CHAPTER 14 – POWER
68 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
Hi everyone! I know this chapter is short although more than a week has passed since the last one. I apologize for that, but I promise some quality stuff for the next chapters. Thanks for your patience and for reading this novel!

Kurou jolted awake as Riddle's sharp teeth dug into his arm, pulling him from his slumber.

"OUCH! Is this how you treat your friend? Come on...just because you're a god's avatar it doesn't mean you get to mistreat me like that, you know?", he groaned, wincing at the canine’s roughness.

Riddle replied with a high-pitched bark. Kurou interpreted that as a call to action and got up on his feet.

"Alrighty then, snouty", he told Riddle. "The only hitch is that I don't have a flying idea where Abydos is".

The jackal's ears pointed up and he looked out as a woman came running towards them. She was a pretty, brown-skinned, short-haired young woman, dressed in plain clothing. She looked frightened.

"You!", she gasped, breathless. "You are the Post-Mortal, aren't you?", she asked Kurou.

"I go by many names", Kurou said with a ridiculous low-pitched voice. "But you can call me Doctor".

"What? What are you talking about? I need to talk to the Post-Mortal. Just answer me, are you him or not?", the woman said, flustered.

"If I tell you I'm not, it will probably bring me trouble in the future. If I tell you I am, YOU will cause me trouble right now. I really don't like those odds", he said, crossing his arms.

"I knew it was a waste of time. You're just a useless coward, like the rest of them", the woman huffed, frustrated.

Kurou suddenly seized her by the throat, lifting her frail body and causing her legs to flail in the air. "Mind your manners, little girl”, he growled. "That's not how you treat someone you're asking help from".

He released her and she coughed loudly, breathing heavily. Passersby cast disapproving glances their way, causing Kurou to feel uncomfortable, but he remained unapologetic. Riddle, however, retreated into the shadows, uninterested in the attention.

"You're speaking Ancient Egyptian," Kurou remarked, eyeing her curiously. "Who are you?".

"Ankhesenamon," she replied curtly, her breath still ragged, her gaze sharp.

 "So that's how it is", Kurou nodded, knowingly. "You're Tut's girlfriend".

"I'm Tutankhamon's wife and the Queen of this land”, she corrected him. “You'll regret this violence against me, Post-Mortal", she added, enraged.

"You royalty are such a bunch of pampered, self-indulgent, arrogant brats", Kurou said. "Now I'm a coward because I'm not submitting to your will?".

"This isn't about me, it's about Tutankhamon", she said, impatient.

"What about him?"

"He's in danger. I can feel it", she said. Kurou raised an eyebrow.

"And why do you come to me?”, he asked. “He's a Pharaoh, and I'm just some guy. Also, he was the one who decided to part ways, so I'm barely responsible for whatever happens to him. I might have killed his step-mother, but she tried to kill me first, so I guess it was self-defense", he mulled over.

"YOU DID WHAT?", Ankhesenamon exclaimed, horrified.

Kurou sighed.

"Never mind. Where is he now?", he asked.

I don't know!", Ankhesenamon admitted.

"GREAT HELP!", Kurou scoffed.

"I know", a male voice chimed in.

"Parennefer?", Ankhesenamon gasped, troubled.

"It is I, Princess," Parennefer confirmed.

"What are you doing here? How come you are alive?", she asked.

"The time will come when all your questions will be answered, Princess”, Parennefer replied cryptically. “But, for now, I need to know where the Queen Nefertiti is, if you happen to know", he said.

"Nefertiti sleeps with the fishes", Kurou replied maliciously. "Who are you, old man?", he asked.

"I'm just a humble butler in search of a simple answer", Parennefer replied.

"I don't work with simple answers and I don't like butlers, Parennefer", Kurou retorted. "And what's up with those names? You guys are weird", he added, pointing a finger at the dignified butler.

"Look at yourself before saying that about an Egyptian", Ankhesenamon admonished.

"I'm not going to fall into the trap of losing my temper with you, young man. I know you're quite...resilient and trying to kill you would be a waste of time", Parennefer said.

"THANK YOU", Kurou exclaimed, extending his arms. "At least someone who's slightly less stupid than the others".

Parennefer frowned at Kurou's provocation. "It's easy to offend others when you are immortal, don't you agree?", Parennefer asked, rhetorically. "But I'm not here to argue. Instead, I offer you the answer you seek the most: I know Tutankhamon's location".

"Then tell us, Parennefer!", Ankhesenamon said, frustrated.

"I will, Princess, but first that man has to come with me to see the King Akhenaton", Parennefer said.

"A shameless bluff, I see", Kurou said. "Look, I don't need someone's butler to get my problems straightened out".

"Oh, but you do. In a fight against the false gods of Egypt, only the true God of this land can help you prevail", Parennefer said, dignified.

"The gods of this land disturb my peace more than anything else, old man. I can assure you I don't need their help", Kurou said.

"And how do you intend to defeat Sutekh, Ammit and Ramses without help?", Parennefer asked with a triumphant face.

"You're well informed for a butler", Kurou said, expressionless.

"My master is a notable figure, and our interests align with yours. Furthermore, I cannot allow the Princess to come to harm, as she is Tutankhamon's wife," Parennefer stated.

"Is your boss that nuthead of a pharaoh? The one who tried to erase everything?”, Kurou asked dismissively. “Cause I've already had my share of crazy people in this country".

"You foul-mouthed undead! You are coming with me whether you want it or not!", Parennefer declared, grabbing Ankhesenamon and pointing a gun at her head. "Do it or I will kill her!". Kurou couldn’t help laughing at the scene.

"Now that's a good one. Aren't you supposed to protect the Princess, royal butler? And now you're using her as a bargaining chip like I give a rat's ass about it? I don't even know that woman, for fuck's sake. For all that I care, you can all die together".

"You're insane," Parennefer muttered.

"Insane, huh? I'm talking to a mummy's butler. Everyone here should be long dead, including myself. There are evil gods trying the destroy the world. There are people being raped in every goddamn corner of this fuckin' place. And the beer here sucks! What did you expect?", Kurou ranted, agitated.

"Fair enough", Parennefer conceded, and released Ankhesenamun. "I have made up my mind. I'll take you there".

"No you won't!", Kurou interjected.

"You have no option, hell reject. You may be immortal, but you're not strong enough to kill me as well. I'm coming along whether you want me to or not", Parennefer declared, categorically.

Kurou fell silent for a moment. He looked at Ankhesenamon, who nodded vigorously. He thought of running for a second but quicky gave up on the idea as it would cause a ruckus.

"Ok then", Kurou sighed. "But if I get even the slightest hint that you're trying to fool us, my friend here will make a snack out of your guts, got it? Come on out, Riddle". The jackal jumped from a shadow like it came out of nowhere, snarled at Parennefer but ultimately settled down beside Kurou.

 ***

Tut awoke with another headache, but instead of sitting on a chair, he was lying on a table, his wrists and ankles bound.

"Somebody is going to pay dearly for this. The Gods won't tolerate such treatment of Amon's child," he muttered, his voice filled with defiance.

“And what exactly will the price be, boy?”, a man sneered, entering the room with a sinister grin.

“Ramses!”, Tut exclaimed.

"What an honor! The world's most famous Pharaoh recognizes me", Ramses taunted.

Tutankhamon's eyes narrowed. "I didn't know you had red hair. Are you really Egyptian?", he asked, his tone a mix of curiosity and disdain.

Ramses' expression darkened. "And what does the son of a heretic have to say about my hair color? Are you the living image of Amon-Ra by any chance, Tutankhamon?".

"I am but a tool of the gods, a vessel to bring peace and prosperity to this land", Tutankhamon retorted, his tone resolute. "But it seems you have different plans".

"I am the embodiment of peace and prosperity, boy, and I mean that quite literally", Ramses boasted, examining his own hands with pride.

"I see you have managed to bring yourself back to life. There's only one god I can think of that would be insane enough to commit such a crime", Tut said, displeased.

"Wash your mouth before insulting Sutekh, Tutankhamon. You might not live long enough to finish your sentence", Ramses threatened.

Tutankhamon sighed. "What do you want from me? Why am I here?".

"You are my guest, Tutankhamon!", Ramses replied sarcastically. "It's rude to question your host."

"Skip the frivolities, Ramses", Tutankhamon demanded. "I'm sick of this ill-natured banter”.

Ramses relented. "You make a valid point, for once. Let's proceed with the ritual. Bakenkhonsu, commence the incantation".

"That man!" Tutankhamon exclaimed, recognizing Bakenkhonsu. "He slaughtered all those people!".

"Bakenkhonsu is a loyal servant", Ramses stated. “He does what must be done".

Tutankhamon couldn't help but retort. "No point in being loyal if this country is destroyed".

Bakenkhonsu smirked. "Do you have any servants, young man? Because I don't see anyone coming for your rescue".

"Tutankhamon has something better than servants", a female voice chimed in.

"Maatkare", Ramses growled.

"How disgraceful", Hatshepsut scoffed. "Ramses, are you planning to siphon a young Pharaoh's life force to resurrect a fallen god?”.

Ramses grinned. "It would be the highest honor this useless boy could ever aspire to in his entire pitiful existence."

"You lunatic!", Tutankhamon cried. "You've forsaken Amon-Ra!".

“I’m just tired of all this mediocrity”, Ramses declared. “Egypt was once one of the most powerful countries in the world, a military powerhouse, feared by all. Now look at what we have become. A museum of a country! A nation that lives off the legacies of the long-dead".

"Times change, Ramses", Hatshepsut reasoned. "You had your era, and it was long indeed. This land is no longer yours to rule."

"Times may change, Maatkare", Ramses retorted, "But one thing remains constant: power. Power is still the means by which anything can be accomplished. With enough power, this country will be mine to rule, no matter what you or anyone else says”.

“That’s reason enough for me to stop you from amassing such power”, Hatshepsut declared, clenching her right fist. “Even if I have to punch that idea out of your damn mind!”.

2