Chapter 4 – Spirits and non-alcoholic drinks
147 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello, dear readers!

 

Here is the chapter 4 of this novel. I hope you'll enjoy it! ;)

 

Patreon announcement : If you feel like helping me sustain the pace of release for this novel, you can visit my patreon page and donate a bit of money. The first Tier starts at 1€ (Around 1.1$). From the second tier (2€ ) and up, there are advance chapters available for both of my novels. For example, Tiers 2 gives you access to 1 advance chapter for each novel. (There are two chapters available for my other novel, and two for this one. I'll keep adding more. Also, I usually post the chapters 1 day earlier than the regular free posts. Just saying.)

 

May you all reach Immortality and the Peak of Cultivation!

Calm Wanderer

 

 

********************************************

 

 

Wanderer's Realm, somewhere...
 
 
I honestly felt great at being able to teach someone who I saw as a god. Very refreshing for my ego. Especially after being seen as a weak barbarian since I met her. Anyway... “So, the third one is spirit. This one is tricky since the alcohol content can vary greatly depending on the beverage. Moonshine can reach 80% alcohol or more for example. While most spirit sold in bars only reach 45% alcohol maximum. It's mostly to protect people, since the stronger the spirit, the worse the effect it has on someone's health. Especially at high frequency of consumption. Anyway, I want us to follow those guidelines, since I don't want our bar to become a drunkard's hole. Classy but not uptight. Also warm and comfortable. That's what I envision. Anyway, I think we can stay with the classics for the spirits: Whiskey, Vodka and Rum. Do you think that everything I said is possible?”
 
 
[Sure. Let's talk about the rest now.]
 
 
“Okay.” I said while taking a few seconds to order my thoughts.
 
 
“So, next would be the non-alcoholic drinks. Mmmhh... I think your previous ideas about fruit juices and soda can be used. We could even combine the two by making 'bubbly' and 'non-bubbly' fruit juices. That way it would be better in taste than normal soda since we would use natural flavors. Of course, sugar from fruits is still sugar, but the ingredients would be a lot better, so the customers can't complain about it. Oh by the way, does it even matter for cultivators? I mean sugar and alcohol intake. Do obese cultivators even exist, for example?” I asked, curious. I was imagining an obese cultivator who, while he was destroying a continent, died from a heart attack because he exerted himself too much. What can I say? I have a vivid imagination.
 
[There are, actually. Although it also depends on what you call obese. After all, as your power grows, so does your weight. And at one point it can reach a VERY high number. But if you are only talking about obese looking, then the reason why they exist is the same as on Earth. Too much energy intake for a body that is not capable of dealing with it. However, the higher the cultivation the rarer the case. At that point it would mostly be due to the use of some skills that helped store that energy to be used later.] That surprised me a bit. I always wondered how there could be a fat guy who was friend with the main character of cultivation novels. After all, wasn't cultivation use to improve the body? That flaw should have been corrected quickly.
 
“Alright, then we shouldn't care too much about those two then.” I said, feeling that it would be simpler this way. [Actually, you are wrong. Mostly about the alcohol part. As the Level of the ingredients used will be different depending on the customers' own Level, it means that the effect should be roughly the same however strong they are.] So I had to rethink my strategy... There was also one thing that puzzled me. “Now that you're talking about about the ingredients, I was wondering about something. Will those drinks have magical effects?”
 
I knew I should have asked that question earlier, but with my excited mood, I completely forgot. 'Shit happens, bro' as the kids said. [Of course! Do you think that a Mortal Bar could attract high Level Cultivators enough to make it the best in the Multiverse? That would be preposterous.] “Alright, alright. No need to use big words. So what kind of effects would there be?” I asked, intrigued. [They would be mostly related to cultivation, obviously. For example, increasing it, refining the body, calming the mind, etc.]
 
“That sound extremely interesting...” I said while adding that factor in my plans. Many ideas came to my mind, but I had to verify a few things first. “I have another question.” [Go ahead.] “Let's say you want the effect to boost one's cultivation Level. Could you reproduce that effect with multiple formulas?” [Yes. But, could you be more precise in your question?] “Right, sorry. The reason I asked that, is because I had an idea, but I don't know if it's possible. Let me explain.” I gathered my thoughts for a few seconds before continuing in a serious but clear tone that even surprised myself.
 
“I understand that everyone have different tastes. That means that it would be best if we could have different drinks with the same effects. The best would be one effect for the four different types of beverages we would offer, which are 'No alcohol', 'Slight alcohol', 'Mid alcohol' and 'Strong alcohol'. That way, we would be able to fulfill everyone's needs. Of course, if some effects are not possible in every categories, then it doesn't matter.”
 
[Most should be possible. Since there would be a lot of similarities with Alchemy, then I would only need to tweak the different formulas that already exist to adapt them to beverages. And improve them too, since we have a reputation to uphold and we can not afford to tarnish it with bad quality products.] I could feel the pride in her voice. A smile appeared on my face at how cute Ali sounded, unlike her all powerful Deity persona at the beginning. It was reassuring to know that she still had her emotions, since it would mean that I would not lose my humanity even if I cultivated to a high level. Although, she could be an exception compared to other cultivators, at least I knew it was possible.
 
I understood that this thought may have come from nowhere, but the idea of becoming an unfeeling machine after millions of years of existence due to the erosion of my emotions, frightened me more than I liked to admit. Sure, having an unlimited lifespan sounded good on paper, but in reality, if you lost everything that made the current you, you, then what would be the point of becoming an almighty cultivator? I'm probably overreaching myself, since I hadn't even started cultivating, but I was someone who tended to overthink everything all the time. To my detriment most of the time, unfortunately. Think positive, Lucas! At least, I won't have to practice a devil cultivation scripture where I would have to sacrifice babies to improve... God, I really hope not!
 
I was torn from my internal imagination depicting one hellish possibility after another by the somewhat impatient voice of Ali. When I realized that I lost my self again in my internal fears, I could not help but blame myself for wasting her time with what I considered my stupid internal problems. Breathe, Lucas. Breathe. When I calmed down enough, I could feel my figurative armor come back into place, and a smile of embarrassment appeared on my face. “Sorry, I tend to often get lost in my mind. I'll do my best to correct that flaw.” I was a bit afraid that she would blame me, but I was surprised by her answer.
 
[Do not worry about it. You should take care of yourself though.] I did not understand why she told me that, until I felt myself. I could feel the sweat sticking on my body from what apparently was a small panic attack. Perfect! Thankfully for me and my ego, I felt a slight blur, and the sweat disappeared and Avada kedavra! (I feel there is something wrong somewhere) I was clean again. Very useful ability, I have to admit. “Thank you.” Not only for the cleaning...
 
 
I slapped myself a few times to focus my mind and said, in a voice that regained his calm. “About the non alcoholic drinks, I was thinking about adding coffee and tea. The two having the upsides of their Earth counterparts without their downsides. So, the former would be used to boost one's body into an optimal state and the latter would have the effect of calming the mind to make it reach an optimal state as well. If we start with Earthlings as the first customers, it would help acclimatize them to the different products quicker. And it would make those same products well known in the Multiverse. Although the latter doesn't matter much to me, it's something, I guess...”
 
 
[Actually, most of the beverages that you have on Earth are already known in the Multiverse. Some more than others.] I was thankful that she did not comment on my previous state, instead choosing to follow my 'hint'. That aside, her answer puzzled me slightly for the umpteenth time of the day which prompted me, being ever curious, to ask her another question. I know that curiosity is supposed to kill the cat, but as a human, I should be safe. “How low would the odds be for it to happen? I'm guessing that it would be so low that it would be the same as using impossible to define it, right?” As each planet should be different, there should not be two planets with the same 'parameters' as Earth which ended up making the same beverages. Unless I'm missing something.
 
 
[Think about it. From what I gathered, Earth's human race should be less than 400,000 years old, correct?] I nodded. “From what I've read on wikipedia, at least. But I don't know if that's the truth.” [For the sake of argument, let us say that is the truth. In front of a Divine Layer Cultivator, you would be considered a baby race. And in the entire Multiverse, you would not even be considered a proper race since you are all too young and weak. You would be treated the same as bacteria for Earthlings. Now, imagine all the different races that lived for uncountable amounts of time coupled with the exchanges of products and knowledge between them. Do you really think that in all that time, there would be no one capable of inventing the techniques needed to make similar beverages that your young race made in a few thousand years? You would be overestimating your race and underestimating others. Be careful not to let arrogance cloud your judgement, Lucas.]
 
 
Her explanation felt like an explosion in my mind. I, Lucas, was a simple Mortal without any cultivation from a small, weak and young human race. I should be aware that the 'common sense' I integrated in my mind after 30 years of living on this planet had a high chance of not being applicable on the Multiverse scale, even after having read those cultivation novels. After all, novels are novels and real life is real life. Even if the former has some truths in them, it was still fiction. Of course, my assumption was only about what could be considered as something inconsequential, but if I kept that habit, it would probably lend me into trouble one day. Sigh, that's why having a spirit grandma guiding you was the best for your path of cultivation. Less risk of making stupid mistakes. Also, don't tell her that I called her grandma or I would probably lose a layer of skin. *Wink**Wink*
 
 
As I felt my mind expand from our discussion, I replied. “Right, no arrogance and no expectation. My new life motto. I'll probably need you to remind me when I do stupid stuff, though. Of course, you don't have to be too viole...” *Twonk* “Fuck! Why did you have to hit me that hard! I said not to be too violent about it, god damn it woman!” I touched my head with my right hand, foolishly hoping that it would not swell. However, when I touched the place that was hit, I could feel a bump growing. Fucking perfect!
 
 
[You did not finish your sentence, so I was not certain of how much of a reminder you wanted.] Her fake tone full of schadenfreude pissed me off even more and made me want to hit her back in return to avenge my innocent balding head. There was one fucking problem though. How did you hit a fucking fog? Would she even feel it? Fuck me! Fine! I'd just be the bigger person and ignore what she'd just done.
 
 
Putting my hand on my forehead, I told her. “Although, I don't believe you even for a second, I won't bicker with you.” Although I probably looked ridiculous with a red bump on my head when I acted in such a mature manner, I'd just resume the serious discussion we had previously. After all, I did not want to risk getting hit again. Call it cowardice if you want, I don't care. If you were in my shoes you would do the same. Unless you're a masochist, but then that's another problem...
 
“Anyway, let's go back to the products we want to sell. So, we're done with the beverages, as far as I know. The only thing left would be the food which go with them. I don't think we should go too far on this one, since it won't be our focus anyway. Also, I don't think it would be wise for the effects of the food to be too potent. Otherwise, people would come to our bar for the food and not the drinks. Definitely not worth it since I don't want to take care of a restaurant.” I've never been fond of cooking, which was weird since both of my siblings and my mom liked it. I probably took that from my dad, BUT, it's important to note that it was not that I couldn't do it. I just didn't like doing it. I knew it sounded like an excuse, but it was true. Believe me or not, I don't care....*Pout*
 
 
[Noted. So do I just adapt the simple food that can often be found in bars on Earth? Maybe with ingredients that would mostly be there to supplement the the different effects and tastes of the drinks we will propose? What do you say?] I nodded to her proposition since that was mostly in line with what I wanted from our establishment.
 
 
[Alright, then. We are done with the products. As for the services, they are not something that are available for you yet.] Her last sentence startled me but also tickled my curiosity. “Does that mean that there will be upgrades and the like in the future?” [Yes. For example, the bar is currently an Ungraded bar. That means that you are stuck to Earth, an Ungraded planet, for clients and for yourself, until it Grades up. There will be new perks available at that time, however, I will not give you more details. Work hard, manager!]
 
 
That made me roll my eyes in her direction, but I didn't insist since I would learn everything in the future anyway. Instead, I asked. “Since we're done with the products, for now, what should we take care of next?” [We can talk about the bar's layout, if you will.] “Yes I will! *Cough* I mean, yes I want to!” I started to figuratively roll up my sleeves in anticipation.
 
 
 
*********************************************
 
 

Patreon announcement : If you feel like helping me sustain the pace of release for this novel, you can visit my patreon page and donate a bit of money. The first Tier starts at 1€ (Around 1.1$). From the second tier (2€ ) and up, there are advance chapters available for both of my novels. For example, Tiers 2 gives you access to 1 advance chapter for each novel. (There are two chapters available for my other novel, and two for this one. I'll keep adding more. Also, I usually post the chapters 1 day earlier than the regular free posts. Just saying.)

 

If you enjoyed the chapter, don't hesitate to comment! ;)

Also, if you like the novel, and if you feel like it, you can also leave good reviews, ratings, click on follow and/or favorite (I feel like a youtuber now^^). It can make a big difference in visibility. Thanks a lot for those who have already done it!

Also, every constructive criticisms will be taken into consideration if I find them relevant.

5