Chapter Ten
106 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wow this chapter feels like I said so much in the most boring way imaginable. Or maybe I just feel that way cuz I’m tried. Anyway, hope you enjoy the chapter and thanks for reading.

Jin Hong could never properly read his father. He is human, but the most stoic and menacing of them all.

He drew a deep breath, then said, “Son’s negligence has troubled imperial father and imperial grandmother!” so long as he avoids sputtering excuses, he will certainly get out of this.

The Emperor almost rolled his eyes. Was such a vague confession supposed to sway him? “It’s more than “negligence” if you drew your sword against a woman. Crown Prince, do you know your wrong?”

Jin Hong further bowed his head, his words coated in shame. “Son foolishly gave into curiosity and dared to approach imperial grandmother’s guest.” Thankfully, he was born with a calm mind and glib mouth else he would be shaken by his father’s might to the point of being unable to speak— let alone chatter his way out of trouble. He appealed to the Empress Dowager with a pitiful expression. “Imperial grandmother, this one has disappointed you.”

Sure enough, the Empress Dowager’s heart softened. “You were too eccentric this time, Crown Prince.” She sighed.

“This one knows his wrong.” The Crown Prince became even more humble.

He might have gotten away with a slap on the wrist on normal occasions, but this time the Crown Prince did not successfully control the situation, and the one who got injured is not just any guest. “What sort of Crown Prince draws his sword like a child swinging a stick?!” 

Jin Hong jolted, so surprised he unconsciously raised his head to look at the Emperor. Finding those depthless eyes on him, he immediately looked back down. “Please forgive this one’s recklessness, Your Majesty!” How strange. Imperial father is genuinely upset this time…? 

The Emperor scoffed. Jin Hong is probably the most clever amongst his sons, which led to him becoming arrogant in his abilities to escape trouble. The Emperor ignored his little tricks up till now because Jin Hong’s actions helped deal with some of the more wily officials now and then, and by knowing the Emperor’s mind to a certain extent Jin Hong knew when to curtail himself.

The Emperor’s expression barely changed, but the displeasure in his voice carried all the threats he needed. “You have gone too far, Crown Prince.” What sort of precedent would it set for the Emperor to allow the Prince get away with drawing his cousin’s blood? If someone spills tea on Wei Qiang, slanders him, or pushes him, is it not incredibly less than what the Crown Prince did today? How can the Emperor be upset with them when the Crown Prince has, potentially, harmed Wei Qiang’s chances at marriage? 

What did Guang Shen die for if Wei Qiang ends up being bullied by others? The Emperor could not let Jin Hong off lightly. “No matter the reason, you should not have drawn your sword! Are words enough to make you want to harm a mere woman?” 

Father and son knew it was neither. Jin Hong’s threat was empty from the start. 

The situation has already become what it is, did Jin Hong dare admit he held a woman at sword point in order to have Wei Qiang violate the Empress Dowager’s protection and reveal his identity? 

No. I absolutely can’t say that! It would be a clear opposition of the Empress Dowager’s will. Jin Hong could only put his head to the floor. “Please forgive me, Your Majesty!” Seriously, who is that girl? For what reason did the Emperor suppress him so?

“Return to your palace and cool your head.” The Emperor threw back his sleeve and returned to the Empress Dowager’s palace.

Once they were inside, the Empress Dowager raised her fan, peering worriedly up at her son.

The Empress Dowager knew Jin Hong was… unconventional, but she was as fond of him as she was her other grandchildren, not to mention his mother, the Empress, is also a near faultless woman. She did not want this situation to give room for others to pull Jin Hong from his status as Crown Prince.

“Do not worry yourself, imperial mother, son knows what to do.” 

Jin Bing Wen’s short comfort carried his usual effortless calm. With only that, the Empress Dowager knew he had his own thoughts and said no more. 

Her thoughts shifted to Wei Qiang, who must have been scared silly by Jin Hong. 

Jin Bing Wen’s mind was also on the same person, but his stormy eyes did not denote the same worry.

Without the Emperor giving a definite time, Jin Hong knew he had been placed under house arrest indefinitely.

He stood and dusted his hands with a relieved sigh. Thank goodness I was born the Empress’ son, or who knows if imperial father would have had me beaten

“Y-Y- Your Highness…!” The Eunuch who escorted Jin Hong, Xiao Chi, whimpered. He was so shaken by all that happened he could not get off the floor without one of the Prince’s guards helping him.

Jin Hong sneered. “Benwang is the one who got punished, what are you crying about?”

“Obviously, servant is crying because Your Highness got punished!” Xiao Chi felt such treatment was unfair when he was only worrying for this two-faced Prince. “His Majesty has never been this upset with Your Highness! What… What if His Majesty f-forgets Your Highness after not seeing you for some time?”

Jin Hong pinched his nose bridge. Only Xiao Chi manages to have both intelligence and foolishness in equal measures. If the Empress’ son is so insignificant, would imperial mother have kept her position up until now? “Forget it.” Jin Hong shrugged as he started back for his palace. “We will return to the Wangfu[1] now.” 

1Wangfu: Prince’s palace

Jin Hong knew this matter wouldn’t dethrone him— not that some pesky scavengers wouldn’t try. He scoffed, shaking his head at their foolishness. Neither he nor the Empress were easy targets. This would not be the first time an official or royal tries to drag them from their positions, and it would not be the last.

The Crown Prince was also certain his father was not actually angry with him, but setting an example. Jin Hong was just unlucky enough to be the first to pick a fight with the guest.

“Your Highness? Are we not returning to the Wangfu?”

Until Xiao Chi spoke, Jin Hong did not realize his legs were yet to move, nor had he found the strength to draw his eyes away from the Empress Dowager’s palace. He clicked his tongue and smacked the back of Xiao. Chi’s head. “Dare to order Benwang around?!”

Xiao Chi’s tears fell anew. “Your Highness, servant would never!”

After receiving treatment, Wei Qiang gave his attention to the kneeling servants. “Xiaojie, please forgive this servant!”

At the lead was Cong-momo. The old woman is rather tall with broad frame. Seeing her kneeling at his feet made Wei Qiang feel increasingly awkward. If anyone saw this will they not think I’m bullying imperial grandmother’s momo?

He put forth a benevolent front. “Raise your heads, there is nothing any of you could have done in such a situation.”

“But… But Xiaojie’s body was injured!” Feng-momo’s shoulders trembled. She still could not believe she allowed such a thing happen in front of her. “Servant has failed Xiaojie…” She knocked her head on the floor, declaring, “servant deserves to die a thousand times over!” 

The others followed her actions, pitifully saying they deserved death while also pleading for mercy. Their lives couldn’t be taken by Wei Qiang, but having them beaten with a thick rod wouldn’t be impossible.

Wei Qiang was beginning to get a headache from their loud voices, I’m the one who got hurt, why are you the ones crying? “Will bludgeoning yourselves change anything?! Hurry up and get off the floor!” 

None of them had ever seen Wei Qiang upset and sat up sharply, staring at him like a bunch of startled deers.

Wei Qiang bit his tongue, a punishment for his lack of control. He cleared his throat, speaking more gently, “This miss’ lack of manners offended the Crown Prince, if this is the end result have any of you thought about what would have happened had you interfered back then?” naturally he would not neglect to paint Jin Hong as a temperamental bully. “The answer is clear and if you keep crying then this miss can only assume you do not value your life and my efforts are wasted.”

“…X-Xiaojie…” Cong-momo was without words. Don’t tell me she grabbed the sword fully intending to injure herself so none of us would be harmed?! How… How can she be so kind…?

Wei Qiang was small and slim, and yet sat straight with his bandaged hand atop the uninjured one. 

He was genuinely trying to look large and indomitable, but in Cong-momo’s eyes this was faux strength gathered up as a means to put her and the others at ease. 

Cong-momo’s jaw moved up and down but not a sound came out. Finally, she gulped and lowered her head respectfully. “Servant is thankful for  Xiaojie’s kindness.” For me to be protected by one so young… how shameful. Berate herself she might, Cong-momo wasn’t unaware of the warmth blossoming in her chest. 

Some of the servant girls were so moved by Wei Qiang’s words tears started trickling down their cheeks. To cover up for them, the others loudly echoed Cong-momo’s words, “Servant is thankful for Xiaojie’s kindness.”

Wei Qiang’s brows pinched a little. Their reactions were a little lackluster than what he hoped for. He wanted to see them complain about Jin Hong and badmouth him a little. 

He reminded himself they have known Jin Hong longer than him, and while he will get away with a slap on the wrist, servants can have their heads looped off for speaking against a master. 

At the end, it was just a little pettiness on his part. Many times he heard people say all sorts of things against him in his past life and he couldn’t help wanting to put those he hated in a similar position.

“If you understand, get up.”

Hearing the matter was resolved, Feng-momo pretended she just arrived at the slightly opened door. “Xiaojie, Her Majesty has sent this servant to make sure Xiaojie is alright.”

A servant girl went over and fully opened the door for Feng-momo while Wei Qiang held up his hand. “The physician has prescribed some medicine and said the wound will likely not scar.”

Feng-momo smiled, “Servant is glad to hear that.” then beckoned a servant girl, “Come escort Xiaojie.”

After Wei Qiang left, Feng-momo made her way to Cong-momo’s side, laying a comforting hand on her shoulder. “What are you upset about? You already know the Crown Prince did not intend to harm anyone.”

“Xiaojie didn’t know that…” In her eyes our lives were in danger, and yet she… Cong-momo always did exceptional work. She started serving the Empress later than Feng-momo, but her abilities put her farther ahead than those who entered the palace with the Empress Dowager. “Xiaojie is too kind.” She sighed. 

Feng-momo nodded. “Indeed. In that case, it is your duty to watch over her thoroughly. As you have seen her sincerity, do not let her suffer like this again.”

The Emperor halted Wei Qiang from bowing, gesturing for him to take a seat.

“Xiao Qiang, are you alright? Are you in any pain?” The Empress Dowager fretted.

Wei Qiang smiled gently. “Please do not worry, imperial grandmother, something this small does not hurt at all.”

The Empress Dowager obviously did not believe that— after all, this is a matter having to do with a lady’s body being blemished. Xiao Qiang will definitely feel wronged. Not wanting Wei Qiang to think his injury was not taken seriously, she added, “Even if he is the Crown Prince, your imperial uncle did not let him off lightly.”

…She wants me to not bare a grudge against Jin Hong. Wei Qiang bowed his head, “Imperial uncle, imperial grandmother, it was my lack of manners that first offended His Highness. I will surely apologize next time we meet.” Since he crossed paths with the Crown Prince and made him eat a loss, Wei Qiang was willing to let things go so long as Jin Hong would not antagonize him in the future.

Jin Bing Wen wondered how much Wei Qiang meant those words. Is this humility of wit? It wasn’t easy to make the Crown Prince fall into trouble, but Wei Qiang did so upon meeting Jin Hong for the first time? 

Jin Bing Wen did not know how his Consorts would react to learn a little girl did what they have never been able to do.

He was willing to believe it was a mere coincidence, still he couldn’t shake off his suspicions when comparing today’s events to everything he has heard about Wei Qiang. 

The Empress Dowager was unaware she is not the only one keeping an eye and ear on Wei Qiang. However, Jin Bing Wen didn’t monitor his little niece for reasons as caring as hers. He simply liked to know as much as possible about the people around him.

Everyone who came across Wei Qiang, no matter how short the time, had not a negative word to say. They all praised him, charmed by one quality or another. 

After what happened today, the Emperor was even more certain; This child is not as innocent as imperial mother believes.

A chill rippled down Wei Qiang’s spine and, for whatever reason, his eyes shot towards Jin Bing Wen. 

The Emperor wasn’t looking his way, but elegantly sipping his tea with a downcast gaze. Did I imagine it? He wondered. 

Just when he relaxed, the Emperor casually said to no one in particular, “General Wan Yi Kong is scheduled to return at the start of the new year.”

“What sort of fate is this?” The Empress Dowager started twiddling her prayer beads. “He returns around the same time his father died all those years ago.” She stole a peek at Wei Qiang, then added, “More than just this victory was gained from his efforts, be sure to show your sincerity, Your Majesty.”

Wei Qiang didn’t know why they were discussing this in front of him. Sure they would not say anything he didn’t already know, he retreated into his mind.

General Wan Yi Kong… Wei Qiang already knew he would immediately be given the title of “Marquis of Yu Ren”. He would be the youngest in history to wield such a high rank. The General had complicated family matters others did not dare speak of, even in the company of alcohol and confidants, and someone of his prestige wasn’t a person Wei Qiang was privileged to mingle with. Such a great person, yet I know so little about him. Now that I know how great the General will become, why should I neglect getting to know him? 

So occupied with his plans, Wei Qiang did not know he was being called until a momo lightly touched his shoulder. “Xiaojie, please answer.”

He bowed his head, “Apologies, imperial grandmother, I was muddleheaded for a moment.”

The Empress Dowager giggled. “It is not me who called you, Xiao Qiang.”

Wei Qiang started to sweat, nails digging into his lap as he stiffly turned to meet the Emperor’s unreadable eyes. …Ahis there really no way I can live without offending His Majesty? “I— I m-mean… umm…” Wei Qiang’s jaw was too stiff, his mouth too dry, and mind too disarrayed to form words.

The Emperor chose to ignore Wei Qiang’s mistake— much to the younger’s relief. “”Hexie Junzhu” is originally the title Zhen would have bestowed on you. As you know, circumstances did not make it possible for you to receive it, and it became your sister’s.”

It took Wei Qiang a second to realize Jin Bing Wen was pausing to see if he was following. “That… That is natural, Your Majesty. Rather, this one is grateful for the grace Your Majesty showed this one’s little sister.” Wei Qiang was, in fact, not following and chose to remain humble. This is… the first time the Emperor has spoken so kindly to me… He almost believed the Emperor was trying to comfort him somehow.

His reply must have been satisfactory as Jin Bing Wen nodded once, continuing, “Nonetheless, it is not right for the younger to have a higher title than the older. Tomorrow, Zhen will bestow you a title.”

Wei Qiang couldn’t believe his ears. Me? A royal title?! He looked at the Empress Dowager, her gleeful expression making it clear the Emperor meant every word.

At first Wei Qiang was overwhelmed. He had not done a thing to earn such an honor. If anything, he is the one who has remained on the receiving end of others’ favor.

Wei Qiang could feel a goofy smile tugging at his lips. Right when he needed a way to curb it, the wrongness reminded him, What are getting so happy about? Never forget all that has changed is you.

…Right… I have done nothing to receive this grace

Their hearts, their minds, and opinions, none of it had changed. The only difference is that they are addressing a once lost, innocent, grieving young girl, not a vulgar, pariah of a man tainted with an insidious birthmark.

The wrongness did not let Wei Qiang doubt, even for a second, their treatment of him would totally change if his secret ever came out.

Do not lie to yourself. Do not even dream of standing next to them as what you really are. His initial aim is to gather favor and acknowledgements wherever they may be. Nothing else matters but being a basket to catch the accolades Guang Shen is deserving of. 

Wei Qiang stood from his seat, then dropped into a kowtow. “Your Majesty, please have mercy on this subject.”

The Empress Dowager pushed out of her seat in surprise, “Xiao Qiang, what is the meaning of this?!”

The Emperor tapped his finger on the arm of his chair— half amused, half frustrated. Did she figure me out? “You wish to reject Zhen’s sincerity?”

Wei Qiang felt the air freeze in his lungs. The Emperor’s voice gave nothing away, and from this position he couldn’t see his face— not that it would make the Emperor more transparent.

Gulping, he assured himself he had offended the Emperor in worse ways in his past life. His Majesty won’t behead me for something like this! He hoped. 

He bit his tongue to gather his senses, then took the plunge, “Your Majesty, receiving a title would be the greatest honor, worthy of celebrating for an entire lifetime. However, this one is still in the process of grieving my grandfather. Subject’s heart is troubled.”

Jin Bing Wen’s low hum was the only sound in the room. She rejected me without really rejecting me

Wei Qiang’s words were to say that he is caught between a rock and a hard place. He addressed to the Emperor formally, but easily called Guang Shen “grandfather” as though the deceased man is the blood relative in this situation. 

The Emperor smirked. This child already knows where her loyalty lies. In so much as Wei Qiang expressed emotional turmoil, it was all a backhanded way to say; “I will honor Guang Shen first and your offer is an interference”

If Wei Qiang trusted anything, then it was the Emperor’s firm, almost strangling, sense of duty. He always scolded Wei Qiang for not being able to match his status, and so Wei Qiang would do that now. Even at the risk of offending the Emperor, he would not forget the first hand to feed him, the first heart to love him, and would honor Guang Shen’s sacrifice with every shred of his soul.

The silence persisted, but Wei Qiang did not rise, nor go back on his words. His stance was firm despite the quivering of his bladder. 

Finally, the Emperor pulled his crushing gaze off Wei Qiang in favor for gesturing for a maid to refill his cup. “Get up.” 

Wei Qiang raised his head off the floor, surprised by how languid the Emperor sounded. 

“Your heart is in the right place, Zhen can see you have inherited the best of Guang Shen.”

The compliment shook Wei Qiang to the core of his soul. 

All he ever heard in his past life was how Guang Shen’s life had been in vain. All he ever received were frustrated looks, clearly wondering how someone like him was raised by Guang Shen. 

The Emperor… acknowledged me. Who dared say otherwise from this day forth? Unable to help himself, tears poured down his cheeks. 

The Empress Dowager wanted to immediately rush over to him but also didn’t want to interrupt Jin Bing Wen.

From how Wei Qiang tightly clutched his skirt, the Emperor could see how strongly the youth fought his emotions and pretended not to notice the tears. “Instead, you will receive Guang Shen’s title on his behalf. With this, we can bury him under a rank deserving of him.”

This had not happened in Wei Qiang’s past life. Guang Shen’s ashes were kept close to the imperial burial grounds, but he was not buried under any special title. 

Wei Qiang told himself not to get cocky, not to think this had anything to do with him. Not even the wrongness could stop him from taking pride that, in some way, he did this for Guang Shen.

Wei Qiang had stopped crying, but did not dare speak, knowing a pathetic sob would be the first thing out of his mouth. 

The Empress Dowager thoughtfully let him off, and once she was alone with her son she scrunched her brows. “Your Majesty was too harsh with her.” She complained.

“She is very glib.”

The old woman huffed. Changing the subject so shamelessly… “She is.” Glib with words, mannerisms, and emotions. Wei Qiang’s heart is one that is hard to read. Right in front of one’s eyes, yet somehow too obscure. 

Wondering if his actions were the reason for the Empress Dowager’s frown, the Emperor said, “Son only wanted to ensure she is not shortsighted.” Had Wei Qiang accepted the title, it would have been his but the Emperor’s impression would have dropped. Jin Bing Wen didn’t know if Wei Qiang knew he was being tested, Or is she just that upright? 

“Your Majesty also did not tell Aijia you had prepared a title for Guang Shen.”

“There are few ways to repay the dead, Zhen is just trying to do as much justice to him as possible.” 

Jin Bing Wen had not yet written up a decree for Wei Qiang, let alone thought of giving Guang Shen a title. 

Neither the Emperor, nor Wei Qiang, could have known that the latter’s rejection would not only blow away suspicions, but raise the former’s impression in the Emperor’s heart.

At the end, the Emperor thought, the purpose of the title was to protect her. However, since Wei Qiang was unwilling he could only have Guang Shen canopy her once more.

The Empress Dowager let out a heavy sigh. “It is so hard to understand that child.” She muttered. 

The Emperor let out a sound of agreement. He never expected Wei Qiang to have the guts to refuse him. I thought she was afraid of me, but it turns out she has limits even the Emperor may not cross. He was both amused, and admiring of Wei Qiang’s personality.

5