Chapter 13
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Who are you, mister?” asked the little boy, looking at the man who soaked in the picturesque sunsetting view.

Jon Qao, closed his eyes and took a deep breath, a gentle breeze blew through his uneven hair. “You want to take revenge for your father?”

Fen nodded his little head and said resolutely, with fists clenched. “Mm-hmm! I want to beat up the one to hurt my dad.”

An audible gulp escaped Louie from the side. He wanted to put a hand over the boy’s mouth to stop him from talking, but his muscles were locked in. Too afraid to move, too scared to breathe. All he could do was look.

“Beat up?” Jon Qao said with genuine curiosity. “What happened to your father?”

“He, he, he died.” Fen’s head dropped down and wiped his tears to stop himself from crying.

“Then why not kill the man? Why just be content with a simple beating? Why not rip him apart, shred him into pieces? I’ve seen people do more vile things for less, or even just for the pleasure of it.”

The little boy shook his head. “No. My dad said that killing is wrong and that it should not be something we str- stri-, we want to do. But don’t worry mister, I’m gonna give that man a good beating.”

Jon Qao smiled. For the first time since he came to this world, he smiled.

“I’ve wondered if your father faked it, but he is indeed a man worth remembering,” said Jon Qao softly.

The cultivation world was a ruthless one. Everyone was in permanent pursuit of resources. Hidden treasures, herbs and plants, flames, powerful magical beasts, and above else territory. No one helped no one without a selfish reason. Of that he was sure, now more than anything.

It was a constant fight against the current, especially for someone of common birth, part of no royal family or clan.

Everyone valued their own efforts, properties, and safety higher than everything, sometimes even their own blood.

And to see something like this, was refreshing.

“What? I didn’t hear you, mister?”

“How about if I train you?”

“You?” Fen slanted his head from left to right, pondering and looking at Jon Qao’s disheveled state. “Are you strong, mister? You don’t look strong.”

Jon Qao smiled and lowered himself on one knee to be on the same level as Fen.  “Do you want me to show you how strong I am? Come over,” He beckoned the boy to come closer.

However, as soon as he took a few steps, Louie rushed in front of him, like a shield with arms spread.

“Big brother, Louie, what’s wrong?” asked the little boy while moving to the side.

“I… ah, I.” He just acted on instinct and was lost for words. His entire body was trembling.

Jon Qao let out a heavy sigh and shook his head. “He’s just trying to protect you. But it’s unnecessary and pointless.”

Jon Qao grabbed a small stone from the ground and a blade of grass. He stood up and lightly threw the stone towards the boy. Fen clumsily caught the stone and looked at it in his hands.

Shish!

A blade of grass pierced the stone. The young boy’s mind was blown away and looked incredulously at Jon Qao who at this point was walking away, hands behind his back like an old master.

“Be here tomorrow evening at the same time. If I don’t see you, I don’t think we’ll see each other again.”

The boy was still unable to talk, his eyes showing a glint of warship towards Jon Qao. Louie almost took away the stone from his hands and threw it. He could breathe properly and the situation just hit him.

“Fen, you should never meet that man again.” The entire situation was messed up.

“Ugh, why not? If I can be as strong as him, I can beat that man really hard,” he said with determination. 

“He’s not a good man, Fen.”

“Big brother, Louie, do you know him?”

Louie was at a loss. He didn’t know if he should tell the boy the truth. Logic said so, but he was also afraid of what Fan might do and how Jon Qao would react. He should ask Parcey.

“I know he kills people. What if he teaches you to do the same. Won’t your father be disappointed?”

“That… Dad told me that a knife it’s just a tool. It could be used to hurt, or protect. I’ll learn to be strong and protect my mother. I have to.” The resolve in the boy’s voice left no room for negotiation.

“Uh… I… We should get you home, I’m sure your mother is worried about you.” 

The little boy nodded and after a few steps, he stopped. “Ah! I forgot to ask his name.”

***

It was evening when Ravi and Parcey walked out of the most imposing building in the town, guided out by a woman in uniform. She was in her mid-thirties and her hair was tied behind her back.

“Please hurry. The city lord must be informed as soon as possible. We would send someone else if we could, but this is very important. And don’t worry, the sheriff will take care of everything regarding Weller,” said the woman.

Parcey nodded. “I understand. We’ll leave for Polis after we let Salvina know.” Beside him, Ravi grunted, dissatisfied.

They passed the guards at the entry door and then the ones at the gate and walked on the streets of the town. The bustling crowd from the afternoon was no longer, shops were closed, only a few taverns, inns, or funhouses were still open.

“I hate this,” said Ravi angrily. “We should be by Salvina’s side and help her with the burial, not chasing wild dogs.”

“I don’t think that’s the saying.”

“I don’t give a fuck. My point stands. Why should we go? Just for the off chance that maybe they can obtain a sketch from us of this fucker? Who the fuck cares? It’s not like we can do anything to him. Fuck, no one can do shit to him. He’s a goddamn True Marti—.”

Parcey abruptly covered his mouth. “Shh! Shut up, you moron. You heard the sheriff. No one can know about this before the city lord.”

“Take away your dirty hand. Ptooey! Ptooey! What the hell is that acrid taste?” Ravi jerked away Parcey’s hand and wiped his mouth.

“Let’s go and tell Salvina that we’ll have to leave for a couple of days and to keep it a secret how Weller died,” said Parcey.

“I hope those fuckers help her properly with all the preparations, otherwise I'm gonna give that fat pig a lot of headaches.“

“They will. The sheriff respected Weller a lot. Everyone did.”

When the duo reached Salvina’s house, Louie and Fen had yet to arrive. They waited for a while while they explained everything that had happened at the sheriff's estate and what he wanted from them, yet they still hadn’t come. 

Sadly, they couldn’t wait any longer as they had to leave for Polis and when the two boys arrived they had already left.

1