Vol 1 – Chapter 3: Heart to Heart with the Manager
232 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mana Battle Stages. While they function similarly to virtual reality, they have a number of key differences that many people don’t realize. A Mana Stage works by replicating something as a form of tangible mana. The arena, dungeon, or stage is built traditionally and then scanned by a Mana Stage Generator which allows it to be perfectly recreated using Mana. Similarly, combatants enter a Sim-Pod which scans them and replicates them perfectly inside the Mana Battle Stage.

The Mana stages are different from virtual reality in that everything that exists in them is or at one point was real and operates naturally. This function not only allows for a one to one physics and magic simulation but also stops any form of cheating as overpowered abilities or weapons can't be created in the Mana Stage unless they exist in real life and are scanned in

Mana Stages are often owned by a director who contracts them to powerful demons and monsters who use them to defend against heroes in raids. A mana stage can be changed to suit the needs and style of the Dungeon Master but the process of switching between stages is time consuming and costly so Directors will often only contract a few dungeon masters and schedule them on different days to host raids. 

The building before me that contained the Mana Stage was massive and was one of the few Mana Stages that had stands on either side allowing for live viewing in addition to the standard TV broadcast. I walked up to the building’s entrance and pushed on one of the glass doors, which to my suprise swung open easily. Passing through the dormant metal detector and empty security checkpoint, I began walking down the wide hall that surrounded the stadium's mana battle stage.

After walking halfway around the building, I turned towards the nearest ramp and ascended into the stands flanking the stage. The empty stage that would soon be filled with Mana to create the arena or dungeon used in the raid was the size of nearly four football fields and certainly lived up to the image of a Mana Stage owned by a fancy private school.

Interrupting my thoughts, a mature and admittedly sexy voice called out from behind me “Alexander I presume? My name is Olivia Estill, acting director of this Mana Battle Stage and Headmistress of Avalon Academy.”

“Umm….” I was taken aback by the beauty before me, her lustrous black hair and hourglass figure coupled with her full red lips and ample bosom gave off a mature vibe that any man would fall victim too. Her head was adorned with a pair of thin curved horns and a silky tail swayed flirtatiosly behind her. Come on you Idiot get a grip I yelled at myself internally as I steeled my resolve and tried to act naturally. “Yes, It’s an honor to be working with you Ms Estill. I look forward to hosting tons of great raids that the students and faculty can enjoy.” 

I bowed forward for more reasons than one and rose once I felt it was appropriate to face her again. She chuckled and responded “Fufufu I do as well, but please just call me Olivia from now on.” 

Dammit woman are you trying to kill me. It was taking everything I had to keep myself composed. I felt like a low level mob facing off against the final boss. Have some mercy and at least let me level up a bit before putting me up against someone like her I yelled internally!

And yet, the universe showed me no mercy as Olivia sauntered over putting an arm around my shoulder and curling her tail around my waist. She began talking about the facilities and the Mana Stage while leading me through the stadium. While I internally vowed to begin practicing meditation once I was free, Olivia gave me a tour of the stadium showing off everything from the dressing rooms to the concession stands.  

After the tour, the two of us started heading towards the buildings entrance with the headmistress's arm still draped over my shoulder. The back of my neck where her forearm rested had died and gone to heaven but I somehow managed to cool my head and act at least semi-professionally during the tour.

As we exited the building, Olivia released me from her seductive vice grip and we approached a lone red sports car parked in front of the building. Grace was sitting in the passenger's seat with a slightly pouty look on her face. “You two sure are snug, huh?” She commented while turning her head with a twist.

Olivia entered the driver's seat while I sat in the back. “Wait, where are we going?

Grace turned towards me with a slight blush “We are heading to find a new area to replicate in the Mana Battle Stage. There are a few castles and dungeons I’ve picked out that haven't been replicated by a Mana Stage Generator.” I tilted my head and asked “I thought we were doing that next week?” 

Olivia chimed in to answer my question while pulling us out of the parking lot and onto the main road. “The entrance ceremony is next week and we’re hoping to have a debut raid that day in order to capitalize on all the publicity surrounding you.” 

“Surrounding Me?” I asked. Grace lowered her head and muttered “I’m sorry” The confusion on my face was apparently very evident as Olivia chuckled to herself while Grace continued.

 “In truth, I've been keeping a lot from you.” 

what.

“Last month you broke into top 100 Raiders Weekly.”

What.

“You were ranked 92nd and had a feature article”

What!

“We decided to capitalize on it by securing the contract with Miss Olivia.”

What!

“We also launched an ad Campaign, merchandise line, and members only fan club.”

“WHAT!” I shouted louder than I intended to.

“Why didn’t you tell me any of this?” I asked. Her eyes began to water and words flowed out of her mouth. “I didn’t want to trouble you. You were so busy already and you also told me you were behind on your summer homework and I wanted you to enjoy your youth and and and…..” 

“You still let me do all that summer homework even though you knew I was changing schools a month ago?” I chimed in with a slightly angry voice. Her watering eyes began to tear up. “I’m sorry………. I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry” she began muttering in a quiet voice. My hand reflexively shot out and began stroking her head

As she began to calm down, I gently placed my hand under her chin “Listen, I’m not mad. I know you were doing everything to try and help me but we’re a team.” I lifted her head so that she was facing me and continued “So from now on, let's work together, alright Grace?”

She blushed and turned away before slowly nodding her head. “Are you sure you’re not an Incubus Alexander?” Olivia chuckled. I shot her a glare before turning back towards Grace who seemed to have calmed down. “Hey, you mentioned something about merchandise right, could you show me?” 

Grace nodded her head once more before pulling a tablet out of her purse and unlocking it. She opened an image folder and began scrolling through the Images. The first few were posters of me in costume standing in various poses. I vaguely remembered a photoshoot a month ago but had never thought to ask what it was for. 

There were also shirts, mugs, and hoodies which seemed to feature what could be considered my logo, a skeletal arm reaching upwards with chains wrapped around it’s forearm, accompanied by the name Judas. There seemed to be an impressive variety of colors available and a range of products that featured quotes or the words, The Traitor as well. 

The first piece of merchandise to truly catch my eye was a 6’ inch poseable action figure of yours truly. I was enamored by the detail and included accessories but my mood shifted as Grace switched to the next picture. A simple black T-shirt with the words Property of Judas on it. “What's with that shirt, I mean, no disrespect but there can’t be too many people that want to wear something that embarrassing right?” 

Grace turned the screen towards herself and her face unexpectedly lit up “Oh that shirt. We opened pre orders last week and they sold out by the end of the day.” I was no fashionista but I was surprised anyone would wear that at all. Grace turned the tablet back to me and exclaimed “And these sold out in only a few minutes. Can you believe it?!”

My jaw nearly dropped as I stared at two pairs of underwear on the led screen. A pair of black mens boxers and a pair of silky black panties, both emblazoned with the words Property of Judas on the back. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY FANS!!!!!!! 

10