Chapter 1: How it started
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of an alarm blaring loudly can be heard in a cheap apartment room in the middle of the city of Jakarta, Indonesia. The one occupant of the room, Farran, is also contending with his alarm by snoring loudly. Hours goes by without a sign of him waking up but one particularly harsh sounding horn from a bus outside finally jolted our guy awake. He looked to his side where his phone is, and saw three missed alarm about one hour ago.

'Fuck, that horn is loud' thought Farran groggily. He started walking to the shower with slow unsteady step while opening the curtain of his window on the way.

Living in a cheap apartment just by the road does that to you, especially if you live in the first floor no less. But what can he do, he still lives of his parents's money and he really don't want to relly living from their pocket anymore. He already feel like he have a huge debt to his parent, not that they will think of it that way. From their perspective, Farran is their responsibility, and not just because that but also because his parents loves him so much as their child by blood, such is the general asian parents, and his is the same. 

'well at least mom is, I don't really now about dad, his hard exterior is really hard to read even if I've lived with them more than 15 years' he thought with a dry chuckle.

Maybe because his father was a special agent working for the government(not that anyone will believe him even if he told them) and his job demand a constant poker face, and as time goes on that literally become his normal face. And his mom is just a normal housewife, but was a teacher in a highschool in his hometown. She stopped working as a teacher when the responsibility of having three children catch up to her and she felt that she need to be home for Farran and his two siblings.

But that is a story for another time, back to Farran's living condition, that was the perspective of his parents. But for him, he feel indebted to them because he never really focused on his study, instead using money from his parents to buy things related to his hobby, which one of them is related to gaming. Once, he nearly buy a full set of gaming pc for his gaming needs in the apartment from the money given by his parents monthly and also his own savings, but thought better of it, he already have one in his home, or rather his parents home. But in the end the temptation is too tough and now he have an at least medium spec laptop just for casual gaming.

That is just one occasion he used the money from his parents inappropiately and when he neared his graduation, the guilt come full force when he realize he had almost wasted his life by not focusing and his study more, and that last year he swore to himself to more focus in graduating and getting life after that.

He couldn't forever just live off his parents, not only his parent would never allow it, but he also think that he could never have contained the shame of of living with his parents for the rest of his life leeching of their hard-earned money for himself.

Farran shook his head thinking of the memories and proceed to undress, he then turned on the shower, hot water flowed from the shower head and he sigh feeling it run down his body. 

'at least I still have hot water even with the cheap price of this place' 

Farran continued to shower while thinking random things untill one thought enter his mind that made him stood still with uncertainty, which is 'why does I have an alarm set up again?' 

"Oh shit!"  Farran said loudly while still rubbing his head with shampoo on it.

"I have a fucking interview today, that's why! Shit! I just blew another opportunity, again! aaARGH!"

So loud was Farran scream that suddenly he heard a hard knock from a wall where his neighbor direction is. 

'Right, cheap wall also, what is this? Plywood stacked together?' Farran again shook his head and his shoulder dropped ever so slightly feeling disappointed with himself yet again while thinking over the wasted interview. 

After shower he made his way to his cupboard and pick an underwear, a random shirt and a short for home-wear. While preparing himself a quick breakfast his phone started ringing an he picked it, seeing it was his friend Thomas he answered the phone saying "Sup?"

"Hey man, you free tonight? Wanna hang out with the boys at Darril's place? He got the new PS5 that just come out a few days ago, bring a few snacks and drinks and we got a party night just 'round the corner, shit I still can't believe it, did you know how hard it is to get one of those right now? It's literally imposs-"

"Whoa whoaa, calm down. Haah, it would have been a perfect night if I just get that interview that I was supposed to go a few hours ago. But now, I don't feel like it, really, I'm sorry man"

"Oh, right, look bro, I'm sorry you got a bad day, if I'd knew I woul-"

"It's fine, it's my fault anyway, I'll see you around buddy" Farran said while hanging up the phone

"Hey wait-" Farran can't hear the rest of what Thomas was saying but just put it out of his mind, instead to continue preparing his meagre breakfast of sunny side up eggs, a left over rendang from yesterday, and some rice.

After breakfast he didn't feel like doing anything productive because of his bad mood, and so he did his usual routine of wasting life away by watching tv and some casual gaming until night come. He broke his monotony when he decided to take a night stroll around the neighborhood of his apartment. Equipped with a gray hoodie, a headphone around his neck, his phone in his hoodie pocket, and the short from the morning, he came out of his room to slightly lit road in front. He started walking to the nearby park cause there's usually still some people at the park around this time of night. 

Turning around a corner, he couldn't help but feel that it was so quiet around him, usually there would still be some people around and some background noises present. But now the night is unusually quiet, Farran didn't really worry about it much and just chalk it up to his imagination. 

Suddenly when he was near the park he was heading to, he heard a loud and harsh car engine like one of those truck that still uses diesel engine. He look back and saw a goddamn fucking truck heading straight his way to the sidewalk.

"Fuck!" He cursed and look around frantically, and finally ran to his right where he saw a not so big alley. He jumped the rest of the way because he didn't feel like he could make it in time. 

"Oof, that hurts" said Farran while standing again while slightly out of breath, not a second after that he heard a sound of something big crashing againts the side of a building, and when he checked turned out to be the truck that was on its way to deliver his doom. What Farran didn't know was with how frightened his mind at the moment, was with how weird it was that there was still no people around even after a truck crushed through a building on the sidewalk.

He involuntary shiver in fright at what would've happened to him if he didn't pay attention while walking or if he was wearing his headphone with music blaring loudly in his ear. He felt weak to his knees and had the sudden urge to just stay still and lean on the building beside himself. He didn't think much of it because of the situation he found himself in. He closed his eyes, lean on the building and point his head upward while pondering nothing in particular, and the next thing he knew he felt unimaginable pain all over his body and the feeling of being pressed into the building came over him.

The last thought he had was with how he didn't even get the chance to scream as it was too quick, and wondering why he couldn't hear something coming for him.

Weirdly though, he somehow can hear a faint laughing sound coming from around him, but he paid it no mind because of the state of his being right now, or the lack there of.

'Was it another truck? With no sound? No diesel engine this time? Why is it so quiet though? Was it the adrenaline? And WHY the fuck am I thinking about this right now? WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE! How can I still thought about all this? Am I not dead yet? But I felt my body getting crushed' 

He shiver again remembering the feeling of seconds ago getting hit by something to a building.

'I feel no pain anymore, I'm feeling angry and confused at the same time. Oh my fucking god this is so fucking weird, what is happening to me? What is this? Where am I? Why can I still think? Am I in a coma? Is this what it feels like? Just trapped in my own mind, forever, like this.. 

No.. no.. it can't be! I have to wake up! I'm not gonna stay here anymore, where ever this is!  Please! Someone, save me.. wake me, just.. do something..'

~~~

Farran continue to ramble something.. anything that he could think of, he was also pretty sure that if he had a body right now he would be shaking madly and hyperventilating. But alas, that was not to be, as his being now was just a soul in some dimension created by someone, some higher being never thought of being real by the majority of the people of Earth. Which is a goddess, but she herself wouldn't have think of it that way, she is just humble that way. Although many people from her original planet certainly would've think that her being a goddess was just another fact of life.

The Goddess, Marika, continue to watch as the soul of Farran Mura, a human of Earth rambling some inane things that even she couldn't understand at this point.

Finally she sighed, and with a wave of her hand change the entire scenery of the dimention to the exact same copy of Farran's apartment, that action stopped the soul's rambling, and with a final sigh Marika said tiredly while slightly feeling guilty, JUST SLIGHTLY tiny little bit guilty. 

She said, 

"Haah, alright, that's enough of that" 

The soul stir and seemed to positively glow at the sight of her, Marika then allow a small little smile to grace her lips.

~~~

0