CHAPTER 1
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Blank space, known by such a name due to how empty it was. In this space, no matter where you look, all you would see is white and nothingness. Silence was all you could hear.

Amidst this sad lonely space, stood a young little girl. "Again…" She murmured. "this never ending dream."

------

DING! DING! DING!

Mia woke up to the sound of the orphanage's bell ringing, she looked as tired as always. She got out of her bed to prepare herself for the day, but as she was making her way to the bathroom to wash up, every step she took felt so heavy, as if she was dragging them on the floor.

After washing up, Mia headed to the orphanage's dining table where the kids gather. The room which was filled with chit-chat and laughter made Mia's gloomy aura seem out of place. She walked to the end of the table and took a seat far from the other kids.

A hand invaded Mia's field of vision and tapped on her hand gently. She turned to her right to meet eyes with her friend, Vin. He smiled at her, silently announcing his presence to her. She smiled back as a response.

Vin was sent to the orphanage after he survived a car crash that took away his whole family, and left both of his legs broken, unable to walk. His relatives weren't interested in taking him in due to his disability. After he arrived at the orphanage, Mia was assigned to be his caretaker.

Due to Mia's gloomy appearance and Vin's disability, they were ostracized by the other kids. This led them opening up to each other and becoming ever so close, providing comforts for one another since they were the only one they have.

------

After breakfast, Mia tended to the garden as it was part of her duty. As she was checking on the flowers, she got lost in her own thoughts.

"Mia?"

She was brought back to her senses by Vin who was calling out.

"How was last night? Did the meditation work?" Asked Vin, with a concerned look on his face. He was referring to the method Mia tried, to get rid of her dream of being in blank space.

"No… it didn't. I still dream about that empty... lonely place. I'm scared to even sleep," Mia complained as she lay her head onto the wheelchair's armrest.

"Don't worry! As long as we don't give up, we'll find a solution for it someday," Vin comforted Mia and patted her head gently.

Vin's sweet voice comforted Mia. She was convinced that as long as they are together everything will work out.

------

One day, Miss Rosaria, the orphanage caretaker, took the kids on a field trip. It was organized and sponsored by Madam Aria Winston and some other Charities.

Madam Aria Winston was a very wealthy and kind person, she liked to donate and help the orphanage. She also has a son about the same age as Vin and Mia, which made her adored and pitied the kids dearly.

"Is everyone ready?" Miss Rosaria asked.

"Soon, Mrs. Rosaria," Mia replied as she was checking on Vin's wheelchair.

"Please hurry! We are leaving in 10 minutes, and don't forget to bring your belongings."

Mia finished checking on the wheelchair for the last time. "Alright, seems like we'll do just fine," She was making sure because the last time they went out to play, it suddenly broke and started moving on it's own.

"You don't have to worry too much… it was just a one time thing."

"We can't be careless! I barely managed to catch you last time. It's dangerous!" Mia insisted.

Vin just smiled nervously since he couldn't argue with her. 

Mia grabbed their backpacks before turning to Vin "All done! Shall we go, Vin?"

"Let's go!"

Mia lifted Vin's wheelchair onto the bus and took a seat next to him. The bus took off. Mia fell asleep on Vin's shoulder and Vin just gazed outside the bus's window in silence as they were holding hands.

A moment later the bus arrived at their destination. It was a wide open field covered with green grass and flowers, an ideal place to relax and have fun, which Mia would enjoy, or so Vin thought. She stayed by his side and pushed his wheelchair around instead of going off and enjoying the place.

Vin clenched his fists, he felt very guilty and pathetic for always having Mia holding herself back because of him. He had always felt like a burden to everyone around him, especially to her. He hated himself.

"Mia, don't mind me. Just go and have fun."

"Eh? But I'm already having fun just being by your side."

"But you're always with me, you must feel tired of..."

"Come on, Vin! I am being honest right now!" Mia raised her voice, interrupting Vin as she sensed he was about to bad mouth himself. "Are you just not appreciating my honesty, huh? Is that it?" Mia pouted.

"That's not what I meant… I… I just don't want you to spend all of your time keeping your eyes on me."

"Sigh… I really mean it, Vin. I am having a lot of fun right now with you." Mia tried to assure Vin as she took a seat next to his wheelchair.

Vin felt bumped since he failed to win over Mia's persistent yet again. The two then sat quietly, side by side, enjoying each other's company for a while.

[Original artwork of Vin and Mia]

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSzBHFsB15s/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sometimes later, a couple of kids came and played nearby. The kids caught Mia's attention and she just silently watched them play with her lonely eyes. Vin noticed this and once again, he felt guilty.

"Hey!" A voice called out to Mia. She looked up and it seemed like it was from one of the kids.

"What are you doing?!" The other kid grabbed his arm and pulled him down. "Don't you see how scary they look?"

"Come on, they can't be that bad."

The two seemed to be discussing something for a while before coming to an agreement. Mia and Vin were just watching in confusion.

"Hey!" One of the kids suddenly called out again.

Mia flinched from the loud voice.

"Wanna come play?"

Mia got flustered by this sudden invitation and was tempted to join them, but she hesitated. She glanced at Vin and her side and he gave her a nod with a smile as encouragement. Mia ran off, joyfully joined and played with them.

While Mia was enjoying her time, Vin quietly pushed himself around the field. Rosaria spotted him and attempted to help. "Is there anywhere you want to go? I can help you get there."

"Ah, Miss Rosaria, thank you. Can you push me over to that tree over there, please?" Vin gladly accepted Rosaria's help.

"Such a relaxing and refreshed place, isn't it?" Said Rosaria, attempting to start a conversation.

"Yes, thank you Miss Rosaria, for bringing us here. It has been a while since I saw Mia having fun like this."

The two were quiet for some time until Rosaria started talking again. "Vin, this may seem out of nowhere, but… I really do care about you and Mia, even if I don't seem like it. I just find it hard to approach you two. But today, when I saw Mia playing and laughing like any normal kid, I thought maybe I had been too ignorant…" Rosaria's vision became blurry from the tears. She took a deep breath and started talking again "I'm sorry, I promise to properly care for the both of you from now on."

Vin was surprised. He took a glance at her relief face, it looked as if a big rock had been lifted off of her chest and was finally able to breathe again. At that moment he realized that he and Mia had always been loved, and was moved. He just silently tried to hold his tears back, not knowing how to respond to her.

"Oh, my! It's getting late. We should start preparing to head back. I'm gonna head back now, Vin. What about you?"

Still in shock and emotional, Vin just nodded.

"Haha, which one? Yes or no?" Rosaria jokingly asked Vin again, clearly showing how she has lowered her guard.

"..."

Rosaria sighed, "Okay, I'm gonna leave you alone here. I'll come and pick you up after we're done preparing. But don't wander off too far, okay?" Seeing the state that Vin was in, she let him stay by himself.

Rustle

The sound of bushes brushing against each other could be heard nearby. It was Mia, she got worried about Vin, and came looking for him but ended up witnessing him and Rosaria just now. Seeing how they were able to converse with each other, she felt relieved and left.

The sun was setting. Vin sat by himself on the wheelchair, staring at the sky that was engulfed by the colors of the setting sun.

'What a beautiful scene,' he thought, showering himself in the light of the distant sunset.

0