Chapter 3- Horns maketh man
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time remaining in development stage: 00:54:42

 

I found out really quickly that I wasn't gonna be breaking the system anytime soon, for now at least. The little information I had access to just wasn't enough to form any concrete understanding or plans that I could use to make the system my b*tch. System: 1, Jeremy: 0.

I didn't let it get me down, however, and I spent most of the following hours trying my best to remember any survival tips and tricks. Maybe those late-night hours I spent binging house building and survival videos would finally come in handy... But alas, it would be 5 hours before I could do anything else, and I sincerely hoped that the little bastard Ashby wasn't playing with me again.

Time continued to count down, but my anxiety and fear of the unknown were building with every second. I admit that initially, I was probably in a state of shock, and that was the reason why I was so easily able to accept and believe the crazy reality I now found myself in. But the more time I spent with myself I felt that acceptance slowly unraveling, I was in a fantasy novel Goddamnit!

Magic was real, and what I saw was probably only just the tip of the iceberg. I imagined being able to wield power equivalent to a modern nuclear warhead, and being able to completely obliterate cities... Yeah, this is nuts. I 'felt' Ashby return before my mind could run out of control any further, however.

"Blasted moderators always ruining my fun." I heard the imp grumble almost imperceptibly.

'Hey, Ashby can you answer a few of my questions?'

"Can't do this can't do that, scre- Oh Jeremy! Sorry about that, I had some 'corporate' issues, glad to see you're still alive and sane though."

'... wait- I could have died?'

"Right! Questions! I'm here to help my boy, Shoot."

'... Well, I was wondering what are Skills?'

"Good question! Really shows that you're paying attention. Skills are like the bread and butter of the system. Let's say your stats are like your body, the way in which you're perceived by the world around you. Skills are the tools that you would use to interact with the world around you. For example, you have a really high agility stat, of course, you would be that much faster than everyone else but the usage of that agility would be unrefined."

'Oh! I think I get it, so skills amplify your stats and translate them into a more refined form?' just like in video games...

"Another brownie point! You just missed out a small bit, skills don't only amplify your stats, they can convert them as well. For example, a strength-related skill would only activate and operate based on your strength stat but could work by giving you a boost to let's say endurance. That brings me to the next topic actually, the stats that are available to you now, are only those available to all lifeforms just being indoctrinated into the system. There are quite a few others you could unlock based on what you do and your class."

'Hmmm, that reminds me. I checked my Class but it said unavailable, is that because I can't gain one?'

"Well yes and no. Your 'Class' is one of the more unique ones throughout the entirety of the system. Other lifeforms would normally have to go through a 'Class quest' to be given one, but you're granted one directly from birth. However, the downside with that particular 'Class' is that you won't be able to change it as others can, you'll be stuck with it until you die..."

Damn, I really wanted to play as a Paladin or maybe an Archmage and marry a princess or two after saving the kingdom. Heh, who am I kidding, I'm getting ahead of myself, I should just be focusing on surviving in the short term. All grandiose hopes and dreams could be saved for after- Hehehe...

"On the upside, however, your class is much much stronger and much more versatile than any other class. And heh, I'll give you a little spoiler, it's a ruler type class, so you could eventually establish and be the monarch of your own kingdom!"

Hohhh- That's even better! I'd be a king and rule over lands and my people and lead them to wealth and prosperity. I was getting even more riled up for this than ever, the last 15 minutes in this prison seeming like an eternity now. A prison holding me back from my destiny to rule!

"I could be a king?!'

"Hehe, don't get too excited now, you could always die before you're even close to establishing a kingdom. Plus, there will be rival factions that wouldn't appreciate someone encroaching on their territory, not to mention countless hostile tribes and challenges you'll face."

Ashby's words were logical enough to quench my burning desire to be a king. Looking at the timer once more, I found myself with 2 minutes remaining before I would be fully thrust into my new reality.

"Oh by the way, within the last minute of the developmental stage, your consciousness will be sucked inwards and you can make minor customizations to your form. Don't be afraid and don't waste time either, you'll be able to make changes that could decide whether or not you see tomorrow. For example longer claws, but I suggest you-"

His voice started getting further and further away but the last thing I heard him say was "-Magic! Invest in horns!" and then it cut off. A second later I found myself looking at a white figure. I focused on it for a moment and it morphed and twisted and its height extended a few feet until it stopped at a height of about 6 ft 7.

I saw its facial structure slowly shift until I was looking at a carbon copy of myself. Remembering that my time was limited, I didn't make too many changes to my face, other than the occasional broadening or sharpening of edges until I was at least a solid 8 in the face department.

Satisfied with my work I moved to analyze the rest of my body. I remembered the imp's words about magic and although I had reservations about 'investing in horns', I couldn't resist the temptation of possibly being a superhero, but it was easier said than done. For starters, I didn't have any reference to making alterations to my body and it wasn't like I could just imagine changes into existence... right?

Well, there was no harm in trying, so visualizing a pair of ram horns that spread apart from another as it lengthened before curving downward around 7 inches tall; I watched in wonder as the extremity grew rapidly from the crown of my head. I noticed, however, that as a result of adding the horns to my head my features became even more refined and I now looked devilishly handsome. In addition, my originally bland pair of inky-black eyes had become a striking crimson color.

Looking into the eyes that were no longer my own, I felt myself being lost in them... In those eyes, I saw everything I was and everything I could be, and a second later I found myself moving toward them with increasing speed. 'This is me now' were my last thoughts before colliding with myself and everything fell into darkness.


"Isn't it beautiful Nyla? A new world being exposed to the Ether isn't a sight many are privileged to" a deep rumbling voice came from beyond the vast expanse of outer space.

"I find myself being unable to disagree with you Olen, but this beauty is short-lived. Soon, countless lives will be lost and rivers of blood will flow to accommodate our selfish agendas." a sonorous and soothing yet distant voice responded from another side of the expanse.

"You know better than any of the other Overseers how untrue that is Nyla. The Creep grow stronger with each world they infest and they've overrun many much much more capable than this. We bring with us an opportunity for this young world to escape their grasp, the gains we receive from this are inconsequential in turn."

"Bah! An opportunity!? We bring death, Olen!! If not for our intervention, this world may have had another few millennia of peace outside of their reach- but now? I can already feel their attention extending towards this world, no matter how slow- we have doomed them!" the deep voice chuckled in response to the other's outburst.

"Oh Nyla, you've always been a bit a little soft around the edges. A few millennia of peace? Don't be delusional! They'd be doomed either way! At least now they have a chance to fight against their inevitable fate. How many worlds have been lost to them because of maintaining this false peace?!? How many more would need to be lost for you and all the rest to see there is no peace as long as they still exist!!" the sonorous voice went silent upon hearing the flaring indignation present in the other's tone.

"Don't you speak to me about peace! How much I would have given for my world to be acclimated a few centuries earlier- Nay, a few decades would have been enough time for us to take hold of our destiny!! But we were denied that opportunity all because of some convoluted sense of morality!!" the space around the voice was practically oscillating with fury.

"... I didn't mean it like that Olen- I-I apologize.." guilt laced deep within Nyla's voice.

"Hmph! It matters not. An overseer cultivated in the inner cosmos would never understand the perils of the fringes- This conversation is over." with that declaration the presence opposite to Nyla disappeared completely.

"Sigh... I'll never let that happen to this world- No matter what it takes, I'll make sure that tragedy doesn't repeat itself here.." A pair of bright emerald eyes flickered into existence and focused on the earth before slowly fading away with that solemn promise...


 

'Ughh- what's with me and passing out lately' I thought idly while stretching my arms, 'What the- Why can I move?'. Testing to see if my earlier movements were a trick my mind was playing on me I stretched my body in its entirety. Although there was some resistance to doing so and I found my hands coming into contact with a layer of something, which could only be my shell. It wasn't as bad as earlier when I was trying to move, however, and casting my attention to the blinking notification in front of me I found the reason.

 

Time remaining in development stage: 00:00:00

Guess it was time to make like an egg and hatch- or whatever the saying was. Reeling in my limbs, I struck the shell with a light blow to test the waters but seeing as it didn't even budge I put more force behind my next punch. I heard a crunching sound that grew more pronounced with each attack and my building excitement allowed me to harness even more strength.

A moment later the crunching evolved into a loud CRACK and I found myself falling fist first through a hole in my prison. Opening my eyes that I had only now realized were closed I was debilitated for a brief moment by the bright light around me. I recovered quickly enough, however, but the weird scenery around me still left me flabbergasted.

The glowing magma pit I had seen the egg in, I was now standing right beside. The heat from it was non-existent, which I found extremely disconcerting and weird- the novelty of a 'human' hatching from an egg completely forgotten.

"Ah, finally my dear Jeremy- I was wondering if you had been a dud" Ashby's voice came from my right and my eyes immediately wormed my way to face him. "Oh my- it seems you've made quite the changes..."

"Uh- no- I- the horns made me look like this, I didn't do it..." an unreasonable wave of embarrassment washed over me, as I heard the imp's chuckling voice. "..Sure it did... Well, it's good to see that you listened to my instructions- a fine pair you've grown young lad. Now follow me, let's get this party started!"

I watched as Ashby zoomed by me and into a tunnel I hadn't seen initially while contemplating if the imp had thrown a jab at me or not. Heh- as I inspected my naked body I marveled at my work, I made sure I had the finest pair!

1