Chapter 09 Fugitives
584 8 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had already guessed the answer, but I thought it’d be better to let them tell me.

Their relieved expressions sharpened to that of warriors prepared to do whatever it took to fulfill their mission. Even if it included killing someone who just helped them.

I just leaned against the cabin wall, relaxed.

“Why do you think it was temple knights after us?”

“Other than the reaction you just gave, you really need to be careful about that, I recognized the faces of some of them in the group you were afraid of, even if they weren’t in their armor.”

Among them were the pair that had pestered me in the inn.

With a flash of steel, a knife was being held against my throat.

“Don’t move. That you know them just makes you even more suspicious. How do you know them? Who are you?”

“Put away the blade if you don’t want to lose it. Call me Lary. I’m a traveler. I saw two of them at an inn when they were witch hunting a few days ago. I’ll never forget the expressions on their faces when they had the tables turned on them. It was amusing.”

The woman holding the dagger to my neck narrowed her eyes at me, then looked to her companions. They were communicating via hand signals, though the one threatening me only had one to spare.

“Last warning, put the knife away. I’ve been really patient with you, helped you, and just dropped fifty gold on the first mate to keep your presence a secret. I should hope you don’t treat everyone like this.”

More signals, and the knife was moved away. Slightly.

I lost my patience and acted.

“[Bind]”

I restrained the women, leaving only me and the girl free. She had been sitting back in the corner of my bed looking nervous, now she was scared. I shifted them to be sitting next to each other with their backs to the wall on the crappy bed. The girl retreated further into the corner as I sat on the same bed, even though I kept my distance.

“So, feel like talking now? I wouldn’t have done that if you had been reasonable, and not talking about killing me. And girl, stop cowering. I’m not going to hurt you. Them, on the other hand…”

For some reason the language cheat I’d gotten had included sign language. That was a bit of a surprise. They’d been discussing what to do, and the consensus seemed to be to have me lost overboard as soon as possible, though poison and suffocating me in my sleep were suggested.

“Wait! Don’t hurt them, they’re just protecting me!”

Oh, the girl cared for her bodyguards. That’s good. I hate those who treat their protectors as disposable.

“Then I believe you owe me a story.”

I gave her a gentle smile. I didn’t want her to be scared of me, but the bodyguards were way too overprotective and bloodthirsty.

For some reason, the girl, who was probably in her early teens, blushed as she looked at me, but she started talking.

“They were after me. I was visiting my mother’s family in this country when I awakened a new skill. The church wants me because of it, so my family is sending me home in secret.”

Succinct without giving much information. The girl was well taught. But…

“What skill?”

The bound women tried to protest, but the binding was changed to include their mouths, since the girl started speaking. I didn’t want them interrupting us.

“Holy Magic.”

Holy Magic is the rarest kind of magic. Only a handful of people can use it. Most of them end up being called a Saint or Hero. It’s like light magic on steroids. Light magic can heal wounds, but cannot cure diseases or recover missing flesh, and tends to leave scars. Holy magic can cure diseases and heal wounds perfectly, including restoring missing limbs. Even bringing the dead back to life if their soul hasn’t detached from their body yet, though that is incredibly dangerous.

It isn’t just for healing though. It can be used to cast some rather impressive buffs, create defenses, and cause massive damage, if applied correctly.

I’d seen this skill during appraisal, and knew that churches would do their utmost to try and get a hold of a holy magic user. If they couldn’t entice them to their side, some of them would try more despicable means to acquire them, or kill them rather than let another church or faction have them.

“Ah, you too, huh?”

I said it flippantly, earning a confused look, then a wide eyed stare when she realized what I’d said. The bodyguards had stilled in their futile efforts to free themselves to also stare at me.

“Wh… huh? Ah…”

Oh, I think I broke her, but I think that roughly translated to something like ‘What’d you say? How? Are you serious?’

I pulled a teakettle and a pair of cups out of my storage.

“Here, have some tea.”

I poured her a cup and held it out to her. She took it absentmindedly, sipping periodically. I enjoyed my own cup. It was quite refreshing. The secret was in the water.

Finally, she pulled herself together, looking at the teacup that was mostly empty, then back up to me.

“Quite nice, isn’t it.”

She nodded. Then gathered her will to speak.

“Are you really like me?”

“In that I can use holy magic, yes, outside of that, every person tends to be very different. Here, I’ll show you.”

I pulled a pitcher from storage and filled it with water, then cast a spell on it, making it holy water. The stuff is an excellent base for drinkable items. Boosts their effects greatly. Like amplifying the relaxing and mind clearing effects of herbal tea. Makes simple herbs act like low level potions, and levels up potions a tier or two.

She saw me bless the water, then dipped a finger in it when I leaned it towards her. She tasted it, finding it to have the unique sweetness peculiar to holy water. Something she should have been able to also detect in the tea.

“You’re, uh, you’re not with the church are you?”

“Good lord, no! They were after me as well for using a simple light spell. They don’t know about this.” I gestured at the holy water. “Only those present know, and you’ll be keep that a secret, yes?”

I put out a bit of intimidation, and got frantic nods.

“And no more trying to kill me?”

More nods, so I waved a hand and the restraints vanished.

The women who’d been plotting to kill me moved quickly, but not to attack.

“Huh, dogeza is a tradition for you guys too?”

What I said must have translated to another word, since they understood what I meant.

“We’re sorry! Please forgive us for threatening the holy one!”

“Who’s a holy one? I’m just a traveler.”

That was a lie. I had a couple titles with holy in them.

“No, no, we can’t do that to someone who must be a great hero.”

“Relax already! And don’t call me a hero! People treating me like that annoys me. If you don’t relax, I’m going to tie you back up and throw you in the other cabins to cool down. Without lighting them up.”

They shut up and sat up, though their posture remained extremely stiff. Good enough for now. I’d try to break them of that during the voyage. I had a decade of experience breaking people. Hero worship is just tiring.

Sighing in frustration, I looked over at the girl. She was covering her mouth with her hands, trying not to laugh. I made silly faces and she could no longer suppress her giggles.

“Ah, much better. Laughter is an amazing medicine, it helps in soooo many situations it’s not even funny.”

I could see the bodyguards’ faces twitching as they tried to maintain their emotionless masks. Sadly, they weren’t going to laughter, but some other emotion. Consternation? Confusion? I don’t know, but whatever. I’d make them relax eventually.

“Um, Lord Lary?”

I looked back at the girl.

“Not a lord, but what is it?”

I’d given up my titles formally as a part of the preparation for my return.

“Umm, since you can use the same magic as me… can you teach me?”

“Yeah, I can do that. Oh, by the way, do they know who you are? The church, I mean.”

She shook her head.

“I don’t think they know my name, but they know what I look like and managed to follow me somehow.”

“Hmm, they might have been scrying on you. Probably found something linked to you to use as a medium. Hair, blood, dirty clothes. You’ll be safe in here. I put up wards that will block their attempts. By the time we get to Merrow, whatever they have will have the link decayed. Links are only good for a week or so after being separated from the body.”

“Um, it’s probably blood.” Oh! Bodyguard jumping in. “The young lady was injured when she awakened her magic.”

“What happened?”

“There was an accident. A boy got pushed in front of a carriage and tried to stop himself by grabbing the nearest person, who happened to be the young lady, pulling her with him. He was trampled, while the young lady was only stepped on once, breaking her arm. Then she started glowing and all of the injuries were healed, but there was still blood on the ground. We pulled the lady away and fled. I informed the ki… lady’s family who instructed us to get her out of the country immediately.”

“OK. Then the first thing I’m teaching you is purification. You don’t want to be leaving parts of yourself behind. Especially blood. People can do nasty stuff with that. Are you all going to stick around?”

I’d asked the last to the bodyguards. Six people in this little space was very cramped. They looked at each other, then two of them got up.

“At least one of us will stay with the young lady at all times. But at least two when in the presence of a man.”

“Works for me. We should be leaving soon though, so you’ll want to head to your cabins quickly. Don’t want you rocking the boat. Oh, and how are you doing the rooms. Is one of you sleeping there,” I pointed at the bed they’d been on, “Or are three of you cramming in one room? I’m not gonna try anything, if you’re worried about that.”

Another conversation of glances. That I didn’t understand, unlike sign language.

“We shall trust your words, so I shall sleep here.”

The other two left.

“So, young lady, may I have your name? If you’re going to be my student, I should know what to call you. You too, miss bodyguards.”

“My apologies. I am Isabella Sere…”

“Young lady, stop!”

Isabella stopped, looking at the bodyguard, then back at me.

“Young lady. Even if he’s a hero, we don’t know enough yet.”

“Your first names alone are fine. Save formal introductions for if you decide to trust me. And don’t call me a hero. Or a saint, or anything but a traveler.”

“My apologies. As the young lady already introduced herself, I shall introduce us. My name is Jane, This is Lisa.” She indicated the other bodyguard. “The other two are Rachel and Morgan. Morgan is the red-head.”

“Nice to meet you. And I hope you have something to keep you from being bored. This isn’t likely be exciting, at least not to begin with. Well, miss Isabella, shall we begin?”

33