3 Press
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It happened with a war, one the vampires sat on the sidelines to watch, confident the humans would prevail as they often did because man was a cruel breed and the otherwise gentle children of Runes feared such aggression.

Only, the children of Rune magic to answer these drums of battle this time weren't the gentle fauns or the curious pixies. They were the griffins, the harpies, and other war-weathered creatures. They were ancient, and more than ready to wipe mankind clear off the map. Which they did.

And vampires?

No amount of regrets would bring the humans back. Because they'd waited. At their request, witches conjured up spells, soothsayers peered into the hidden, all in search of a glimpse of man but after ten years there was no sense in denying it any longer.

All humans were dead.

***

Eli had nothing to say as he watched the city race by, Slade at his side.

The stretched car was a new design. It allowed up to four people to sit facing each other, two on either side. Lomos, opposite Eli, still dressed in his Wolf Brigade garb, tried to sound cold.

"Best if we get this underway before sunup." At the silence, Lomos sought assurance. "Eh, Eli?"

After a short bout of silence, Eli finally said, "There's no way they'll let this happen before sunup."

Sat hunched over, hands clasped in a wooden plank, Slade watched the floor. "You two are stupid for accompanying me."

On Lomos's left, Manny slumped against the window. He waved now and then. Outside, flying high above, Trixie waved back.

"With all due respect, ma'am," Lomos said, "we're literally the only ones who can."

Eli focused on the world outside that car—it was far easier to deal with.

"Former pets would be excused for their loyalty to their Sovereign," Eli muttered.

"Sure," Slade drawled. "If I was Sovereign at the time of your servitude. You two forgetting that?"

Lomos watched Slade in sympathy. "Ma'am—"

"Don't do this to yourself," Slade said. "When this car stops, you take off. You take the side that'll keep you and yours outta silver."

Lomos's gaze dimmed. The way he started taking interest in the window meant he agreed.

That just left Eli.

Slade turned to him, but he didn't meet her gaze when he warned, "Say it, and you won't like my damn answer."

By the time the courthouse closed in, morning came, painting the sky in orange and blue.

And then the crowd gathere. It was a few people at first, and then they were everywhere. All manner of creatures lined the street, some holding signs.

Eli jumped out of the car, Lomos on his heels, and hurried around to the other side. "Leave Manny to Trix," he told Lomos. "You can go. I'll get the sovereign inside." Before the wolf leader could conduct his own escape, Eli caught his arm. "Give us a clear path."

Trixie swooped down and careened to a halt before them. "Come on, Manny, Manny. Trixie's got you."

But instead of taking off into the sky, she brought her jaket over her shoulder and hefted Manny up.

Slade was a bigger problem, she refused to exit the vehicle. It seemed less like a refusal and more an inability. That meant one thing, Fae blood withdrawal. So she had been telling the truth—she'd attacked that fairy. This was unlike her.

"Can you get up?" Eli asked. "Should I carry you?"

The glare she cut him stole any other foolish utterances he'd had planned.

"Trixie can't carry both of you, boss. Sun's almost up, too."

Slade slipped out of the car. Her knees buckled and she lost power like a discarded marinate.

"Ma'am!" Eli panicked and reached for her.

No sooner had he touched her shoulder, she said, "Don't, pup. You're gonna get yourself hurt. I need a minute, but I can walk."

The nickname was a slip of the tongue. Upon realizing it, they met eyes.

Slade wasn't as stunning as the others in her family, but her determination in the face of danger was her most charming asset. Even now, with her wavy brown hair faded, her face somewhat gaunt, and her lips cracking—even now, that determination hadn't dulled.

It was what fueled her to stand.

Eli stood by just in case she fell again. When he was sure she was steady, he caught sight of the awaiting Wolf Brigade. "Come on. If we can get to them, they'll bring you the rest of the way."

The journey to the steps leading into the building was slow and laborious, hampered by the rowdy crowd.

A reporter hurried beside them, walking backwards as she spoke into the camera. "And now that the vampire's arrived, having brutally attacked a group of Fae unprovoked, many are questioning the strength of the Wolf Brigade. Sophia Dresden, known as Slade, Do you have anything to say in your defense?"

Slade kept her head low as she marched on. Eli swatted down a bottle thrown at them.

Even the reporter ducked. "Isn't it true you got the call name Slade due to your involvement in the Fae cleansing? A massacre that killed over thirty Fae. Most old and feeble?"

Trixie, Manny in her arms, stayed close as they weaved through the crowd.

The reporter, to her credit, didn't miss a beat.

"Is this some sort of fetish," she asked, "attacking fairies? You even drank their blood."

They were almost at the top. Eli allowed the Wolf Brigade to lead Slade and Trixie on as he stopped to address the reporter.

"I was there firsthand. You can ask me any questions."

Three hours later, the four of them sat in an empty courtroom.

Manny, weak to the sun even while indoors, lay with his head in Trixie's lap. Anyone could say what they wanted about harpies, but they were good natured. That was the best description for Trixie as she continued to pat Manny's shoulder. She'd gone so far as to use her jacket to cover him.

Sitting on the bench in front of them, the next row over, Eli started talking crazy.

"You could have run off. You've got a damn harpy," he grumbled.

Trixie interjected, "Common misconception. Ain't easy carrying a body, 'specially a dangling body. Unless it's a baby. We're real good at snatching up babies, in fact—"

"Or," Eli shouted, "or you could have not injured a damn fairy. That would have been good, too."

Slade fell onto him. The action quieted them until she said, "Just so you know, I'm not leaning on you of my own volition. Push me back up."

Groaning, Eli complied. "Of all the asinine—look at you."

Hunched, Slade wheezed, "The Fae blood's wearing off, Trix."

Trixie reached around to touch Slade's forehead. "Oh. Yeah. This is bad."

Body vibrating, Slade begged, "Don't sugarcoat it. How bad?"

Pale blue eyes blinking, Trixie considered it. "Reckon you've got about another hour before you're on the floor singing. And it ain't a pleasant tune."

"Fuck."

"And chances are, they're waiting for the sun to get high enough 'fore commencing. So...yeah, it won't be a dignified cry for mercy, I'd say."

This time when Slade fell against Eli, rather than voice her disgust of the fact, she curled into him.

Eli risked wrapping his arms around her. "If it's blood—"

"Yes. Because a pack of wolves smelling the remnants of Fae blood then werewolf blood on me will certainly work in my favor."

There was no argument after that. Everything in him wanted to admonish her for drinking Fae blood in the first place. That wasn't like her. That was more a habit for.... Eli looked back at the harpy and the stupid vampire she cared for. Manny.

Tightening his hold, Eli grumbled, "How about harpy blood?"

"I know you're just joking, sir," Trixie offered, "but harpy blood's not good for vampires. And since harpies and Fae are kin, having one after da other'll...how do I say this in layman's terms? It'll fuck her up." At their silence, Trixie clarified, "In a bad way."

"Yes." Eli glared at her. "I gathered that's what you meant."

"But I got some runes here." Trixie tapped her person. Two feathers cascaded to the floor and she snatched them up, embarrassed. "Sorry. Feathers from those places tend to shed."

Eli raised an eyebrow at her. "Those places—no. Never mind. I'd rather not know."

Trixie's runes turned up in her jacket pocket of all places.

"Who puts something so valuable as concentrated magic into something so easily discarded?" Eli marveled.

The first rune was a green pebble, the second a red paste.

"What...exactly do these do?"

Trixie raised a gray eyebrow at him. "If I'm honest, sir, I dunno. I just suck the magic outta dam now and then."

She put them into his hand before the words could compute.

"Suck?" Eli met her stupefied gaze. "You...you put these in your mouth?"

"Mouth?" Trixie had the grace to blush. "I suppose that'd been a better option."

Eli cringed. "And how the hell am I to...administer them now?"

The harpy blinked at him. "By...crushing one down and rubbing it on her neck?"

Was that a question?

"Rune negates rune—the basic ones. So it should take away the effects of the Fae blood. Second one after that'll give her bout...three hours of energy."

"That's useless," Eli lamented.

"Nah. Boss is real stingy. She can stretch that out for hours. Once saw her stretch out the tiniest rune for a day. Right boss? It was so tiny; it was barely worth the damn effort."

Slade, voice muffled by Eli's throat, said, "Shut up. And I told you to keep your runes for yourself. You'll need 'em."

"Ain't got no reparations to pay back like the vamps. Don't need 'em."

The silence meant Slade wouldn't cooperate.

"All right," Trixie said, winking at Eli but speaking to Slade. "I'll take 'em back, shall I?" She nodded Eli on, mouthing, "Do it."

Eli looked at the stones and mouthed back, "Which one first?"

Trixie tapped the red one and brought her hand to her throat. If that was meant to mean death, Eli wasn't sure. He scrambled for a possible hint.

His left arm still around Slade, he whispered, "Blue? Blue first?"

Trixie cocked her head. "What?"

"They're colorblind, idiot," Slade grumbled.

Nodding, Trixie laughed. "Boss is always clever."

The two doors at the back opened and people shuffled in.

Eli thought fast and crushed both runes together, praying it'd do some good. He managed to slap the paste-like substance against the back of Slade's neck as the last of the officials took their places.

Trixie watched the spectacle but whispered to Eli. "Whatever you do, just don't mix 'em together."

Body frozen, Eli rotated his head to face her. "What? What happens then?"

A gavel sounded and everyone stood.

Trixie pulled Manny up with her.

"Trix?" Eli took to yanking Slade up. "Trix, what happens then?"

"Shh!" a minotaur bailiff ordered.

The reason for the solemn atmosphere became apparent shortly after as a practically mummified fairy was wheeled in on a incredibly complex looking half-bed, half-wheel chair. An arm cast and two leg casts?

Eli eyed them in contempt. Last was Marrow who waddled in, a neck brace snugly affixed.

Trixie's sudden laugh left the room humming. Her amusement was understandable—this was absurd.

Slade's body trembled under Eli's touch. That same bailiff came back, shaking his head, indicating they separate.

Though reluctant, Eli complied. He held his hands out just in case she fell again.

She looked steady, albeit...unstable.

For the next twenty minutes, Slade could sit up on her own. Whatever the effects of two runes mixed together, it seemed mild for vampires. Maybe Trixie'd meant it was dangerous for her own kind.

"Trixie?" Slade said.

The harpy's eyes widened as she sat with Manny's head on her shoulder. "Yes, Legion?"

Eli looked back at her, confused.

"How long do I have?"

Trixie swallowed hard and breathed out, "Six minutes—at best."

"Good." Slade rose to her feet. "Take care of Manos."

After glancing down to Manny, Trixie nodded. "Yes, Legion."

Eli watched as the room responded to Slade's boldness. He managed to tear he eyes away from that scene and focused on Trixie who eyed him in hate.

"Moron," Trixie admonished.

"Legion?" Eli froze as the thought occurred to him. "Is that...?"

But it was more than obvious from the confident demeanor as the woman waited to address the crowd.

Eli growled, "You...."

Slade glanced back to him and winked. "Hey, lover." She set off toward the Fae on the other side of the room but called back. "Trixie, if Manos's Legion awakens, you put it back to sleep."

"Yes, Legion," Trixie answered. She stared after Slade but finally acknowledge Eli's hateful glare. "What? It's your fault. You mixed the runes! Who mixes runes?"

Eli had one nerve left. "What is that thing? How do we get rid of it?"

Trixie sunk lower in her seat. The way she held Manny said she needed the comfort more than he did. "You don't. And you shouldn't. And I can't talk about it."

Gnashing his teeth together, Eli whispered, "Your loyalty is to the sovereign."

Trixie wouldn't look at him. "And that is why I can't talk about it. Watch."

Slade slowed in her stride, hands up as she approached the frantic group of fairies. "Please. Please," she said, head bowed. "I come to ask for forgiveness."

Marrow bobbed and dipped as he tried to escape her reach; he couldn't get far. "Get her away—get it away!"

The gavel sounded and the faun holding it, demanded attention.

"Sophie Dresden, stand your ground."

Slade's posture still hunched as she turned to address their authority. "I plead guilty for all my charges, and I beg for mercy."

"Mercy?" the injured female fairy squawked, struggling to turn her head. "Like the mercy she showed me? Like the mercy she showed my grandfather? What mercy?"

The faun judge told Slade, "I'd hoped to never see your kind in here again. The last time, you bowed your head and got away. I doubt your back can withstand just how much show of humility's instore."

Slade kept her eyes low. "It's true. And I have no other excuse than to call it a moment of madness. But what happened to these beautiful fairy folk at my hand is still unforgivable." She entreated Marrow, "You're such a good and just tax collector. I couldn't say a critical thing to you even if I tried."

Marrow's face regained some color. His wings fluttered freer, too. He took in a deep breath, drinking in the praise and the rune magic that reacted to it.

"Such a sweet and honest man," Slade went on.

Cheeks bright pink, Marrow zipped forward then back. He looked reborn.

"Well," Marrow said, "I suppose you do look sorry."

"I am," Slade went on, "and what handsome brave colleagues you brought with you. Now, you say it's a prank, but I could just imagine it to be more."

The two male fairies in attendance sat up, the smaller one asking, "You could?"

"Of course. You saw us about to feed and perhaps felt threatened by the idea of us being at full power—or any power, really. So you were forced to take such drastic measures. How brave. I bet you were scared, you little hero."

The small fairy glowed, a brightening sheen. "That's right. I'm a hero."

"And you...."

Pointing to himself, the tall fairy looked around. "Me?"

"Yes, of course. Look how gentle and meek you are, and yet I still set upon you in anger. I'm sure others expect so much from a tall Fae like you, all the time."

The fairy's cheeks filled. His baritone voice thundered despite his mumbles, "That is so true. No one really gets it. Nobody's ever gotten it till now."

Eli watched on, awed. "This is incredible."

Trixie counted down. "Two...one."

Slade kept her pensive expression as she held out her arms. "Am I worthy of a hug? You fairies are such generous folk. I'm sure you'll have mercy on me."

They rushed her, even the female fair, cast from head to toe, fluttered toward her.

"Mother fucker," Slade drawled.

One Fae came to a stop and the rest bumped into each other due to the chain reaction.

Slade scanned the room, eyes cloudy.

"That time, I was awake." Slade looked from the fairies to the judge then back again. For a long time, she didn't move.

Eli willed her to shut up. In time, he even whispered it, "Just shut up. Shut up and take this way out."

Trixie scoffed, "Then you don't know the boss."

When Slade finally spoke again, it was to no one in particular. "That's it, isn't it?" Slade asked the Fae. "You're easily bought with a few kind words. A bit of groveling's all you're really after."

"Yes, that's all they're after," Eli whispered, "so shut up and let them have it."

There was no way she could hear but deep down, Eli was sure no amount of words could change Slade's mind—not when she turned to address the faun.

"Well fuck them. And fuck you."

The crowed gasped.

"You want to know what happened?" Slade asked. They surely didn't but that didn't stop her. "These spiteful little bastard fairies came to starve us for fun."

A collective silence fell over the room until Marrow gave off a weak chuckle. "Starve? Who? Fampires? How many dead fampires you see in the streets?"

One chuckle sounded, then another.

There were no dead vampires, but Slade couldn't tell them why—she wouldn't dare.

"Vampires can't die," the faun said. "We all know this."

Slade swallowed her automatic response. Finally, she asked, "Then why the wooden bullets? You all know it won't kill us. And it's harder to remove than metal because the wood fractures. And yet...you lot still use them—still authorize them."

Eli wasn't confident about Slade's tone but her logic certainly resounded. It was cruel, everyone had whispered it to themselves here and there.

Marrow looked around, disbelieving. "What? Oh boo-hoo. The fampires are hurt. The poor, feeble, helpless fampires who'd never hurt an elf! Ha! Who are you telling that to, fampire? Yes, we ruined your blood and yes, we did it on purpose and yes," he screamed, "everyone here should thank us for it."

His voice reverberated.

Most of the sympathetic looks in the crowd vanished.

"Everyone. Every race here has a bone to pick with the famps. Each and every one. Even the damn harpies they enslave! Look at that one, forced to turn nursemaid. You think a fampire would care about what happens to those who serve it?"

He couldn't flutter as high now with the praises no longer fueling his rune, but he was visible enough.

"My own father and grandfather died by the hands of the fampires. Slade herself gave the final blow."

The gasp that time had Eli rubbing his face.

"Oh," Slade argued, "you want me to elaborate on that?"

Marrow lowed and bobbed to take refuge back with his kind.

"Sophia Dresden," the faun called, "you admit to this?"

"Please," Eli begged in a whisper, "please just don't—"

"Oh gladly."

Eli slapped his face. "Shit." He looked to Trixie for help and got a slow shrug.

Slade looked smug. "His grandfather stole a baby."

The faun didn't react much. "Yes. It sometimes happens that fairies steal babies here and there. We've come to understand that it's just a strange habit. Most are brought back unharmed. Others that require a search are always turned over to the authorities without incident."

Head cocked, Slade asked, "Wait, you idiots know about this and allow it?" She didn't wait for an answer. "Do you know what they do to babies?"

The silence meant no one did.

Marrow's nervous laugh failed to mature into a chuckle despite his efforts. "Why are we listening to this monster?"

"Monster?" Slade turned to him. "You sick fucks and what you do to children and any animal too weak to escape your perverted clutches are the true monsters. Babies returned unharmed? I hope they perform a thorough physical on said child."

In the ensuing silence, Slade leaned in close.

"And it didn't even take much to off your grandfather. Me catching him in the act was enough to drop his power. A kick to the groin and his body shattered like a shell. So you could say the shame killed him, not me. But I'd gladly take credit for it."

The gavel sounding stopped her from continuing.

"That's enough," the faun said. "You know the law. The Fae are emotion bound. Their rune reacts to words. For the rest of us, it's sticks and stones, for them, words can literally harm them. Throwing out falsehoods—"

"Falsehoods? Eh. I guess saying that's better than admitting that you carelessly let this little flying rats abuse the children of Rune unchallenged. Right?"

The direct attack was met with a direct ultimatum. "Apologize to this court. Apologize to the Fae, and apologize to your fellow citizens and you might leave here with the layer of skin you walked in with."

Slade finally cast her gaze low, submitting.

Eli prayed she'd keep it that way.

No such luck.

"I won't defend vampires," Slade said, thoughtful. "We were cruel. When we ruled, we weren't gracious in our reign—even me. Though I wasn't sovereign at the time, I take on that title now and all the responsibility that goes with it. Not a day goes by that I don't regret not being a better person when it counted. I won't even defend what we did against the Fae, though I will admit that in all we did, that target might have been the only just one we had." She ignored the murmurs of protest. "At one time I could have grouped all Fae together, but I won't do that now. So to say there aren't some innocents felled by our hands? I can't make that claim. There are countless. Comparing us then to us now—now when we are literally of no threat to no one—I'm compelled to speak my mind. Would I be this way if I hadn't fallen from grace with the others? No. I'd still be a tyrant."

"A tyrant? A tyrant doesn't do it justice!" the faun rose from her seat. "Need I remind you what brought your downfall? Need I remind you what sealed your end?"

Slade returned the cold stare.

"Two hundred wolves. Two hundred werewolves forced to shift into wolf from then fixed on the orders of their Sovereign, your brother."

And just like that, all chance Slade had at getting out of this vanished. Eli himself though to argue for her. She wasn't the Sovereign then. She had no part in it. She even fought it. But there was no point in saying it now?

"Two hundred?" Slade asked. "It's quite a leap from twenty to two hundred."

"Even one," the faun growled, "even one is unforgiveable."

With this, Slade nodded. "It was—it is. I do not argue it. The vampires were cruel. So I do not beg for your mercy or sympathy. But I deserve it."

The crowd erupted. Even the sound of the gavel did little to calm them.

"And I say to you all," Slade called.

More than ready for further reasons to hate her, the spectators quieted and let her speak.

"And I say to you all," Slade repeated. "Be mindful of how you treat me now. Because yesterday was my time of power, today's yours, none of you knows what tomorrow brings."

Face set in a scowl, the faun brought the gavel down. "It's brings you one day in the sun."

Slade took the gold from her pocket and flicked it in their direction, disgusted. "It was always going to bring me a day in the sun, assholes."

2