CHAPTER 9 – GOD AMONGST GODS
115 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Something has been bugging me", Kurou told Tut. "What is it?", Tut answered, narrowing his eyes to avoid the overwhelming sunlight.

"I understand if Ramses' followers come after you. After all, you are a Pharaoh, and he considers you a rival".

Tut nodded in silence.

"But Ramses already knows I'm a Post-Mortal, and he knows his stupid acolytes cannot kill me. Why bother trying?", Kurou asked.

"It's hard to presume Ramses II's intentions, Kurou. But I could list a few situations where he gains an upper hand based on what he knows about you", Tut pondered. "Having his followers ruthlessly killed by a foreigner and making a fuss about it; having a chance at killing me without getting involved personally; giving Ammit a chance to attack you; earning favor from some Gods by chasing a Post-Mortal out of sacred land...".

"I don't think he wants to chase me away", Kurou said. "There's something he wants from me, but I'm not sure if he's trying to get it through the monster or by himself".

"From what I've seen, Ramses II is nothing short of megalomaniacal. He lived a long life and was taught by his father Seti how to fight and to reign over the populace. No wonder he has enormous temples and monuments erected in his own honor", Tut remarked.

"There's only one thing megalomaniacal folks always want", Kurou answered, with a smirk in his face.

"Share thy wisdom with me, brother", Tut replied with a light-hearted smile.

"Immortality", Kurou said, solemnly.

"That makes sense", Tut nodded. "So you think he wants to steal your immortality for himself?".

"Precisely. He's not happy with being a ghost. He wants to come back to life, and live forever - and rule Egypt foverer too", Kurou said.

"That's a bold ambition, even for a Pharaoh", Tut said, rubbing his temples. "But that's also a grave sin; Pharaoh's are supposed to live forever only in the memory of the people who put them on the throne, and to rest beside the Gods after death. They're not supposed to become eternal kings in a world they don't belong anymore".

"That seems paradoxical, coming from you", Kurou said.

"I'm not like Ramses II", Tut frowned. "I was revived by the will of my followers and permission of Amon-Ra, and my mission is clear. I'm not here to conquer anyone nor to live forever".

"All right, I'll hold onto that for now", Kurou said.

As Kurou and his party walked through the streets of Luxor, he could see the TV screens inside the bars and restaurants flashing with images of them fighting against what was described as religious practitioners. The broadcasters were speaking Arabian, it seemed, so neither one of them understood a word.

"So, I can see we're on the news".

"What is that language I'm hearing from those strange devices?", Tut asked. "It reminds me of...Persian?".

"It probably is Arabian", Kurou answered. "We should better not try to understand what they're saying, should your guesses be on the spot. They're probably ruining our reputations".

"As if you had one to being with!", Tut laughed out loud.

"Good thing that you can laugh like that after almost having yourself killed!", Kurou answered bluntly. Tut went serious. "Yes, you're right. We have no time to waste. Let's get to the temple of Karnak, quickly. You're in for a treat when we get there!".

"Why does it feel like you just planted a death flag...", Kurou mumbled.

"What did you say?", Tut asked.

"Nothing. Look, sandstone paradise", Kurou said in a bored tone, pointing towards a massive structure.

"Don't badmouth the temple of Amon-Ra", Tut scolded Kurou.

"Okay, now listen", Kurou said to Riddle and Tut, raising a finger. "We're about to enter an Egyptian temple complex in the middle of the day, right? We should avoid being the center of attention, for a change".

"You're the red-eyed dead-face here", Tut said, amused, much to Kurou's chagrin. "Let's go, mix in with the crowd and you're good", the young Pharaoh said.

They went through the gigantic complex that Karnak turned out to be. It was heavily crowded and for good reason, since it's one of the most visited places by tourists from around the world. Enormous pylons, obelisks and pillars towered over them, impressing even an uninterested fellow such as Kurou. Tut walked through the monuments proudly, as if all that surreal architecture belonged to him. His eyes glowed silver for a moment, but he snapped out of it before anyone could see.

"Our destination is the Precint of Amon-Ra", Tut said, almost whispering. "Come, I'll lead the way".

They went through the mass of people only to find that Riddle was missing. Kurou stopped and called for him, to no avail. He was nowhere to be found.

"Dammit! Bloody hell! Where has that furry face gone?", Kurou said, irritated.

"Don't worry", Tut said. "He can take care of himself. Let's keep going".

As they browsed through the halls, Tut saw structures that didn't exist back in his time, while others were different.

"This place seems...usurped. Someone desecrated my inscriptions for their own benefit". His eyes glowed silver again. "Ramses!", he exclaimed in anger.

"Calm down, buddy, remember not to attract attention...", Kurou said.

"You're right. Let's move on. Time to show you why we're here", Tut said. "There's a sanctuary over there, can you see it?", Tut pointed towards a very tall obelisk. "Beyond the obelisk of Hatshepsut, we will find a sacred sanctuary where the statue of Amon should be".

"Huuh...Tut", Kurou said, trying to be careful with his words. "I don't think the statue will be there, you know".

"What do you mean?", Tut asked. "What happened to the statue?".

"It's probably hanging around in a museum or something", Kurou said.

"I'm not sure I follow", Tut said, increasingly annoyed.

"I don't think there's a word for museum in Ancient Egyptian. Let's just say some valuable pieces have been taken from their original places and put on display in public places where they would be secured from thieves and smugglers", Kurou said.

"That sounds like a good thing in terms of conservation, but it's also a desecration of these sacred places", Tut said, startled. "Many of those monuments are royal tombs".

"I know, I know", Kurou said, impatiently. "That's how people are, you know? We desecrate things".

"I want to see the Sacred Lake", Tut said, irritated, and walked towards it like he knew the place with his eyes shut.

The lake was a beautiful square area filled with freshwater. That was the place where priests purified themselves before performing rituals. Tut touched the water and it started moving a little, like it was boiling softly.

"It's good to see this lake purified by the hand of Amon-Ra. It will help us with the next step", Tut said.

"Next step? Aren't we done here?", Kurou asked.

"We have just begun, brother", Tut remarked. "Come on!".

They walked toward the sacred sanctuary, and pretented to be tourists until the place was empty. Tut pressed a slab at a certain point on the wall, revealing a pitfall.

"Let's go, Kurou! Stop wasting time!", Tut rushed.

"For f...sake", Kurou said, holding his tongue. "Don't get me killed now, okay?", he said, and they went down the pitfall, which closed as soon as they got down.

Kurou felt lucky that he could see in the dark, since there was absolutely no source of light in that impossibly hidden chamber. There was nothing going on in that place, except for some big spider webs, scarabs and other small creatures. Tut's behaviour changed completely now that they were there. His eyes once again glowed, and he spoke in a very serious and solemn tone.

"Welcome to my real sanctuary, Post-Mortal", Tut said in a powerful voice.

"Tut? Tutankhamon, is that you?", Kurou asked.

"This young man has lent me his body as a vessel so I could interact directly with you, Post-Mortal. I am Amon-Ra".

"GREAT. Another God to the list", Kurou said.

"You seem to find everything humorous, Post-Mortal", the entity said.

"I don't have much left, Amon-Ra", Kurou said, contemptuously.

"You also don't show any respect or fear towards the Gods".

"What's going to happen if I do? I've been a push-over, a weakling, a good-for-nothing for my entire life. Now that I've got a second chance, I'm gonna seize it. If the Gods want to kill me, you gotta do it the dirty way", Kurou said, defiantly.

"A fine display of courage mixed with ignorance", Amon-Ra declared. "But there are things worse than death, Post-Mortal."

"I've been told that before. I know I should probably be scared, but honestly I'm not".

"I stand at the top even among the Gods, Kurou. Scared or not, you must realize who you're talking to. It's really impressive that you don't feel the need to kneel before me, even though I'm powerful enough to bring this whole country to the ground with a wave of my hand", Amon-Ra said, proudly.

"I won't submit, not even to you", Kurou said. "I want answers. I want to know why I survived the airplane crash, and why Ramses II is after me. I want to know why my fate depends on Inpu, and also why Tutankhamon there was revived through some sort of unbelievable ritual".

"Some answers I can give you. But the reason why this vessel was revived is not of yours, or any other mortal's concern. I have plans for him - he is a loyal subject. If you try to harm or fool him, I'll strike fiercely upon you, and the results will not be pleasant for you. But if you choose the wise path, then you'll be a friend to him and I'll make your life a little easier", Amon-Ra said.

"And how do you plan on doing that?", Kurou asked.

"You're in a state between states. Not dead nor alive. The reason for that is obvious to me: Ma'at favors you. But it's not because you're special. You're not. It's just that something had to be done in order to prevent damage beyond repair from taking place in Egypt. Not all entities can manifest as proficiently as I can, but some of them can bring harm even in their shadow states", Amon-Ra said.

"Shadow states...so the form Ramses II took at that time is called a "shadow state"', Kurou murmured.

"Precisely, Post-Mortal".

"And what kind of damage can be done? Who's behind all this?", Kurou asked.

"I don't think you would understand if I told you the whole truth", Amon-Ra said. "Let's just say there's a dead man trying to come back to life, and also a God trying to assume physical form. That God is a dangerous entity, and that man is willing to do whatever it takes to return to life. That's a very hazardous combination".

"That man is Ramses II, I presume. But I don't know what God you're talking about. Is that Inpu?", Kurou asked.

Tut's expression, now the Egyptian God's, frowned showing disapproval. "Inpu has nothing to do with that. First of all, let me clear something out for you. Inpu is the Ancient Egyptian name for Anubis. You are probably more used to that name. He is the God responsible for taking the dead where they belong. You were taken away from his hands from a higher power. He is neither your friend, nor foe", Amon-Ra said.

"Then why Ramses II said my fate rests with Inpu, or Anubis, whatever?", Kurou said.

"Because your heart is heavy, Post-Mortal", Amon-Ra said, gravely. "Too heavy compared to an ostrich's feather. It's unacceptable for the God of the Dead that someone like you should escape judgment".

"So why isn't Anubis, or Inpu, coming after me?".

"Because there already is an entity in charge of doing that", Amon-Ra said.

"Ammit."

"Yes. And it will follow you anywhere in the world. The only way to escape from its grasp definitely is to either kill it, or to attend the Weighing of the Heart for real. But you probably won't be able to do that until Ma'at has made full use of you", Amon-Ra explained.

"You talk like I'm just a tool for the Gods to use", Kurou said, annoyed.

"The Gods are tools for the mortals to use as well", Amon-Ra said. "They pray for the rain to come, for ilnesses to heal, for their enemies to perish. What's the difference?".

"You choose when to answer; that's the difference", Kurou said, defiant as always.

"You have that choice in your hands as well, Post-Mortal. Someone will try to spread chaos throughout Egypt and maybe even beyond, and you are a central piece on this board. You'll have to stand up against Gods, just like you stood up to me, but you'll be risking everything you have instead of provoking a little bantering", Amon-Ra said.

"Anything to alleviate my boredom will be enough, Amon-Ra", Kurou said, tired of talking so much. "I don't have much to lose, you know? I just want to ask you to please send me back to the other side of the river. I don't want to see that crocodile face anytime soon".

"Asking for favors already", Amon-Ra mused. "You're not that different from any mortal, after all".

"I saved your favourite Pharaoh's life, so you owe me one, you know?", Kurou said with a grin.

"Fair enough. I really appreciate what you did back there".

"I won't think twice if I have to kill someone. And Tut has been a good friend to me", Kurou said.

"I understand. Speaking about protégées, someone is waiting for you at the entrance", Amon-Ra said, pointing at Riddle.

Kurou looked back at the intelligent jackal, yelling at him for having disappeared without notice. The jackal answered with a high-pitched howl that felt like a curse word. When he returned his gaze to Amon-Ra, the presence of the God had already been gone, leaving only Tutankhamon's confused expression behind. He felt a little dizzy and couldn't see anything in the dark, so Kurou helped him sit on a stone for a while.

"Kurou, is that you? What happened? I don't remember anything after we went down here".

"You probably wouldn't believe if I told you, buddy", Kurou said. "But I think I talked to Amon-Ra".

"You talked to HIM?", Tut asked loudly.

"Shhhh, yeah I did!", Kurou said.

"What was he like? Did he put you in your place? Did he threaten to smite you had you opened your dirty mouth to blabber on how you hate the world and everything?", Tut asked.

"Almost like that", Kurou said, disappointed at Tut's image of him. "He gave me some insights on what's going on in this country, but also caused another series of questions to arise in my head. I don't think this is going well, or if it will ever end".

"Oh, it will end, for better or worse", Tut said. "I don't know if Amon-Ra left this lingering feeling in my brain or what, but I feel like there's somewhere we really need to go next".

"Please don't say the Nile River".

"We'll have to cross the Nile River alright. But Amon-Ra provided me with the inspiration we need", Tut said, quite cheerful. "Let's go outside. I need some light and chalk".

As Tut pressed a slab in order to reopen the passage, Kurou realized how lucky they were that noone saw them leaving it. As quickly as he possibly could, Tut found an empty spot and picked up some black chalk from the ground.

"Let me just draw a circle here...", he mumbled. Along with the circle, Tut drew a few images of ankhs, scepters, crowns, scales and other figures. Then he asked Kurou and Riddle to stand beside him, and uttered the following words, in perfect Ancient Egyptian:

"The will of Amon-Ra is supreme and clear is the path that He leaves".

A bright light surrounded the three of them, and in a flash, they appeared in the desert, near the Valley of the Kings again.

"Did we just teleport?", Kurou asked.

"That's the power of Amon-Ra", Tut said proudly. "It's not a coincidence that we are here. There's someone He wants us to meet. That person, my friend, is none other than Hatshepsut".

2