CH: 1
684 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[COMPLETE VICTORY!]

A light fanfare plays from my PC after winning a ranked round of OverW*tch3. For most people, hearing this melody would bring considerable joy and satisfaction after winning a hard match and getting an increase in their rank. 

For me, this is the forth time I've listened to this tune in the last hour. I've played this game since its release date 2 years ago and not once have I ever fallen out of Legend Rank. It's not only this game either. CS:GO, TF3, PUBW, G.O.W, Leage, and several others. All of these games have been conquered by me. One after the other.

I've been asked before as to why I would try so hard to be the best when I gain almost nothing from it. I dont have a social media, I dont stream, I don't even upload clips to Utube. 

So why would go through the effort to always be the best? I... dont really know to be honest. If I had to say something, I would say that I am pleased by having my name being displayed in the #1 spot.

 Call me a narcissist but I enjoy the feeling of being better than everyone else.

I mean, who wouldn't? Even if it is just a game.

I lazily slide back in my gaming chair so I can stand up and turn off my PC. I always dislike this process but shutting it off improperly is bad for the hardware.

"Huuuuuuh..."

A large sigh escapes my mouth as I finish shutting down my computer. Normally I could keep playing for another couple hours but today I have an important lunch date with an old friend of mine.

After a bit of light stretching I make my way towards my bedroom to get prepared. Its supposed to be a "casual meet up" but the restaurant he chose doesn't serve a single meal under three digits...

However I sappose such a thing is natural for a young master like him. Despite my stray thoughts my hands deftly prepare an outfit for me to wear after my shower. A pair of tan khaki pants with a white dress shirt and a light blue cardigan to over top.

After my shower, I get dressed and tie my black shoulder length hair in loose ponytail that compliments my more casual outfit. A quick glance at my watch shows me that I have 20 minutes to arrive at our reservation putting me right on schedule.

I take the elevator down to the parking garage where the first thing I see is a jet-black Ford challenger with a rather... energetic looking man occupying the drivers seat.

"Have I kept you waiting?" I ask with a light shout to get his attention.

"Not at all Steve, though I see that your just as cute as ever." He replies in a serious tone, but the smirk plastered on his tanned face breaks the illusion immediately.

"I thought you learned how to keep those comments to yourself after your girlfriend thought you where cheating."

"This misunderstanding was cleared already. And besides it's not like I'm telling lies~" 

My face cramps slightly after hearing another one of his unfiltered 'compliments'

"Thats right, now she only thinks your gay" I declare as hop into the passenger seat and buckle my seatbelt. Not failing to notice the nicer looking suitcase placed behind his seat.

"It wouldn't be the first time now would it?" He states as I'm reminded of an embarrassing moment from high-school.

"Sigh~,You can be way to careless ya'know"

We drive out of the garage and spend an uneventful 15 minutes driving to the restaurant. It appears as a rather comely astableshment. Its a smaller 2-story brick building with white accents and vines climbing the sides. The number of foreign cars in the lot, along with the chauffeur reveals this places hidden notoriety. After leaving the car and being taken to our seats I decided to get straight to the point.

"So whats big occasion Rudger? You normally cant do anything with me outside of a phone call, so im guessing it's somewhat important."

Rudger quickly empties his glass of wine before grabbing the suitcase he had brought to our table with us.

"Gettin right to the point eh? How unexpected.(monotone)"

Rudger eagerly bends over to grab the case from the floor and lifts it onto the table.

"Truth is, I Acually got a gift for ya!" He says excitedly as he fumbles to open the latches on the suitcase.

The case is opened without much fanfare, and Inside  it is an expensive looking chrome nerve-gear headset with a matching wristband to go with it.

"I recieved this as a gift from one of my more recent business partners. It even came with an access code for the [DIMENTIA CROSSING] closed beta!" He says beaming with excitement without realizing the wine stuck to his beard.

"Okay? But why give this to me? I've  never done the vr stuff. And I know that your pretty big into gaming as yourself."

"Thats because I've got a hunch!"

"A hunch?"

"Thats right! This games gonna be big! I guarantee it!" He claims while maintaining perfect eye contact with a serious expression.

"That still doesn't answer my question."

"Relax, I'm gettin there~" he says while downing his third glass of wine.

"Someone can easily get access to the open-beta, but getting into the closed-beta is hard. Even for me." He states with a look of resignation. After which he begins to fervently shovel his spagetti into his mouth.

"Thach why I'm givvng thich to thou! Wich your thills and whathever bonus you can get in the betha, it's almoth thertain that you can become one of the besht!"

"I understand so please finish chewing your food."

"hokay"

○●○●○●○●○●○

After finishing my meal with Rudger I returned to my apartment with the headset in hand. In the end he was able to convince me to reluctantly  accept it. After that we went on to talk about other things like his ex-girlfriend and about why he dyed his hair blond.

I refused at first but now that I have the headset in my hands I can feel the excitement swelling up inside me. This nerve gear stuff has never been an interest to me due to the size of the capsule. This headset however is a much newer technology which is able to fill the same purpose with its meager size.Unfortunately for my excited self, the beta doesn't begin for another four days so I guess until then I'll be back on my regular routine~

13