Chapter 21 The Rise of a Countess Arc
328 8 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I felt the entire fortress trembling due to that man’s spell.

“To think that I let a combustion mage get so close to me…” sigh, to this day he might be the strongest enemy I ever had to fight, with that illusion assassin as a close second.

I am overpowered but that is not to say that I can’t be beaten or worst killed. There are many magic types that are strictly meant for combat and those mages that choose to specialize in them are the ones most likely to stand a real chance at killing me.

Due to that I have long wanted to create a spell that would alert me if anyone in my vicinity is a mage and preferably what their tree of magic is, sadly I have yet to find a way to construct such a spell. The brain power I would need to dedicate is enough of an obstacle, but the worst part is that I would need to continuously expand my magic. I even tried to structure it in a way as to turn it into a conjuration that would naturally draw in mana from the air and thus be active as long as there is magic around me, except every time I tried it led to my senses expanding exponentially without anyway to limit the range or the determining criteria.

Now that I think about it, it does not have to be a spell, maybe an artifact could serve as a sort of alarm if certain amount of magic in detected within a limited area such as the core of an individual. I would still need to find a way to spot mages who rely on environmental mana to create their spells, but I can’t think of a way to uncover those with such an ability.

Now I should find an artificer that is capable of creating such an artifact, however I do have a person in mind for this and if they reject my request then I could simply study the structure of the spell a bit more then find an enchanter to help me create the artifact. Asking them to create an artifact that can do what magic detection can but even better would send them into the moon, I honestly think that they will end up being the ones begging to work on such a project.

The issue of identifying their magic tree will still remain but simply being aware that a mage is in my proximity is enough of a boon that I am willing to wait until either I manage to craft such a spell or maybe the artificer or enchanter that will aid me in this project could be hired to improve upon it. After all those people love to innovate especially when it involves never before seen artifacts or crazy experiments.

I was brought back to the present when I felt that same explosive aura flickering in the edge of my now active aura projection. I turned to that direction, debating if I should give chase but decided against it. First of all, it might be a trap, second he is at the very edge of my detection area which means that there is at least five kilometres between us, that isn’t to say that I can’t catch up with him but that it would be meaningless due to reason number three, no matter what he found whilst looking into our plans it simply wouldn’t matter as these papers barely even mention my southern strategies and last but definitely not least, I am way too lazy to chase after a half dead man.

After feeling his presence, I tried to find out how he escaped. I sharpened my senses and examined the lower floor from a platform I created when I found a burnt limb. I deduced that he likely sacrificed his forearm to escape, that’s quite tenacious of him. I mean I remember when Lord Adam was chopping up some of my limbs to see how I would heal and believe me it hurts like hell.

“Bad memories, erase the bad memories! that demon in disguise is no longer your teacher, you are free, yes you’r free…” I shook my head and continued my examination.

Not long after I felt or to be more precise, I saw the entire fort shake. My first thought went to the spy, but he is simply too far away for his spells to have any real impact on such a large structure. That is when a giant of a man caring two bodies on his shoulder burst into the room.

That giant of course being a soaking wet Damian and the two guards I sent for him.

“What happened here? Are you all right?” Were the first words out of his mouth. The seen was so comical that I couldn’t help but laugh at him.

“I should be the one asking you that.”

“Don’t mind me, for whatever reason these two idiots threw a bucket of water at me.” He let out in a gruff voice then continued. “So, mind telling me what happened?”

“Nothing much, the usual actually. The marshal was a spy, I caught him, had a laugh together then started an epic battle that I of course won. Sadly, the spy, who by the way is also a combustion mage in addition to being an aura user, managed to escape.” I obviously won’t tell him that I let my guard down and almost got blown to bits. More than the fuss he would make, Damian would likely abandon everything and try to hunt down the enemy.

Damian is without a doubt one of the strongest people I know but the fact is that a combustion mage is simply more than what he can handle. Not to mention that I don’t want to look bad in his eyes.

Anyway, I explained what happened in a bit more detail before everyone within this fort tries to squeeze in this room, hoping for some juicy gossip.

Thankfully, most of the documents were intact with only some burnt or missing pieces.

As I had predicted everyone, from the servant staff to guards and the former masters of the house came to check on what happened. I simply chased them all away with the exception of the lord and his family who have much to answer to. I am honestly lost on what to do, the marshal was obviously working for someone a lot more important than a mere baron but at the same time I can’t just leave them be without some serious punishment. I first thought of rescinding my earlier offer to allow their son to live, but it simply wasn’t enough. At this point all their lives are forfeit, even if the marshal wasn’t acting on the baron’s orders the fact remains that he did steal documents pertaining to my current campaign which in itself is treason, but he also tried to kill me, thus making things even worst for them.

“You know that I can’t let this slide without shedding blood, right? I am pretty sure that you are unrelated to the earlier events, but the fact is that it happened in your castle with me, your liege, as a guest of honour.” They are the biggest pain the ass I had to deal with since the start of my eastern campaign. Everything was going so well but ever since I stepped foot within this cursed domain things started to get more and more complicated.

Why couldn’t they just fight me? At least if they had then I would simply destroy this measly fort and be on my marry way. Instead, here I am forced to deal with problem after problem.

‘I swear at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if a monster attacks this fort just to stick it to me.’

I still needed someone to govern this piece of land but given how the ruling family was so incompetent as to raise traitors and allow spies within their very homes I had no choice but to take the head of the patriarch. I will spare you the whaling, insults and straight up revolt that took place after my judgement came down. I ended up appointing the husband of the former lord’s daughter as governor. Well, that is until I find an appropriate replacement.

Once the war is over, I will revoke all the rights belonging to the nobility from land ownership to the personal retinues. This feudal society is far too decentralized. I don’t mind federalism but not when the subordinate state is capable of rivalling the central authority.

For now, governors will have to be appointed to prevent these regions from devolving into bandit infested dens. This will probably last for a handful of years until I am confident that the integration of the different territories is indeed working.

After two more days of sex and paperwork we finally were ready to leave this barony. This time there won’t be any more stops on the way as we have already subjugated all of the important nobles in the region. That mostly refers to the eastern Barons.

“Ready?” I look at Damian and grin “This is the last leg of this journey, after we subjugate Viscount Tiliup along with the rest of the lords who fled to his domain aiming for a last stand against me, we would have all but total control over this part of the Duchy. As for Viscount Mordry we will send a messenger urging him to surrender.”

Damian grins back at me and finishes my thoughts “Given the fact that the Mordrys are a military family they are sure to realize the power disparity between you and themselves. They will have no choice but to ether surrender or flee. Either option works for us since the only way they can avoid execution whilst retaining some level of power over their domain is to accept your revocation of their title and lands, making them no better than civil workers thought they won’t realize that for a while.”

“Well, what are we waiting for? Men we march! In two days this rebellion will be over!” Not really, we still have the south to worry about not to mention Aren’s potential medaling but as they say, one step at a time.

 

Changing POV to Aviela,

 

In a brightly lit room filled with posing peacocks in human skin are the two remaining members of the now destroyed kingdom of Halmhan’s royal family and I am one of them. Both in the sense that my brother is the legitimate heir of our fallen kingdom and that I am wearing enough colours to open an art exhibit about colours and how not to mix them.

But what can I do? I have no choice but to present myself as being as wealthy as my heritage would suggest. Not that we have any money left to our name.

When my father and I were smuggled to the Principality by his grace Duke Silvier, may his soul rest in peace, we were given a fortune in hopes that we would use it wisely and retake the kingdom by force or by plot, but nothing came of it.

Having born witness to the death of his entire family father fell into depression then alcoholism then gambling and finally down the window after I “accidentally” ran into him. I have no doubt that many suspect I voluntarily killed him, and the fact is that they’re not wrong.

I loved my father, but the fact is that he was better off dead, at least now he is with the rest of his family or wherever death lead him. In truth I wish I had killed him earlier, if I had then I would not need to deal with the man aiming for me.

“Dearest Sister how are you enjoying this fine celebration? I hope you have greeted my wife, after all you are now sisters.”

Yes, before dying daddy dearest had a bastard child with no other than a princess of the Principality. Officially they were married a month before his death but to my knowledge time magic has yet to be proven effective for anything other than blowing up whatever it is used upon. Moreover, I was somehow present and signed myself as one of the witnesses. Let’s be frank if it wasn’t him then it would have been one of the dozen other bastards my father sired in his two years of exile.

Nonetheless truly I am awed by the lengths they when to push me away from my rightful role of heir apparent. Not that it matters since once again my so-called kingdom doesn’t exist anymore. Anyway, I should answer him before he throws another fit.

“Of course dear brother, greeting our future queen is the first thing I did as soon as I arrived.”

Yuk, I feel like throwing up. having to play the role of the supportive older sister is killing me from the inside. Then again, I have no choice but to play along. Any action I take against him, or the Principality will result in my immediate termination. Not to mention that my plans are finally taking shape.

The ruling prince might believe himself a genius by trying to recreate Halmhan as a way to force back the kingdom of Realise but in truth I am the one who put the idea in his head and manipulated his advisers to push for it. Everything from forming an alliance with the duke of Rubens to the current divided state of the former kingdom, everything is my doing.

I might be dirt poor, I might have less power than even a peasant, I might be a prisoner in all but name but there is little anyone can do to prevent my schemes.

Having paid my respects to those in power I left the party and returned to my room.

‘I have better things to do than socialize with morons’

As I entered my room my nose was assaulted by a terrible smell coming from the corner and as I expected a young boy in tattered closes and with what I honestly hope isn’t excrement was sitting on a chair, patiently waiting for my arrival.

“Next time you come from latrine duty stay by the window or better the balcony. Now what do you have for me?”

The boy stood up and bowed then explained his reason for visiting. “My apologies, in truth this is something you asked to be notified about. Today morning the “Young Tyrant of Verlie” arrived at the barony of Sik, just as you predicted her progress is as frightening. However, that isn’t why I am here, about an hour ago she clashed with Sir Gill. I witnessed the fight through my Clairvoyance although I was unable to see how he lost; all I can say is that the young lady of the Silvier house is able to draw on ambient mana to such a degree that my spell lost all effect. Thankfully Sir Gill still lives, I spoke to him minutes after their fight, and he ask for assistance to which I agreed. One of our operatives is a day’s ride away from his position. Other than that, we can now confirm that the “Fortuna Trading Company” is indeed the personal property of the Young Tyrant.”

Having given his report, the boy stepped back to allow his master to think on the information he just presented.

“It was obvious that she owned the “Fortuna Trading Company” how else could she amass such wealth and flaunt in front of all the nobles of her duchy as if it were nothing, in addition, throughout her eastern campaign, she and her solders stayed for the most part in domains owned or at least administered by her company. At this point I am certain that the girl is a genius with limitless potential. I wish I could get her on my side.”

“Why? Do you think she will oppose your plans?”

“No, I am certain that she has plans of her own and sadly they are incompatible with mine.”

The boy’s eyes twitched to wish I gave him a smile “Yes, she’s making a play for the crown. Here goes my plan to bring in Verlie as a guarantee to placing that bastard on the throne. Anyway, make sure that that bitch of his doesn’t give birth to a child, if she does then things will get complicated to say the least.”

I could try to reinstitute the Duke of Verlie but I doubt she hasn’t accounted for such an event. At this point Elizabeth is a wild card I can’t predict. Her personal power far eclipses anyone else I know, and I am not talking about her mercenaries but her magic. She can destroy city walls made to defend against monsters, she defeated my strongest remaining supporter, Sir Gill in mere minutes, and according to the assassin guild she can heal all wounds, is immune to all known poisons and rarely sleeps.

At this point all I can do is call her a god and build a temple to worship her. I don’t know what is exaggerated and what isn’t but what I am absolutely certain of is that she is the greatest threat after the united front of Gondar and Aren.

“Tell me, how are we doing financially?”

“Including the donations by your supporters and your investments in both the bank of Welkan and the Southern trading company, we have an access of about 420 gold.”

“Good, put a bounty on: Lady Elizabeth Verlie of house Silver, make it 300 gold. It is best to get rid of her now as her power has yet to stabilize. Also send agitators to her territories, anything from defamation to sabotage is allowed as long as they get in her way.

“It will be done.”

To think a child has bested me in everything from wealth to influence. I don’t know whether to be ashamed of myself of awed by her. In over thirty years I barely managed to get the gears rolling and yet in a fraction of that time this brat made herself duchess in all but name.

Whatever you are I can guarantee you this, I won’t go down without a fight.

‘My deepest apologies uncle John your granddaughter is as excellent as you, but sadly she lacks the loyalty you gave your life to uphold.’

I would like to apologize for not uploading in a while, I am extremely busy but I promise that from now on i will upload at least once per week unless something drastic happens.

11