Chapter 19
123 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, uh…” Vahlatok cleared his throat. He glimpsed briefly at Calista.

Calista adjusted her circlet. “Hmm?”

The orc dropped his gaze. “I would like to help with whatever jobs you have. If I’m qualified for them.”

Calista quirked an eyebrow. “Is this your roundabout way of scolding me for naming myself an infiltrator and bait?”

Vahlatok let out a weighty breath. “Uh…yeah. More or less.” He rubbed the back of his head nervously.

Calista nodded. “I’ll bring at least one of you with me from now on. I promise.”

Vahlatok visibly became less tense. “Good. Thank you.”

“But I have yet to ask around for rumors or jobs.” Calista stood. She finished her drink. “You wanna come help me with that…or?”

Vahlatok shook his head. “No. I…I could use more coffee,” he stammered.

“Alright.” Calista shrugged. “I’ll see you later.”

“Bye,” he said meekly. Vahlatok watched Calista leave the tavern. After a few moments alone, Glyph, Rune and Aenaes came out from the hallway.

“I don’t think you slipped,” Aenaes said. “She didn’t react to your thoughts at all that I noticed.”

“Agreed. Whatever you did worked,” Glyph said. He sat in one of the empty chairs.

“I spoke whatever came to mind. I didn’t give myself time to think,” Vahlatok explained.

“She flusters me too much for that,” Aenaes muttered.

“Yeah,” Glyph leaned back in the chair. “There’s gotta be a better way.”

“Like what?” Aenaes asked.

“A spell. A trinket or charm.” Glyph shrugged. “You know. Something.”

Aenaes shrugged. “I’ll look into it. But I am not immediately remembering any such thing.”

“Thank you,” Glyph said. Aenaes nodded in reply. Glyph looked at his brother. “You’ve been quiet.”

Rune sighed. He slumped forward. “If Cali heard us thinking about her…why wouldn’t she leave?”

“What?” Vahlatok asked.

“It’s what I’ve been thinking. Maybe she didn’t overhear thoughts. Or not a lot of them. Maybe little ones,” Rune suggested.

“Little ones?” Aenaes repeated.

“Little…like she’s pretty. Or we like her. Or we think she’s smart. And good at magic.” Rune shrugged. “Nothing…” he dropped his gaze, “big.”

“The man may have a point,” Vahlatok said. “If she heard something big, maybe she’d have left.” The orc sat up straight. “To make things less awkward.”

Glyph nodded slowly, agreeing. “Yes, this does make sense. The fae may have been lying to play with us. To watch us squirm.”

“That would create chaos,” Aenaes said.

“So we assume that she can overhear…” Glyph glanced at his brother, “big thoughts, but she’s only heard our small thoughts about her.”

“So we should still be cautious,” Vahlatok said. “We should work on a solution to the worst case scenario here.”

“I’ll look into it,” Aenaes said.

“What if the wish fae was lying?” Rune asked.

“About what?” Glyph asked.

“Everything,” Rune said.

“And we do our best to not think big thoughts in the meantime,” Vahlatok said.

“Right,” Aenaes muttered. “No big thoughts.”

Rune looked at each of the others. “This means you think I’m right?” he asked.

“We think you could be,” Vahlatok confirmed.

“Maybe you’re not as dumb as you seem to think,” Glyph said. He patted Rune’s shoulder.

***

Minerva and Wish watched from afar. Minerva whistled, impressed. “So this is from all of them being smitten with Calista?”

“And me telling them about her powers,” Wish beamed.

“This is…insane,” Minerva muttered. She shook her head and clicked her tongue.

Wish clapped excitedly. “Oh, yes. It is so much fun.”

“And she seems comfortable with them,” Minerva said.

“Oh, yes,” Wish said. Her smile turned devious. “Wait until her powers expand more.”

Minerva leaned against the wall. “They do know she has that crown so she can’t hear thoughts while wearing it, don’t they?”

Wish cackled. “They have no idea! Isn’t this delightful?!”

Minerva shook her head slowly. “There is no way this won’t be amusing to watch unfurl.”

“The best entertainment a fae could hope for,” Wish remarked.

4