Chapter Eleven: Out of the Fire into the Furnace (Unedited)
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Surrender, Six, we have you surrounded!" A crackling voice called above the bubbling lava.

Akio gripped her pistol tighter. Surrounded didn't mean defeated. Rolling forward on her shoulder, she came into a crouch and returned fire to seven assailants on her left. Each hit went through the guards chests'. Their red and grey, stony bodies fell into the lava behind them with a splash.

Diving forward, Akio dodged the next onslaught of laser fire. Starshit! If she had her other arm, they would've already been on their way out. Where the stars did Indra go? The sound that Fluffy made a few moments before screamed that she was in trouble, but Akio couldn't just thrown caution to the lava and leap around in the open. If she did that, it guaranteed her demise. Indra was a fighter, she'd be okay. . . Hopefully.

When Akio got up to return fire to those on her right, she froze. One of the guards wrapped an arm around Indra's throat, holding her in front of them like a shield. It was clear from her lack of life that Indra was unconscious. Starshit.

"What did you do? You bastard!" Akio cried, staying in place. She knew that if she moved, it would endanger her girlfriend. There was only one chance for this. Messing that up would guarantee their capture or worse, death.

The guard shrugged. "Just splashed a little lava, wasn't actually intending to hurt her." It was clear this fellow was on the younger side from the way that his lava outweighed the stone on his body. "I forgot that not everyone swims in it like we do."

Or at least, Akio thought he was. She couldn't remember if more stone meant older or if more lava meant older. "What do you intend to do to us?"

A large, towering, Lavarkin stepped out of the shadow of a volcano. They almost matched it in height and stature. Akio craned her neck backwards, observing the carved symbols on the being's bicep. This was the one in charge. Not just of the guards, but of the entire sector.

Great. Just wonderful.

The ground trembled with each step they took. Akio planted her feet into the ground to keep from falling over and holstered her gun. Those that had fallen in the lava got back out, new lava swirling around the hole that had been made by the laser. That—was not expected. Was there no way to take them out? Wait. Water. If Akio dosed them in water they'd turn to no more than stone statues, or at least, she theorized that's what would happen. She had no starshitted clue.

"Six." The leader squatted down, but still remained well over seven feet, perhaps eight. "I do not appreciate you corrupting those in my care and swaying them to steal things for you and the vigilantes." Growling, they reached out, wrapping their large hand around Akio's torso and lifting her into the air.

Akio grimaced as the hot stone burned her skin beneath her clothes. It was like grabbing a cookie pan without an oven mit, except, it was giving you a full body hug. "Corrupting wouldn't be the word I'd use. They are simply helping those they know are doing the right thing."

They clenched their hand painfully tight around Akio. "It's not the right thing when it will bring the destruction of the commander's against us and everything we love. All it takes is one, even if I don't support them, doing things for you and we're all condemned. Do you understand the gravity of what you are doing? You used to be a weapon for them. I'd think you'd realize just how one-sided this fight is. Your group doesn't stand a chance, just like we wouldn't stand a chance."

"We only don't stand a chance because we haven't united with others. With more troops, weaponry, and supplies, I'd say we have a ten percent chance of winning," Akio stated cooly. "And if we don't, we've still done damage and showed the rest of the galaxy that standing up for what is right, no matter the cost, is a worthy cause to die for."

"You would condemn your family and friends to death with a low percentage of living?" The leader asked, his molten eyes flaring. "Unlike you, I care about those I have sworn to protect and lead. I would never start a war in hopes that two out of the entire sector would live to enjoy the victory."

"Is life worth living if you have to constantly look over your shoulder, wondering if you're the next target?" Akio spat. Yes, there would be a lot of casualties. That was how it worked in war. This Akio knew and that is why she gave others an out. If she faced other weapons, she would do the same.

The leader shook their head, turning toward the guards below. "Let the Commander know we have Six in our possession. The sooner we end this, the better."

Starshit. Once the Commander came, they were dead. He would kill her himself without hesitancy. There had to be a way out of this. Akio attempted to wriggle out of the leader's hand. They squeezed harder, making it difficult for Akio to breathe.

"Don't think I'd let you escape. You're not going anywhere," the leader stated, walking toward the volcano behind them. "Bring the girlfriend, they can both go in the holding cell until the Commander gets here." The Lavarkin looked down at Akio, the flames that were their eyes narrowing. "Just to ensure you don't cause any further trouble." He grabbed her natural hand and forearm between his fingers.

Starshit. Akio's hearts pounded against each other in her chest. This was going to fucken suck.

The leader closed his grip slowly. Akio screamed as the pressure increased, crushing her bones with a sickening crackling sound. It was like her entire arm was on fire while being split apart with knives. The last thing to cloud her vision were flames before darkness enveloped her in a welcome numb.

... ... ... ... ... ... ...

"Akio. Get up," Indra's voice wafted through the darkness, bringing Akio back with a constant, throbbing agony.

Exhaling sharply, Akio waited for her eye to adjust to the dim lighting. "I don't want to wake up," Akio croaked. "Let me sleep."

"No. We need to get out of here before—"

The sound of footsteps cut off Indra's words.

It was too late.

"After all this time, I never thought simpleton's like you would be the ones to find the rogue weapon," a familiar voice stated.

Wait.

That wasn't the Commander.

Akio lolled her head to the side, glancing between the bars as she waited for whoever spoke to come close enough for her to get a confirmation of their identity. The footsteps halted just out of her line of sight.

"I thought I told you she wasn't to be damaged," the voice said harshly. "Do you want me to rain down ice on sector five? Hmm? My instructions were quite clear."

"Y—you never told us that, we just heard the announcement where you were coming and those harboring her would be killed or worse. There was no mention of no harm. Besides, that weapon tried to kill several of my guards, this is only a mild return of the favor," the leader said with a scoff.

Taking another step forward, the 'Commander' came into Akio's line of sight.

Hawke.

Akio hated just how much he looked like the Commander when dressed up in the official uniform of the commanders. It was terrifying as much as it was a relief he was able to impersonate him.

"Unlock the cell," Hawke said, in an authoritative tone.

"No! I refuse to go with you. You piece of Lizzassed starshit," Indra hissed, clearly having noticed who it was and only seeking to put on a believable show. She grabbed an unused chain and lashed out at the bars, nearly striking Hawke in the face.

Four 'weapons' came up alongside Hawke and waited for the cell door to be opened. They fetched Indra and Akio wordlessly. Akio cried out from the movement as it made her arm hurt so much worse. That was when she noticed the charred skin on Indra's back. Starshit. Hopefully all of this would be fixable. Otherwise, that burn would have done permanent nerve-damage.

"Thank you for your service to your sovereigns, Gelick," Hawke said with a salute before he marched down the hall and motioned for the others to follow.

Additional footsteps sounded in front of them. "What do you mean I'm already here? What the fuck are you talking about?"

Starshit. This just went from worse to worse. It was foolish for Akio to have attained hope for even a moment.

Hawke immediately did an about face. "Let's go the other way."

Gelick stepped forward to block their exit, his towering, stony figure taking up the entire hall. "I'm not letting you go anywhere until we sort out who the real Commander is."

Laughing, Hawke cocked his head to the side, his eyes filling with a blood-thirsty madness. "That's not going to happen. Gelick. Get out of my way."

"No."

Hawke pulled a weird looking weapon from his pocket, pressing the trigger to thrum it to life. "Then perish."

0