Chapter 1
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Did you know that a group of birds is called a flock? A flock of birds stays close to each other, that's why it is kind of weird that a bird like this is alone standing absent-mindedly in a branch nearby. Of course, this is no ordinary bird and not all birds work as a group, but I digress. I have no recollection of seeing or knowing this type of bird out of the many books I've read before.

But what is this bird you say? Well for starters, it has a plumb body, medium-length neck, unusually under-sized wings, and large talons, VERY LARGE TALONS.

I could say that its body and color are similar to a large chicken, and for that reason that I am considering hunting it. Together with my trusty make-shift slingshot, and a couple of sharp stones, I am now the hunter. The predator.

Well, I am lying to you if I didn't say that its talons make me uneasy. Although they aren't that sharp, they are large. I wonder how is he able to move with those things?

As I'm making sure that it didn't notice my presence, I slowly put my ammo at the weapon, taking my aim and gently releasing the rubber so that the projectile will reach its target. Except not, it didn't hit a damn thing. All that is managed is aggravate the bird.

"Tch. Now, I messed up."

The thing screamed at me so loud that it must have reached the other side of this forest. Well, not that I've reached any side of this forest myself, I am just wandering around near the lab where I've woken up. As I absent-mindedly reminisce the happenings when I've woken up inside that thing, the bird jumped and glided towards me.

And yup, that's me. A jackass about to get knocked out by a bird with a talon as large as a fist. Now you may wonder what am I doing in here and why am I risking myself in the first place. Before all of that please let me end this by...

*Thud...*

I can almost hear someone counting one to three as if I am in some sort of wrestling match. Now, where am I? Ah yes, around that time.

"The Tale of the Lamb and The Wolf. Hmm, that's one way to end it I guess."

I just finished reading a short story from a book and I've gotta say, it was kind of tragic. I did like it but I didn't like the feeling it gave me.

"Sometimes, someone you trust could be the one who'll hurt you huh?"

Well time to continue stocking these shelves. Actually, I am working right now. I work at a local book store near my apartment. It was inside a large mall, but for some reason, it never lead to a point where this place is crowded. Sometimes I wonder if this bookstore makes a profit when there were always almost no people inside this establishment aside from the workers.

But, I can't actually complain you know? I kind of liked it when there were almost no people in here. I like the feeling of solitude. Not being alone but being with yourself. It gives me time to think and manage my thoughts effectively.

"Last one. Okay, there we go."

It may be kind of petty of me but I consider this job as my dream job. I've taken a liking to this normalcy. Sometimes it can feel monotonous but it's part of its charm, and I am satisfied with it.

"Hey Chris, are you finished already? You're taking way too long there."

"Yeah, I just finished, I kinda read a little bit, hahaha."

"Hey kid, you really need-"

"Yes boss, I got it, don't get too mad, you have high blood pressure you know?"

"Hmph, fair enough."

This is my boss, a middle-aged man, and our supervisor here in the bookstore. He is also one of the reasons why it never felt lonely in here. He gives me the connection to the outside world when I am too engrossed with the books I read.

"By the way, your mother called me earlier, she said that she needs to buy her maintenance medicine and was wondering if you can wire her some money."

"I just sent her half of my salary last month, why is it already used up? Hmm, I wonder where can I get some money."

"I can give you an advance if you want? I'll just subtract it with your salary this month."

That could work for the time being. But my exams are coming next week, I guess I'll make a promissory note for now. But where can I get that extra money? Whatever, I'll just find some way.

"Thanks, Jerry. I'll take that offer. You've been such a help."

"No worries, I've known your mother since elementary, it's nothing."

"Hey, don't get too kind there, Boss. God could take you away earlier than you would have wanted. Hahaha."

"This little prick!"

He said that but he is actually laughing right now. My Boss, Jerry, is a good person. I've always respected him ever since I've known him. He was a poor child back then, he never had the privilege to study and finish college but despite all that he managed to work and finish her daughter's studies. Her daughter now works overseas, and I know he is proud of her.

He could have chosen to relax and not work anymore but he didn't. He said to me before that he didn't like the feeling of being useless. He liked work, it can be even said that it is his therapy. Jerry is a good guy, a great man even, not like a certain someone.

"It's November, it's getting real chilly huh?"

My shift just finished and here I am walking down the road the dimly lit night sky is as beautiful as it ever will and the moon is as majestic as well. One more thing I find therapeutic to me is a walk around my neighborhood. Whenever I feel sad or have something in my mind, a few minutes walk around the neighborhood is all I need, and I won't even notice that my mind is clear already.

"It won't hurt a bit if I walked a bit farther right? I could also buy my dinner at the local convenience store."

The local convenience store. Also known as my late-night hub. This is where I always find myself if I can't sleep or if I just want to hang around. I could always take a seat somewhere read some novel on my phone and eat some cup noodles. But right now I am in a quest to find food.

"Quest? Hahaha."

"Excuse me, sir?"

"Ah nothing, can I buy these?"

I just laughed at myself, quite embarrassing but I acted as nothing happened. Sometimes I do speak my thoughts. It's a bad habit of mine.

Anyways, I've bought a couple of chips, cups of noodles along with some ready-to-eat meals, those will be my breakfast tomorrow. I've been living this way for the past couple of months because I don't have the money and time to cook actual food.

It's not like I can't cook though. I've always liked cooking. I would always cook for my siblings back then when I'd been living with my mom. It is a big hobby of mine. But when you're broke, you have more important things to consider like you know, survive.

"That should be it. Thank you, sir."

"You're welcome, is that seat empty?"

The cashier nodded and I headed to my seat at the far right of the convenience store. This was always my spot and I like this, even more, when the rain pours it's like I'm in a music video. I've put on my earphones and I was browsing my playlist when the TV flashed breaking news.

"Breaking news, The ongoing invasion of the eastern superpowers to the territory of the west has risen to high alert as the west announced that it has raised its nuclear alert because of the continuous aggressiveness of the east towards the citizens of the opposing countries. Here is Jannelle straight at ground zero reporting."

These are precarious times. All merchandise have cost much more because of the ongoing wars. Because of that, the standard of living has been much harder to achieve ever since. But it never happened all at once, this slow increase of cost has always been an issue for quite a time now. It could be because our government has sold some crucial industries before like electricity production resulting in the government has almost no control as to what the cost should be.

As I wonder how these happenings could affect me, I am being quite uneasy if I can even live alone anymore. I may have to consider going back home with mom.

"Sigh, What a time to live in huh?"

I finished my food and was about to head out when I was stopped by a suited guy standing erectly in front of me.

"Your father wants to talk with you."

I've felt my blood boil suddenly when I heard the word father. My god, can this day end anymore worse?

"I don't want to. I have no father, step away please."

The door is opened by the suited guy and a man stepped out revealing a middle-aged gray-haired man. If there was one thing this man and me got in common, it would be our hair. 

"Son, it is about your mom. We must talk."

- Chapter 1 End -

1