Chapter 1- The Cave
850 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Index

Calista - She is the main character (depicted on the cover), a human mage who wears heavy armor. She is spontaneous and easily gives in to her curiosity.

Aenaes - He is a healer, an elf and the first of the men Calista started traveling with. He is a ball of anxiety and overprotectiveness.

Vahlatok - He is an orc druid. He owns the horses that pull their carriage. He is nonchalant and levelheaded.

Glyph - He is a half-dragon warrior. He clashes with Calista a lot. He’s the smart twin.

Rune - He is a half-dragon warrior. He gets along with everybody. He is the dumb twin.

Syutae - A type of fae creature that grants wishes

 

Chapter 1

Aenaes, Calista and Rune sat in the cab of the wagon. Glyph and Vahlatok were driving the covered wagon. Vahlatok, the orc, handled the two horses best so he drove them, usually gently. The two on the elevated seat behind the horses were armed with bows, a lance and an axe. Vahlatok used the reins and nudged the horses in the direction of the easier path to ascend in the violet and grey colored caverns.

Inside the cab of the covered wagon Aenaes was fidgeting, uncomfortable with their latest decision. “So we are taking a path through the mountainside because a creepy old man warned us not to go further up a supposedly cursed road?” Aenaes asked, reflecting.

“We are,” Calista confirmed.

“That alternate path is taking us through a cave system with glowing rocks the ancients believed were magical,” Aenaes added. He shot a glance at Calista who was beside him in the wagon.

Calista smiled brightened. “Yes, so maybe we’ll see something fantastical.” She turned and looked out the window at the purple and pewter stone formations. “If you believe the legends are true.”

Aenaes folded his arms. The elf always adored Calista’s whimsical and easily amazed traits. They made her endearing, and somehow sweeter. He sank down in his seat. “If you do believe in legends why are you picking this path over the cursed one?”

“Because the old man saw something recently,” Calista answered.

Aenaes started to speak to engage her further, but the content smile Calista wore evaporated his courage. His cheeks became an iridescent red. “R-right,” he managed to whisper.

Rune, one of the half-dragon twins turned and looked out the window. “Tell me if I need to attack,” his deep voice reverberated through the tiny compartment. Following the remark the burly warrior sat in silence using a whetstone on his longsword.

“We will,” Calista replied. Her eyes remained fixed on the glowing rocks throughout the cavern tunnel. There were subterranean root systems of larger plants that protruded through the soil. Her eyes followed down one of the longer roots that wrapped a stalactite. The roots seemed to descend into the river below the carved-out bridges. She clapped her hands together and gasped.

Aenaes leapt to his feet. “What, what is it?” He readied his palm with a barrier spell on the tip of his tongue.

“Look, the root is flowering!” Calista remarked.

A smile crossed Rune’s lips. “It’s pretty, then?”

“Very pretty!” Calista confirmed.

Aenaes collapsed, defeated. “How are you so nonchalant about this?” He shot a glare at the warrior, then folded his arms.

“Cali likes pretty stuff,” the warrior answered.

Aenaes scoffed. “No. I mean,” he stopped speaking when he stood. His eyes trailed down the various titanic roots that reached for the underground river. His face went deadpan as he stared at the flowers on the tree roots, “Roots aren’t supposed to flower.”

“They are though,” Calista remarked. She pointed to another cluster of tree roots that were covered in blossoms and unopened buds. “See? Everywhere down here. Even without sunlight!”

“That shouldn’t be the case,” Aenaes muttered. “This is strange. Something bizarre is happening here. We need to avoid whatever the cause is of all of this,” he motioned toward the flowering plants.

“Everything is fine,” Calista said. She patted Aenaes’ arm. “It’s pretty and we’re seeing it as we travel through the caves.”

“But no stopping,” the elf man said firmly. He pushed open the wagon door. “We are not stopping in here. Keep us going until we reach the other side.”

Glyph looked back at the ajar door. “Why? What happened?” He palmed the handle of his axe. “Do you see something?”

“No but trust me. We need to keep going,” Aenaes answered. He shut the door then returned to his spot beside Calista.

Glyph shrugged. “Alright. Don’t know why he had to specify.” He lowered his axe.

Vahlatok scoffed. “Because he worries about everything.” The orc eyed the area around them. “Although given caves are naturally warm we might want to stop once we find the exit.”

Glyph nodded. “No telling what time of day or the weather we’ll be looking at.”

“And our horses will need rest,” Vahlatok added.

Glyph gave the orc a nod. “Go far enough to shut up the elf’s paranoia.”

“I planned to.”

***

Aenaes stared blankly at the cave entrance. The maw was lined with glowing rocks, twisting roots and the echoes from the underground river resonated through the rough , grassy shelf. “Barely outside the cave,” the elf muttered. He was grateful they listened, though barely.

“The horses need their rest,” Vahlatok said. He anticipated the elf’s complaints. “So unless you’ve got a healing spell to energize them and repair their shoes…” he hoisted a blanket onto the horse’s back.

“We cover this each time we stop,” Aenaes replied. “I do not know of any such spells.”

“Then we rest,” the orc said.

“Immediately outside the cave we need to get away from,” Aenaes murmured. He crossed their camp then stopped beside the firepit. He plopped down with the fire between himself and the cave entrance. He felt the need to glare at the passageway, to make certain he was prepared for whatever phenomena would follow.

“Everything is fine,” Glyph said. He pounded the last of the posts for their tent into the ground. He stared intently at Aenaes, “No worrying.”

Aenaes slumped forward. “I know, you think I’m being overly paranoid.”

“No. I think you need to be realistic,” Glyph answered. He set the mallet in his toolbox, then he wiped the beads of sweat onto his bandana. “We can only travel so far in so much time. We have horses to care for, limited money and we cannot change the terrain. If you are bothered by the cave, stay away from it.”

Aenaes frowned. “I know, I know.” He shot a final glare at the cave. “I’m going to familiarize myself with the area. Make it so we can get out of here sooner.”

“Don’t go alone,” Vahlatok cautioned the elf.

“Who is coming with me, then?” Aenaes stopped, then surveyed the others. Glyph and Calista were putting the leather tent cover on the posts. Rune had flint and was preparing the firepit for cooking.

Vahlatok grabbed his staff. “Me,” he answered. He approached the elf, nodded then took the lead down the dirt path.

The feeling of dread that was creeping into Aenaes’ stomach and chest intensified. He plunged his hand into one of his pouches. He ran his fingers over the coarse salts. “Great. The druid that didn’t realize there was a problem with the plants in the cave,” he muttered.

***

When they were a far enough distance from the camp, Vahlatok stopped. He tapped his staff on the grass then cleared his throat. “I know. The cave was filled with fae magic energy,” the orc said. He saw the relieved expression the elf wore, then he laughed. “You thought I had missed that?”

Aenaes stammered. “How could you not say anything?!”

“And panic the others?” Vahlatok shook his head. “That would have been unwise. But now that we are outside the cave, when the others go to bed, put a salt circle around us. Make certain those vines do not creep out of the cave.”

Aenaes stared while realization spread. “You’re worried?”

The orc nodded. “I believe the old man scared our Calista enough that she would have insisted on the cave no matter what any of us said or did.” He walked through the rugged rock and grass-covered area. His eyes followed the normal stretches of ivy vines that clung to the rocks of the cave system.

Aenaes shrugged. “Sure,” he agreed about Calista. He tossed a handful of salt onto the ground behind him, then he accompanied Vahlatok further down the rugged path. Rabbits and deer hopped about, grazing on the nearby flowers. “She has us to protect her, though,” the elf’s cheeks became flushed, “so…”

Vahlatok nodded. “She does, but the old man had a charm. None of us were going to persuade her otherwise.”

“What? What charm?” Aenaes stammered. His mind flitted back to the conversation they had with the older man who warned them away from their intended path. He remembered the man’s unkempt grey beard, wrinkled face and tattered cloth attire. The man was covered in a slight layer of dirt and he smelled of sweat and the dust in the area. “He was crocheting something,” the elf muttered.

“Pretending to,” the orc said. “Who the man was and why he directed us here need answered and I expect us to find these answers tonight or tomorrow.” The orc stopped beside a grouping of coniferous trees. He dipped his fingers into a pouch then he wiped the powder onto a tree’s trunk.

“We accept we were lured into a trap, then,” Aenaes remarked.

“Yes. I am marking a safe path away from the fae energy while we walk. You concentrate on your protection magic. If we get lucky nothing will come of this and Calista will think you were being overly protective and concerned for nothing.” Vahlatok took several steps then marked another tree.

“Do we tell the twins?” Aenaes asked. After he spoke he hung his head. “Do we tell Glyph?”

“If you can get him alone, certainly. If not, we see what happens,” Vahlatok replied.

***

Calista took out the wooden bowls they used for meals. “Did Aenaes seem anxious?” she wondered aloud.

“No more than normal,” Rune answered. The large man began slicing potatoes. He dropped the small potato chunks into the pan, then cut another potato. “Was it more than normal to you?”

Calista nodded. “Seemed like it to me.” She pulled out a handful of leeks then tossed them into a pan. “He seemed worried about the roots a lot.” She looked in the direction Aenaes and Vahlatok took on their way out of camp.

“Ask him about it when he returns,” Glyph suggested. Glyph shoveled dirt into a bucket, then he disturbed another bare dirt area. “He seemed…” the large man considered his words, “the normal amount of overly anxious for Aenaes.” With two full buckets of dirt and two buckets of water nearby for the fire, Glyph returned his shovel to the wagon. He eyed the cave entrance and tried to understand what about the doorway the healer found so disturbing. Glyph pursed his lips and waited for a monstrosity to make itself known. In the late afternoon light there were butterflies and birds flitting about, but nothing seemed out of sorts with the cave.

Calista looked up at Glyph, then she frowned. “You think something was wrong with the cave, too?” she guessed. She dropped her hands into her lap. “Something with the glowing rocks?”

Glyph shrugged. “Seems fine to me. Was wondering if I missed something and the elf didn’t want to panic us while trying to explain the situation.” Giving up on the notion, Glyph stooped down beside the water buckets. He splashed his face and rinsed his hands.

Calista groaned. “Why would you do that?!”

“It’s water for putting out the fire. My sweat isn’t going to ruin it,” Glyph answered. Calista shoved him and scoffed. Glyph shot a look at her over his shoulder. He replied to her scolding gaze with a crooked grin. “You know it’s true.”

“We certainly can’t drink it now,” Calista muttered. She looked down at the pan of leeks she was preparing. She shook her head slowly in annoyed disbelief of Glyph’s actions.

Rune gently rested his hand on Calista’s shoulder. “Don’t worry. I’ll go get more after these are cooked.”

Calista patted Rune’s hand. “You don’t have to.”

“If you wanted to drink it, it should be clean,” Rune reasoned.

Calista smiled. “That is very considerate. Thank you, Rune.” She squeezed his hand gently. She caressed the various scars and callouses that marked the back of Rune’s hand.

Rune watched the petite woman’s fingers. His face turned a bright red. Her skin was soft against his and the pleasant gesture was unnerving. He cleared his throat and pulled his hand away from Calista’s. He returned to tending the potatoes he was preparing. “D-don’t want them to burn,” he spat out the first lie that crossed his mind.

“Of course not,” Calista agreed.

Glyph watched his twin’s flustered reactions to the tiny mage woman. He shook his head, disbelieving. “I’m going to check on the horses.” He stood then crossed the clearing to the two muscular beasts. He could tell when he was still by the firepit that the horses were fine, but he needed to step away from Calista. They had a contemptuous relationship at times, but that came easily to him. They often disagreed about paths to take, what to buy for meals or anything else that is a matter of opinion, but his twin had a straightforward, supportive friendship with Calista. He despised the envy that would nip at him when the two interacted, but that’s the sort of relationship that came naturally to Rune. Rune was able to go along with somebody else’s plans without much thought. Glyph always found himself wanting to lead and direct others so Calista’s free spirit clashed with him often.

Glyph crouched beside the horses. He patted the black horse’s snout affectionately. While he tried to alleviate himself of his envy he stole a glance at Calista. She was concentrating on cooking their later afternoon meal so she didn’t notice his long, unbroken stare. Glyph shivered, then he looked toward the cave. The remnants of jealousy had dissipated, but now he was unnerved. “Alright, that I felt.” Both horses knickered. “Since you two felt it…” Glyph looked back at Calista and his brother. Calista and Rune both eyed the cave as well. He stood and approached the fire. “We eat, then move downwind,” he suggested.

“After all the work we put into the campsite? And with how tired the horses are?” Calista asked. She scoffed. “No. Absolutely not.”

Glyph looked down at the mage woman. She was once again staring at the leeks she had been preparing. He felt the want to argue with her stoked by her firm stance. He huffed, then held out his palms. “Fine.” He walked past Calista and Rune, “Try to be agreeable,” he muttered to himself, then he disappeared into the tent.

Rune watched his brother walk out of sight. “How’d you do that?”

Calista shrugged. “Maybe he’s tired, too,” she guessed.

14