Chapter Four
153 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Had the soldier’s cries not been so aggrieved, Yong Haoyu would have never rushed over. 

The man screamed like he were being attacked by a beast, and, until Yong Haoyu got close enough to see with his own eyes, he truly expected to come across a bear mauling some unfortunate soul.

Never did he expect to find the bear was but a young, bare bottomed lad.

It was an… unrepeatable scene, to say the least. 

A half-naked kid with a grown man who had his dick hanging out… Yong Haoyu could make a guess as to what was going on. Clearly, the man had picked the wrong victim. Whilst the boy’s appearance was fair and pleasing, what lay beneath was far too wild and uncontrollable.

As the man was the one to instigate the boy, Yong Haoyu was ready to leave the boy to exact his revenge. After all, he is on a time sensitive mission of his own and he has already taken quite the risk by coming this far to find medicinal herbs.

Just when he turned his back to them, he held a thud and looked again.

The soldier had managed to knock the boy off and now held the knife; “Damn cursed bastard! After you, I’ll take care of the hermit bastard who doesn’t know how to raise his flower properly!”

Yong Haoyu did not want anyone to know of his presence… so why was he involving himself?

The force of his bound created a muffled boom.

From Wei Qiang’s perspective, there was a loud sound, and then a rush of snow blew the homicidal soldier aside.

When the white dust settled, Wei Qiang’s unexpected savior had taken the soldier’s place in front of him. “Are you alright?” Through the black wrap, only Yong Haoyu’s fox-like eyes could be seen. He even tried to deepen his voice so he might not be recognizable should fate play a mean prank by crossing he and the boy’s paths at an inopportune time. 

A number of thoughts rushed through Wei Qiang’s mind, and as he calmed down with each deep intake of air, the cold pricked his skin and he recalled his current state. 

“Don’t look!” He yelled whilst struggling to pull his shirt down over his bum and crotch. He came from besides me, Wei Qiang quickly reasoned, and as I am he couldn’t have seen it, right…?

Yong Haoyu obediently faced his back to Wei Qiang. He had no intentions of making known what he may or may not have seen. 

“This one thanks the great hero for saving me.” Yong Haoyu turned again to see Wei Qiang bowing to him with a fist cupped in respect. “This one does not have much, but if there’s anything I can do to thank you, this one will—“

“I am no hero, and I am not in need of anything.” Yong Haoyu interrupted as he strode past him— “Children should not be alone in the forest at this time, hurry and go home.”

Wei Qiang knew he was small for his age, but he truly hated being referred to as a child! He glared at his mysterious savior’s back, Are we not both men? For what reason must I look like a stick besides him?!

The smell of iron reached his nose and Wei Qiang forgot all his dissatisfaction. He grabbed the end of the man’s cloak, flinching when he was shot with an annoyed glare. “B-Blood,” he cleared his throat to get rid of the cowardly squeak, “Are you injured? I have been studying medicine with our village’s doctor.” The man didn’t speak, prompting Wei Qiang to add, “I only wish to repay you for helping me.”

Yong Haoyu searched Wei Qiang’s eyes for a reason not to trust him, but instead found every reason to.

Heaven finally gave him a chance to wipe out the Zhou Li nation by means that will not require him to sacrifice a large amount of men. If only he could get the proper medicine to treat his friend, then his plan could proceed without issue.

“Zhu Ji grass,” —his lips were moving before he could stop himself— “do you know where I can get some?”

Happy to be able to pay back his debt, Wei Qiang rushed to his abandoned basket and fished some out. “Do you know how to prepare it?” He asked as he handed the man a handful. 

“That’s for me to worry about.”

Wei Qiang could tell the man didn’t want to explain further. “I see. Anything else?”

Yong Haoyu almost hugged Wei Qiang. He mentioned three more herbs— two Wei Qiang had, and the last he told Yong Haoyu where to find it.  

Yong Haoyu felt a rush of relief. This kid ended up doing me such a great favor. “This one thanks the great hero for your kindness.” He cupped his fist and bowed as Wei Qiang did earlier.

Wei Qiang sidestepped so he might not receive the gesture. “You did me a favor first, let’s just consider it even.”

Speaking of… Yong Haoyu’s eyes trailed to the still unconscious Zhou Li soldier. “What do you intend to do about that man?” He was already clear on how the Zhou Li soldiers ransacked villages. If he chooses to finish the job, the kid will not be able to do anything against him.

For Yong Haoyu, the grace he received was greater than the one he showed Wei Qiang. He didn’t want to leave any traces of his presence, but he would if it would help Wei Qiang a little.

Surprisingly, Wei Qiang did not look fearful, but faced Yong Haoyu with a pair of dark, serene eyes. “Sir does not need to worry about me.”

It was a distinct and encompassing look that startled Yong Haoyu a little. He didn’t know what this child intended to do against the soldier, but he knew a firm resolve had been made. “What’s your name?” When people make up their minds to this point, it’s best to let them see it through for themselves. 

The look Wei Qiang gave him had Yong Haoyu chuckling. So young, yet so suspicious. Then again, he couldn’t really blame him given the circumstances of their meeting.

Lowering himself so he could meet those serene eyes comfortably, the masked man put a hand on his chest, “Haoyu.” he introduced himself.

Like a cat slowly getting comfortable, the younger quietly replied, “…Qiang.”

As he left, Yong Haoyu carved that name into his mind. He fully intended to explore Ran Zhu after the war and reward Wei Qiang accordingly. Whilst the younger was unaware, his actions today would save tens of thousands of men from a bloody death.

Yong Haoyu had gotten far enough away that his little savior could not to be seen. Still, he was uneasy.

After a few breaths, he hissed a curse then retraced his steps. Just be safe, he really should kill that soldier.

Turns out he didn’t need to.

He shook his head while laughing humorlessly. That kid is really…

Wei Qiang had already inflicted quite some wounds on the soldier— angry, sporadic, unmeasured stabs and cuts born of equally messy emotions. 

The last, fatal wound was different. 

There were some clear signs of an amateur’s hand, but the nearly perfect slit spanning ear to ear… 

This was Wei Qiang’s resolve. 

*****

Wei Qiang barely remembered the walk home. His mind was against him, cursing him to high hell for being so stupid. 

He took so much pride in the steps he was taking towards a different future, forgetting the most damning aspect of his existence. 

He hugged himself, feeling gross and brittle. It was all he could do to keep these fragile pieces together.

No matter what, he would never live peacefully so long as that damn flower was upon his form. The flower will remain until he died and rotted into bones! 

As a son, there will be certain situations he can’t escape, requirements he must meet as a man.

But if I were a woman…

The thought came so unbidden Wei Qiang jerked. As absurd as it sounded… it was also logical…?

He recalled his experiences in his past life and measured how they would change if he were a woman.

Oh goodness… He gulped, a shaky smile playing on lips. am I really considering this?

He was. 

Before he knew it, he was standing in front of the hovel. Whatever helped Wei Qiang take each step home completely left his body. He dropped to the floor and practically had to crawl, sorrowful tears pouring down his cheeks, leaving him too breathless to give an audible sob. Grandpa… Grandpa, grandpa, grandpa…!

The sun was getting too low, and Guang Shen could no longer contain his worry. He grabbed his cloak and flung the door open, intending to find that troublesome kid himself.

Seeing Wei Qiang’s distraught form, he immediately limped forward as fast as his wounded leg would allow, got on his knees, and scooped the boy into his arms. 

The old but reliable hands, the eternal kindness in Guang Shen’s voice… Wei Qiang broke.

Their impoverished life, the Wei family’s cruelty, Guang Shen’s impending death, the lecherous soldier… and his first murder…

Wei Qiang could feel his soul reshaping, and he feared what it would become, but was powerless to stop it. 

He wept with reckless abandon, and the only thing that kept him from shattering and plummeting into oblivion was Guang Shen’s shared warmth. 

It was nightfall when Wei Qiang stopped bawling. He stared up at the starry sky, each shuddering breath another hold on whatever was left of his sanity. 

After feeling Wei Qiang’s breathing even out, Guang Shen finally dared to gently pull away from Wei Qiang.

“Xiao Qiang?” All he got in response was a listless hum. “What’s happened?”

Wei Qiang’s eyes held a deep fatigue— too heavy for someone his age. His expression was dazed. In the silence of the night, he whispered back, “What is a cursed flower?”

That night, the two had a long, overdue conversation.

*****

It was morning, but early enough for the sky to still be dark and the world still.

Many words were said, and even more tears were shed before Wei Qiang finally fell asleep— exhausted and further stressed by a fever. 

After making sure he was covered properly, Guang Shen took up his axe and went into the forest. The friendly hermit was gone, and the threatening aura of an ex-militant surrounded him.

Wei Qiang assured him the soldier was dead, but Guang Shen would not find rest if he didn’t see the bastard’s corpse with his own eyes.

You could say the man was blessed to have died at Wei Qiang’s hands, else Guang Shen would have inflicted torture that should only be experienced in hell.

The scene of wild animals struggling over a carcass was quite a befitting end for the soldier— Guang Shen decided. 

He started back to the hovel, feeling his age catching up to him. 

Guang Shen couldn’t fathom how things had gone so terribly wrong. Then again… “Could it be karma?” He wondered with a wry smile. He had killed so many whilst trying to hide Wei Qiang’s existence— wet nurses, doctors… even the former occupant of the hovel hadn’t been spared…

Guang Shen felt guilt, but no regret. For Wei Qiang’s safety those people were, unfortunately, necessary sacrifices.

He looked up at the sky with a hapless smile. “If you must punish anyone, punish me. Their blood is on my hands, not the boy’s.”

When he entered the hovel, Wei Qiang was curled under their blanket with a slightly pained expression, shivers shaking him after every few breaths. 

Guang Shen sat besides him and touched his head. Wei Qiang’s expression instantly eased, his body unconsciously leaning in Guang Shen’s direction. 

The old man’s heart melted. Whenever he looked at Wei Qiang, a part of his heart dreaded the day the boy would have to return to his true family. He dreaded it, but also anticipated it. Placing a hand on his chest, Guang Shen knew it would be for the best. He never said anything, but he could feel it; his life was waning.

Right, this tattered heart relied on determination to beat. 

Be as it may, the shortcomings of humanity can only be overcome to a certain extent. At some point, Guang Shen stopped feeling his wounds— some days he couldn’t feel his limbs. His heart came to a frightening slow pace at random times, a reminder that death never stalked too far behind him. 

He wasn’t scared, having made his peace with death a long time ago. And thanks to Wei Qiang’s recent maturity, Guang Shen was more assured that the boy he raised will be able to fair well without him. 

The boy I raised… Oh right, once the war ends it will be “girl”, wouldn’t it? “…Xiao Qiang, you’ve grown so fast. I… I will do as you wish. At this age, it’s natural for you to have your own thoughts, so I will not hinder you. I only hope you find all the happiness you deserve, no matter who you choose to be.”

*****

Yong Haoyu wasn’t even a step into the tent before a piece of bread went flying towards his head. He could have dodged, but let the loaf bounce off his forehead and fall to the ground.

The person who launched this harmless attack was wearing a full set of incredibly intimidating armor.

Both the Yuxuan and Zhou Li army have come to fear and respect the wearer of this armor. 

They would probably not know whether they should laugh or cry if they saw their great general flinging bread. 

Just imagining it made Yong Haoyu chuckle, “I hope you don’t behave like that when I am away.” 

“Are those your last words?!” The voice that harshly whispered back was feminine. She ripped off the helmet to properly glare at Yong Haoyu with her fox-like eyes. “Haoyu, if you’re ready to die, keep testing me and see how I’ll handle you!”

Immediately after she finished speaking, the woman doubled over and coughed a dollop of blood. 

Yong Haoyu rushed to her side and helped her towards a soft, short sofa. “You’ve worked hard, sister.” He complimented.

Despite her pale face and weak breaths, Yong Haoyan still managed to click her tongue and retort, “Hmph, this much is to be expected of someone of my caliber.” As Yong Haoyu undid the armor, she saw blood had soaked through her shirt. Now that she was seeing it, Yong Haoyan felt the wound she’d been enduring was extremely painful right now. “Brother, w-where you able to find it…?”

The rare meekness in his sister’s voice shook Yong Haoyu’s heart. He gently comforted her, “I’ve already left the herbs with Ming Fang. Don’t worry, how could anything happen to you while he and I are still alive?”

Yong Haoyan blushed and looked away. She wasn’t good with her emotions, unlike her twin who is expressive with those he trusts. “It’s the same for you,” She muttered, pinning Yong Haoyu with a serious and warm expression, “Fang and I are still alive, so don’t bear everything on your own.”

Their childhood wasn’t as peaceful as they would have liked, but they certainly found more than a few moments of happiness. Yong Haoyan and Ming Fang started working in the shadows and were away from the capital most of the time, Haoyu was left alone with that bitch and two-faced bastard. Yong Haoyan’s hatred for her grandmother and half-brother was renewed every time she recalled his struggles. 

Closing her eyes, she silently vowed; When this is over, I’ll make sure Haoyu can live peacefully. After that, Fang and I will go see every wonder this world has to offer. “I’m impressed a fool like you could find everything.” For now, she will maintain her taunting ways.

Taking the space besides her, Yong Haoyu admitted, “I had some help.” 

“Help? …Brother… you said you will not allow anyone encounter you— this is the only reason I agreed to let you enter Ran Zhu!”

“I couldn’t keep my promise, sister.”

Pinching her nose bridge, Yong Haoyan really regretted letting her brother and Ming Fang talk her into their stupid plan, “This guy… Who was it? Who saw you?!” She stood and looked around for her sword, deadly intent seething in her eyes. “It’s not too late, we can still silence them.”

“Be calm, Haoyan,” Chuckling, Yong Haoyu urged her to seat back down, “let me explain.”

Yong Haoyu told her of his encounter with Wei Qiang, leaving out the bit of the child being a cursed flower— everything Yong Haoyan knew, she would spout to Ming Fang. 

That eccentric will definitely want to see him with his own eyes. Yong Haoyu considered Ming Fang his own brother, but he would still be the first to label him obsessive. He’s actually scarier than Haoyan knows, but he won’t be happy if I tell her that. 

“What a nice child!” Yong Haoyan gushed at the end of Yong Haoyu’s story. She punched his upper arm, scolding, “He’s my life’s savior, but you don’t even reward him properly!”

“I was his life’s savior first!” Yong Haoyu complained while rubbing the part his sister hit.

“Stop complaining, this isn’t a competition! Victory is ours thanks to that child. Ah, but it’s so sad…” she sighed, “he’s done you such a favor without knowing you’re nothing but a scoundrel!”

“Yong Haoyu is also a thief, womanizer, heartbreaker, liar…” Ming Fang drawled as he entered the tent, “Yan’Er, what else am I missing?” 

Yong Haoyan immediately started listing off every insult in the book, “Shameless, abuser! Do you have no dignity? The soldiers praise you so much, but they don’t know how many times you’ve left me to impersonate you! You’re a glutton too— I know it was you that ate my osmanthus cake that year—“ Actually it was her beloved Ming Fang, but he had left Yong Haoyu to take the blame— “You’re also arrogant! You’re so bold despite being ugly.”

“If I’m ugly, then what does that make you, my twin sister?”

“I’m not ugly! Fang, tell him!”

“Yan’Er is the most beautiful in the world.” Ming Fang replied without looking away from the medicines he was setting out.

Yong Haoyan looked arrogantly at her brother. “If Fang said it then it can only be true.”

As for Yong Haoyu, he couldn’t even remember why he bothers arguing with either of them. They’re logic is too backward to be reasoned with. “Ming Fang, have you completed it?”

“Of course.” The gloomy man replied, seemingly affronted. “This is my family’s best blood clotting medicine, it’s a shame the ingredients can only be found in Ran Zhu…”

“We can go around and gather seeds when the war is over.” Yong Haoyan promised.

Ming Fang smiled— a rare expression reserved for Yong Haoyan— “The plants in Ran Zhu are diverse, but difficult. Most don’t grow anywhere else, and it takes a lot of effort and luck to make them grow out of the territory.”

Yong Haoyan wasn’t deterred and smiled widely. “Then we will go to Ran Zhu whenever you wish.”

The atmosphere between them was disgustingly sweet. Yong Haoyu considered Ming Fang his brother, but that didn’t mean he wished to witness the lovey dovey relationship he shared with his sister. “Ming Fang, how long do you think it will be before Haoyan can move?”

“Four days.” Yong Haoyan asserted.

The two men frowned at her. “Too soon.” Yong Haoyu assured her, “We’re not in that much of a rush.”

While offering her the brew, Ming Fang gently advised, “Yong Haoyu is right. A week is better— I recommend two.”

Yong Haoyan threw back the bitter mixture then shook her head. “That’s too long. I want to get this over with.” 

“Ending this war isn’t worth endangering your life.” Ming Fang said.

“The soldiers are tired, and so am I.” Her gaze said there was no more room for negotiation. “I’ll be leaving in four days, have the army ready on your end. You know this plan won’t work a second time, right?”

Yong Haoyu looked to Ming Fang for support, but the man looked as helpless as he felt. “Fine. Fang, I’ll trust you to look after Haoyan.”

Ming Fang scoffed, “I don’t need you to tell me that.”

Only after discussing the details of their plan into daybreak was Yong Haoyu finally allowed time alone.

They had kept this plan in their back pockets for three years, and yet they couldn’t shake their anxiety.

To think the Zhou Li army would suddenly fall ill and desperately go in search of doctors— it could only be heaven’s merciful intervention.

Taking one day to stop and rest, it would take Fang Ming and Yong Haoyan eight days to reach Ran Zhu on horseback— Fang Ming will enter as a doctor, while Yong Haoyu would have already prepared to launch a small attack on the Zhou Li army.

If Yong Haoyu’s army was weary and worn, then the Zhou Li army was even worse. The sudden attack would send them into a tailspin of terror, and within that chaos, Yong Haoyan— the best infiltrator Yong Haoyu has ever known— will poison the enemy’s food supply with Ming Fang’s deadliest toxin.

It would take a day and a half for it to go into effect, and Yong Haoyu will be ready to overwhelm the Zhou Li. 

A clean, sharp, and decisive victory to put an end to this long, long war. 

*****

Wei Qiang’s fever broke after two weeks. 

Aunty Lin blamed herself and was sure to send medicine over. Thanks to her, Wei Qiang was able to return to the clinic much sooner than he expected.

Not long after, rain poured over Ran Zhu, and when it gave way to a bright sun the villagers’ mood visibly bettered. They welcomed thinner clothes and hunted animals to make meaty meals. Children were running around, sweaty, but happy.

Wei Qiang was doing things differently as well. His reading spot in the clinic was empty so long as there was work to be done. 

He would still call himself Doctor Lin’s pupil, but the matters she entrusted to him were not meant for a pupil. 

When she started paying attention to his capabilities, she realized Wei Qiang would catch up to the workload and overcome at an alarming speed. Watching him encouraged Doctor Lin to pursue the heights of his abilities, and so, Wei Qiang worked besides her more like an assistant than a protégé.

After a full morning of mixing medicine and refining pills, Wei Qiang took his break. He left the clinic, stretching his arms far above his head till his back gave a few satisfying pops.

The weather was hot, but after so many months of snow, the villagers couldn’t find a word to complaint. The atmosphere was infectious, and Wei Qiang found himself unconsciously smiling. 

He was so lost in the peace he didn’t notice the ground begin to shake until even children stopped to look in the direction of the nearing voices.

Pebbles bounced off the floor, frightened mothers taking their children into their arms. 

The loud roar of terrified men, and the hard thumps of horses hooves seemed to shake the very earth.

“Get out of the way!”

“Move if you don’t want to die!”

Such warnings were screamed as hoards of Zhou Li soldiers charged through the village. Not far behind them were Yuxuan soldiers in hot pursuit.

The Zhou Li soldiers they got close enough to were immediately beheaded or dragged off their steeds. Left behind was a trail of dust and death.

As everyone slowly peeked out of their hiding place, most were lost in horror and confusion, others had not seen Yuxuan soldiers in many years and dared not hold on to any hope.

Over the horizon, Yuxuan soldiers raised their horns and blew loudly. A man stumbled into the village, the smile on his face so wide his words were almost incomprehensible, “It’s over! Those Zhou Li bastards have finally been defeated! We’re free!”

First was shock, and then celebration. People were hugging, weeping, laughing.

Only Wei Qiang did not share their sentiments. He felt like he couldn’t breathe, his mind struggling to understand why the war ended sooner than he remembered.

Wait… That shouldn’t be his worry right now. Grandpa! He immediately started racing home.

It was sight similar to the past. Guang Shen was on his knees, his head resting on his arms as he cried more sorrowfully than Wei Qiang had ever seen.

In his past life, Wei Qiang was at a total loss and had tried to coax Guang Shen to stop. This time, he knelt in front of the older man and leaned over him, rubbing his back without saying any words.

Finally, Guang Shen’s long mission was at an end. He deserved a good cry.

NEXT UPDATE- July 8th 22

9