Epilogue (Part 1)
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Maeve: “On your left!”

I turned and managed to dodge the cultists' dagger just in time.

Seth: “Thanks, love!”

I blasted my aggressor with dark energy, rendering him unconscious instantly. Maeve’s tendrils lifted two more cultists, smashing them together and letting them drop in a heap. It looked like that was all of them. Maeve’s appendages sloughed off, writhing errently before pooling into blood once more. She approached me in a huff and put her hands on her hips.

Maeve: “How many times do I have to tell you to stop gawking at me and focus! That grunt was seriously close to ending you there, and just how embarrassing would that have been?”

Seth: “I’m Cenotaph, remember? It’s supposed to take a whole army to bring me down.”

Maeve: “Second generation. And I don’t ever want to test that theory!” 

Seth: “Alright, fair. But you’re just so happy when you’re eliminating a sect! And since this was the very last one, I may never see that endearingly sadistic smile of yours again...”

Maeve: “Hang on... that’s your reason!?”

Seth: “Can you blame me? You’re giving the cults what they deserve without sinking to their level. Whenever we do this I can see the catharsis written all over your face, and I happen to think it’s quite beautiful.”

She couldn’t help but blush, and all the anger went out of her. We worked to restrain the cultists in perfect sync - we had done this countless times together by now. 

Maeve: “Well, I guess I should count my blessings that you’re such a deviant. Anyone else would be terrified by that smile, not risking their life for a glimpse of it. And they certainly wouldn’t be here alongside me taking out the trash like this…”

Seth: “Hey, given my heritage, these clowns are technically just as much my responsibility as they are yours. I’m not here with you just because I like you or anything.”

She raised an eyebrow and gave me a lopsided grin. 

Maeve: “True, it’s because you love me.”

Seth: “Oh, guilty as charged. But seriously, hon... this monumental undertaking of yours, now that it's actually done - it’s going to change the world forever. A lot of innocent people are going to be safe from these monsters now - and that simply wouldn’t have been possible without you. I’m just so proud of who you are, your dedication, and everything that you’ve accomplished.”

She let out a long, shaky breath as she took in my words. We had spent the last three years travelling across all of Arden, hunting down active Bedlam cultists and bringing them to justice. And with this sect dissolved, the Cult of Bedlam had at long last been stamped out for good. After an emotional moment she let herself relax and cast a radiant smile my way.

Maeve: “Is that so…? Then, how about you take this accomplished woman of yours to dinner tonight to celebrate?”

Seth: “It would be my great honour to escort the most wonderful woman in all the realms.”

I bowed dramatically, and she stifled a laugh.

Seth: "Oh, and... I actually have a surprise for you afterward.”

Her eyes widened curiously at that.

Maeve: “Then I shall await our evening with bated breath.”

//Time Skip//

After loading the unconscious cultists into the carriage, we hauled them off to Ellia. Then with knowing smiles we handed them over to the local authorities. Being the closest nation to the Ardenscar, Aldmoor had always had the most cult activity in all of Arden, and as a result The Empress was notorious for her harsh sentences against such criminals. As we watched the guards haul them away, we didn’t feel any sympathy whatsoever.

Maeve: “We actually did it… Seth, we really did it!!”

The reality of it finally caught up with her. She threw her arms around me and pushed her lips against mine. I matched every bit of her passion with my own. When she let me go, her eyes were glistening.

Maeve: “I know you’ve asked me to give myself credit for this, and I definitely will, but... I need you to know how much it means to me that you’ve stood by me through it all. Even putting aside all the cultist wrangling, you’ve travelled around the world with me nonstop without complaint, set your life goals aside to help me with my own, and got me through a lot of hard nights whenever those damned thoughts of mine get the better of me. What I’m saying is... I love you so much.” 

Seth: “I love you too, Maeve. And just so we’re clear, none of that ever felt like a burden to me. Knocking out cultists is fun, travelling has certainly been no vacation but we’ve been able to see so much of the world together, my life goals sort of required yours to be accomplished first anyway, and… well, I’m going to be there for you whether it’s your best night or worst, because I know you’ll always be there for me too, ready with a waterskin.”

She laughed at that. Her smile was brilliant, but then her smokey eyes narrowed.

Maeve: “Hey, so just what are these mysterious life goals of yours? You’ve always been so vague about it, but now you’re actually going to have to tell me!”

Seth: “Sorry about that… It's just really embarrassing. I promise to tell you after dinner though, is that okay?”

Maeve: “Yeah, of course it is. I’ve waited this long, I don’t mind waiting a little more. You’re worth it.”

She kissed me again.

Maeve: “So where are we heading, anyway? The MusKeg?”

Seth: “Somewhere a little fancier.”

We left Ellia and continued farther into Aldmoor. Their war with Zerinn was still ongoing, though in name only. With the corruption around the Ardenscar cleansed, Aldmoor had regained all of its territory, which had been the excuse cited for the war in the first place. Both nations were too stubborn to admit that the war no longer served a purpose - Aldmoor was too proud to be seen on the national stage as just a thoughtless aggressor and Zerinn’s honour prevented them from letting Aldmoor get away with declaring war scot-free. Over the past few years, however, the ones who had originally been clamouring for war simply didn’t seem to care for it anymore, and the battles went from bloody to purely ceremonial. As a result, things were actually back to normal for the citizens of both nations for the most part.

It didn’t take us long to reach Kor, Aldmoor’s capital. The massive, heavily fortified city was the product of the Aldmoorian’s need for innovation in a dangerous land. Monsters stalked the swampy woods at night, and the first settlers had to adapt fast to survive. They hadn’t reached the ancient Cenotaph’s sophistication of technology, of course, but in all of Arden only Genn could rival their engineering.

Maeve: “Wow, this takes me back… I’m actually from Kor.”

I held back my grin.

Seth: “You don’t say…”

I took her hand and led her to a fine dining establishment called Sallow’s. As we approached the door I took her aside.

Seth: “Sorry about this, but I put the reservation under your last name since I kind of… don’t have one.”

She hid a laugh behind her hand.

Maeve: “Not a problem. You can borrow it.” 

Then she leaned in and whispered in my ear.

Maeve: “And if you’d like, you can keep it…”

How was it that all these years later she could still get my heart hammering like this? 

Seth: “I think I’d like that very much.”

I took Maeve’s arm and opened the door. Our interaction had left me weak at the knees, but I managed to reach the host without swooning.

Seth: “Liscomb, party of two.”

Sallow’s Host: “Right this way.”

After we looked over the menus, Maeve ordered seared salmon and I decided to try the pumpkin frittata after confirming with the waiter that it wasn’t made with mushrooms. Then to my great surprise, Maeve ordered a bottle of vintage wine. Bowing, the waiter left with our orders.

Seth: “Maeve, you haven’t had so much as a drop to drink since I’ve known you. It’s a fine selection, to be sure, but what changed?”

Maeve: “Well, when I first escaped the cults I used to use alcohol to… cope. Drown out the voices for a while. But I was drowning myself in the process. It took a few tries… more than a few, actually, but I eventually got out of the habit.”

Seth: “And starting up again now… you’re not afraid to relapse?”

Maeve: “Nah. I’m in a much better place now, and being able to drink in moderation again will help me feel like I’m over that part of my life for good. I have you to kick my ass if I fall off the wagon, of course, but ultimately it’s something I want to be able to prove to myself.”

Seth: “I understand. You have my support, then.”

Maeve: “I thought I might, but still. Thank you.”

She reached for my hand from across the table and softly ran her fingers across the back of it.

Maeve: “So you ordered the pumpkin whatsit, eh? Still avoiding fish after all this time, are we?”

Seth: “Like my adoration for you, some things never change.”

While we waited for our main course, we enjoyed freshly baked bread and sipped our wine. This place had quite the atmosphere, but I found myself simply admiring the impossibly gorgeous woman in front of me. We smiled at each other, thrilled to finally be enjoying each other’s company without any pressing business to attend to.

She poured me another glass of wine, and water for herself. The waiter arrived with our meals, and we dug in. After years of rations and pub food, this meal was divine. A glance at Maeve’s face suggested she felt the same. When I noticed her bouncing her legs, I could tell that she was channelling her inner lady and that it was taking everything in her power not to start interrogating me about the surprise. God, she’s cute.

After finishing up, we asked the waiter for our bill. I pulled out a small sac of coins and handed it to him.

Seth: “Keep the change.”

He bowed gracefully and escorted us back to the doors.

Sallow’s host: “Thank you for choosing Sallow’s, Mr. and Mrs. Liscomb. Please come back soon.”

The old me would have started awkwardly sputtering at that. The new me was just as awkward.

Seth: “Why, old bean, I believe we will. Isn’t that right, dear?”

Maeve: “But of course my love, this establishment is simply top drawer, the squid’s tentacles, as it were.”

The host put on a polite, if confused smile, and we ran out of Sallow’s before bursting with laughter.

Maeve: “Well look at you, Mr. High Roller! You covered the whole bill, all on your own!”

Our work had cost quite a bit in supplies and room and board. Some of the cities we dropped the cultists off in had given us reward money, which luckily ended up covering everything and then some. I had been saving a bit of it for this dinner, and the rest for one other thing…

Maeve: “...and thank you, Seth. I had a lovely time.”

Seth: “The night’s not over just yet! We have one more stop to make.”

We got back in the carriage and travelled for about half an hour more through the city’s labyrinthine streets. I carefully watched Maeve’s face as we approached our destination. Her expression was difficult to read, and I hoped this wasn’t going to be a huge mistake.

We got out of the carriage and walked up the winding path to a large manor with a well-maintained orchard. When we reached the doors, I turned to her and tried not to let my nerves show.

Seth: “Well, here we are.” 

Maeve was quiet for a long time. Crickets chirped and I had to force myself not to bite my nails to deal with the suspense. Then she began to quietly cry.

Seth: “Oh god, I really messed this up, didn’t I? I’m so sorry Maeve, I should have talked to you first-”

Maeve: “What are we doing here? Doesn’t someone else live here now?”

Seth: “Actually, the house isn’t really the surprise. This is.”

I handed her the deed I had tracked down by following a paper trail of legal documents. I found most of what I needed at Kor’s library, but I did have to follow up with a few people around town to make this work.

Seth: “It says this estate is considered ancestral. By Aldmoorian law, ownership is granted to the next of kin when the owners pass on, but they had never found your aunt - maybe she skipped town after you went missing..."

Maeve pursed her lips at the news but seemed largely indifferent to the woman's fate.

"Anyway, it had been so long that some people were living here, but in the event that the next of kin ever returns, the empire will refund in full the payment the tenants have on the house and help them move elsewhere. I asked them about it, and they said that while it was a wonderful home, they would be honoured to pass it over to its rightful owner.”

Seth: “All of that is to say… the Liscomb estate is yours, Maeve. If you want it.”

She threw her arms around me and her gentle sobs rocked us both for a minute. Then she laughed at herself, wiping away her tears.

Maeve: “I’m sorry for this reaction. I can tell how much work you put into this, and it’s an incredible gift, it really, truly is. A lot of memories just came back to me all at once, that’s all. Sure, a lot of them were bad. But if you’re willing to move in with me, I think we can make just as many good ones.”

Seth: “Oh, um, I wasn’t trying to insinuate that I would have to-”

Maeve: “Come on lover boy, you know me by now. If I didn’t want you around I’d have kicked you to the curb long ago, and the house is much too big for one person. So… what’s your answer?”

I couldn’t contain my joy. I held her arms and looked deeply into her beautiful eyes to show her how serious I was.

Seth: “I’ll answer both of tonight’s questions at once, then. The truth is… this has always been my goal. Growing up alone in a library, undertaking a dangerous quest across Arden, putting an end to the cults of Bedlam - throughout it all, my dream has always been to one day settle down and live a normal life with the one I love. If you’ll have me... it would be a dream come true.”

Maeve: “If it’s a normal life you want, you’ve got the wrong girl... but I swear that I will love you with everything that I am.”

Seth: “What more could I possibly ask for?”

Maeve turned around, shrugging her backpack off of her shoulders and digging through it as she spoke.

Maeve: “Well… it’s no ancestral deed, but I do have a little surprise for you too. You’re looking a little drained after taking down that last sect, and I thought of a fun new way we can try to recharge that dark energy of yours…”

She couldn’t even look me in the eye as she pulled the gift out of her bag.

Seth: “Maeve, you didn’t.”

Maeve: “I did! At long last, vengeance shall be mine!”

...it was a blindfold. It looked like she meant to make this running joke a reality, and I was not complaining!

When we recovered from her objectively terrible joke, Maeve reached for the door handle. Before we went in, I noticed something.

Seth: “Oh, looks like the previous owners left some mail. I’ll bring it inside in case they come back for it some day...”

I pulled the envelope out of the mailbox, but it was actually addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Liscomb… from Zyturak Sojourn. Maeve peeked over my shoulder and she was just as shocked as I was. We turned to each other.

Seth and Maeve: “How does he do it!?”

I opened the letter. It was a very brief, formal invitation for us to visit his home in Zerinn next week.

Maeve: “I can’t wait to see how Zy’s doing! We’ve been so busy with all this cult crushing that we haven’t had time to keep up with those guys. But how in Bedlam did he know- nope, there’s no point in asking. He knows us so well that he just sees our future too now, I guess.”

Seth: “That should sound crazy but knowing Zy, you’re probably right.”

Maeve: “Well, that gives us a few days to get our house in order. I’d like to give you the tour, lover boy. I think you’ll find the bedroom of particular interest…”

We passed through the threshold, hand in hand.

1