Rose: Demon Encounter
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"That was great, Thanks Rin!" I said as I finished eating dinner.

"Y-yeah, no problem!" He beamed a smile at me.

"Okay everyone, listen up, I'mgoing to explain the drill."

"Yeah, It's a test of courage I tell ya!" Kirigakure said drunkenly.

"You really shouldn't be drinking on the job..." Yukio said somewhat annoyed.

"Wait, she told us she's 18, so isn't she a minor?" Suguro asked confused.

"Are you kidding? this month she'll be turning twenty-s-" 

*Thunk*

"Oopsies, my hand slipped." She said with a laugh.

"Cut the crap and get serious already!" Yukio growled.

"Ooh, I made him mad!" She cheered as we all watched in concern.

"Anyways... Here's the rundown. We're going to have you spread out to find and then light some lanterns that are hidden somewhere in this forest." Yukio explained.

I yawned tiredly, already knowing all of this helped, and I could just teleport myself to the lanterns immediately. But for appearances sake I would still have to listen and participate normally to keep on the down low.

"The lanterns are located within a 500 meter radius of the camp. Whoever can keep their lantern lit and return it to base camp in the next three days will be eligible to go on actual combat missions."

This caught everyone's attention minus my own as I closed my eyes to search the area using my newest skill, dimensional awareness.

I could just go to a lantern that I already knew the location of, but that may alter the plot. So I would need to find one that isn't found in the anime's original storyline.

Opening my eyes, I had found one and focused back on my surroundings.

"However, there are only four lanterns out there. Therefore, only four slots open to go on missions. Now, let's talk about the contents of your shoulder bags."

We all opened our bags and looked over their contents.

"You'll find three days worth of food, water and other necessities. You'll also find a compass, flashlight, one demon repelling bottle rocket, and one match."

"Sounds like I'll have to do rationing and use things wisely this time around..." I muttered to myself as I looked over my own contents which varied only in the fact that I had no matches.

"The reason for limited resources is for you to focus on using your strengths and using your abilities to their fullest." Yukio finished with a smile.

"So all we have to do is find a lantern, light it, and bring it back?" Rin asked.

"Don't think this will be too easy Rin. There are demons here after all. And, if I'm here, it's likely I may have lured out some stronger ones due to my abilities." I whispered the last half to him causing him to nod in understanding. 

"Alright, Hey Rin,  come here for a second!" I yelled as I ran over to him.

"Take this with you. I know what she told you, so this should help with the battle aspect of this test." I said holding out a sword.

"Yeah, thanks Zara. Good luck out there." He said with a grateful smile.

"No need for luck, we already know I've planned ahead of time." I said with a smirk before running off into the forest after hearing the gunshot from Yukio.


Casting a holy barrier around myself, the bug demons dissolved upon impact. leaving me free to traverse the forest in search of the lantern I zoned in on before we started.

"I have to be careful just like Rin. should my magic run low and my wings show up, I'll be exposed as well." I said as I Sat on top of a tall tree.

Scanning the forest floor, I made sure no one was around to witness anything.

Unfurling my wings, I took off at a great speed towards the lantern.

I landed quietly and hid my wings once again. as I lit the demon lantern and placed it inside a tailisman to keep it immobilized, and a barrier to prevent the elements or any demons from putting it out on the way back. I then tried to lift it.

Keyword tried...

"Damn my scrawny arms!" I screeched as I struggled to lift the stone lantern.

"I knew skipping gym would come back to bite me in the ass one day!" I yelled without being concerned that someone would hear as I was already far, far away from everyone else.

"Guess I'll be cheating then..." I said as I removed my strength limitation spell slightly. Allowing me to lift it with ease.

"I hate doing this since it feels like cheating, but oh well!" I said lifting it over my head. 

And with that, I was on my way back to camp to get things done and over with.


Looking ahead, I sensed a familiar presence along with one similar to it. Masking my own presence, I quietly climbed up the tree closest to them.

"Hello there." I said waving at the two figures while hanging upside-down from a tree branch.

"Gah!" Mephisto screeched upon turning around.

"Oh my, did you just get scared Brother?"

I laughed a bit before dropping to the branch below me.

"Nice of you to drop in on us students sir, but you really should have taken a more discreet mode of transportation." I said pointing at the demon umbrella that carried him.

"A-ah, yes. I suppose that a giant demon umbrella is a bit of a giveaway..."

"Anyways, I figured it would be rude not to drop by and say hello to our headmaster!" I said with a smile as I sat down on the branch I was standing on.

"I see, so you wanted to say hello, is that it?" He asked looking over at me. 

"That's about right. Though I am also here to tell you that if anything happens to Rin, I answer to no one but myself when I take action. Not God, not Satan, No one." I said looking out over the forest.

"Oh? And why might that be?" Mephisto asked.

"Is it not obvious? I'm not one to be pushed around by others, no matter how high up the ladder they may be." I said as I grinned.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I best be off to help my classmates." I said as I took off.

"Strange girl isn't she?" Amaimon asked popping up from his hiding place.

"Strange indeed..." Mephisto replied as he watched me retrieve the giant demon lantern before I got back to heading to the location of the others.

0