Chapter 37 – The Encirclement
613 1 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

No matter the world, there’s always those who want to exploit others for their own benefit. I’m not sure if this kind of open insurgency would’ve ever been possible where I’m from anymore, but this… This rhymes with history.

Blood has already been spilled in the name of this revolution, but mostly by the royal side. If we win, will there be more bloodshed? Or will we be able to find another path to the future?

It may be naïve to think that the generations of bad blood caused by the royals’ abuses would just be brushed aside by them losing their power. Or their genocide of the beastfolk for that matter. But personally, I would prefer not to sully that achievement with even more needless death. I don’t want to reduce this country into rubble if I can help it.

This is another reason why I decided to go with Karine’s plans. If they think I’m a summoned hero, they might listen to me. Maybe I could help them sidestep the mistakes of my world? Not have this rebellion turn into another dystopia akin to the one they are trying to get rid of. Not have it be sidetracked by a desire for a strong leader. That’d be just replacing the king with another despot.

I truly hope I can do that. But…

“Is something wrong?”

Ah, Avilia.

In a strange way, you are probably the purest person I have ever met. I haven’t detected any deception in your words so far. You trusted me very quickly. You’re saddened by people othering you as an elf, but you try to let it not bother you. You keep moving forward.

But you still have a good head on your shoulders. You followed the summoned heroes for years. You know what atrocities they’re capable of. You must be aware of the horrors people can inflict on “the others” if given the chance. We’re just lucky they hadn’t decided to extend their genocide to “elves.” Yet.

Maybe that’s another reason why Karine decided to claim I’m a summoned hero? To bridge the gap between humans and “elves?” To bring about a more egalitarian society? Who knows.

But, Avilia. I can’t believe you keep insisting on following me, even to this place. We’re going to a battlefield, you know?

I don’t want to see you get hurt.

“Huh, what do you mean?”

I hope seeing the world for what it is with your own eyes won’t corrupt you. Change in and of itself isn’t bad, but not all change is good, either.

“You just looked troubled.”

I wonder what’ll happen to the armies if we manage to take control of the capital, seize the royal family and make the king abdicate.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. We haven’t even won this battle yet.

“Oh,” I say, giving off a half-hearted smile, “Sorry, just thinking about things.”

“Tell me. What is wrong?”

“Oh, I’m just thinking what we’re about to take part in.“

“Oh, this battle?”

I nod. “Yes. You think this’ll go as well as Karine thinks?”

“It could. It is absolutely true that the armies are scattered across the kingdom with orders to hunt down an exterminate the beastfolk. As long as the plan to disrupt the transport network is successful, they will not have enough people to even hold the walls.”

-*-*-*-*-*-

As it happens, even with the pony given to Avilia the two of us were among the last to reach our destination. Karine had told us to look for a particular kind of banner, one that held the crest of her family. Turns out that was an actually good idea since the hastily set up camp, as it were, extended all around the city. The rebels seem to be busy setting up what look like cannons.

Tubes with intricate runes, more like. Tubes with supports.
 
From what I understand, our positions are set far enough from the capital to not be hit by arrows, while staying within the range of our muskets and cannons. Which, as it happens, the Kingdom doesn’t use. There’s no “honor” in shooting your enemies from this far. Oh, and the Empire has banned the Kingdom from importing its weapons. Apparently, before the Kingdom put up its own ban of Imperial weapons, they set up an export ban themselves.

There’s a lot of manufacturing capacity in the Kingdom, though, but the internal ban had made the manufacture of their own weapons impossible. Until Karine had started to do her own thing, that is. As I understand it, she had to pull a lot of strings to have this happen.

I don’t want to think what would’ve happened to her if the royals had found out!

As for why we were late…

Avilia had wanted to stop for a while since sitting atop the pony had started to hurt her backside, and we had sort of lost track of time until we saw another group of rebel soldiers march past us, giving us looks.

We really aren’t giving them the best impression, are we? Whatever!

I give Avilia support as she dismounts the pony, and someone comes take the pony off our hands almost instantly.

Just us two now. This whole thing still doesn’t feel entirely real. I’ve been here for a few weeks, and I’m already taking part in a battle?

“We should get to Karine,” I say, glancing at Avilia before I turn my eyes to look at Karine’s family banner again.

Avilia grabs my hand. “I hope she is not too angry.”

“I doubt it,” I say, ruffling Avilia’s hair a little with my free hand, “Doesn’t look like they’ve even started yet.”

She smiles. Success!

We’re getting closer to Karine’s banner.

“The walls of the capital look tall from here, do they not?”

“Oh, they sure do! Sturdy, too!”

Avilia nods.

“But against cannons, though,” I continue, “They might as well not be there.”

“It all depends on the strength of their magic.”

Ah, right. This world has magic. The walls have probably been inscribed with all sorts of things, and they probably have mages casting all sorts of protective spells to try to stop them from falling.

But we have magic, too. Their only way to reach us is by magic, but they’ll be too busy defending against magic infused technology to do much. Right?

“It’s our magic against theirs, huh?”

“Yes. At the end of the day, magic is how wars are won or lost in this world.”

“There you are! I’ve been waiting for you two for at least an hour!”

We’re met by a very impatient, almost angry looking Karine. Avilia hides behind me.

“I’m sorry, we lost track of time.”

She sighs. “Well, at least nothing’s happened yet. We’re still waiting for their response to our demands.”

Avilia emerges from behind me, obviously thinking the danger is over.

“Not expecting much?”

“What makes you think that?”

“The cannons.”

Karine laughs. “Well, you’re right. We know the royals are too prideful to give up that easily. I hope we can rattle them into giving up fast, though, but if not…” She trails off.

“If not?”

“Oh, we’ll have to start following our plans. They know time’s on their side on the long run, but we have overwhelming firepower.”

“So that means,” Avilia interjects, “That their transporters have been interrupted, right?”

“Yes, yes it does! They’ll either have to find a way to get around the interference at every point or march all the way here.”

“They’ve no idea when they might be getting reinforcements?”

“Exactly. If they’re lucky, they’ll manage to find the jammers and restore the network fast. If not, well, they might not be getting any help in months.”

Months. I doubt they have enough food for months. Probably not even enough for weeks, given how dependent everything seems to be on instant travel. I wonder how long it’ll take for the people of the capital to turn against their masters once they realize they’re going to starve, just so they can hold onto their pride?

“Miss! Miss Strophie!”

The man stops to catch his breath. He’s wearing a neat military uniform. If my eyes don’t deceive me, he’s around our age.

“What is it?”

“The mediator! He’s been killed!”

Karine’s eyes widen. She seems genuinely surprised. “What?!”

“They shot him full of arrows! Just as he was coming back to us!“

Karine looks at the table, holding her forehead.

“They aren’t letting us recover the body, either!”

She looks up. “So, negotiations have broken down. I didn’t expect them to go that far, but nothing’s changed.”

“Since the situation is as it is now,” the man continues, “The other leaders are asking for your presence!”

“Right.”

She turns to us. “Could you two wait here for a bit? This shouldn’t take long. They probably just want to confirm our next course of action.”

“Alright,” I say, “It’s not like we have anywhere else to go.”

Content with my response, she turns to the man who leads her away.

Who thought they’d take the first shot of this siege?

33