Quest 38- Coffin To Heaven
4.4k 8 128
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Traveling through the sands of Israfan Cirrus along with his crew and the Hermes Familia.

“So you’ve been a desert pirate for 5 months, Zephyr?” said Hermes.

“Technically, we're Privateers under the Shalzard employment. Jane paid off her crimes in the country, so were more or less their military,” said Cirrus.

“Hmm… so uh… how much money did you—“

“Enough to make some people and businesses very, very loyal.”

Lydia turns to Cirrus.

“So Zephyr, what will become of this successful crew?”

“Uhh well, I figured they’ll run a business in Ukhara, seeing as it’s a focal point where merchants come through.”

“I see, I see…” said Hermes as he strokes his chin.

 

A while later, they arrived at the ports of Varga under different flags to get in, as well as papers.

Under the guise of the night, they went to work infiltrating the city.

Taking a deep breath, Hermes laments on the city walls.

Haaa… the city looks great from above! Such a shame we can’t enjoy the city lights for longer.”

“You can enjoy the celebratory after this is done, Lord Hermes.” Said Cirrus as he looks out with his telescope. “Found them, there in the west section of the palace.”

Cirrus hands the telescope to Hermes, and he looks through it.

“Hmm… yup that’s a god alright but… is Vritra a male or female god?”

“I mean, does it really matter to you?”

“Ha-ha!” he laughed a bit. “Not really! But I do prefer pretty girls over pretty boys.”

‘Greek gods…’

“Then let’s move. The faster we send Vritra off, the quicker we can drink ourselves to sleep! I even found a nice place for us to party, Lord Hermes!” Lydia said with a bright smile.

“Hm.” Cirrus nodded and waved his hand.

Jane and the others nodded across the way and informed the Familia members that were there and left.

“We better hurry along. That distraction won’t last for long.” Said Cirrus, putting away his telescope.

“What is the--!!”

Hermes turned to a building a bit off in the distance. As it exploded into fire, the sound filled the city.

“Let’s go.” Cirrus’s magic circle appeared behind him. “(Exousía, Adorn: Ceryneian).”

 

The operation began, with Jane and the others making a distraction in various parts of the city, allowing Cirrus and his group to easily enter the palace.

“Hey sto-guh!!”

“Why yo-gaa!!”

Since both Cirrus and Lydia were essentially the highest leveled adventurers in the country, it was easy to simply swat away the guards and, of course.

“I-it’s the demon!! Run!!!!!!!!!”

Cirrus’s appearance helped make their way to Vritra far easier.

When they did finally arrive on the west side of the palace, they arrive in an open courtyard where Vritra was simply enjoying a drink.

“I was wondering when you're finally going to come and finish me, little demon.”

His snake-like eyes glared at Cirrus, and he felt a hint of fear in his gaze alone.

“Now, now he was waiting for me.” Hermes stepped in, walking in front of Cirrus. “My name is Hermes.” He took off his hat and gave a polite bow. He looked at Vritra and glared back. His usual warm and orange-colored divinity suddenly had a tinge of red streak across his dominant orange, like his hair.

“Tch… let’s get this over with,” Vritra said as they got up. As they were about to use them, Arcanum Hermes waved his hand and Cirrus jumped in.

Thud!

“What are you doing, child!!” Vritra shouted as Cirrus holds him down.

“I am simply doing as Lord Hermes asked,” Cirrus responded.

“That’s right~ you still need to tell us what you know of your little group!” Hermes said with a snake-like smile.

“And I’m the snake, huh? Well, no matter my fun ended months ago when this child killed my… you know I won’t say anything.” Vritra looked up at Hermes.

“… Well no matter, Zephyr let him go, we still have other legs to break.”

Cirrus lets go, and Vritra glows in a rainbow light.

“I would say it was fun, but I was getting tired of drinking bad wine…your name is Zephyr, right?” Vritra said.

“Hm, that is my name, Lord Vritra.”

“Before I go, can I at least see what is under your mask? Seeing how a child managed to defeat Goh… I would like to see their face?”

“… Very well.”

Cirrus removes his mask and Vritra was a bit shocked as he looked at Hermes.

“My… what great find you got Hermes! To think a child of—"

Just then, a tower of light-struck Vritra from beyond the sky, cutting him off.

Cirrus watched as Vritra’s divinity returns to heaven and he puts on his mask.

‘… Seems he knew who I am from my face… huh, seems I took more after you… mom.’

As Cirrus walked away, Hermes found him even more interesting, but he still couldn’t put his finger on it.

 

After Vritra was sent to heaven, they all returned to the ships and returned to Sorshana. There they enjoyed the festivities but for Cirrus he left for Ukhana with Jane.

Sailing through the desert sands, Cirrus looks out to the sea of sand on the side of the ship.

“…”

‘… Finally, I can return home… ahhh I wanna enjoy some home-cooked meals... but… I think I’ll miss this place.’

Flap!

Flap!

Tap!

‘So we're finally leaving the desert, huh?’ Nox said, perching next to Cirrus.

“Do you feel happy you're finally leaving this place?”

‘… To be honest, I feel a bit sad, since you set me free, I have only seen the horizon over dunes of sand so… this place kind of feels like home a bit.’

“… I can say the same. This has been the longest I’ve been in a place.”

‘Ah right, I remember you telling me about Solingen… hmm, now that I think of it, you have been away from home for nearly 9 months in total. I’m surprised you aren’t homesick?’

“It’s the heat of the desert that helps.”

'The heat?’

Nox turns her head and remembers that there were times when Cirrus simply lay in the sand after practicing his spear and swordsmanship and looking up at the clear sky.

‘Well, maybe I should find something that will bring me comfort.’ She then flips over and perches on Cirrus’s shoulder. ‘Ah! That’s better!’

Cirrus made a warm smile as they looked out into the darkness of the sea of sand.

So I know the whole desert thing didn't last quite as long as I or maybe even you would have liked so I made a side story that is more of an odd anthology of Cirrus' time in the desert, it is rather short. It's called Danmachi Side Story: Under The Night Sky, and it should be up soon if you wish to read it. It's also complete so you can binge it in one sitting.

128