Chapter 18 The Rise of a Countess Arc
319 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Baron Sik POV

            Bamm, Bamm, Bamm…

            I was woken up by a frantic knight bashing down my door, or really trying to break it open. I on the other hand was as calm as the autumn weather, tranquil with no more than a hint of the coming winter.

            I slowly rose up from my bed, putting a hand on my panicking wife’s shoulder to try and reassure her then moved to open the door. Not that I needed to since there could only be one reason why anyone would wake me at such an hour.

            “My lord, the unit of mercenaries headed by the duke’s daughter has been spotted… what are we to do?”

            As if there is anything we can do, “Open the door to the fortress, I will make my way to the gate to welcome her.”

            “But my lord! What if she kills you and takes the opportunity to burn down this fortress like she did in Katulm.”

            He’s not wrong but there is nothing we can do, even if we chose to resist her, she would still take us down. The only difference will be the scale of her offensive. If my head is enough to spare my men and the rest of my family, then I will see it as a cheap price.

            “I will take the chance, I heard from a trader that she spared most of the lords who surrendered to her, if anything I too agree with her judgement… to some extent.” Yes, I truly do.

            Most of the nobles she executed are either pillars of the coming rebellion or they were incompetent to the point that I would also have liked to take then down if only I had the power or if our liege was stronger of spirit.

            “Where is Cordrey?”

            “He fled north, hoping to find refuge with Viscount Tiliup.”

            “Let’s hope that him escaping will not bring her fury upon us”

            Sigh, that foolish son of mine, if only he hadn’t sworn himself to Viscount Katimus. Being a mage inflated his ego to the point he became blind to the fact that there are always those who stand above and beyond what the best of us could achieve. A little like this girl, a frightening expression of pure power the likes of which I have only read about in legends.

            No, I shouldn’t blame him, I was the one who agreed to back the east’s plan to rebel, and frankly I still see it as the right decision. The duke is weak, he has always been weak even as a child and although he is fair in his judgement and policy that does not compensate for his lack of political acumen and military force.

            Then again if I knew about how prodigious his daughter was, I might have taken a different path. When I first heard of what she did during her birthday celebration I only took her as an overly confident child who knew not of the burden of leadership, but she proved me wrong. Here she is, having overthrown her father and leading a successful suppression of a revolt half the size of the duchy, without even making use of her family knights who are supposed to be a noble’s greatest strength. Although they are likely holding the south at bay whilst she takes care of us.

            The best I can hope for is that she would spare the people of this fortress and if I may be so selfish, I would also hope that she would spare my fool of a son.

            After dressing myself appropriately to receive my liege’s heir apparent I stood by the entrance to the fortress with my second in command, my wife, and eldest daughter, her husband and the last remaining potential inheritor of my lands and title, although whether they will still be mine by the end of the day will all depend on how hard I can grovel.

            Funny, here I am, an almost 90 years old man, fearing what the verdict of a child who’s only a fraction of my age will be.

            We did not have to wait for long as only a few minutes after we were ready for the reception, we saw plumes of dirt preceding the arrival of a force around a thousand strong.

            “Their speed is truly impressive.” Said my second in command.

            “That must be the linchpin of their strategy to efficiently subjugate the east.” I answered, confident as I too use to be one of the main adjutants under her grandfather, Lord Earen of house Silvier. We used this very strategy to try and take down the rebel lords during the war fifty years ago, but we failed miserably. I find it sort of fulfilling, seeing her succeed where we failed.

            This fort was built on top of the hill to give us an advantage over invaders, whilst the village is located at the foot of hill to make commerce and tending to the fields easier.

            Most of their army stopped at the village whilst only a dozen individuals on horses continued making their way to the fortress.

            One of them was carrying the duke’s family crest on a banner whilst the others are likely guards for the young lady who oddly looks as if she is already an adult. Could I be mistaken, and the duke’s daughter stayed with the unit in the village? It might even be the proper thing to do as to show superiority, but that woman is the very picture of the former duke. From her dark silver hair and green eyes that skipped her father’s generation to the aura surrounding her. It is almost as if I am looking at his grace Duke Earen.

            I couldn’t stop staring at her to the point where I almost missed the time to kneel which would likely result in her displeasure, something that I am hoping to avoid.

            “We greet her grace, the lady of house Silvier.” I announce whilst all those present showed their respect.

            She truly is like her grandfather, even the passive aura she projects is almost identical. Could it be that my lord has come back from the grave to judge me for my traitorous actions against his family?

            The young girl who oddly looks like a grown woman gently dismounted from her horse, her gorgeous royal blue dress reflecting the light of the morning sun she stepped forwards and scanned the area until she found me. Then she spoke, “Baron Sik you are accused of rebelling against your liege. How will you answer to your treason?” Her aura flared up for a moment before it dissipated leaving only the lightest feeling of oppression behind it.

            I could hear my guards shaking in their boots or maybe that’s me? Whichever one it is I can only thank my years of experience and the instincts I have developed for surrendering rather than attempting a meaningless resistance.

            “Your grace I plead guilty to being a traitor to the duchy and I will accept any punishment you decide upon, but if I may I would beg for you to spare my people and my family.” At this moment I can only hope that she would show us mercy and spare them for I know that I am a lost cause.

            Though it can be said that my son is the very reason for our family’s current situation I simply cannot blame the boy. I am the lord of these lands and if it wasn’t for my lack of wisdom, I would have warned him not to join that cabal of traitors in the eastern faction. Yes, I am the one who is lacking, I am the reason behind our current circumstances for I am the lord and the head of our family and the final decision maker.

            The girl’s aura flared up once more before presenting her judgement like an edict from a higher power, “I have heard your plea and I shall grant it. From today onwards the territory of Sik will be transferred to house Silvier, those of your house with the exception of your son Cordrey will be spared, including yourself. As you have shown remorse for your misguided actions not to mention the extenuating circumstances that lead to you rebelling, I will present you with a choice…” The pressure increased upon me to the point that my old bones started creaking before she continued. “You could leave this duchy as a whole or remain whilst becoming a governor under the duke. If you choose to leave than know that I will allow you to keep whatever you can carry in your hands as payment for your past services under both my father and grandfather, what shall you choose?”

            I felt my stomach sink, at first. I felt joy rise from the bottom of my heart, she gave me hope, she said she would spare them but then realization dawned on me, my son is the exception. My life matters not, she could take it if only she would spare him. I know that the grace she has granted me, and my family is far beyond what even I hoped for, but could a father truly forsake his own child? I knew that I was threading a fine line, but I at least had to try, if I didn’t then I could never see myself as noble at heart if not in status. I will be putting everyone else in danger, but I must try at least.

            I bowed my head deeper then made my appeal. “Your grace, I would beg you spare my son. I would give all I have for that one wish, whether it be my wealth or my labor you ask for then I shall give it gladly, but I beg of you please spare that boy.” I had to try, if I hadn’t then I would not have been able to pass in peace once the time came, even if the time is now as payment for my insolence.

            “I understand your grief, though I am without children, but I know of the link that exist between parent and child, but you must also understand that your son is the source of your treason and a bane I am unwilling to deal with. The greatest mercy I can grant him, and you, would be turning him into a slave bound to me by a curse of loyalty and servitude. If his life is all you care for then I promise to spare him on those conditions, some might argue that turning him into a magic bound slave is a fate even worse than death, but I will not comment upon it. I shall give you the rest of the day to decide upon my offer but mind you, I will not abide a future source of problems to draw breath under any other condition, so I ask you to think about it hard and that you not ask for the impossible for my mercy has limits.”

            My wife collapsed after hearing our son’s fate, I couldn’t blame her as I too was barely holding on, but I had no time to comfort her and instead left her in the care of my daughter and son in law so that I could attend to our guest.

            However, I could not get her words out of my head, I cannot fault her for presenting me with such a conundrum as she too needs to ensure that she does not create future problems for herself and the duchy. I understand it but I cannot bring myself to accept it.

            My son will either die a dog’s death or he will become a slave with no will of his own, a dog with a tight leach on his neck, reducing him to a tool of convenience. No, I shouldn’t get so hasty as to predict the loss of the eastern lords. Viscount Tiliup is a crafty man, he surly has contingencies in the case he was discovered before the preparations were done with in regard to the rebellion. With a force barely numbering a thousand the odds are certainly not in her favor.

            If the Viscount can rally the neighbouring lords and draw to him the strength of the bordering independent nobles of the former kingdom, then it can be said that he would be the one with the advantage. Although with a wild piece like the duke’s daughter at play, one can never guess to what the outcome of any battle would be. A mage able to devastate an entire city by using a single spell is a walking calamity, unless the Viscount manages to assemble a force made up entirely of mages and master aura users then I can’t see him winning against her.

            My own son has gone and joined him, and I am willing to bet that many other nobles will willingly agree to have the mages at their employ, whether they be family or hired for money, join in battle, teachings of the temples be dammed.

            Not even she could win a battle on her own, of that I am convinced.

            These traitorous thoughts are likely a product of my desire for my son to live, not as a slave but as a free man, unbound by anyone.

            As we walked the gloomy mood around the fortress lifted. The men have likely deduced that she agreed to my surrender and that they need not die needlessly. I cannot blame them, after all who would want to battle this monster in human skin.

            Some might think that this would be the perfect time to ambush and get rid of her but those who have such thoughts are simply incapable of understanding what her oppressive aura entails. She is a force of nature the likes of which is only rarely seen in this world.

            As a former knight and general under her grandfather I can tell that even wounding her would be an accomplishment in itself but killing her is nothing more than a daydream one would have after she already slid one’s neck off.

            As requested, I escorted the group deeper into the fort so that they might inspect the accounts and designated the resources that are to be transferred to the marching army and others to be sent to a certain location.

            Arriving at what use to be my office, I bowed and tried to excuse myself, but it was not to be.

            “Governor Sik, I have sent word to some of my associates to visit these lands and perform a study on the region. I want you to aid them in any way you can.”

            “If it is your will my lady, but if I may I would like to know of their reason for coming to better prepare and not waste their time.” To think that I, the black wolf of the battlefield, will be reduced to acting like a butler. I would normally be furious at this turn of events but for whatever reason I see this as being perfectly normal. It is as if the world is telling me that my status is what ever the lady wishes it to be.

            “Hmm… yes, they will be examining the land to see if there are any extractable resources in the area. During a sortie to this eastern region, I participated in along with the knights of the family, I found many areas filled with untouched resources and am hoping that the same will apply here. Sadly, I do not have the time to look for them myself as such professionals will be looking in my stead.”

            “I will make sure they have access to the entire territory and will also prepare an escort for them.”

            “Good, I will be counting on you.”

            I bowed my head and made my exit, for now I have a decision to make. Bondage and survival or death. How is a father to make a decision on his son’s fate? The answer is that I can’t, but as I have no other choice but to do so I will do what I believe to be best.

            Entering my bedroom, I find my wife crying in my daughter’s arms. She is surly in even more pain than me after all he was the only one of our sons who managed to survive.

            I approached them then decided, “This decision is not mine alone to make, you all have the right to give your opinions.” We are no longer nobles so my word as the head of the family holds a lot less weight to it. Peasants have a less rigid familial system where the head of the family is still the one in charge but unlike nobles his authority is not absolute. The rest of the family members can have a say in all major decisions.

            “I cannot make this choice alone, to be honest I don’t think anyone but Cordrey should make this decision, it is his life after all. Nevertheless, this burden has been placed on us and his life is in our hands so let me ask you all, what do you think is way to proceed?” It is cruel of me to force them to be complicit in this decision, but I cannot resolve this issue on my own and asking for any more out of lady Elizabeth would likely result in more than just simple death for my son and might even involve those who have been spared. She knows of what he did, she has already proven herself merciful, anymore and we might lose what little we have left.

            Alena, my daughter separated herself from my wife, stood up and made her views on the matter known. “I say death. Being reduced to a curse bound slave to such a frightening woman cannot produce any sort of positive outcome. I mean think about it, what if she makes him do things that go against his nature or worst what if she forces him to participate in her wars. Do you think she will stop at simply subjugating the east? Because it is obvious to me that taking down the eastern faction is nothing more than a side quest to her. What if he is sent into battle? What will the gods think of him or us who, for all intent and purposes, gave him to her to be used in any way she pleases. This is my point of view and yes, I know that there will be those who see this as me trying to overtake my brother and make my husband baron but we already lost our noble title and we have no idea as to how this governor system works. The fact remains that the alternative is him being turned into a slave and because I care for him, I do not wish for him to be used in such a way.”

            It makes sense, Cordrey is a mage and a quite decent one at that. He could be used in a number of ways that would certainly turn him into an asset, even if he lacks free will. The number of atrocities he could commit if he was ever forced to do so and incalculable and that is not to mention the atrocities that can be done to him. I know of mad cultists that kidnap mages to try and understand the difference between them and the rest of the peoples. The experiments that are conducted are known to be so horrible that the few times mages were saved from such people they were turned either mad themselves or invalid.

            We do not know what the duke’s daughter has instored for him and I doubt that she is one of those cult members but even then, I wouldn’t put it passed her to use my son as a tool of war.

            My wife only wept harder at the image of our son acting against his will. Knowing that she would still need time before she could present her own opinion, I decided to share my point of view.

            “I agree that what Alena said is a real possibility, if anything it is the greatest reason for my inability to make a decision however, I do not think it to be that much of an issue. Him being used as a tool of war is likely to have happened either way as with the young lady taking power over from her father and seeing what she herself can accomplish, she will likely demand that mages join under her in the event of war. Having already disregarded the teachings of the temples there is no reason for her to hold back. I think that Cordrey being alive is the better choice, he might not be the same person we remember once he falls under her control but at least we can find solace in the fact that he is alive.”

            Having made my position on the matter clear I stepped back and waited for the last person whose opinion is likely to break the tie. My son in law kept quiet for obvious reasons which I appreciated.

            Having finished crying my wife stayed quiet for what seemed like an eternity. Hardening her face, she opened her mouth and othered a single word “Slave” then leaned back on Alena.

            Her decision should have been obvious to me, what mother would sentence her own son to death?

I would like to apologize for not recently uploading, I have been traveling and frankly there is nothing more stressful than that.

16