Chapter 12 The Rise of a Countess Arc
458 3 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            “Ugh, how annoying can one monster be?”

            My plan was to use the knights to annoy and draw the beast’s attention then have Tristian weaken it whilst I bombard it with whatever I have at my disposal until I judge that it is weak enough then I would finish it but Noooooooo, Mr. monster doesn’t even give the knights a single glance, instead its entire focus is on me!!!

            I barely have the time to dodge this… ok what is this monster? Are there four-meter-tall chickens with tusks?

            Whatever, all I can say is that it is the most annoying monster I have ever faced.

            Ok that’s a lie, this is the first time I ever engaged a monster in this manner, it is not surprising that I am struggling with it.

            Magic in this world is used in ways wholly different from what one who lived in my old world would imagine as there is no magic meant for combat. Instead, magic is used in everyday activities. Elemental mages use their power to reshape nature as to better accommodate human life, Alchemists transform matter to better shape their desired end products, Enchanters imbue objects with a given property meant to improve upon it, Curse-mancers use curses to inflict a desired effect on a person or object but said curse are rarely negative as the interpretation is left to the affected individual, and so on and so forth. Magic, no matter its type, was never meant to be used in battle but of course that would never stop humanity from twisting its nature and inventing means to fight through magic. That has led to the invention of offensive spells in almost every magical discipline but that still cannot change the fact that some types of magic are simply superior in the art of battle.

            Whenever I participated in teacher Adam’s monster subjugations, we usually hid behind the outer walls of the castle town and helped the knights with long distance area of effect spells. Teacher was an elementalist as such he used his tree of magic to draw from nature and recreate some truly spectacular phenomena. From flaming tornados to earth pits and boiling quagmires, his method relied on what he could learn from nature plus whatever combination his magic would best fit the situation.

            The tree of magic one chooses can make a massive difference in a mage’s ability to defend themselves. In my case Alchemy has very few offensive means thus limiting my attack power, but I too can replicate some of teacher Adam’s spells but as I do not have access to elemental magic, I am restricted to what my power of creation and manipulation can achieve on their own. The greatest drawback is that I am completely unable to replicate the scale of his magic. My power to create though powerful is limited in many ways including the distance between me to what I wish to create and the intensity of my creation as the more complicated it is the more likely, or more often, I am to fail thus leading to a weaker imitation.

            At the same time, I cannot ask the knights for help since I do not wish for them to die during a time of unrest.

            The only silver lining is that my ability to walk on the air makes me just as annoying for this beast as it is to me. Sadly, whenever I get a long enough distance between us for me to focus on offence, the beast simply ignores me then continues its charge towards the town. And yet they dare say that monsters are not intelligent, shame on you teacher Adam for imparting your erroneous knowledge, shame on you!

            I never imagined that I would one day run away from a chicken. I remember children using chickens to insinuate that one is a coward; I would love to bring some of those kids here and see how they react.

            Wahahaha, I can already imagine them crying whilst running faster than they ever had in their entire lives.

            Enough day dreaming let’s take care of this nuisance and get back home; I have better things to do.

            Since the knights have been entirely useless, I told them to retreat for now and wait until I Immobilize it to take action.

            Ha, Mr. chicken and I both stopped our game of tag and stared at one another. A Mexican stand-off with a giant chicken is oddly fitting.

            I then made the first move by creating a massive flame meant to burn it to a crisp but before the fire could so much as graze it, Mr. chicken jumped with the aid of wind elemental magic intending to crush me.

            Not wanting to become a human crêpe I plunged forward whilst leaving behind a gift of sharp spikes in the chicken’s landing location. Likely unable to maneuver whilst in the air the chicken had no choice but to accept my gift, sadly it did far less damage than what I would have wanted. It appears as though this chicken benefited from a mutation that hardened the skin on its feet.

            Still on the ground I glanced up and saw the monster bringing its beak down on me but as I was too slow to get back up, I had no choice but to take it head on.

            In truth monsters are no threat to me as their powers are usually unsuited to do battle with someone like me, an immortal who is the very definition of adaptability.

            I held my sword out and attempted to deflect its beak away from me but ended up cutting it in half. I was so surprised that my sword managed to penetrate its beak that I couldn’t evade the shower of blood that burst out of the giant bird’s face.

            ‘How disgusting, I honestly want to cry.’ It took me very little time to acclimate to my new gender and by extension adopt some more feminine characteristics such as always wanting to look good and avoiding things that feel disgusting. Therefore, I can only describe the current situation as a nightmare.

            “How dare a chicken give me so much trouble!!!”

            In my fury I threw my sword at the monster penetrating its neck thus sending it reeling and creating some time for me to rise back up and leave some distance between us before I started to bombard it with an innumerable number of earth spikes. Seeing that the attack did nothing I closed the distance and created an electric chain meant to num its muscles.

            Honestly my greatest advantage is not my scientific knowledge but the many fantasy books and movies from my past life, as they present me with an almost infinite number of tactics for me to use. My power of creation can sometimes compensate for my lack of knowledge as long as I have a clear picture of the desired outcome.

            The monster collapsed, unable to move a muscle at which point the three knights along with Tristian rushed out of no ware, amputating both its legs, stabbing from its chess down, but failing to behead the beast.

            The beast continued to flail around, slamming the side of its head into Tristian sending him flying. At the time the only thought in my head was ‘wow, it actually made Tristian do the one thing a chicken can’t, fly.’ I of course wasn’t worried as I had already inflicted worst pains on him, but I still needed to finish this monster, so I abandoned the lightning chain, recovered my sword and butchered it.

            All in all, the entire fight including our time spent paying tag lasted a little over 20 minutes, at least now I can get home and bathe. Ha, at least I will fulfill my promise to Nara, although helping me wash off the blood I am currently covered with might not be what she had in mind.

            When I re-entered the town, I could hear the people talking about me, or to be more precise my appearance. I mean they don’t have to say it, I already know that I look horrible. There were a few cheers here and there, but most people were simply stunned to see how a person could look when entirely covered in blood.

            I continued along the way to the castle, ignoring the murmurs all around me but a few comments drew my attention “Bloody Elly” and “The Bloody Princess” are apparently the nicknames they came up with. I really hope that they won’t stick around for long, I mean couldn’t they name me something like “The One Women Army” or “The Silver Hero”?

            Sigh, at least everything is done with, and I can resume my preparations.

 

Change in point of view to Duchess Sylvia Verlie

            “Please excuse my intrusion your grace, the duke has summoned you to his office.”

            A young servant girl spoke those much-dreaded words whilst trembling in the entrance. I know why she is so scared the same way I know why my husband has sent for me; all those reasons can be summarized in a single word “Elizabeth.”

            Early in the morning, when not even the knights had started their daily training, she had summoned the entire staff to discipline them and remove the rotten ones. Yes, that girl of mine did what needer my husband the duke nor his many vassals could do but that is not the point, the point is that she did so by making almost half of those very vassals her, and by extension the duchy’s, enemies.

            There must have been better ways and I am sure that Elly knew as much but she still did it, she forced a rebellion upon us.

            I can only imagine, no no no, I can’t imagine what my husband is currently thinking. All I hope is that he would spare her. Yes, that is my one wish, what she did was completely out of line and it is doubtful that she even had the authority to do as she did but that doesn’t matter, all that does is that my little girl be spared because if there is one thing I know, it is that my cowardly husband would go as far as to sacrifice her for his void hope of reconquering that cursed piece of land to the east. He would throw her to those nobles to appease them for the simple hope that he might one day regain what his family had lost generations ago. This is even more likely since he has other children on the way. ‘What is the sacrifice of one daughter if it means regaining our glory’ is what he is likely thinking.

            Funnily enough I am trembling just as much as the girl currently leading me towards the duke’s office.

            What will be her fate? What will become of my little Elly? Will he execute her to appease the vassals? Or will he marry her off to one of them in hopes of appeasing them? Which fate would be best for her? Death, or life in a cage?

            The servant opened the door to the office, where I could see my husband surrounded by many vassals, likely filling his head with whatever suits them.

            “Duchess…”

            “My lords.”

            “You likely know why you have been summoned so let us skip the formalities and get to the core of the issue…” Count Fouintaux, the leader of the south and one of the greatest of nobles in the duchy spoke to me in what could only be described as a superior scolding his subordinate, something that is completely unacceptable under normal circumstances “Your daughter, lady Elizabeth, has overstepped her bounds and dared to rebel against the Duchy…”

            No… this is not possible; will they charge her with the crime of rebellion? She will be executed. No, not my little girl.

            “… and as per the established precedents the young lady of the Silvier house will be sentenced to death.”

            I could feel my knees buckling as the count gives his judgement but a voice from behind me gave me hope, yes if anyone could solve this situation it can only be her, the smartest person I know and the one I care most about.

            “Oh my, sentencing me already, are we? How amusing. Well, dealing with that monster did take me quite a bit of time, time I intended to use to deal with the lot of you, but what does that matter I can still do so now.”

            I turn around only to see the stuff of nightmares, the beautiful girl I birthed covered in blood and dirt. At this point I completely forgot about my trembling knees along with the rest of my bodily functions, my one consolation being that I wasn’t the only one.

            “Father you are unfit to be the lord of these lands but at the same time if I were to take over your position too early other might see it as an opportunity to invade which would be more trouble than it is worth. That is why I have allowed you to continue to call yourself Duke…”

            I turned my eyes towards my husband who looked like a condemned man awaiting his execution and I felt joy, at this moment where my daughter is covered with filth and where this office has turned into a pissing ground I could only feel joy. I know now that these men I have feared my entire life are nothing when compared to a little twelve-year-old girl.

            “But fear not, I will allow you to continue to call yourself Duke even if that means that my dear grandfather will not be able to rest in peace for a few more years. What I do not allow is the rest of you so called “lords” buzzing around my home, that is why I will start my clean up with the lot of you.”

            “Captain, apprehend the sinner! That is an order.”

            Sir Mayron did not make a single move

            “You, you traitor! Knights, call the knights! There are traitors in the duke’s office.”

            “Viscount Kelilery, I must apologize but I serve the house of Silvier and no one else. Orders are meaningless unless they are to come from one who holds the surname of Silvier. As for the command to apprehend the young lady I can only say that it is impossible even if my lord the duke commands it…”

            All the lords turned their head in unison towards my husband, insinuating that he is to press the command.

            “…and to be clear, not unless the entire duchy were to unite could the simple hope of apprehending the young lady exist, but if my lord were to command me to throw away my life then I shall do so.”

            Pale as a ghost, this is the only way to describe the duke’s face.

            Sir Mayron is the most loyal of knights, whatever he says cannot be doubted and it is for this verry reason that the shock the nobles and duke feel is so great.

            “Let us get back on track, you lords are accused of attempting to usurp power and bringing harm to a member of the ducal family, for those reasons I have decided to confiscate your lands, declare your titles void, but in my generosity I will allow you to go against this order but know that if you fail I shall denounce you all as traitors to be executed till the fifth familial degree of relations.”

            The sentencing is absurd, the reasoning is nonsensical and yet none of them dared to speak, not even the duke. I have never been so proud in my entire life. She is forcing them all to rebel here and now where she can take care of them all at once, she’s also created a reasoning to go after the rest of their families, even if they choose to, in the public eye at least, bow to her. Being born into nobility I was taught to always keep my head down and accept whatever the men of the family decided for me, but she is different, though I also tried to impart the principles my own mother taught me to my daughter she rose above them, nay she invalidated them all.

            Elizabeth, you have shown me another way of life. Thanks to you the powerless me can now strive to rise higher.

            From the corner of my eye, I could see Count Fouintaux attempting to escape the room only to have his head cut off by Elizabeth, the other nobles understanding their situation tried to overwhelm her with numberers in hopes of escaping even at the price of sacrificing their accomplices, but it was all for not. No matter their makeshift weapon, their speed or in some rare cases their Aura techniques, they all fell at her feet with no more than a single swing of her sword. That beautiful sword that shone like a lake in a starry night.

            The few lords that did not try to escape could only watch as their fellow nobles were slaughtered like pigs. Some started crying others fainted completely. I on the other hand had my fear invalidated by the joy that my child will live, no matter her actions I will endorse them, no matter her sins I will share them, as a mother, as a woman who has had her entire life dominated by the will of the men surrounding me, I can only validate her.

            “Not going to try and escape? Well, that doesn’t matter, I cut down enough of them to create a full-on rebellion, those who know their place will bow their heads to their master and those who don’t will suffer the same fates as these corpses in front of me. Now answer me, which one will you chose?”

            The remaining few lords could do nothing but nod their heads. Elizabeth then brought her bloodied hand forwards, signalling for them to kiss her hand in a show of both fealty and obedience. Kissing the hand of a lady is an acceptable form of greeting or as a show of pleasantries but this time it is completely different, they kissed her hand not as a lady but as their lord and master.

            The surviving nobles having sworn themselves to her they scurried out of room, but one did not.

            “What are you waiting for father? Or is it that you wish to join these men in front of me.”

            “Wh-who? Me? I… you.”

            “If you do not wish to end up like them, I recommend you come and show me that you will submit to my will, for if you don’t, I will have no choice but to make an example of you.”

            My husband turned his head towards Sir Mayron but he found no ally in him, then for whatever reason he turned his head to me. Maybe he hoped that I would take his side? Foolish, I gave him a crazed smile as payback for allowing my daughter to be sentenced to death. Giving up all hope, he rose from the wet chair he’s been sitting on, managing to avoid the many corpses all around the office he made his way to Elizabeth and kissed her hand as the lords did but…

            Slap “Not enough, you specifically need to know your place. Now, bow down!”

            Knowing that he has no allies in this room my husband of over a decade resigned himself to his fate and did as she commanded. I found great pleasure in seeing the man I was bound to lower himself even more than I did for the past decade, and even better it was to my child.

            “Disgusting, I despise men like you, now leave. You are not to set foot in this room again.”

            After his rebuke my husband made his way out of the room as fast as his shaking legs allowed him.

 

POV: Elizabeth Verlie of house Silvier

            “I taught that I would need to deal with you first, to think that you would betray my father and take my side, ey Sir Mayron.”

            “My loyalty is absolute and that is the very reason why I did not intervene, I believe that you are the one hope of this house, no, this entire duchy. I will continue to serve house Silvier, or the way I see it, I will continue to serve you, the master of this domain.”

            Imitating the lords, Sir Mayron willingly took my hand and planted his own kiss of fealty.

            This hole debacle was a little bit more violent than what I wanted but desperate times call for desperate measures.

            The lords will not accept what I have done, and they will scheme to have me removed one way or the other but that is all meaningless. The time is now, I will conquer this duchy and rule it in my father’s stead, this way I can blame all my negative actions on him and continue to give off a squeaky-clean image, to the outsiders at least.

            Seeing that my mother had not made a single move from the moment she laid eyes on me I brought my hand forwards, hoping to reassure her but then I remembered my current state and withdrew to leave the room. However, I was stopped by something heavy holding me from behind, it was her, my mother, the noble women who likely never laid her eyes on blood let alone witnessed a slaughter. Then she whispered, “I accept it, if no one else I will accept your actions and share in your fate for you are my child.”

            Her words brought tears to my eyes, in both my lives, I could only find solace in my mothers.

23