Creation Myth (Part 1)
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been a few days since we’d left Dajjal and headed eastbound for our first stop on the way to Ptarmigan. We’d traded our camels for a horse-drawn carriage and though some small, heat-addled part of me would always miss Demon, I was frankly enjoying the much more comfortable benches - they came with the added benefit of allowing me to cuddle up against Maeve as we travelled, which I was currently enjoying immensely.

For all her flirtations, Maeve never asked to make things between us more physical. I wasn’t going to guess her reasons, and knowing her past, they might be quite complicated indeed. In any case I was in no hurry to push her boundaries (I still hardly knew my own, after all), and so we tended to spend a lot of time just pleasantly close to each other like this.

We weren’t the only ones finding time for one another. Wolfgang and Xenna were adorable, playing it cool around us but constantly sneaking off for walks or riding at the front of the carriage to be alone together. I wondered if it was Xenna’s shyness that kept them from displaying their affection around us, but then it occurred to me that Wolfgang might actually be the more bashful one.

Zyturak was entirely unbothered by our pairings - in fact, he seemed buoyed by the happiness we’d found in each other. Even so, I noticed a growing anxiety in him over the last few days, so I gently separated from Maeve - who had fallen asleep on my shoulder - and went over to speak with him.

Seth: “You doing okay, buddy?”

I must have actually managed to take him by surprise, because his concern was only masked with a smile after he heard my voice.

Zyturak: “But of course, Seth! Is it finally time to lay those privacy ground rules you mentioned, or-”

Seth: “Zy, that was a pretty great deflection - and I do want to navigate the weird world of public memories with you someday - but it’s a deflection nonetheless. You’re always there for us, and we love you for it, but you need to let us be there for you, too.”

Zyturak sighed deeply.

Zyturak: “I suppose I’m caught out. It’s just that I’ve been thinking...”

He paused. This must have been more difficult for him than I expected, so I tried to help him along.

Seth: “A dangerous pastime.”

Zyturak: “Indeed. But what’s most dangerous of all is that the Ardenscar’s influence has spread even farther.”

We shared a grave expression.

Seth: “How do you- Oh! The queen, right?”

He nodded.

Zyturak: “I had previously mentioned an unusual mental affliction I’d noticed developing among the upper class. This was my first time seeing it up close.”

Zyturak: “Queen Dajjal was not herself. I had read her emotions to determine the best way to get us out of that spot of trouble, but it was like someone had already reached into her mind and started playing. It shouldn’t have been so easy for us to manipulate her like that. Her desperation for respect and her resentment for the worst among her court had been magnified to the point of instability. The result was someone in a position with a lot of power, a means to procure even more, and a motive to go to war.”

Suddenly, the rocking motion of the carriage made me queasy.

Zyturak: “Anyway, the actual issue is that there is no nation farther from the Ardenscar than Xindelle. That means that now anyone, anything, is simply waiting to become a pawn in The Architect’s game.”

The way he described it, this was basically proof that all of our anecdotal evidence having lined up was no coincidence - the Ardenscar really was the focal point of everything - and it made our shadowy adversary all the more terrifying. But it also meant we were on the right track.

Seth: “So that’s why you looked so down.”

Zyturak: “It’s just that The Architect will eventually discover our plan. And if this is only the least of Its abilities, well... 

He looked me in the eye for a long time before slumping his shoulders in defeat.

Zuturak: “... we would have to be complete fools to think we’d have even the slightest chance of standing against It.”

Xenna: “Hey! Now who’s losing faith a little too quickly?”

Wolfgang: “To think we would ever hear you giving up before we’d even tried, Zyturak!”

They had come into the carriage from the front, putting on their bravest faces for him. Like me, they were doubtless worried to hear our usually unflappable emotional anchor speak so hopelessly, but they did their best to reassure him regardless. It was no small feat, since they knew he could see our anxieties even more clearly than he could our faces.

Xenna: “Sorry, Zyturak... You’re always watching out for us with that quiet confidence of yours, but because of it, we never thought to check in with you. What are you really feeling?”

Zyturak’s lips turned up in a genuine smile.

Zyturak: “Only that I have the greatest friends in all of Arden. This Architect may very well be approaching omnipotence, but together, I bet we can still give It quite the surprise. Of course, I do have my share of worries just like the rest of you. That said, it seems we’ve accomplished a few miracles already...”

He looked over at the sleeping Maeve, and the others followed his gaze.

Wolfgang: “True. That really was… something, back there in Dajjal.”

Xenna: “I was so scared…”

This again? I felt anger starting to burn in my chest and was about to snap at them in frustration.

Xenna: “But, in the end, she struck down the queen’s armor. Despite our fears, Maeve might actually be in control when she’s like that... right?”

Zyturak: “Perhaps not fully, no. But I think we all know by now that Bedlam does not simply turn Maeve into a monster - all of it comes from somewhere deep inside of her. While she may struggle in the moment with what it means to project those parts of herself outward, I have no doubt that the more she comes to terms with those difficult memories, the more control she will gain while reliving them.”

I thought back to how Maeve had been near feral after the queen’s war machine fell. She started squeezing the life out of me without even thinking about it when I approached her, but the instant she actually realized what she was doing she let me go and returned herself to normal. What was it like for her, to be lost in the throes of those nightmares while letting the phantom pain of them shape her very skin…? I couldn’t imagine, but it was no wonder she’d reacted so aggressively when I’d embraced her in the midst of them.

Wolfgang was the most hesitant, but he nodded along with Zyturak.

Wolfgang: “While her ‘gifts’ may be an affront to nature and stink too much of the corruption of the Ardenscar for my liking, I can’t deny that they did save us from that Cenotaph behemoth. And if you all think it’s still Maeve in there when it happens, well, I swore to follow her to the ends of Arden. There’s no backing out now just because we might actually be headed there!”

My moment of anger turned into embarrassment as everyone chose to trust in Maeve. It was a lot to ask of anyone, but in the end these were true friends, and I was thankful that we would have each other to rely on in the trials to come. 

Maeve stirred, blinking in confusion at all of us watching her sleep. She stood up suddenly, panic in her voice.

Maeve: “Hmm...? If you’re all here, then who’s driving this thing!?”

Wolfgang: “Ha ha ha!! Not to worry! I asked the horses if they minded taking the reins for a moment. They assured me it would be no troub-”

The carriage shook violently and almost tipped on its side, rolling on two wheels for nearly five seconds before stabilizing. Wolfgang’s cheeks burned.

Wolfgang: “Ahem. Excuse me for a moment…”

Wolfgang hurried to the front of the carriage, the rest of us left staring blankly at each other. After a quick moment he returned, his voice thick with self-satisfaction.

Wolfgang: “They said they were just horsing around!”

After a very pained collective groan, we looked outside. We were passing a lot of farmland which suggested we were almost at Exodus, the capital city of Providence. To our surprise, the king’s troops were already garrisoned outside the walls to protect the farmers. My friends were as dismayed as I was.

Zyturak: “Things are escalating much faster than we thought…”

Xenna: “Their impasse with Genn must be coming to a head. Genn has wanted independence for years, and The Architect’s meddling has finally forced this conflict out of them.”

Wolfgang: “I can only imagine what things are like elsewhere…”

Zyturak: “Tensions between my home of Zerinn and the Aldmoor empire have been rising out of control ever since the Ardenscar started claiming more of Aldmoor’s land. I have to assume that by now, they’re already at war…”

Xenna and Maeve, who were both from Aldmoor, grimaced.

Maeve: “Well, since we’re almost at Exodus, let’s put aside what we can’t control for now, and focus on what we can.”

The others shook themselves from their gloom and gave her their attention.

Maeve: “The city is so massive that it’s divided into four parts, but we’ll only be heading to the Market Quarter on this occasion. In addition to our usual resupply run, we’ll also have to prepare for the freezing Ptarmigan weather - I trust I can leave those preparations in your capable hands, Wolfgang?”

Wolfgang: “You will all pine for the warmth of the desert when you feel the relentless chill of Ptarmigan on your skin, but I’ll ensure frostbite doesn’t claim even one of your limbs!”

Xenna: “A-And after we get the supplies we’ll be staying at The Royal Spirits, right!?”

I wasn’t sure why she sounded so hopeful as she asked that, but a few hours later Xenna and Wolfgang were across the table from each other, pounding back strong drinks during a spirited rematch. Things looked a lot closer this time, though Xenna was still cheating. She must have refined her technique because Wolfgang was leaning forward in his chair, sweat on his brow as he stared into Xenna’s eyes over his pitcher. I almost developed a hangover just watching, but when I went to say as much, a yawn stole the words from me. Maeve noticed and turned to the others, stretching elaborately.

Maeve: “I’m pretty beat, so I think I’m heading to bed. You guys have already overdone it, but don’t forget we’re leaving bright and early tomorrow no matter what shape you’re in, alright?”

Neither contestant answered her. Zyturak shook his head. 

Zyturak: “Get some rest. I’ll keep an eye on these two and let you know who our champion is in the morning.”

Seth: “My money’s on Xenna. She’s got something to prove!”

Maeve: “You can’t ever bet against Wolfgang in a drinking contest! It’s just wrong!”

Zyturak laughed. 

Zyturak: “It seems the stakes are higher than I thought! Not to worry, I promise to be an impartial judge.”

We bid Zyturak good night, and Maeve and I headed to our room.

1