Chapter 04
136 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking at his bandaged right hand, he tried to move his fingers a little bit.

“Ow!” ‘That hurt.’

Yesterday night’s incident had earned him a bloody right hand and a few sore spots. Other than that, he was okay. Important thing is that Ada came out safe, she had a few bruises but nothing serious.

Creak. The door to his room opened and an old man barged in, a head full of short white hair, with a squarish face. This is not someone Markus sees very often. “Grandpa Abraham. How is Ada? Nothing to worry about?”

“Your sister is fine, she has already forgotten about her injuries. She is far too excited, talking about your powers kid. Well, it’s understandable, even I got a little roused when I heard the details about your fight. It's not everyday you get to hear about a five year old beating a ranker.”

Signing. ‘This is not a situation I really like to be in. I never wanted to draw any unwanted attention to myself.’ Markus knew with Ada being involved this will surely spread. He didn’t want to be known as a genius and cause people to be wary of him. That is the opposite of what he wanted. He may have to control the damage a little bit to guide his reputation back on track, as ‘a harmless geeky boy’.

“In this old life of mine I have travelled far and wide in this continent, but I have only heard about talent like yours once or twice. You should properly take advantage of your gifts Markus, this world is not an easy world to live.” While caressing his now lost hand he said to Markus.

Markus also directed his gaze to the missing limb, trying not to stare too much. Grandpa Abraham is a war veteran, went to war together with Markus’s grandfather. He had lost his arm along the way somehow.

As far as Markus knew the old man didn’t have any family left, that’s why he is here with Markus’s family now. Looking after them while his grandfather is away.

He is a silver ranker, the only silver ranker in the household. In a city where there is only one Gold ranker he is enough of a deterrence. He usually stays in the back of the house in a little shed. Rarely does Markus see him as he has asked not to be disturbed. Only in exceptional situations like this does Markus get to meet him.

“Yes Grandpa Abrahama, I will train hard without slacking off.” Markus answered like an obedient boy.

“Just hard work will not be enough to walk the path of a ranker, you will need guidance. Guidance from proper masters. I know you have a dream to become a mage, but your last night’s performance also shows you have talent for a physical class. And frankly I believe you can tread far more easily in a physical class than being a mage”

“This…. I will think about it…” Markus replied sheepishly.

This did not elicit a response from the old man right away, he just kept staring out of windows for a while before finally saying. “Markus, I know you’re a special kid and a very smart one. You have viewed this world with a very different perspective since you were young. So I want to believe that you understand the consequences of the decisions you make, even now, as a youngster.”

“I know that you had your reservations about joining the mage society, but if you want to be a mage and don't want to join the mage society that means you are against it. Even if you don’t see it that way, that will how the mage society will view you, especially if you become a powerful mage.”

“Markus my boy, your future will be not easy if that happens.” finally turning around looking straight at Markus he said, “Think very hard before every decision you make.” As he said that sentence his eyes seemed to contain deep wisdom of life.

“Alright enough of this old man’s rambling on, rest up now, if you want me for something you can find me anytime you want”. Leaving his last line he went out.

As the old man was at the Markus said “Grandpa Abraham, don’t tell Ada about how serious my hand is, she will just feel bad about it and sulk for days.”

Turning around from where he was, he looked at Markus with an unreadable expression and just said ‘fine’ and went out.

After the old man went out, Markus thought deeply about what he said. Markus already knew he will have to go against the mage society at some point in the future. But he never thought how seriously mage society takes rouge mages. ‘Will the mage society really be hell bent on getting rid of me if I don’t join them and become a powerful mage.

But he knew there were mages outside of mage society, usually the league and the chamber have powerful mages of their own. Maybe they are also in the same situation, having to sign heavily restrictive contracts.

Sign, what should I do? Maybe I could find some middle ground, not the two extremes of being a mage or not being a mage’. As Markus was thinking there was a soft knock on the door, turning around he found Ada.

“Ada? Are you well enough to be walking around?” Ada was in a loose gown, more like a hospital gown, with some kind of green paste smeared on her bruises.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Doctor said everything will be fixed automatically in a day or two, nothing serious. How are you? Your hand? Uncle Lewis told me it was pretty bad.”

“It’s nothing serious, it will heal soon.”

An awkward silence followed, well not awkward for Markus just Ada.

Finally clearing her throat, “I’m sorry about last night, I didn’t think things through…. But it was fun right? I never had an intense fight like that while training, it got me all pumped up on adrenaline. What do you think of my last technique, I call it ‘The Twister.’ Cool name right? I’ve been training my ass off last week to perfect that technique, I think it came out pretty good. Master Lambert has been saying that because I’m wind affinity I have to be faster in everything I do, but I never had a powerful technique with a lot of fire power, that’s how I came up with the twister. And, and you markus, you were so freaking cool! When you started glowing and when your hair started floating upwards, it was like you were dancing with lightning, and that last technique, that mana ball, even now remembering it I feel the chills I felt at that moment. We’ll defini-” “ahem ahem, why are you staring at me like that?” Seeing the stare that Markus was giving her her rant stopped.

“What were you even thinking last night Ada? Someone could have been seriously injured, you know. That, last was not fun you know, I was fighting for my life and you could have gotten hurt even more. If you want to have a spar we can do that, but never again something like that, okay? You have to promise me.” Markus chided Ada, his voice louder than usual.

“Okay okay, I promise. You don’t have to shout about it, I know I was reckless”. Ada apologised while looking pitiful.

“I can’t believe you got uncle lewis onboard with your crazy idea.”

“He he! He probably didn’t think two brats like us fighting would cause such havoc”. Ada said while giggling.

“Now leave me alone, I want to rest. Oh, and if you see Ramen tell him to come find me?”. Markus said while shooing Ada away.

“Rest well Markus, we’ll have a another go when you're all well.” Ada said while smirking. “Ramen? I don’t think he’s here today. Uncle Lewis also told me that he came bruised up a couple of times, maybe he’s gotten into some trouble?”.

Bruised up? I’ll have to check on him, he’s not the type of kid to get into trouble.

After Ada left, Markus seriously started to ponder about his future options. He knows that he wants to be a mage, he will never reconsider that. But will he really have to sign in with the society? As a man who really likes his freedom, he didn’t like having his freedom restricted. But if he wants to be a mage that is not shackled by any contracts, it will not be an easy road ahead.

Pinching the bridge of his nose, he started to consider his options.

This won’t do, I don’t have enough information. If I want to see any viable options beyond the mage society I have to find if it can be done. I’ll go to Mister Eckbert’s shop tomorrow and talk with him.

What should I do?’. He couldn’t do any spell testing as him mana channels were stretched to the limit last night, it would not be healthy to stress them anymore.

Should I read a book or something?’. He thought while eyeing the books on his shelf. There wasn’t any book here that he hadn’t already read. But with all the free time he has now, he wasn’t sure what to do.

God, I really don’t have life besides magic now’. Markus groaned on his bed, trying to get into a better sleeping position.

 


Next day, as Markus was on the way to Mr. Eckbert’s place, he noticed an acquaintance of his.

On the side of the road sitting behind a small stall selling medicinal herbs was a little girl. She wore a brown one piece that was way too big for her, with unkempt hair and very haggard straw sandals.

When the little girl saw Markus coming towards her, she greeted him happily while getting up.

“Uhhkass”

“Hello to you to Emma”. Markus replied with a smile of him own.

Then pointing to a herb in the stall he asked, [ How much for the Prancing Laceflower? ]

Reading the hand signs of Markus, Emma replied, [ you can take it, no need for money ].

Emma picked up the herb and gave it to Markus. He didn’t deny it, just that unseen to Emma he put two silver coins where she sat earlier. Whatever she or others say about her pride or about pitying her, she really needs the money. He knew that money may even decide whether she will have a meal today or not.

After handing the herbs, she asked, seeing his bandaids [ did you get injured? ].

[ yes, my sister beat me up. ] He said while showing a pitiful smile.

[ That can’t be, I know Markus is really powerful. Tell me the truth. ]

[ It’s true, she really beat me up, I am not some powerful guy as you think ]

[ like I’ll believe you ] She said while puffing up her cheeks.

[ How is your mother now? Is she well? ]

Seeing the question, her smile died down, although Markus could see her efforts to not show it.

[ She’s better now thanks to your help. But mother is not trying to get better, she is always going back to the bad stuff. ] Now her eyes are wet.

‘Idiot’. [ Don’t worry Emma, when she sees her little girl working so hard to get her better she’ll come to her senses. ] Markus said while trying to salvage the situation.

But seeing the tears building up in her eyes, he knew he had failed. Now she will keep building it up until he is out of her sight to let it all out.

Haah, way to go Markus.’ [ I am going to meet a friend, it’s already getting late so I’m going. Tell your brother I said hello. ]

“Bye!”

“Bah bahi”

He could hear her ‘bye bye’ until he turned a corner into an alley.

Trying not to be seen, he stuck his head out a little bit later, to see what she is doing.

Heh, She’s a strong girl.’ With a smile on his face, he headed for his destination.

1