Chapter 13- Late Night Writing
196 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Perhaps we would both be better served if I helped with your new abilities?” Phoebe suggested. She tented her fingers. “Since from what you have said, so much chaos follows you not having total control over your telepathy.”

Calista slumped. “Yeah. It has become awkward a few times.” She blushed thinking back on the sensual sensations in the presence of the others. “Incredibly.”

“Many find channeling through another activity to be helpful. Spend some time each day channeling and you will begin recognizing changes in psychic energy around you with enough practice,” the prognosticator explained.

“That sounds good.”

“Judging from how embarrassed you seem to get, I’d recommend a solitary activity. One that won’t raise eyebrows if you are alone while doing it,” Phoebe said.

Calista straightened her posture. “Such as what? We travel together, we do a lot together.”

“Writing.” Phoebe shrugged. “Who wants to watch every pen stroke of a letter or journal entry?”

Calista nodded while she contemplated the idea. “I think that could work.”

“Channeling everything into writing can also give you something to reflect back on later. A record of sorts,” the psychic added. “Do your free writing while wearing the circlet and you’ll not only become used to the psychic vibrations, but you may also become less easily embarrassed about the more sensual and intimate thoughts your companions harbor about you.”

“That would be nice,” Calista muttered.

***

“Something must be consistently happening,” Glyph said. He read the label on the shelf of the apothecary shop. He hugged the entirety of the shelf’s contents, lifted them, then placed them beside the shopkeeper.

“Exactly. Otherwise Cali would be her same old self,” Aenaes said. He referenced his book. After a quick look back and forth he took a handful of the leafy herbs from the wooden crate. He walked them to the shopkeeper. “She is a lot more…reactive?” After speaking the elf pondered if that was the correct word.

“She wouldn’t tell me what her ability is. I asked and she avoided answering, changed the subject.” Glyph scanned the labeled potions. “She became inept.”

Aenaes took another bundle of herbs. “Hmm. Peculiar.” He glanced at the half-dragon. “Did you get any sort of clue?”

Glyph shook his head. “No. Too bad there isn’t a truth potion or some such.”

Aenaes frowned. “I wouldn’t be comfortable doing that to Cali.”

“No, not to Cali. To the fae,” Glyph clarified.

Aenaes’ frown faded. “Oh. Because she knows what powers she gave. That makes sense.”

“She knows and she won’t tell us because fae creatures like the chaos they create,” Glyph said.

“That is true,” the healer said. He added the last of the ingredients to the counter. “At this rate I am not comfortable not knowing why Cali is so distressed.” Aenaes sighed and his ears drooped.

“Agreed.” Glyph fished out his coin purse. “Now…what’s all that?” he pointed to the various herbs.

“These can help Cali with energy or magic. I was going to lay out some recipes they would work with flavor-wise.”

Glyph nodded. “Ah. Will they do anything to those of us who don’t use magic?”

“Nothing bad,” Aenaes answered.

“Alright then.” The half-dragon dumped out a pile of coins.

***

Vahlatok and Rune gave small treats to the two horses. They had already visited the wagon and found it to be the same as it was when they left it--always a concern for them when they stayed in one place for an extended period. They walked the horses around, letting them use their muscles while still being rested.

Rune glanced at the orc. “Has Cali been shy with you?” he muttered.

“Shy?” the orc asked. He quirked an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“She’s been spending less time with me. Like she’s shy.” Rune shrugged. “She ran away once.”

Vahlatok considered the question. “There was her teleporting away from me. But she was ill.”

“She stopped talking to me as much, too,” Rune muttered. He frowned and dropped his gaze. “Like I bothered her and don’t know it.”

Vahlatok nodded. “I thought that, too.” He stopped walking. Various fleeting thoughts pieced themselves together. The orc frowned. “You miss her,” he muttered.

Rune blushed and smiled shyly. “Yeah.”

Vahlatok nodded. After getting confirmation he reflected on several past incidents. Individually they seemed innocuous but together they now supported the idea that Rune also held romantic feelings for Calista. “Hmm.”

“What? Did you think of something?” Rune asked.

“No.” Vahlatok shook his head. “Just sort of…reflecting. Wondering about some things.”

“Nothing bad, right?”

“Nothing bad,” the orc confirmed. “Thinking the fae knows more than she ever says. Wondering if something did happen we didn’t mean to.”

Rune scratched his cheek and shrugged. “We were talking about cooking and she ran away.”

“Yes. She has done this several times now.” Vahlatok glanced at his horse. “And now I’m thinking about all of us traveling together.”

“It’s nice to be with friends,” Rune said cheerfully.

“It is,” Vahlatok agreed. His mind flitted back to his intrusive self-conscious thoughts. He had developed feelings for Calista but kept silent given them being different species. He couldn’t imagine the bubbly, curious, energetic human beauty entertaining an orc as a mate. It was a fantasy he had during his private time, but the thoughts kept him guarded. He wasn’t aware until now that the others may feel the same for the mage woman. It made sense. “Asking would be pointless,” he muttered. Addressing the issue would likely make things more awkward for all of them. This was best kept to himself.

***

Taking the prognosticator’s advice, Calista bought a journal, a quill pen and an inkwell. She put on the circlet for aiding with her psychic energies. With her friends in their own rooms and only sharing her quarters with Wish, she began doodling. Her freehand started as loops, squiggles and swirls. The markings began to take shape. She felt innocent thoughts. Aenaes was making recipe cards and his thoughts were focused on that. Blue lotus. Add to tea and other beverages. Yarrow. Bottle the powder and save it for wounds. Lavender. Saved for fungal infections. Tart berries. Cook into things or eat on their own. Sage. Burn for protection. Salt. Protection circles. Calista giggled, thinking of Aenaes as studying.

The flow of thoughts continued. Glyph was making a list of items he would need before they departed once more. Whet stones, nylon rope, pitons, tinderbox, torches, hempen rope, sewing needles, hooded lantern, oil for the lantern. Nothing was unusual there.

Rune’s thoughts were straightforward which she appreciated. His mind was on learning to fish with a spear. He wanted to better his aim and to contribute to the group’s meals so the idea of wading into water and getting fish was his latest idea. It was simple and could be done anywhere there was water. Plus he liked fish. Rabbit, pheasant and deer got boring meal after meal. Calista was relieved to hear his innocent thoughts after experiencing sexual pleasure from only intercepting his thoughts.

She continued doodling small loops and swirls until thoughts guided her hand once more. She caught hold of Vahlatok’s late-night thoughts. He had a mental checklist for caring for the horses, checking his supplies and planning what to do with his free time the following day. The loops and swirls returned. Calista shut her eyes and sighed, relieved. She hadn’t noticed for several moments that she had been writing something cohesive. She lifted the quill, set it aside then re-read the pages of her channeling. The checklists, fleeting thoughts and normalcy. Some gibberish while she waited to be guided. Given Rune is also romantically interested in Calista, if she does prefer the strong muscular type, it stands to reason she might enjoy being with us both. Even once. One of us lovingly fisting her hair while she sucks and licks. The other pleasuring her from behind. Switching to be fair. Wanting to feel her orgasm while inside her. Hearing her muffled moans.

Calista’s face became crimson. “W-why would he think such things?!” Her heart pounded rapidly. She was sweating and panting, feeling the sexual sensations of being on all fours with Vahlatok pleasuring her from behind. Her fingers and toes curled. She went agape. The intense phantom feelings were becoming more realistic. She could imagine his cock sliding in and out of her, though they were never physically intimate. Her muscles went tense. A gasp escaped her throat. Her eyes went heavy. She melted as her inner contractions started. “By the gods,” Calista whimpered.

Wish rolled onto her side. She read Calista’s face then perked up. “And here I thought tonight was going to be boring! Do tell what happened!”

5