Chapter 4
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A calm day in the Goddess’ Realm. The training ground was entirely devoid of life, not a single shout of exertion could be heard, the Mana in the atmosphere was simply flowing with no disturbance.

It was the designated rest day for the Twelve. A day where they would relax, not letting any of their worries get to them and let go of the stress they accumulated in their manic pursuit.

They were all relaxing in their own ways, some were reading books, others were sleeping or eating, while yet others spent their time in new ways, unknown to them on Earth.

Noelle continued hammering away at swords, a favoured pastime of hers that relaxed her considerably, despite it also being her job   . Altair was talking into thin air, conversing with his newly found friends. Meanwhile Kal was in meditation and Selen played with a group of wolves that the Goddess had prepared for her talents specifically.

Emmy too, spend her time with someone else. Namely, she had tea with the Goddess and was immersed in their small-talk, small inconsequential topics. For her this served as both relaxation and a chance to improve her abilities. After all, as a Priest, her bond with the Deity she serves is incredibly important.

Well, there has never been a Priest that was friends with their Deity, but she had found great success with that method so far.

Regardless, the entire group was busy being not busy and had a wonderful time relaxing for a short time, letting their worries simply fade away for a moment.

Of course, such bliss could not last forever and the very next day all of them continued with their valiant efforts to forge their own abilities.

And today we shall focus on the training schedule of Fina. A natural born talent with a bow, dominating every competition she had entered with ease. Even on Earth her training was much more extreme than necessary.

Shooting a 10cm target face from a distance of 200 meters with a wooden bow. Hunting while hanging upside down from trees. Moving targets at anything lower than 50 metres are not even a warm-up for her.

Drawing a weight of 150lbs, at the level of medieval war bows, not even her strength is something to sneeze at.

Yet, the most terrifying thing about her, which all of the others that know her can agree on. That is her vision.

She can see clearly even at that aforementioned 200 meter distance. She can clearly track any living being, no matter its speed. Even if her body is hanging upside down, none of her accuracy vanes. Once you enter her sight, you do not leave it.

These are the qualities that make her perfect to become the Ranger of the group, a dedicated archer and tracker with unquestionable accuracy.

After training even for just a few days she has managed to get a grasp on Mana and has almost doubled her draw weight as a result. But her muscles are not all she could already infuse her Mana into.

Her eyes.

Infusing it into her eyes, she enhances her already mind-boggling vision. Not even a person flying a kilometre away from her can escape her sight any longer. Even if you are fast enough to reach Mach 3, her pupils will never leave your position or lose any detail.

This is Fina, The Ranger.

The person that will one day be worthy of this title:

Thousand-Mile Eyes.

***

“Good. Infusing Mana into my eyes really makes tracking that much easier.” Ray was busy collecting the Mana Stones from his latest prey, a group of 10 goblins that were noticeably better equipped than the dregs he had originally been fighting.

Well, it was still just leather rags and sticks with sharpened stones attached. No match for his fearsome umbrella.

The backpack he brought with him was basically filled to bursting, even though each Stone was individually only the size of a pinkie. It spoke to the sheer volume of his hunt. And that, in turn, spoke to the effectiveness of his hunting strategy.

With his new ability to infuse Mana into specific body parts, which he discovered after a bit of focus, he found himself able to catch even tiny glimpses of green skin at massive distances, despite the surprising denseness of the forest. This obviously sped up his hunting speed ridiculously.

After all, he filled that backpack in just three hours of nonstop hunting, when previously he had barely encountered a few dozen creatures in an entire day.

He took a quick breather, cleaning up one of the trunks of a tree he felled to use as a chair. With these few minutes to gather his thoughts he thought about how much of a waste it would be to go back this early.

Thus he thought about ways to use up the Mana Stones he had gathered. Of course, he would have loved to create items out of them, but that was still a research subject, not something he could just do on the fly.

The cleanest choice would be to use them to expand his Mana Circuits, but he thought that was a bit too simple. He still kept it in mind as a backup choice, of course.

Then he thought about another possibility.

What if I… supercharge my senses and use the stones to recharge?

He settled on this one with relative ease. He was just thinking about going after a bigger group at a time.

He used the same trunk as the focal point and emptied the entire bag in a circle around it before sitting down cross-legged and closing his eyes.

After all, his eyes could only get him so far. He wasn’t Fina, who could probably find a way to weave an x-ray spell. Instead, he opened up his hearing, his smell and most importantly the sense he discovered a natural talent for: Mana Sense.

Almost immediately information flooded his brain. It was so much and so sudden that he even tried something rather risky he had only thought about before: using Mana on his brain.

A Success. The burden lessened and almost immediately he could create a mental map of the forest in his mind. Every small bump of dirt. Every tree and leaf. And, of course, each and every creature he was looking for. He felt not only his senses, but it felt as if he himself was expanding outwards, feeling and seeing everything directly.

It was a surreal experience for him, but it only lasted for a bit as the Mana consumption was immense. Not even his, now somewhat sizeable pool, could keep this absurd feat up for long. But, it still lasted long enough for the map to be clearly ingrained in his mind.

He compiled the information while absorbing the Mana he needed from the Stones, taking every drop, yet only filling up half of his pool. He disregarded it as it was still enough to fight.

As an added bonus he had more than enough prey still remaining to fill himself and his bag back up several times over.

All of which was information he gathered in that brief instant.

He was still at ease, Goblins and Imps were hardly opponents for him at this point, so he began thinking up a name for the technique he just used.

It wasn’t long, that is until he bashed in a third skull, that he knew a good one.

Of course, it was not yet worthy of that lofty name as it only covered a few kilometres in each direction.

But he had a feeling that it would one day be.

So he named it:

Thousand-Mile Eyes.

1