Chapter 9 – Clashing Personalities
243 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Calista shoved the myriad of potions into her knapsack. “Thank you,” she said on her way out of the shop. She then spent her time in a small bookstore looking for a book for small eats recipes. After finding one she also set about to find a book on potion ingredients. She walked into the tavern where they were staying. She sat at the bar, ordered lunch then she began perusing the books to familiarize herself with the ingredients. “We’ll definitely want to stock up in a few days when we leave,” she said to herself. She reached for her coin purse to start a budget, then she frowned when she realized it was nearly empty. “Damn.”

The barkeep cleaned a glass near the young woman. “Something the matter?”

Calista sighed and shook her head. “I need to make some money while we’re in town is all.”

“What do you do for work?”

“I do whatever odd jobs are needed,” she answered with a smile.

“Ah, good. I overheard some of the locals talking. Apparently there is a pest problem. You may be able to help with that if you ask around,” the barkeep said.

“Perfect, thank you.” Calista paid little mind to Glyph when he sat beside her. He ordered a meal as well. “When we’re done eating I have a job if you want half the pay.” She turned the page in her book.

Glyph gave her a sidelong glance. “Yeah, alright. I’ve got nothing better to do.”

***

“You know what wobblewaks are?” Calista questioned. She walked in-step with Glyph while she followed the directions the locals gave her.

Glyph eyed the area around them expectantly. Since it was only the two of them and they did not have the wagon for cover, he was taking additional precautions. “Yes, I know what they are,” he muttered. He kept his hand readied on the handle of his axe.

Calista looked up from the directions. “Do you know how to handle them?”

“They scare easily,” Glyph answered. “We won’t even have to hurt them.”

“Yeah,” she agreed. “Given how easy this task is why do you think none of the locals have done it?”

“You have the benefits of an education. I’ve wandered the continents. We know that wobblewaks and other such creatures look disgusting and slimy and that may make some people fearful of them, but we also know they’re harmless. Basically giant slugs with huge appetites. Many people don’t know or believe such things unless the facts are proven to them,” he reasoned.

Calista nodded slowly. “That all makes sense.” She glanced down at the directions. “So this is the river. I think it could be easy to move the creatures to this area. Show them the rocks and mud here is edible.” She stopped and looked for the tree with a sign nailed to it that the directions indicated.

“Worry about that after we get them out of this mine,” Glyph replied.

Calista scoffed. “Sorry I thought having a plan before going in was a smart idea,” she said sarcastically. With that she spotted the tree, then moved toward it.

“Yes, because that is what I said.” Glyph rolled his eyes. “Speaking of,” he caught up with Calista. “What did that fae creature give you?”

“It’s a new spell,” Calista answered. She felt embarrassment creeping up on her.

“Yes, but what does the spell do? To us it appeared to make you exhausted for a long while, then you singlehandedly took out some bandits and you knew they had taken out a bridge before we even arrived to see the damage.” Still scanning the horizon for animals or anything amiss, Glyph followed Calista with his axe readied.

Calista looked back at the half-dragon. She had to choose her words carefully. After a brief bout of silence she answered, “It does have a psychic component to it.”

“I gathered that much. But what sort of psychic component?” he pressed.

Calista looked at the directions, then at the marked entrance with hanging lanterns. “Oh, we’re here!” She dashed into the mine.

Glyph groaned. “Why is she being so evasive?” he asked himself as he ambled into the mine behind her.

***

Gathering the large, slug-like creatures into a group then startling them out of the mine proved easy. The wobblewaks responded to Glyph shouting and a sound-based spell Calista used. As the group of creatures squeaked and cried out as they fled from the perceived danger, Glyph and Calista walked the various corridors in search of any stragglers. After scaring the remaining slimy animals from the ore deposits, the pair did another sweep of the area. “I didn’t find any others. I think that was the last of them,” he announced as he approached Calista.

Calista was crouched down beside a pool of water. “Good. Can you help me drag this out of here?” She pulled on one of the metal rings on the container and grunted while she pulled, attempting to move it.

“Why do you want to move that?” Glyph folded his arms and eyed the container.

“Because there could be anything in there!” Calista reasoned. “Isn’t that exciting?!” She continued failing to drag the coffer. She collapsed backward with a groan.

“For certain definitions of exciting, certainly,” Glyph answered.

Calista sprawled out on the ground. “How do you know what to know what’s inside here?! It could be anything! Gold! Magical items, some long, forgotten treasure!”

Glyph looked from Calista who was lying by his feet, then at the worn-down, waterlogged container. “I doubt that,” he muttered.

Calista glared up at Glyph. “Give me one good reason why you won’t help me,” she pointed up at him.

“I’m the one who has to drag this back to town so you can find a locksmith to open it. And it’s probably only water weighing it down,” Glyph replied. “So whatever was in here is probably ruined and it is not worth our time.”

Calista sat upright. “You have so sense of adventure,” she remarked.

Glyph raised an eyebrow. “Because I don’t want to be hurt and exhausted from hauling water to town because you’re overly curious?”

Calista dusted off her attire. “Because you don’t think anything is fun, fascinating or worth exploring,” she muttered. “Unlike your brother, you have no sense of wonder.”

Glyph exhaled sharply. “I am not going to bow to your every whim because you insult me.” He shut his eyes and massaged the bridge of his nose.

“Give me your axe,” Calista said firmly.

“Why? I don’t even think you can lift it, let alone swing it,” he muttered, annoyance still sharp in his tone.

“I don’t think fire is going to prove helpful at breaking it open,” Calista answered. “It’s been in the water for so long.”

“No, you’re not going to drag my axe around in the mud to try using it to beat open an old chest,” Glyph muttered.

“Oh, come on! I just want to know what’s inside!” Calista reached for the weapon, then glared at Glyph when he pushed her hand away.

“Calista, you cannot even lift it,” he reasoned.

“Then you do it,” Calista urged him.

“I don’t want to get wet. Learn to live with a little mystery in life,” Glyph replied. He turned and started toward the entrance of the mine.

“Fine. I’ll ask Rune to help me move it,” Calista said nonchalantly.

Glyph’s forehead wrinkled. He stopped walking. “That’s the second time she’s brought up my brother,” he muttered to himself. He turned and looked at Calista. “What sort of psychic ability did that fae creature give you?”

Calista looked away from Glyph. “That’s none of your business,” she muttered.

“Tell me, tell me, tell me,” he insisted. He approached Calista and kept his gaze on her eyes. “Tell me what sort of ability she gave you.”

“No,” Calista replied. She tried to ignore the tinge of embarrassment that colored her cheeks red.

“Tell me and I’ll smash open the chest for you.” Glyph smirked. He delighted in turning the tables on Calista when they disagreed.

Calista dropped her gaze. “No, it’s personal,” she muttered. When Glyph drew close to her she felt a magical jolt. She gasped and her muscles became taut.

She is so cute when she’s embarrassed. It happens so rarely, though.

Calista realized she was hearing clear thoughts emanating from the warrior. “Why do you want to know so badly?” she muttered.

“I want to know why you’re being shifty about an ability you now have,” he answered honestly. “We disagree all the time about a lot of things but you rarely hide something from me or any of us.” It’s worrying me that you’re not telling us something. Don’t tell her that. She’ll realize how you feel about her and things will get awkward since she may sincerely dislike you. No, we’re friends. We just argue. Don’t think like that. We just argue.

Calista frowned. “If I’m honest about something else will you stop bothering me about it?”

“Alright.”

“I’m not ready to talk about it. It’s a lot. I don’t want anybody bothered or worried or anything, but I want to get used to it before I tell any of you about it,” Calista muttered.

“Sorry for pressing the issue,” Glyph said quietly. There goes arguing. Why is Cali so sexy when she’s arguing or being a spitfire about something?

Calista’s face grew a deeper red. “Um, we need to show the wobblewaks the new area where they can find food so the miners can get back to work,” she spoke quickly, then she dashed off.

Glyph watched her briefly before ambling along behind her. “Why is she so fixated on my brother today?” he muttered. He joined Calista outside near the water. She had started creating balls of mud and rock while sitting beside the water. He crouched down beside her. “Why’d you give up about the chest?”

“You’re absolutely right,” Calista answered. She got into a crouching position, then she used her tabard to hold the various balls of mud. While carrying the cloth like a cradle, she approached a group of the small, slug-like creatures. She rolled one of the balls toward one. After it began eating enthusiastically, others cooed and slithered toward Calista. “Plenty more where that came from!” she continued passing out the balls of mud until there were none. Then she stooped beside the water, grabbed a handful of silt and rocks, then offered it to one of the wobblewaks. “See? You can get this tasty mud right here.”

Still stunned that Calista conceded an argument to him, Glyph watched her interacting with the slug-like creatures. He smiled adoringly. She is adorable when interacting with animals.

Calista became flustered. Her stomach knotted up. Hearing Glyph’s thought that flitted into her mind filled her with dread. “Now that that’s taken care of, we should go get paid.” She wiped the water and mud onto her tabard then she started back toward the village. In the early evening light she stole occasional glances at the half-dragon. She felt guilty hearing his anxieties and not being equally vulnerable, but she was surprised and confused by her revelation because of their situation. Even having the intensely detailed sex dream that originated in Glyph’s imagination hadn’t instilled the idea that she may have feelings for him in her mind. For whatever reason it took something completely nonsexual and nonromantic for her to reach that conclusion.

Glyph glanced sidelong at Calista. “What is it?”

“N-nothing.” She shook her head. “Thank you for coming with me.”

“You’re welcome,” he replied.

Calista shifted her gaze to the setting sun. The sky was now a mix of gold, red and purple. She decided she needed to reflect on her own feelings more. It was flattering that Glyph had such thoughts and feelings, but she shouldn’t act impulsively. She just realized she may have developed feelings for him. She decided to distract herself from overthinking with conversation. “I hope the others have ordered dinner.”

“They probably have. It’s getting late,” the half-dragon replied. “And if there’s a long wait I’ve got bread and trail rations we can eat.”

Calista smiled and nodded. “That would be appreciated.”

7