(Vol 2) Chapter 44: Flames of Justice or Evil.
91 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(A/N: Some tags and things have been added since I believe that part of the content I write is a bit too much for no viewer discretion tag or note to not be added.)

Recap:

A few days later, I regretted raiding those factory guys or whatever for food.

After I left, things continued as normal, I was more cautious and purposefully prevented meetings with people when I went out for food.

However, 3 days after those police cars showed up, things turned downhill for me. Vigilance was increased, and even in the depth of night, policemen could be seen patrolling.

This area was more crime-ridden than my previous one, so you would  normally expect the police to be stretched thin with force, however the increase suggested otherwise. I

determined that this was the work of those other guys since one day I was being chased by a police officer and I passed by those Taru guys again. Instead of calling backup or something for them, the policeman waved at them before continuing on chasing me.

It would appear that bribes and blackmail were more prevalent in this area. With both the restrictions of trying to not meet people and the increase in police, opportunities to find food became scarce, and I continued to move from the outskirts of the city, looking for places where vigilance was lax.

And I had arrived in an even more dangerous area than I had been in before. However, since the police weren't as commonly sighted as before, younger me considered this a haven and so I enjoyed the freedom that could be found, not knowing of the

__________________________________________________________________________________________

*Flashback*

Have you ever felt extreme terror, the kind that twists your mind until you can't think. Have you ever been forced to watch something so terrifying, you try desperately to move, but neither your body, your eyes, or your head will listen.

*Azure Pov*

Where did everything go so wrong?

I had been in this new district for a few days and although things were easier to find, some things were different.

I had been trying to procure food one night, and I found someone near the trash can. Since this was a new district, I figured that there's no problem with trying to take the food since, at worst, I would get beat up.

And so I got ready to peak more than just my head out of the corner when a metallic smell hit my nostrils. I remembered that it was blood since It bled from me almost daily.

However, the amount I smelt wasn't normal, and my eyes confirmed this fact. The dripping blood was followed by a heavy thud. The man's eyes were closed, yet blood pooled out from his body and surrounded it.

I was paralyzed, my eyes wouldn't move and my body, although shaking, seemed stuck in place. I wanted to move back, to run away from the murderer. This was the first time I had seen death, so my reaction had been normal. However, the fear at that time was immense.

The murderer looked my way. Luckily, I had gained the ability to press my head back behind the wall. He walked towards me before receiving a call and running away.

That was one of many events that occurred in that district. I became even more vigilant, making sure to run away if I heard people and to ignore any screams I heard.

My stay had been at an abandoned construction site, and from what I heard in the daytime, this area was so ridden with crime that  such buildings were commonplace.

One day, however, my semi-peaceful life there ended. Due to the lack of police officers and the high level of crime in the area, nobody cared about a kid wandering the streets. Everyone there had something better to do than try to save one lone kid.

And so I started becoming bolder and bolder. The morning was a bit safer than the night due to the fact that the night provided perfect cover for crime, so I changed my schedule to include searching for food in the morning.

And this had been going well, until I saw that. I found a trash can that had some expired cereal, and so while I grabbed it, I heard a scream.

I knew to ignore it, and so I proceeded to speed up and get out of here before another voice caught my attention.

"Don't hurt my mommy."

'A kid.'

I knew the number of orphans was numours. That the people in this district were not forgiving or the kind to let a child off. That my lack of many things would mean my chances of winning the battle would be low.

Yet that terrified voice, that reminded me so much of myself, sent my body running. My heart was pumping as my mind tried to psyche itself out of doing this.

'You won't win.'

'Why are you trying to save anyone when you're weak?'

But it was that weak consciousness in the back of my mind that pushed me the most to do this.

'How can you save him if you can't even save yourself?'

Whether I only wanted to disprove his words, or whether my intentions were truly noble, I still kept running.

The light momentarily blinded me and what I saw was a woman on the ground holding her child in her arms while shielding him from the men behind her with her back.

One of them was tall, maybe 5'9 with tattoos placed all over his upper forearm. He was wearing a tank top and had a lecherous look on his face. What he was thinking about I wouldn't know at the time.

Behind him was an intelligent man with a black suit on. He had glasses that showed his intelligence and highlighted his natural scheming look. His spiky hair was slicked back, and he seemed to be the brain of the group.

'Alright, if I light my hand on fire and use it to throw a punch at the big guy, then he'll probably underestimate me and confront it with his own hands. Not knowing the heat of my flames, he'll scream out in pain and be temporarily incapacitated. As for the other one…'

Looking at the intelligent man, I couldn't come up with any concrete plan to defeat him.

'I'll just have to wing it.'

Hyping myself up, I walk out of the darkness and prepare to fight. My hand behind my back silently lights on fire, ready to burn.

"Hey, pick on someone your own size."

The big guy looked towards me and the look in his eyes told me that he was all the kind of arrogant that I remembered from TV.

"Another kid wants to play, eh."

He took a step forward towards me.

'It's going just like the plan.'

Although nothing had happened yet, him doing what I predicted gave me confidence that I could do this, I figured that I'd find out how to beat the other one later.

I crouched, ready to spring into action.

'Alright, let's do what they do in the movi-'

*Boom*

'Wha-'

Something hot could be felt as I moved my hands to my stomach.

"Quit playing, the boss said to remove everyone who's trying to bring change to this district."

The man said as he was putting his hand towards the other.

'NO!'

*Boom*

*Boom*

I had dropped to the floor at this point since my small body couldn't handle the injury. I forced myself to look up towards the two men. Although one of my eyes had blood in it and my other was blurry, I forced myself to look at them as they left.

"HaHaHa, alright, if the boss said so, then long live our gang."

Once they passed through my vision, I turned my focus to my flames, I knew they could heal, so I inchied my body towards the two. The mother was barely hanging on while the child had his eyes closed.

'Come ON.'

Slowly, inch by inch, I got closer to them. I figured I would survive with my quirk, so with disregard to my injury, I put my hand on both of them. The mother was sitting upright with her son on her lap while I was laying on the floor with only my head and hands up.

My hand touched the woman's arm and the child's head. I lit it in flames, waiting for their injury to heal.

'This is the least I can do to help them.'

My flames just sat there for a moment, and I mistakenly thought that was the process starting, so I closed my eyes. However, the smell, which I can't describe, was smelt.

I opened my eyes and saw my flames burning both of them. I was horrified.

"No, stop."

I violently pulled my hand away from them, but my blue flames were still burning them. I haven't mastered them to the point of extinguishing them when they are not in contact.

"I'm Sor-"

I looked up and saw the mother's face. She was caressing her child lovingly and, despite the fact that I knew my flames were hot, she looked like she wasn't in pain and I would've believed it had she not been twitching now and then.

Finally, when she looked at me, she smiled, My mind had stopped working properly at this point, and after her smile, she kissed her son before both of them turned into ash. The wind quickly blew them into the air, and that was the end of the two nameless people who I tried to save.

That was the moment I learned that these flames of mine weren't meant to save you.

1