That Fateful Night…
79 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a beautiful night sky, where a happily modern middle-class family walks down a moderately lit parking lot. The sound of motorbikes and crowds cheering slowly fade as they walk further away from the open stadium. Kevin, a 10-year-old boy, was still excited about his trip to the town's motorbike race as his arms were up, imitating a motorcycle. He zooms around his father, a renowned scientist Ben Riley, and his Seventh-month pregnant stay-at-home mother, Alexia, who are walking alongside each other.

"Mom, Dad, look at me. I'm racing on my motorcycle." Kevin exclaims as he continues circling his parents as he imitates motorcycle noises.

"You would think the boy would be exhausted by now; he really liked the show." His father mentions it to his wife. Alexia giggles as she gently rubs her stomach, comforting herself and their unborn son, who happened to be moving around.

"I think he gets that energy from you hon." She said.

Kevin stops for a second, thinking about something he realized. He wasn’t sure if he should ask as it sorta sounded silly in his head, but as he watched his folks pass him by, he ran up to them and walked beside them. "Dad, do you think I can race like that someday?" Kevin asks.

His father pauses as he thought about the question, Kevin anxiously waited for his Father to respond hoping it would be a good answer.

"Son, I bet you can make it to the championship with enough practice." His Father replied, smiling at his son. Kevin, in return, smiles back, excited to hear that his question was not only a good one but that it could come true, which made him even more excited about growing up. He goes back to imitating he was on a motorcycle and continues to zoom around his parents.

As the family was heading closer to their mini-SUV, unknown to them, they were not alone. A small group of soldiers in black ops gear quietly watches them from behind a cargo van. Armed, they held their rifles tight, waiting patiently for the right moment to strike, awaiting their signal from their captain nearby.

"Target spotted and confirmed, that's them, sir, over." Reports the soldier as he communicates through his wireless com-links within their helmets.

"Roger that, areas been swept, there are no witnesses. Replies the captain. "Commence capture."

"Engaging target, over and out," the soldier replies.

 With a simple signal from his hand, the soldier and his group moved forward with their plan. One after another, the group quickly came out of hiding, surrounding our family with guns held high. The family jumps in fright and confusion as they see soldiers coming at them with their weapons; now surrounded, they look with fear at what's happening around them. From behind other vehicles, more soldiers emerged from their hidden positions, joining their comrades as they surrounded the family.

"Halt!" The captain orders. Do not attempt to move, or we will shoot."

"Ben, what 's going on?" Alexia asks, concerned for their lives as she holds Kevin closer. Ben stands in defense in front of his family to protect them.

"It'll be ok, Lexi; I won't let them near us."

The captain signals his soldiers to rush to the family, and they all at once attack. Despite the Father's efforts to defend his family, they were too much for him. A pair grabs Ben while several other soldiers separate Alexia and Kevin from each other.

"Let go of me"! She yells. Despite her plea, the more she resisted, the tighter the soldier’s hold. She winced as their grip began to hurt her wrist. Kevin noticed his mom was uncomfortable; despite being small, he tried to fight off the soldiers that were restraining him.

"Stop it; you're hurting Mom!" He yells with tears rolling down his face.

"Don't you hurt them!" Ben yells at the Soldiers. 

Ben breaks free from the soldier's hold and punches him hard in the face. However, he wasn't fast enough to dodge the butt of the rifle as another soldier smacked him in the face with it. Ben falls to his knees, dazed by the attack's harsh impact. The Captain walks up to Ben, aiming his weapon at his head reminding him not to make another move. With his com-link in his helmet, the captain calls his boss.

"Agent Parker, targets have been captured. The area is secured, and we are waiting for your commands over."

"Good work; I've arrived at your location. I'll be there shortly," replies Agent Parker from the other end of the commlink.

Ben was dazed and light-headed, still recovering from the blow to his head, but he overheard the conversation and recognized the name Agent Parker. His body then shudders at the name as he begins to realize how much trouble he is in. Not too far, a black SUV rolls in, coming to a halt in front of our family. The passenger door opens. A middle-aged average-built man with a cybernetic patch over his left eye comes out wearing a grey three-piece suit and fedora. He walks up to Ben, who has recovered from his stunning event, as he looks up to see a not-so-pleased Parker.

"Dr. Riley, it's been a while. How have you been?"

"Cut the crap Parker. snaps Ben. What's all this about?"

"You know damn well why I'm here. It’s been ten long years, Ben. You promised us five. We wanted results, but instead, you run and playhouse. I'm disappointed in you, Doctor."

"So am I?" Ben looks at Parker in disgust.

Agent Parker looks over at a frightened Alexia and Kevin and nods at the soldiers signaling them to begin the next stage in their plan.

"Get her into the SUV; we'll deal with her later."

The soldiers comply as they handcuff her with advanced almost sci fi looking pair of cuffs which were covering her hands. They quickly escort her towards the SUV, but she tries to resist.

"Let me go! She hollered. Ben, help me!"

"Alexia!! Don't you take her, you monsters!"

Ben rises to try and help, but the guards behind him quickly grab him, forcing him to go down on his knees; there, they restrain him in that position. Parker walks up to Kevin, who is still being held captive by the other guards.

"Now then, kid, what's your name?" Parker asks politely, changing his tone.

Kevin remained silent; though he was scared, he kept a brave face. Agent Parker sighs as he grew impatient with Kevin’s lack of response; he approached and crouched down to his level.

"I said, what's your name, kid?" Parker replies, a little more annoyed at Kevin's stubbornness. Parker opens his jacket to reveal a 9mm pistol hidden in his coat to ensure he would talk. Kevin's eyes widen to see that Parker is not playing around. Parker takes it out and places the nozzle under the boy’s chin.

"M-my name is Kevin." He responds softly.

"See, was that so bad? Parker asked with a friendly smile, but Kevin knew he wasn’t so friendly.

“Now tell me, how old are you, kid?" Parker kindly asked.

"Give me back my Mom."

"Relax, kid, just answer the question and-

“THWACK!

Before Parker could finish his sentence, Kevin's head butts Parker in the face, throwing Parker back from the impact.

"I said give her back!" he yelled!

Agent Parker holds his nose in pain; he retaliates in anger by using the backhand of his pistol and smacking Kevin with it.

"You little brat!"

The sheer force of Parker's blow to Kevin's face knocks him out of the soldier's grasp and lands hard on the asphalt ground. Ben watches in horror as his son lays lifeless on the ground unsure if he was dead or knocked out.

"Kevin?! Son?!" he calls out, hoping that his son will reply. But not even a whisper. Furious, Ben looks at Agent Parker. He tries to reach out and attack to avenge his son, but the soldiers are too strong for him as they keep him back from the Agent.

"Damn it, Parker; I'll kill you. I swear to God, I will kill you!" Ben yells, enraged.

"You brought this on yourself, Doctor. Parker replied as he fixed his nose back in place. You should've done what you were told."

Agent Parker stands up and walks up to Ben, raising his pistol towards Ben's head as he readies to fire his weapon,. Before Parker could pull the trigger, he was distracted by an odd light coming from his peripheral vision. Ben also notices the blue light as well. Unsure of what it could be, they glance over and sees a blue light of energy rising from Kevin’s body like steam.

"What the hell is going on?" Parker asked.

Everyone turns their attention to Kevin, as he stands up. The energy around surges and builds, creating an aura of blue light around him. He turns to look at the adults, who stare back at him in awe and fear. Kevin's pupils were glowing blue, just like the aura around him.

"Protect...them," Kevin says as he raises his right hand towards the soldiers. He points at one of the soldiers, and without a chance to react, he shoots out an energy beam from his index finger and kills one soldier in the head. The soldier falls to the ground, his blood pooling out onto the concreate floor.

"Weapons up!" Orders the captain.

The soldiers respond by aiming their weapons at Kevin ready to fire, but Agent Parker intervenes standing in front of the soldiers with his hands up.

"Hold your fire! Use your tranquilizers! He shouts. He then turns and points at Kevin who stood in place glaring at them with his aura of energy building. I want him alive. That's an order."

Agent Parker looks back at a surprised Ben, who is stunned to see his son in his current state. He wasn’t sure what was happening to him and why. Parker reaches out and grabs Ben by the collar of his shirt shaking him from his trance as he stares at an angry Parker.

"How is he doing this Ben? Tell him to stop, now." Orders Agent Parker.

Ben looks back at his son who was looking at all the guards.

"Kevin, it's your Father; I'm ok."

Kevin hears him and looks over at his Father; he tilts his head in confusion as he could clearly see he wasn’t ok as Parker had him by the collar. To Kevin it looks like a threat. He doesn't move, instead he raises his hand to charge up an energy ball the size of a baseball. A nearby soldier watches as Kevin’s forms a ball of energy in his hand. He grew nervous as he knew the kid was going to kill them once he threw that energy ball. He anxiously steps forward with his rifle in hand aiming at Kevin’s head.

"To hell with this." A soldier exclaims as he fires his rifle at Kevin with a live round instead of a tranquilizer. Kevin reacts as he slightly moves as fast as the bullet to avoid getting killed. However, the bullet grazes his right cheek close to his eye, cutting his face. Instead of blood, a small cut on his skin peels, revealing blue energy underneath. Feeling a slight burn from the braze he received from the bullet he touches his cheek that was grazed then looks over the one that fired the shot.

"Must... protect them." Kevin replies.

Everyone, including the soldier, was all shocked to see that Kevin was fast enough to dodge a bullet. The soldier freezes in place as he's unsure what to do next. Before he could react, Kevin, in an instant, appears in front of the guard with the ball of energy still in his hand. He thrust the energy ball into the soldier's stomach. The soldier screams in pain as he can feel the intense heat of the energy going through his body. The energy then bursts in front of the soldier like a small bomb engulfing him in flames, burning him alive till he is nothing but ash as he crumbles to the ground; everyone slowly began to back away. Two soldiers tried to grab Kevin from behind, but Kevin sensed them approaching. Before the soldiers can touch him, he turns to face them and with both his hands, he quickly charged them up with energy. He releases his energy on the two pushing the soldiers away at high speeds. Parker watches as one crashes through the window of a car, killing him instantly due to the impact, and the other through one of their own vans, also killing him. The Agent grows nervous as he sees his men slowly dropping like flies. He forces Ben to stand up and puts his gun to his head.

"Call him off, Doc; you should be able to stop him."

"I can't; he's not listening to me." Ben tries to explain.

Kevin sees Agent Parker aiming his gun at his Father's face, which enrages him even more. He yells as he begins to charge up. The aura around him intensifies, lighting up the area, but as he charges up, more of his skin, starting from where the bullet grazed his face, begins to slowly peel off like paper revealing an entity of light within.

"Kill them all! Kevin yells. I will protect them….I will protect my family!"

"Kevin! Kevin!!!!" His father yells, still trying to reach through to him.

                                                                                           ***

"Kevin? Kevin, are you sleeping in my class?" Shouts a woman harshly.

An eighteen-year-old Kevin opens his eyes, revealing his left to be a natural sky deep blue and his right a light icy blue with an old-shaped birthmark in his pupil. He jumps up from his sleep, waking up in a cold sweat and a frightened state. His classmates around him started laughing and making fun by imitating his startling awakening. Kevin looks around, realizing he's not ten anymore, surrounded by soldiers in black and his parents in danger; he's in school...high school.

"Class, class, that's enough; settle down." Yells Miss Hathaway from her dry-erase board in the front of the classroom.

"Wait, class?!" Kevin thinks to himself, scratching his head in confusion about what's going on.

"Mr. Riley, just because it's the last day of your senior term doesn't mean you can sleep in my classroom. You'll have plenty of that after you graduate." She scolds him, pointing her dry erase marker at him.

"Uh, yes, Miss Hathaway." He answers with an awkward smile.

Miss Hathaway turns and faces the dry erase board again and continues to write her mathematical formula on the board.

"Now, class, let's continue where we left off."

Embarrassed, Kevin slumps down in his chair, wishing he could disappear right now, as he can see some of the students quietly snickering at him and talking about him among their friends.

"Damn it, not this again." He quietly tells himself as he brushes his hair back. As the class continues with their lesson, several seats down, a scrawny, sick-looking bald kid named Stewart looks at Kevin, nervous but surprised as he realizes something about that was revealed to him.

"I don't believe it. Stewart says to himself. It's him."

2