Chapter 3 – Magic And Cruelty
205 7 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I admit, I may be retarded or something. I had somehow managed to convince myself that what was happening to me was a dream. Going back into the restricted zone, sneaking my way into my old hangout spot, and finding out my old hangout spot is now a Zenar cage, cell, or whatever it is called, and meeting a cute talking Zenar whose name is Ava. She's also...kinda incredibly sexy when she is standing up. 

Even when Ava pounced on me, I didn't feel scared, or not really. Maybe just a tad bit. However, after she suddenly started talking about me being like her, things quickly changed. My father spoke again, causing me to turn and glare at the observation window, about to yell at him to get out of my head, when Ava roared. 

I have heard a Zenar roar before, both in high school and in real life, though only in the distance. But hearing it up close was something else. I felt a primal terror fill me. I call it that since my entire body moved without me even realizing it, backing up. Every nerve in my body and every subconscious voice in the back of my head screamed at me to run. 

It was probably that roar, and the terror that I felt, that made me realize that this wasn't a dream. However, what happened next really forced me to face reality.

Ava lunged through the window, breaking it. I watched, unable to do anything, as the scientists on the other side, and my father, stared at Ava in horror. Ava eyed them all, growling, her voice no longer sounding anything like a human, before she let out a giggle. Unlike her growls, her giggles did sound human, only now there was an eerie, somewhat ghastly and dreadful echo to it. Then, she reached towards my father.

I felt myself stop breathing, then sigh in relief upon realizing she grabbed the scientist next to him, her red eyes staring at the bright lightish blue light at the top of the room. Then, she started talking.

"I'll have you know, Light, that I let you be. There was no need to eat you," Her eyes narrowed as she quickly glanced at the people in the room before looking back at the light, "But I am still a predator, and I will hunt you and the shapes inside you. Don't you get in the way of what is mine."

Then, without even looking at the struggling scientist in her hand, crushed his neck and lower jaw. There wasn't even the sound of bones crushing, only a wet sound. When she let go, I realized, with a shock, that she crushed him so hard that there wasn't even a trace of anything left, only the top half of his head remained.

Silence filled the room, somehow even the humming of the light going dark. It was broken by Ava, who giggled once again before turning around and walking over to me. When I saw her approaching, her red eyes glowing in the darkness of the room, I let out a whimper and tried backing up, only to realize that I was already back against the wall. When that happened, I have no clue. Still, I know there is no way that I can get up in time. I may have wanted this to be a dream, but I don't want to die. 

Yet, seeing as I had willingly stepped into an unauthorized zone, and then foolishly walked into a dark room without seeing what was in it first, and then not listening to my father, I guess I deserved this. For some reason, I was smiling at this, though it wasn't a happy smile.

Maybe my friends were right about how I should go see a therapist. I was here, smiling about my incoming death. Yeah, the least I can do is close my eyes so I won't see how Ava kills-

"Are you okay?"

I frowned, then opened my eyes. Ava was right in front of me, one hand off the ground, her voice back to normal, and a worried look on her face.

I opened my mouth but nothing came out since I was too stunned to speak. Is she trying to trick me? 

"You smell weird. How do I make that bad smell stop?" Ava asked me, gently cupping my cheek with her free hand. The concern in her eyes and the gentle and tender way she touched me, while embarrassing, made me think that she isn't trying to trick me. 

But what bad smell is she talking about? I can't see anything going on inside the observation room, which makes me believe that they left me, though I doubt my father did. He was stubborn like that. Still, that means I am all alone with a Zenar in the room, and I guess I did bring this upon myself too, so I might as well deal with the cards I've been given.

Speaking of which, I would rather spend what I assume is going to be the night with a calm rather than a anxious Zenar, and I think I know of a way to make that happen.

Ignoring the shakiness of my left arm, I reached out and gently cupped Ava's cheeks, then started petting her. Her skin was smooth and soft, as well as her hair. Even when I brushed against some scales underneath her eyes, I didn't feel any change in texture. The biggest shock, however, was when I brushed against one of her black horns, which then proceeded to flatten and feel fluffy, like they were fox ears. 

It took me a solid thirty seconds to realize that Ava was purring, a mix between a little girl humming and a dog whining with a cat's rumble affect...if that makes any sense. As I increased the pets, her purrs grew louder and, eventually, she leaned into me, resting her head on my lap as she laid down. Even as her hand went on my right leg, I didn't feel any sharp points to it despite knowing full well that she has non-retractable claws on her fingers. Then, her tail which, now that it is much closer, I can tell that it must be at least three point eight to four feet long, curled up in a way that it formed something like a semi wall around us.

I don't know how long we were like this but, eventually, when my hand could pet no longer and drowsiness made my eyelids heavy, I realized that Ava was sleeping. Her sleeping face was cute and peaceful, but her small breaths came out as ragged and hoarse. If she wasn't a Zenar, I would assume she might have a lung problem. 

I let out a sigh which quickly turned into a chuckle. Seeing her like this made me really confused. I know I should be scared since I just saw first hand what she is capable of, especially the fact that she killed the man without looking at him, only giving him a glance. And the fact that she managed to leap through the windows of her cell in one go only further proved the point that she is incredibly dangerous. Yet, she also has such a carefree attitude about her.

 

She's also really cute.

 

You know what? I'm gonna give her a nickname. I normally do it with friends and, technically, Ava can't be my friend since I only met her about an hour or so ago, but she did say we could be friends, and she has been quite...good? Terrifying? Cute? Amusing? Well, doesn't matter. 

With small subtle movements, trying my best to not wake her up, I pulled out a pen and a notepad from my pockets. I already had the perfect nickname for her.

 

 

 

 

.. ....

 

 

 

 

I stared at the little pink piece of paper, trying my best to understand what was on it. I...know what paper is, and I know what the color pink is....but I don't know how to read. Huh.

Ya know, not having most of my memory was a problem, but now it definitely does seem like a problem. I should find some way to fix this since, everyone knows ya have to be able to read in order to be smart, and if there is one thing I know, it is that I, the great and mighty Ava Kalesidia, Super Predator and Zenar 24, am smart!

That is why I won't give up, or ask the Light for help since I kinda did threaten them yesterday, and also make one of their shapes non-moving. I don't think we are on the best of relationships right now. 

When I woke up from my nice little sleep, Mye was gone, and in her place was a little somewhat sticky piece of pink paper with something written on it. At first, I was annoyed...no, the feeling that I felt before. Angry. Yeah, I was angry, but then calmed down once the Light explained things to me. They can be quite the good explainer if ya give them a chance. 

Mye, no, Karma, had to go since she has something known as school. I don't really remember what school is, but I do know is that I was very glad when I didn't have to take it anymore. I assume it is a prove your worth kinda thing. But, now that she is gone, I can't have her tell me what she wrote, which is annoying. Also, she was fun to be around, especially her reactions. They were fun to watch.

Also, she is still the only shape I can see see. I'm looking at you, non-moving body in the crunch stage in the corner. You still looked the same, and smelled delicious too, and was very tasty.

Oh yeah. The reason why the non-moving shape, or prey, was in the crunch stage was because I was hungrier than normal when I woke up. I also had to hunt very silently and quickly so I didn't wake Karma up, and then eat quietly too. After I had my fill, which was enough to make the non-moving prey bones, I went back to sleep. 

Wait. I smell the metal shapes...and now I smell another shape. Are they giving me prey again? I mean, I'll take it but I'm not really hungry. Then again, one should always take food when they get it. Wait. hunting too much is bad too. A predator should take care of not over-hunting since that means there is less prey for them to hunt. See? I bet the Light is too dumb to think of that!

I couldn't help but chuckle at my sweet victory before I sprung up into the darkest corner of my room, waiting patiently for the metal shape to come in with my prey. Although the Light may be doing some overhunting, I'm not going to waste the opportunity. Besides, if I don't finish eating them, I can always save the shape for later once they become non-moving prey.

The food door opened and the shape entered, though they were different from the normal prey. I can't tell what but, since I am guessing here, I am guessing the clothes they have on are different. Ah. Clothes...is a word I haven't used in a while. Maybe I should see if I can clean mine? They aren't as bright pink as I like them to be. 

"Woah. What caused this?" The prey asked, most likely talking to the Light. Unlike the other prey, they did not seem on guard whatsoever. I find that quite annoying. They are in my hunting area! I'll make them learn to be on guard. 

Wait. Why is the metal shape in my room too? Hold on...I'm confused. Hmmm. Am I not suppose to eat that shape? I mean, I know there is no reason to hunt the metal shape since I can't make them non-moving in the way non-moving prey is suppose to be, and some parts of them don't feel good. Actually, what is that shape doing? They're kneeling down and...are they giving a massage to the Light's wall? Oh how I miss a massage. I don't remember everything about it but I do know that it feels so good! Maybe I can get the shape to give me one-

 

Ehh? The shape just...pulled out a wand and used magic? A-and the Light wall is fixed!? That Shape Can Use Magic!?!?

 

I don't care if the Light didn't want me to not let the shape see me, since shapes tend to scream a lot. I launched myself and landed right next to the magic-knowing shape, surprising them and causing them to scream again and back up against the wall...the other wall, that is. They left their red strangely-shaped box here with some objects but none of them shone like the wand in their hand did. I cannot see any way that a lesser and inferior being such as the shape, which is Prey, can use magic while I cannot. It just can't be possible!

"You!" 

The shape begins to shed those water again and start making those weird noises. At least their not screaming-Oh. Nevermind. I spoke too soon.

"You, Prey! Wait, I mean Magic-Wielding Shape! You're going to te-"

....

 

....

 

....I like the scent they are giving off, but I want to learn magic more than I care about that scent, so why won't they Shut Up!? I know for sure that they can't hear me very well and every time I get closer to them to try and make sure they hear me, they just scream louder! Is there no winning?

No. I refuse to give up! I am the Great Ava Kalesidia! Zenar 24! A mighty Super Predator! I will not give up.

"Listen, Magic-Wielding Shape. I don't consider you prey, so can you please teach me ma-"

"AAAAHHHHHHHHH!"

"Listen here, bud. Ooh! Bud's a new wo-"

"GAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!"

"Please stop-"

"AAAAIIIYYYYAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!"

 

....

 

....

 

I wonder if the shapes inside the Light are different from the ones I get? Those ones seem to be smarter and-

"PLEASE DON'T KILL ME-"

"SHUT UP!"

 

"...There we go! I just had to grab them and yell at them. I mean, seriously. You're so loud that you're even stopping my thinking. Oh, I didn't mean to say this outloud."

With a smile, I let them go since, after all, I am polite. Mmm-hmmm. Indeed, I am very noble. Now, onto the most important part.

"Shape, teach me how to do magic."

The Magic-Wielding Shape, even though I let them go, didn't say anything. I could definitely tell they were not non-moving, so I don't think they heard my question. Let me ask again.

"Teach me how to do magic," I repeated, pointing to their wand and then the now fixed Light wall with my tail, hoping to get the idea across.

"M-mmmumuh-agic? Wha?" The Magic-Wielding Shape replied. I have a feeling that this shape is dumber than the other ones. Maybe that is why the Light keeps them around with such a power? Or maybe it is why the other prey don't have magic? No...it must be the clothes! Yes, the clothes mark a magic-wielder! I am so very smart.

"Praise me Solace!"

Solace actually opened their eyes, surprising me. They actually responded for once!? Today is going gre-

"You're an idiot."

"........You lowdown scoundrel."

Solace responded by simply going away once again.

"....Oh you get yer eyes Back out here! You don't just get to annoy me, ruining my great day, then just go away! Aaarrrh. I don't have time for you."

After giving Solace a nice lesson, it is now time to learn magic.

"Now then. Teach me magic."

"Wh-w-what d-do you mean b-by ma-magic?"

I may be a bit too annoyed, but I am not feeling like I should wait for them to understand. So, I bit the air right in front of them, a couple of inches in fact, with my tail.

"Magic please," I told them again, deciding to give them a nice small with my eyes closed since, if they were open, I might just punch them since the Magic-Wielding Shape is very annoying.

The Magic-Wielding Shape looked around then seemed to get some kind of bright idea, going of their smell, and raised their wand.

"M-magic?"

"Yes!" I reply, giving them a nice bit of clapping that they finally became less dumb. I still will keep my eyes closed, though.

"H-here!"

Oh. They just handed me their wand. I thought they would have had a spare or something.

"Ooh! Shiny. Now, tell me how to use it."

Why are they giving me that look? I feel annoyed seeing it, and their face is still as shapeless as ever.

"Are you not going to tell me how to do magic?" I asked again, my voice a bit more of a growl than I wanted it to be. Guess I'm tired.

Huh? I smell that liquid again. Oh. So it does come from down there.

"T-There! I-I d-don't kn-know how to t-teach you m-magic! J-just take my R-My w-wand and l-let me Live!"

"Jeez. You shape and your let me live. What even is live anyway?" I asked, bored with them since they apparently can't teach me magic.

Oh wait. If they aren't prey yet can't teach me magic, maybe they will play with me?

"So...do you wanna play?" 

Ah. I sounded a bit too...what's the word? It isn't annoyed, or angry either. Hmmm. Ack, I really want to know-Oh. The Magic-Wielding Shape started screaming again, and now they're gone. Oh? The metal shape is still here. Wait, no, they're leaving too. Ah well. Yes, that's right! Ah Well, not oh well. Ah well sounds much better, don't ya think? Well, of course I think so! 

Oops. I let out another giggle. Wait, why am I saying oops for that? Ah well, it doesn't matter. I wonder when I'll see Mye again? Maybe, once I do, she'll tell me what she put on that piece of paper.

 

 

....

 

 

I cannot believe I am willing to, nor about to do this. Still, with her interaction with the Duke's daughter, Karma, only more questions have been raised than answered, and it seems the only way to do that will be to speak to Zenar 24 in person instead of through the intercom.

We have learned by now that she doesn't really respond much to the intercom. In fact, going off of yesterday's incident, I can confirm that Zenar 24 doesn't actually view the observation room and the people within as separate, but instead as some made-up entity called Light, which is referring to the bright light we have set up in the room. Then, there is the fact that Zenar 24 could apparently not see humans in details. Originally, it was believed that most Zenars couldn't see things well, hence why they have no idea if there is a bomb on someone's chest and run straight at them despite avoiding a bomb while it is on the ground. However, about three hundred or so years ago the Zenars stopped being so stupid, and those who had grudges against someone while they were alive would actively hunt them down. It seemed that the Zenars have evolved to see their 'prey' in detail. Yet for Ava here, she does not, or can't for anyone but Karma Mye Destin.

That leads to the last two questions. Why didn't she kill Karma Destin, and why did Zenar 24 say her name is Ava Kalesidia without ever hearing the name before? I always did think that the Zenar looked familiar, but now that she said her name, I cannot help but think she looks nearly identical to the President's dead daughter, Ava Kalesidia. However, that can't be possible. and a Zenar Splicer, if it got access to the body, would not make a copy but transform the dead body into a Zenar. I checked this morning and saw that her dead body was indeed still in the case, preserving her. 

Yet, not only is her name and looks exactly the same, except for the fact that she is a Zenar, even the way she behaves is very similar. Her habit of tilting her head a lot, replacing you with ya and replacing your with yer, and even the childish poses and innocent prideful behavior. Even her obsession with magic, which was just proven that the Zenar has, is present. The similarities are uncanny. There is a possibility that the Zenar Virus have made a new Zenar that can make a copy of a dead body, but the chances of that are unlikely. Then again, here is a Zenar that is seemingly a copy of Ava Kalesidia, and is different from any other Zenar discovered. 

I also have to take into consideration that the President clearly is aware of the strangeness of Zenar 24. He is, after all, the one that put me on the project, and I do keep him aware of each thing. Hopefully, I'll get some answers soon from him. Right now, I am about to get some answers by myself.

I'm going to interview a Zenar.

5