(Vol 2) Chapter 34: A reporter’s worst nightmare.
153 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Recap

*Makoto Pov, 5 Minutes Earlier*

‘Sigh.’

I look at my fellow cheerleader, who will go on to perform with Captain Celebrity in a few minutes.

'Trying to locate this Hauler is much more difficult than imagined. He appeared at the Godzilla incident with Captain Celebrity yesterday and seems to be interested in saving people.

So I joined as a cheerleader to see if he would pop up here. But he’s not popped up this entire time.’

I mumbled my tiredness and wondered if he would show up at all. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I see a woman struggling out of an alley with something stuck in her leg.

I drop my items, tell the team I’ll be back and head towards her.

"Do you need any help?" I offered my hand for her to lean on, and I started heading in that direction.

"Yes, please bring me to the ambulance. My foot is injured and I need immediate medical attention. "

I activate my quirk and inspect her since she is a person of interest.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

*Narrator*

Makoto Tsukauchi’s Quirk: Polygraph! The condition for activation is making physical contact with the target. And her ability allows her to "judge the authenticity of her target words!"

Results: True!

*Narration End*

*Makoto Pov

‘Truth.’

I feel the results of my quirk come back as affirmative.

"We’ll let’s get you to the medics."

"O-oh, thank you."

Both me and the woman make our way towards the medic area. Behind the massive crowd filled with reporters, cameramen, and ordinary people all looking to see Captain Celebrity, is an area filled with 5-6 medics. 

Although nobody knew if the victims inside were dead or not, the H.P.S.C. had a team of medics on the sideline just in case.

Following the handover, I began returning to the area where my teammates were waiting to perform.

I walk into the tent where the girls are, and as expected, Aoi greets me with a finger pointed in my face and a fierce expression.

"Makoto, where have you been? We are about to start soon and you disappear!"

Placing my hands together, I bow slightly forward and apologize.

"Gomen-ne, (Sorry). Aoi-Chan I took a walk, and a black cat crossed my road. "

Looking at Aoi’s hand that held her face and the slow shaking of her head, I think I fooled her well.

After all, in the world of information, news is the most important thing, and letting someone steal the scoop is a reporter's worst nightmare.

‘Sorry Aoi?’ 

*Sigh*

"What am I going to do with you? We’ll whatever. As you asked, I made sure all of us were ready to perform in a few minutes, so you’re the only one left. "

Aoi then walked over and grabbed my uniform.

"Here’s yours, we're on in 5."

"Weee’ll you see that apology wasn’t only for being late."

"Huh?"

*Timeskip,*3rd Pov*

 Medical Area

The woman whom Makoto had previously escorted to the medical bay stared at Makoto as she lay in a hospital bed.

As she expected, her leg had been injured, and she would need to find something to do for the next 4 months, as performing her job as a nurse would be impossible.

She was reflecting on what she could do and when she could call her family when someone came into the room. Looking into the visitors' eyes, a determined fire could be seen.

Makoto headed into the area where she was told the women would be. With there being only two people injured in this area and with her being the person who brought one of those people in here, the staff were more than happy to tell her where the woman was.

"Hi, I’m Makoto, someone interested in the story of what happened in that building. More particularly on how you got out. "

The woman stared at Makoto. She remembered the person who brought her here, but her mind was preoccupied. Thinking of her future and her family. She had no time to think about her request right now.

"Not intre-"

Makoto expected this answer to show her ‘expertise’ in persuasion by sliding her unlocked phone with the dial pad open, and 9000 yen.

"I presume that your phone was destroyed in the rumbling of the building. You can use my phone to call your loved ones and tell them about your safety. The extra ‘change’ was for your inconveniences."

A few minutes later, Makoto returned to the room and took her phone back. She sat down and opened her pad, not questioning the lack of 9000 on the bed where she had previously set them.

"Shaking. I was attending to a patient. A sumo wrestler comes in for a check up. We were almost finished with the examination when the building shook.

He fell out of the bed and I onto the floor. Shards of glass found their way into our feet. We sat there, occasionally calling for help while we couldn’t move. Our phones were crushed by the shaking.

We waited for half a day before we started getting hungry. Luckily, he had brought small snacks to keep him satiated for the exam, so we ate those while waiting for rescue. He removed the shard of glass 2 hours before we were saved."

Makoto looked up from her notebook.

"2 Hours?"

"Yes, due to his quirk minor regeneration, he survived. However, I do understand that it sounds dubious. Things seemed hopeless, we couldn’t move. Despite hearing a crowd outside, nobody came in. Then something changed. We started feeling hot.

Heat crept into the room. Although he didn’t seem to notice, I felt the sudden change in temperature. I looked at the door and blue flames burned from behind the shattered glass.

I felt dust invade my eyes, and I felt someone come into the room, so I called for help. He stopped walking, so I assumed he heard me, but no response came. 

The dust was in my eyes, making it hard to see, while a moment later I heard another door open. 

I was wondering if the person had left when I felt a gust of wind. 

‘The outside door? Maybe a flying hero’

I felt that I was picked up. Despite the small frame, possibly caused by a quirk, the arms were firm. Again, I asked if I was being saved, but the response was the same. I was confused about who this was since most heroes are boisterous and loud.

Then my sense of gravity shifted. The ground was no longer close, I felt my body moving, as if I was on the ground for a moment before falling once again. 

On the upside, the wind was clearing my eyes. After a few moments, my eyes were safe, and so was I.

I cleared my eyes once more and looked to where my savior should be, only to find the place to be void. Looking to the sky, an azure flame was all that was left. I turned my attention to getting out of the alleyway and that is when you found me.

Makoto finished scribbling on her notepad. She thought about where she had heard the word azure before. It wasn’t a common word yet, yet she’s been hearing it recently.

‘Azure?’

*In an Alleyway*

A man could be seen coming from the depths of the alleyway. He was a heavily muscled man. With his short dark hair and visibly thick eyebrows, he also possesses heavy stubble and a prominent scar running diagonally down his left cheek.

He wore a simple wrap-around black mask tied over the top of his head, a tight-fitting dark shirt, jeans, boots, and a long hunter green trench coat. On his hands, he wears a pair of dark gloves topped with a pair of brass knuckles, or knuckledusters, from which he derives his name.

"These streets have been very active ever since a few months ago. First psycho-maniac assassin. Then random villains pop up out of the woodwork. A mysterious origination makes people go ballistic. And now random people who can’t decide their occupation. "

Koichi and Pop turned around to face the man.

"Master."

"Captain Troublemaker." also known as the "Flying Stallion. "An American pro hero involved in many legal cases, mainly related to women."

"See, Koichi, I told you that women are no good for hanging out with such a person."

"Master, did you mean his occupation is changing between a villain and a hero?"

"A hero or-"

The "Master" turned towards the crowd in the distance. More specifically, the structure If you look past them, you can see the sun hanging in the sky.

But what he was looking at wasn’t the sun. But past that, as if his gaze saw through everything. One flying bird got shivers and goosebumps all over his body, despite having flames coating him.

______________________

Now what did you learn from reading this series. DO NOT ENTER ALLEYWAY'S!

4