CHAPTER 6 – THE FALCON GOD
153 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wandering north as advised by a kind old lady, Kurou spotted a square-shaped structure in the distance that resembled a temple. The area was bustling with people, so he decided to wait until nightfall to quietly enter the place and explore.

Knife in hand, he was ready to stab to death any fanatic or zealot foolish enough to try their luck with someone they just couldn't kill.

Struggling to find shade, Kurou lay down in a corner on a small patch of grass and drifted into a deep sleep for a few hours, resembling a true vagabond.

When he opened his eyes, it was well past 10 p.m. The place had emptied out, and the temple appeared to be closed. No one seemed to pay him any mind.

As Kurou approached the monument, he realized its grandeur exceeded his expectations. Intricate carvings adorned the walls, depicting pharaohs and their servants, while falcon statues stood guard at the entrance.

The gate seemed strangely modern for an ancient structure, evidently designed to keep visitors outside and collect entrance fees on behalf of their ancestors. The thought disgusted him.

Since the area was deserted, trespassing through the gate was a piece of cake, requiring no second thoughts.

Beyond the gate, he discovered a vast courtyard flanked by imposing columns, leading to another entrance guarded by two falcon statues.

Passing through the second gate, Kurou found himself surrounded by colossal columns, causing his jaw to drop. "I never thought I'd be so impressed again after seeing Ramses' old temple, but this is quite a gem", he muttered to himself.

Each column bore intricate inscriptions, some familiar to even the most ignorant observer, such as the Ankh symbol, while others presented complex hieroglyphs only a scholar could decipher.

As Kurou traversed a lengthy corridor, a chill ran down his spine. He was nearing something monumental and undoubtedly powerful - the inner chamber.

Inside the chamber stood an awe-inspiring structure: a funerary box featuring a falcon head attached to a small boat. Kurou examined the intricacies of the falcon head when a voice resonated in his mind.

"Welcome, Post-Mortal".

"SWEET MOTHER OF GOD! WILL YOU GUYS EVER STOP SCARING ME?", Kurou yelled.

"You won't die from a small jumpscare, Post-Mortal", the falcon statue reverberated.

"How witty of you. Pray tell, who am I talking to right now?".

"I go by many names, but the name most mortals call me is Horus. This is my Temple of Edfu".

"Wait wait wait wait", Kurou interjected, raising a hand. "Horus as in the Egyptian God?".

"Indeed, Post-Mortal".

"And where are you? Why can't I see you?", Kurou asked.

"In your current state, seeing an Egyptian God in their true form is not possible. However, within this place, I can share some wisdom with you, which will prove invaluable for your survival. This statue acts as a mere conduit for our interaction", the falcon statue explained.

"You keep calling me Post-Mortal, just like the old fart Ramses did. It means you probably know I can't die. Why are you giving me tips on how to survive?", Kurou asked.

"Your current state is rather problematic, Post-Mortal. For reasons even I cannot fathom, your heart evaded consumption by Ammit during the judgment", responded the falcon statue.

"Now you lost me. Who's Ammit?"

"Ammit, the Devourer, is the Egyptian entity tasked with consuming the hearts of those deemed unworthy of a peaceful afterlife", Horus explained.

"Oh, that sounds bad", Kurou reminisced. "And what does that have to do with me becoming a Post-Mortal?".

"It appears that your judgment was delayed, Post-Mortal. I'm not suggesting you were granted a second chance at life, mind you. Rather, it seems someone intended for you to escape a restless death, throwing Ammit off-balance and allowing you to evade the Weighing of the Heart, albeit in a state of Post-Mortem", clarified Horus.

I could say it makes sense, but it doesn't", Kurou vented, rubbing his temples. "Here I am talking to a falcon statue that claims to be an Egyptian God, and there's a Devourer entity out there wanting to eat my heart and send me to a restless afterlife".

"Yes, Post-Mortal, that's precisely the case", affirmed the statue.

"And how can I escape this entity? What do I have to do?" Kurou asked, impatient.

"Inpu holds the answers you seek. As for Ammit, it is known as a hybrid monster with the head of a crocodile, the torso and front paws of a lion, and the rear of a hippopotamus. If you encounter such a being, I advise you to run, Post-Mortal. Your undying state will be of no assistance against it", warned Horus.

"GREAT!", Kurou yelled. "Now there's a freaking chimera coming after me!".

"You offend me by bringing Greek myths into my Temple of Edfu, Post-Mortal", Horus remarked sternly.

"Sorry. I understand you are a God and could smite me with a single thought", Kurou said, raising his hands in surrender.

"That's not exactly how it works, but it's better for you to think that way. Do not provoke the Gods out of spite, or it will bring you trouble. I intend to aid you on your journey, provided you do not align yourself with my enemy", Horus cautioned.

"And who might that be?" Kurou inquired.

"Have you never read anything on Ancient Egypt, Post-Mortal? Sutekh is my enemy".

"Yeah yeah, that was written on the history books, but I always thought it was just a myth".

"It was meant to be a myth. However, as you can see, strange phenomena occur in this world, and humans are ill-prepared to confront them. For some peculiar reason, you seem rather composed for someone who has experienced death at least a couple of times. Perhaps that is why you are here", speculated Horus.

"I can't say it wasn't traumatic, but I guess it's better than living the stupid life I had before. You're the real deal, aren't you, Horus? May I call you Horus, actually?", Kurou asked.

"Call me whatever you want, Post-Mortal. What truly matters is what you do from this point forward", Horus replied.

"All right, I think I get it. I'll be careful with the crocodile monster and this Sutekh. Any more wisdom you would like to share with me?", Kurou asked, trying to be funny.

"First of all, don't be a such a prick around important entities. I could call you that in all languages you could possibly imagine, but I chose this one because it fits you best. Second, learn how to use your shadow projection".

"Shadow projection?, Kurou asked, puzzled.

"Remember that moment when an afterimage of your hand projected onwards? That was a shadow projection. If you practice that long enough, you should be able to manipulate that projection".

"Why is it called a shadow projection?", Kurou asked.

"Because it's a mirror image of your own soul. It's translucent, isn't it? Not unlike the apparition of Ramses II, if you recall".

"Now that you mention it, it is quite similar", Kurou admitted, genuinely surprised.

"Shadow manipulation can save your life or end another's - it all depends on your judgment. I'm afraid I won't be able to talk to you in a long time now, Post-Mortal. It has been an interesting experience to interact with someone for a change, even if you are not the finest example of your kind".

"Quite the sharp-tongued, aren't you, Mr. Horus? But it's alright, just being able to talk to an Egyptian God feels too good to be true already. Too bad that I have a monster in my wake, but at least now I know I should prepare. Thanks again, Horus. I hope I can see you again."

"Farewell, Post-Mortal. Treat animals well, and whatever you do, DO NOT anger Inpu".

"Again that 'Inpu'. What's all that fascination with this guy?".

Silence enveloped the inner chamber as a gentle breeze passed through.

Kurou looked around, a little traumatized from his experience at Abu Simbel. "I guess there will be no fanatics this time...I should be going".

Walking towards the exit of the Temple of Edfu, Kurou looked at the stars with a tired expression in his face.

"'Ammit', 'Horus', 'Inpu', 'shadow projection', 'Post-Mortal'...everytime I talk to someone, a goddamn piece of a giant puzzle gets thrown at my face".

3