, me saying no already means nothing... This changes nothing really...

Jared gives up, "Well, the cap for familiars has gone up considerably recently, and if you really want to, I don't see any reason against it anymore. Are you definitely sure about this? This is a one-way road. You could've still run away from your hero duty but not from this, it will be with you until your death."

"Y-yeah, I'm okay with that. As it is, I will just be left behind. ...I couldn't bear that again."

He grabs his forehead, "I don't get the feeling that you really understand but fine, if you insist, then come here."

I walk over to him as instructed.

He sounds serious, "This is your last chance to back out."

"No. Do it. I've made up my mind."

"Got it", he smiles.

I'm nervous. I just hope it doesn't hurt as bad as disobeying an order.

...

I wait but nothing happens. What's going on?

I ask him, "What's wrong? I thought you had agreed to it?"

"...I'm not allowed to take you as a familiar. Lucia, can you try?"

Lucia responds, "Huh? Uh, sure."

The slave seal was broken.
You have become a familiar to the Delacroix's.

The collar around my neck snaps open and falls to the ground.

Clang

It is gone. I can't believe it. It is gone!

I can feel tears rolling from my eyes. I covertly wipe them away. I hope no one saw that, that would be embarrassing. Big girls don't cry...

I'm a big girl, and don't you dare tell me otherwise.

Lucia says, "Seems like it worked. But why? What is different between us, Jared?"

He answers, "Simple. You have a full-fledged divine class, I don't. Supposedly that category name isn't just for show. It really seems to give you more rights than other people."

"That might be but I feel weirdly drained now..."

Jared appraises her, "Really? There's nothing in your status that suggests anything is out of the ordinary."

The two vampires discuss the issue a bit more but I tune them out. I wouldn't understand it anyway.

I think they said something about issues with titles, didn't they? How does my status look now?

Name Anna
Status none
Age 13
Classes Pugilist 10, Farmer 10
Race Cat Folk 7
Extra none
Divine Hero Candidate 2
Title <feature deleted>
EXP 102
HP 215/1820
MP 402/402
SP 47/2597
STR 336+20 (unarmed) or +41 (claws)
DEX 343
VIT 329+60
MAG 92
FTH 109
WIL 206+10
CHA 243
Equipment Reinforced Suit
Skills Natural Weapon 7, Unarmed Fighting 10
Opportunity Attack 10
Ageless 1, Curiosity 7, Low Profile 7, Sleepless 1
Weakness Water

The stupid 'Stunted Growth' title is gone!? It is gone!

Free, I'm finally free of it! That means I can grow up!

I gotta tell Carl!

Jared shouts, "Hey, wait!", but I've already closed the door.

No one tell Jared but his little "prank" toward the head priest got him stoned to death. The lady just didn't want to spell it out for little child Anna.

Originally I wanted [Ageless] to only stop aging once you've reached at least the age category of "adult" but I forgot to add that in Ch. 7, so if we take it as written, tough luck for Anna.

So, do we keep it or is it time for a retcon/patch?

Do we keep Ageless as written?
  • Yes, Anna stays a child forever. Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No, allow her to grow up. Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Yesn't, make the effect optional. Votes: 5 23.8%
Total voters: 21 · This poll was closed on Nov 8, 2022 06:08 PM.
10