Chapter Six: What Happened on Saso
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

TRIGGER WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS DEPICTIONS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT PROCEED WITH CAUTION

Indra curled into a ball in the far corner of the room, placing her head on her knees. Even isolated and far away from every object in the room, she could feel his touch on her skin. Each point of contact from her clothes– her own hands – made her skin crawl. 

 

She could feel Jacque’s poisoned claws tracing each curve of her body, deep enough to hurt, shallow enough not to kill. Sobbing, Indra drew her knees closer, willing it away, knowing it wouldn’t go. 

 

You’re stronger now. He can’t hurt you. He’ll never hurt you again. 

 

Then why did every anniversary of this betrayal make her relive that cursed place? Indra gripped her skirt, clenching and unclenching her hands repeatedly. No one would betray her. No one would hurt her. She trusted everyone in the mansion with her life–right?

 

Akio is stronger. If she wanted to, she could break you. 

 

The nasty voice in the back of her mind made it all flood back, sweeping her away with the current intent on drowning her in misery. 

 

….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. …..

 

Seven years ago, Treamor 

 

How much longer would she be hiding here? Cozbi said that Layla would be here. Indra, then known as He’mi, adjusted herself in the small closet. If the patrol found her–no, they wouldn't. She was quiet. Invisible. Gripping the dagger in her hand tighter, she assured herself that if anything happened, she’d fight her way out. Footsteps approached her location. Excitement almost made her burst through the closet. It had been two years since she’d seen her sister. She couldn’t wait to envelope her in her arms. 

 

“She’s in here? The weapon's sister?” a low rumbling voice asked. 

 

He’mi swallowed. That wasn’t Layla. She gripped the hilt of the knife tightly. What was going on? 

 

The familiar limping clank of Cozbi’s cybernetic approached her hiding place. “Yes, baby sister to the weapon. They are quite close. Your lowers said that would fetch quite the price. I want to see it first.” 

 

They’d been traveling together for five years, what was he doing? He'mi needed to run. She needed to escape. She placed her hand on the closet door. It didn’t move. He'mi tried again. Nothing. Frantically, she hacked at the wood with the knife. She had to get out. She had to escape. 

 

The low voice laughed. “She seems feisty. Let’s take a look.” 

 

Blistering pain from the direct sun exposure traveled up her arms as she was pulled out of the closet by her oi’ek. He'mi thrashed around, stabbing blindly. “Let me go!” 

 

Cozbi’s cybernetic arm whirled as he clenched his hand closed. Burning agony shot from He'mi’s oi’ek to her head, making her skull pound. She stabbed the dagger into the weak point of his cybernetic. The grip released. He'mi fell to the ground, twisting her ankle and snapping it. Scrambling to her feet, she cried out, her leg giving out beneath her from the throbbing agony.

 

“Forgot to mention,” Cozbi said, his fist slamming into her stomach. 

 

Burning pain stole the breath from He'mi’s lungs, each inhale was agonizing. Why would he do this? Why would he hurt her? Betray her? She bit her trembling lip to keep from sobbing. He didn’t deserve to see her suffer. No one would see her tears. . 

 

“She’s fragile.” 

 

Sharp, pointed claws traced her body from her chest to her thigh. “Pretty little thing, aren’t you? I’ll take her.” 

 

He'mi slapped his claws away. “Don’t touch me, you starshit.” 

 

The man laughed. “Love the spirit you have, little one. Let’s see how long you keep it.” There was a veiled threat beneath those words. 

 

He'mi gritted her teeth. She refused to show him fear. No one ever would, no matter what happened. The sound of clinking coins sounded to the right. Cozbi didn’t–he couldn’t. But he did. He'mi clenched her hands into trembling fists. “How could you Cozb–” 

 

“I’ve wasted enough time with you. All you care about is yourself, selfish bitch.” His cybernetic whirled when he grabbed her chin. “It’s about time you learned your place in this world,” Cozbi spat.  “You are nothing.” 

 

Had he always thought that of her? He'mi growled. After everything she’d done, stolen, broken, for him, this was how he repaid her?

 

“Send me holo recordings, then we’ll have one of the commander’s weapons in our pocket,” Cozbi stated, his voice taking on a prideful edge. 

 

Layla. 

 

Outnumbered, and likely outgunned, there was not much He'mi could do. Nowhere to run in a place she didn’t know. Her hand settled on a partially buried, metal shard. That didn’t mean she couldn’t do damage. To others, and herself. They would hold nothing over Layla if she was dead.

 

“Cozbi. Since I likely won’t see you again, there’s something I need to tell you,” He'mi stated, gripping the shard tightly. 

 

He snorted. “And what is that?” 

 

He'mi rolled quickly toward him, stabbing between his legs and jerking the shard up his natural body to his abdomen. “Fuck you.” 

 

Cozbi screamed, collapsing to the ground with a loud clang. 

 

Hands wrapped around her waist. He'mi slashed in an angled arc. She wouldn’t let them take her alive. Falling free of the man’s grasp, she did an awkward hop forward and placed the metal shard at her throat. 

 

I love you, Layla. When you find my corpse, I hope you understand why I had to do this. 

 

The metal scarcely pierced her flesh when a hand closed around her wrist. Agonizing pain stole her breath with the crackle of her bones in the attacker's grip. “Did you think a stunt like that would save you, little starshit?” the man from earlier asked, ripping the shard from her grasp and slicing her palm. 

 

He'mi bit her lips, the taste of iron gracing her tongue. No matter what. He wouldn’t see her cry. She wouldn’t stop fighting him. He threw her over his shoulder. He'mi’s ribs screamed as she slammed into it . “She’s not going to care. Weapons are heartless. Let me go!” 

 

He'mi flailed, she didn’t know where she was going. She couldn’t feel her surroundings. She placed a hand on the skin of her captor’s arm. Lust, greed, and satisfaction pulsed from the contact. He'mi threw up. The grip shifted, throwing her through the air. Shattering pain traveled across her skull. All turned silent. 

 

….. ….. ….. …..

 

Saso

 

Everything hurt. Fuzziness that refused to leave made it an effort to lift her head. The pain pulsing in the back of her skull nearly brought her to tears. He'mi rolled to her side. Chains jingled, tightening shackles around her wrists and neck. She gasped from the pressure on her broken wrist, her stomach rolling. 

 

They were going to use her against Layla. She had to escape. No one would use her like that. Despite the situation, He'mi’s lips tugged into a small smile. At least Cozbi got his due, that starshitted fucker. She hoped he would suffer for the rest of his lizzassed life. 

 

He'mi sat upright. The shackle around her neck stabbed into her flesh like a hundred tiny needles. Searing agony traveled from the pierce wound and down her body, as if it were burning a path of fire beneath her skin. He'mi cried out, falling back to the ground. What the starshit was that? She writhed, unable to escape the pain, only making it worse by stabbing the needles in again. 

 

A door swung open, proceeded by footsteps. “Why do you keep fighting, little lovely? You’ll never be strong enough to fight anyone.” 

 

There was a sharp pain in He'mi’s arm. The pain stopped. Her chest heaved, cold sweat covering her body and dripping down the sides of her face. “It doesn’t matter what you do to me. Layla won’t help you.” 

 

Claws tilted her chin upward, almost causing the needles near her neck to stab again. “Everyone has a price. Family is worth more than the world's most prized jewels.” 

 

He'mi cackled madly. “Then you know nothing about my family. Layla left me to die, just like everyone else. ‘Family is worth more than the world’s most prized jewels’ my Se’li ass.” 

 

“You dare mock me, when you’re the one in chains?” the man asked. There wasn’t anger in his tone, simply curiosity. “Does it make you feel better?” 

 

What kind of a question is that? 

 

“Yes, mockery and sarcasm make my broken bones painless,” He'mi said coolly. 

 

The man’s fingers lightly traced her jaw. “You’re different, He'mi. You hide your fear. I like that. It makes you appear strong when you’re deathly afraid.” 

 

Jerking her head to the side she sank her teeth into his hand. Warm blood oozed onto her lips. She tore a chunk of flesh and spat it at his face. “I don’t fear you. Don’t. Touch. Me.” 

 

There was no pain filled cry. No angry backlash. Just chilling, unpredictable silence. He'mi almost missed him talking just to know where he was. Unlike others, his breathing was silent. 

 

“That hurt.” 

 

“No starshit, lizzass.” 

 

“I’m Jacque. Since we’re going to be seeing a lot of each other, you may as well know my name.” He pinned her arms, leaning in toward her ear. “You’re never going to forget it.” 

 

He'mi’s hearts hammered in her chest. She didn’t like how close he was, and how vulnerable she felt. “Already forgotten, Jack.” 

 

“Whether you care to know or not, I’m going to tell you why you are here,” Jacque declared, his breath fanning her neck. 

 

Everything in He'mi was revolted at this contact. She wanted to run. To get away, but she was trapped. There was nowhere to go, no one to save her. “Awww are you going to start your stupid, evil monologue where you reveal all your plans to try to strike fear into my hearts? I’m trembling in my chains.” 

 

Jacque scoffed. “There’s no reason to be rude.” 

 

“Says the starshit that broke my bones and chained me to a bed,” He'mi hissed. “Is that not considered rude where you are from? Planet of the Trashy Pieces of Fucked - Up Starshit?” 

 

Strained laughter peeled from his lips. “Stop interrupting me–”

 

“Then stop talking.” 

 

Growling, Jacque placed his still bleeding hand over her mouth, clamping it tightly around her jaw to prevent her from opening her mouth. “The Commander’s haven’t taken kindly to my little operation–at least, the ones who don’t appreciate my girls,” Jacque whispered. “Your sister knows where we operate.” His hand traveled down the side of her body, resting on her thigh. “We can’t have her letting the others know our little secret, can we?” 

 

“Mmmph mmphmm mmhmmm,” He'mi said through his hand. 

 

Jacque released his hold. “What?” 

 

“Get off me,” He'mi cried, kicking him in the stomach and trying to pull the shackle off her neck. 

 

“This attitude of yours is getting annoying. You act as if you have a say,” Jacque spat. 

 

He'mi’s head snapped sharply to the side, her cheek stinging. He pulled her oi’ek, causing her head to spin. “You don’t.” 

 

Burning pain stabbed into her chest, ripping through her skin like glass shards, she screamed, trying to get away. He grabbed her shoulder, and straddled her body, pinning her in place. The agony didn’t stop, until he reached just above her pelvis. 

 

He leaned forward, his hot breath fanning her ear. “Smile for the camera, He'mi.” The man pressed his lips against hers, stealing what wasn’t his to take. He'mi tried to turn away. He jerked her arm to the side, snapping it. She cried out, choking on sobs. It was too much, she couldn’t hold it back anymore. The man grabbed her other arm. “If you cooperate it’ll be easier for you–most of the time.” Agony shattered from the sharp crack in the darkness.

 

Gooseflesh prickled at her skin with the sound of ripping fabric. He was taking her clothes. He'mi tried to pull her legs out from beneath his knees. This wasn’t going to happen. She wouldn’t let this happen.

 

Jacque released her wrist and grabbed her right knee. 

 

“No, no, no, stop, d-don’t–” 

 

Blinding agony enveloped her leg. He'mi’s body trembled with sobs. 

 

“I like the way it sounds when you break,” Jacque said, gripping her other knee. 

 

The world turned to silence following the sound of a crack. 

 

…… ….. ….. ….. 

 

Frigid liquid stole He'mi from her escape. She tried not to shiver. Pain throbbed from each injury with every motion made. 

 

“I want you awake for this.” Jacque grabbed her breasts. “All of it.” 

 

He'mi wished she could see. Wished to focus on anything other than the disgusting sensation of his hands on her skin. The pain. Silent tears slid down her cheeks. She was broken. Powerless. Useless. No words would form on her lips when she heard the jingle of his belt. There was nothing she could do. 

 

Burning pain tore through the lower half of her body as Jacque forced himself inside. Vomit rose up He'mi’s throat, spewing out her nose when he slammed into her harder. Each motion jarred her injured body, pushing her broken bones closer to the surface of her skin. 

 

If she had been faster, He'mi would’ve died. She wouldn’t be here. This was her fault.  

 

No one was going to save her. 

 

….. ….. ….. …… 

 

A year passed. A year turned into two. Layla never came, not that He'mi expected her to care. Some stupid part of herself had hoped for the barest moment that her sister would, or that someone would come and bring justice down on these bastards. After her fifth visit from another Commander, she’d given up hope. There was no justice when even the righteous were tainted by darkness. He'mi cocked her head to the side as the door creaked open. The footfalls weren’t his. They weren’t Jacque’s. There were no other sounds in the hall outside He'mi’s cell. 

 

The tiny whisper of hope tingled in the back of her mind. She snuffed it out. There was no sense in tormenting herself more than she already had. The only thing worse than physical agony was to hope and find yourself cast into disappointment when the truth of how little you matter settles in. No one in the universe would care enough to save her.  

 

“I’m here to–” a feminie voice started.

 

“Save me?” He'mi spat dryly. “Get out of here before he finds you.” 

 

The shackles around her neck and wrists released. It made her skin that had been beneath for so long feel naked in the metal's absence. If Jacque found this woman, He'mi didn’t want to know what he would do to her. “You need to run while you can.” 

 

Scoffing, the woman swept He'mi up into her arms. “It’s okay, Jacque is helping me rescue everyone. He said that some guy named Cozbi manipulated him into staying by holding his family hostage. After I get you out I promised to rescue his loved ones.”

 

He'mi broke out into a cold sweat. This was a mind game. Jacque was playing this poor ignorant fool. What was he planning? What was the fucked up starshit planning! He'mi threw herself out of the weapon's arms. “I don’t want to leave. Please go.” 

 

She wasn’t going to play. She didn’t want to play. Not after what happened last time. This was a trick, a dirty trick. He wanted her to hope again so he could crush her soul into pieces. He'mi wasn’t going to allow him the satisfaction. 

 

“I don’t understand,” the woman said, her voice sounded young. 

 

“Jacque is a liar he’s—“ Sharp pain stabbed into He'mi’s side, bringing her to her knees. 

 

“Why did you have to go and ruin the fun?” Jacque pouted, he twisted his claws embedded in her side. 

 

He'mi whimpered, praying to the stars that she would pass out, that unconsciousness, her only ally would come to her rescue. 

 

“Leave her alone,” the weapon hissed. The zing of a drawn blade echoed in the hall. “Why can’t I read you?”

 

Jerking the claws from He'mi’s side, Jacque laughed. “Is that the only thing you’ve been relying on? No evidence, no investigation? Just feelings and senses? Oh Six, what idiot sent a fresh weapon out of training to find me? Someone clearly hates you.” 

 

Senses. Was Six Se’li? He'mi pressed her hands against the wall, pushing to her feet. Who would send an inexperienced weapon to chase after a sex trader who has evaded them for years? Especially with Commander Hemec and others being frequent visitors. Unless they wanted Six to get caught—

 

He'mi took two steps forward, coming to Jacque’s side. She wasn’t going to let him destroy anyone else. Grabbing his hand she jerked it backwards and stabbed him in the abdomen with his own claws. He cried out, stumbling away. 

 

This time would be different. He'mi grabbed Akio’s hand, running the fastest her wounded body could carry her. The cool metal of the ship pounded against her bare feet like ice. She heaved, pressing her hand over the bleeding wound in her side. It would leave a trail. She needed to stop the bleeding. 

 

“Six, give me a shirt,” He'mi commanded, pressing her bloody hand against the wall. Protruding pieces of metal were oval-shaped, they were nearing the guards quarters. They’d have to pass it to get out. But if they alerted over one hundred guards, they may as well kill themselves now. 

 

“I have a better idea,” Six started. A rustling sounded from her direction. She was rummaging through a bag. “Here, this will seal it.” A cool vial settled in He'mi's hand. “You drink it. Tastes like starshit, but it works.” 

 

He'mi snorted, popped off the top, and downed it. A tingling traveled from her throat to envelope the rest of her body in a comforting warmth. Whatever this was began to mend injuries from two days ago that had yet to fully heal in addition to the new one on her side. “Fuck, this must be expensive.” 

 

“It is and—that’s my last one. We should be careful from here on out,” Six whispered. 

 

“Yes, let’s carefully sneak past where all the guards are gathered. Maybe we’ll only get a few laser wounds and mostly die,” He'mi spat, shaking her head. There had to be a better way. A different way. 

 

The hum of uncountable guns made He'mi freeze. It was too late. They probably prepared for this. Six had willingly been allowed in so that she would be caught. There was never a chance. The weapon beside her fell the the ground with a loud clang. Pain shattered across He'mi’s skull and all went silent. 

 

….. ….. ….. ….. ….. …… 

 

He'mi could feel fear pulsing through whoever’s hand she was holding. Six. Oh stars. This was bad. She tried to pull away, gritting her teeth when sharp metal tore at the flesh of her hand. Jacque had stabbed their hands together. The starshit. 

 

“I had a fun game planned for our guest. It would’ve been interesting for you too, He'mi, if you hadn’t ruined it,” Jacque stated, the clack of his boots on metallic stairs echoed through the room. 

 

Only one place on the spaceship sounded this way. They were fucked. It would be a mercy to kill Six now. The weapon closed her fingers, interweaving them with He'mi’s. “I’m sorry, but don’t worry. Someone is coming.” 

 

The flicker of hope wafting from Six made He'mi choke back a sob. How wrong this poor girl was. If only she knew how corrupted those in charge of her were. But He'mi didn’t have the heart to tell her, she didn’t want to take away the only thing Six had. “Okay, I’ll try not to worry,” she whispered. 

 

“I’m Se’li too, you know. I can tell you are lying. You don’t have to lie for me. But you’ll see, this won’t be your forever, I promise,” the weapon declared. 

 

“This won’t be our forever. I’m going to kick their asses, you’ll see!”

 

He'mi paused, a familiar energy flowing between them, one from long ago. “E’leka?” 

 

It couldn’t be. 

 

Surprise flickered through the emotional connection. “How do you know that na–” 

 

It was. 

 

“As much as I enjoy this boring banter, I didn’t come here to watch you two talk about whatever past you have,” Jacqued stated. “Even after all this time, you never seemed to have learned the most important lesson, He'mi.” 

 

“What is that, Starshit? Not to run? Because it sure seemed like you wanted me to,” He'mi hissed. 

 

Jacque’s hand wrapped around her throat, lifting her in the air. He'mi gasped, attempting to pry him off. 

 

“You’ll always be too weak and powerless to stop me. You should have played the game, He'mi. There was never another option,” Jacque said, dropping her to the ground. 

 

“There’s always another option,” He'mi whispered. “Defiance hurts more physically, but it always sets my mind at peace knowing that I haven’t given up, and I never will. Escape may be hopeless. Making your life starshit isn’t.” 

 

He'mi internally apologized when she ripped the metal shard stabbed into her and Sixs’ hand out. She slashed at Jacque. It was a miss. Why did she have to fucken miss? Jacque’s elbow came down on her spine. He'mi cried out, her legs giving out entirely. She couldn’t feel them. She couldn’t feel her legs! Despite it, she pushed up on her arms, weakly swinging the shard at his legs before collapsing to the floor. 

 

Starshit. 

 

Jacque laughed. “Goodluck doing that when you can’t walk.” 

 

The universe hated He'mi. If that had been a hit, she could’ve–what? Waited for him to strike a little later? It was over. Every spark of hate that had continually fueled her dissipated with the spreading numbness of her lower body. Breaking an arm, a wrist, leg, even collar bone hurt, but despite the pain–the agony, she could still use it. Now, she couldn’t. 

 

Grabbing her wrist, Jacque dragged He'mi back to where she had been sitting on the floor next to the table Six was on. He took the shard from her hand, hammering it at an angle through her wrist to Sixs’ palm. He'mi couldn’t summon the energy to cry. It didn’t matter what she did. Nothing would change. 

 

“Now, Six. I’m innocent, aren’t I? Why would you try to rob me of my precious, He’mi? That hurts,” Jacque pouted. 

 

“She doesn’t belong to you, Lizzassed prick. No one here does,” Six spat. “The Commanders are coming for you. They know where you are.” 

 

“Oh, I know they do, they always have. Why do you think I’ve stayed hidden for so long?” Jacque asked. 

 

Betrayal wafted from Six, cutting deeper than the fading hope He’mi sensed. “They would never, that’s wrong. I don’t believe you.” 

 

But He’mi knew she did. 

 

Good lie, E’leka. But not good enough for yourself to believe. 

 

He’mi grimaced when she felt the tearing of Sixs’ flesh across her chest. The poison would be entering soon. If only the stupid Se’li had run. None of this would have happened. 

 

Six screamed, writhing with the next strike. Blood splattered He’mi’s face. Jacque wasn’t going to stop. He was going to kill her. He was going to rip her apart. 

 

And there was nothing He’mi could do to stop it. 

0