[Vol.4] Quest 316- Rival
548 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Huaxu, the high-end hotel Cirrus' family is staying at.

"That’s everything!" said Artemis.

"This room is huge!" said Callisto, running around.

"It's special! Since your father is very important, they have these rooms when he comes for business or is simply passing by," said Ai.

"Really! Is that why they called him Haku’s last name? Wait, why aren’t I named Kyūjouno as well?"

"Because you are my child," Artemis said, picking Calli up.

"Then do you have a last name, Bow Mom?" Calli asked in her arms.

"Sorry, but gods don’t exactly have last names, so I took your father's."

"Hm…that’s fine! But then, why is he named that and not Zephyr? Also did you, Mom?" She looked to Ai. "Do you not love me enough, so you handed me off to Bow Mom?" She looked back at Artemis.

"That is because he is the firstborn!" said Ai. "And he would be inheriting the Kyūjouno family name. Also, no, I love you very much as my daughter, but I see no problem with Artemis showering you, especially with her love."

"You should be honored," Malion said. "Many would kill to have Artemis’ love."

"So it is an honor, my little moonbeam." Artemis tickled Callisto.

"Heheh—Wait!" Callisto stops giggling. "Inheriting what?" She gets a bit angry. "Can I get it too?" she yelled out in jealousy.

"Probably if your brother doesn’t want it, or maybe if your dad decided he would hand it down to you," Ai said.

"Hand what down!? A name!"

"You will see when we get to Fuyukusa," Artemis said, patting her head. "Until—"

Someone knocked on the door.

Knock!

Knock!

"Hello!! It’s me, Chang’e! I got word that Cirrus wanted to talk!"

Ai opens the door where the moon goddess entered.

"It’s been a while, Chang’e," said Artemis.

"It has been a while, and who is this cute child!" she said, walking up to Calli.

"Cirrus’s daughter, Callisto Zephyr."

"That’s my name!" she said proudly.

"What a beautiful name! My, she looks a bit like…"

She looked at Calli and Artemis, then at Ai, and found she resembled Ai more. The magic tool diverted her gaze to Callisto’s fake white hair and fox ears.

"What brings you here?" asked Malion.

"Oh…Oh? Did he get another wife?" Chang’e then looked at Malion.

"My name is Malion. It is nice to see you, Lady Chang’e. I apologize if I can’t stand up."

"Not at all! So what did Cirrus wish to talk about?"

"On our way here, some bandits tried to rob us," Ai said.

"Ah, yes, well, there were some changes in the military, and some soldiers didn’t wish to join the Engineering Corp, so they went AWOL. So we have been trying to find and arrest them, but... well, it’s a hot topic around the capital."

"Would you want assistance from Fuyukusa?"

"Oh no, that won’t be necessary. It’s our problem, and we will handle it. Oh, that’s right!" She turned to Artemis. "I came here for a personal request to see if you would take a child with you to Yamato for training and education?"

"Hm?" they said, surprised.

"His name is Hou Retsu."

"!!" Ai’s ears immediately perked up. "Hou Retsu?" she asked.

"Yes, he was born to some of my children, and when I saw his eyes, they were filled with fire! So I gave him the name Hou! He is a very talented child."

"Well, where is he? Did you bring him along?"

"…W-well um, I was looking for him when I was informed of Cirrus's wish to talk. So right now, some of my children are out looking for him."

"I’m sure he will be fine. After all, you gave him that name for a reason, right?" said Artemis.

"Oh, very much, yes! He is a very talented martial artist!"

"Do not worry, Lady Chang’e!" Ai said. "I will be sure he gets to Yamato!"

 

At that exact moment.

Thud!!

Swish!!

Thud!!

Swish!!

The two young boys exchanged polished strikes with one another.

"Huff! Huff! Y-your pretty damn tough!" said Haku, bruised.

"Huff! Huff! Hm! You are very skilled! I haven’t felt such a good fight since I beat everyone in the dojo!"

"Then they weren’t that tough!!!" Haku charges in.

"Haaaa!!!!"

Haku swung his wooden sword, and Retsu swung his fist. Retsu easily overpowered Haku, but he easily read Retsu’s movements and deflected him for a strike to the side. Retsu, being the tenacious one, took the hit and slugged Haku in the face.

Whoosh!

Whoosh!

A small, brief blow of wind from their attacks stopped.

They looked at one another for a moment before getting back into their stances. They wished to end it with their best attacks.

"This will be the end," Retsu said.

"I couldn’t agree more!"

They focused intensely on each other. Around them, a small crowd gathered to watch these two talented kids fight it out. There was even some betting going on.

There was a silence between the two, and someone dropped their coin.

Ting!!

"Haaaa!!!!

"Raaaa!!!!"

They came at each other with their fists and swords when—

"What the fuck are you two doing?" Cirrus said.

"!!!"

—They stop before they could hit one another, and they both look to see Cirrus.

"U-um dad, um, we were just um, um—"

"Playing, sir!!" said Retsu.

"Yeah playing!"

The two kids smiled as innocently as they could while hiding their hands and wooden sword behind their backs.

"…" Cirrus looked at the crowd, and they all dispersed. Cirrus turned back to the kids. "You kid, what’s your name?" He glanced at Retsu.

"R-Retsu! Hou Retsu, sir! I’m with the Chang’e Familia!"

"Ah, with her, huh?" Cirrus bends down. "Well, why are you here?"

"I… I wish to head to Yamato and train! I have heard many from the country head there to get your training, sir!"

A smile grows on him. He closes his silver eye and rests his head on his hand.

"Well, how about this? If you can land a hit on me, I’ll take you there. I’ll even convince your guardians of it."

"R-really!" he said with bright eyes.

"Of course, Haku, why don’t you help him out? It’ll be a fun way to pass the time."

Haku also smiled.

"Sure thing!"

"Good! Now huddle together." Cirrus gets them side by side. "(Theïká Panoplía.)"

A beautiful armor wraps around them. It quickly healed the bruises they gave each other.

"Whoa!" they said, amazed as it faded away.

"Now, shall we begin the game?"

"Yes!!!!!" Retsu and Haku shouted as they swung.

Jump!

Within a blink of an eye, Cirrus, still in his bending position, lands on top of the harbormaster’s office.

"Did you think it would be easy?" He stands back up. "You have until sundown." Cirrus then tosses them a bag of money. "Good luck!" he says, then jumps away.

"Say, how strong is your dad?" asked Retsu.

Haku walks up and picks up the bag. He could feel the weight of it.

"Very." A bright smile grows on his face. "This is a challenge!!"

A smile grows on Retsu as well, with eyes full of motivation.

"Yes!! Let us beat him!!"

21