Chapter 3: Where Is Your Mom?
81 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 
Mr. George was buying bread in the distance. He was a warm, friendly and peaceful person. Moreover, George was also a filial son. Because his house was next to mine, we had known each other since I first moved to town. As if he had seen me, he approached me without hesitation. Afraid he realized that I was peeking at him, I turned my face the other way. After he held the loaf in front of my nose, the aroma of fried eggs completely conquered my heart.
 
“Hey! Ebony. Your stomach is growling.” Laughing, George said.
 
“I'm Abony, you idiot,” I blushed.
 
He always teased me like that with the gesture that I was just a child.
 
“Come and eat with me.” Sat on a chair under the tree next to me, his chubby hand patted the spot beside him while his sweet brown soft eyes touched mine.
 
“No, thanks. I like sitting here.”
 
“Are you sure?” Chuckled and turned, he enjoyed his crispy loaf of bread.
 
Clutched my stomach growled again like a drum; my face was pink.
 
“But what's wrong with you? Are you sad?”
 
“No, I'm good.” Taking a stone and scribbling on the cement floor, I replied.
 
***
 
George's POV.
 
During the rainy season in August, I rested after work at White Rabbit Park. The sparrows landed near me as their habit. After I tore the loaf of bread in my hand and scattered it, they enjoyed lunch with me like I was at some joy party. I had to work overtime today and consequently could not come home to have lunch with my mother. I was afraid and made her upset, But that was okay; I could go home to see her for dinner.
 
Accidentally, I met Abony who huddled under the slide. What happened to her? Was she so upset that she had to escape here at this hour? I was guessing she had not put anything in her stomach yet. Her father rarely came home at noon, so she often went hungry.
In the past, Abony came to my house to eat every day, nevertheless, I did not see her come these days. Remember the first time I met her when I was thirteen years old.
 
One evening, it was storming...
 
Finished taking a shower before I went to the kitchen. A little girl was helping my mother put the food on the table. She was shorter than me, probably reaching my shoulder. She had short hair with bangs cut up to her forehead. Looking at her silly face, with the clumsiness of a boy, ordinarily, I laughed out loud.
 
“George, hurry up and help me prepare the food. Why're you standing there smiling?” my mother spoke up.
 
“Who's this, mom?” I pointed at the girl in front of me.
 
“She's Abony, our neighbor.”
 
The three of us sat at the dining table. Abony leaned over to eat and did not say a word. The atmosphere started to become awkward, so I decided to speak first:
 
“Abony, we're neighbors. So why have I never met you before?”
 
“I moved in last week.”
 
“Are you going with your parents?”
 
She nodded to show that I was right. Seeing that it was still hesitant, I continued to ask:
 
“Where's your mom? Does she cook for you?”
 
“She left,” she replied coldly.
 
“Okay, you two eat. Don't talk nonsense anymore. Abony, you said you love fried chicken wings. Eat more.” Put the food in Abony's bowl, my mother said.
 
Kept silent and asked no more questions, I tried to salvage the awkward atmosphere, notwithstanding, that it got heavier now. Stole a glance at her, but she did not show any emotion. That behavior was not like a child made me even more curious about her.
 
After eating, Abony thanked us and left my house. Still pouring rain, I looked out the window and saw her running somewhere without coming home. Accordingly, I followed and spotted her at White Rabbit Park. Underneath the slide, Abony sat in a cute chequered dress. Holding the umbrella in my hand, I saw tears streaming down her chubby cheeks. Feeling rude to her, I sat down and pushed the umbrella toward Abony.
 
...
 
At this moment, I met her again under the slide, but in a different form - a woman. Abony had long and straight black hair. The face had changed, but not much; only the sharp eyes were exactly the same as when she was young.
 
“George,” Abony spoke up.
 
“Huh, what's wrong?”
 
“Why are you still here?”
 
“Waiting for you to come out and eat some bread.”
 
I held the bread in my hand towards Abony. This time, she took the loaf of bread while her face turned in the other direction. Abony was a stubborn kid and had never been kind to anyone. She bit the loaf and crawled out from under the slide.
 
“Then why are you still alive?”
 
Looked at me once and she sat down next to me. The sound of a dog barking in the distance and her question swirling inside me. A simple question that I couldn't answer. I glanced at the little girl sitting next to me. Indeed, I had not paid attention to her before, the person sitting next to me was a realistic young woman now.
 
God, what was I thinking? Abony was still Abony.
 
“I want to take care of my mom,” I replied and looked towards the hill.
 
The reason I lived? Was it really because of the mother? Or was it just an excuse for someone like me who lived without a purpose.
 
“Did anyone stop you from doing that?” Abony lowered her face and gently touched and pulled my sleeve.
 
“What's wrong with you?” I smiled. “You keep asking strange questions today.”
 
She ate so fast, that the loaf of bread disappeared without a trace.
 
“Goodbye. Thanks for the loaf.” Standing up, she put her hands behind her butt and said.
 
Before I could answer, Abony rushed out of my sight like a small squirrel.
 
“Hey!” I said to follow in vain.
 
...
 
The streetlights turned on red, obscuring the waning moon in the sky. I come home after a tiring day at work. Lying on the warm bed, the image of Abony appeared in my mind.
 
“Why are you still alive?”
 
Why did I live? I sat up, staring at the picture I took with my mother on the table. Took the photo and fiddled with it for a while.
 
Damn! I couldn't sleep just because of her words.
1