The Betrayal
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mike's friend's look back in the direction of the noise to see Johnny on his bike stopping at another traffic light with Kevin sitting behind him. From a distance, Mike recognized Kevin by his clothes and grew furious, thinking back to what happened during the race and how he cheated using his powers. He knew the race should’ve been won by him and not some half-breed. The traffic light turns green, and Johnny and Kevin ride off, but Mike quickly gets on his bike and follows them. Confused about what was happening, Mike’s friends scrambled to get on their bikes and follow Mike not only to see what was going on but to look after him since he drank all those beers and they could all get in trouble for drinking under age.

Mike, wait up. Yelled one of his friends.

As Johnny and Kevin reach the base of their old stomping ground, they see a build board displaying future housing. They parked on the side of the road and walked up to where they once had their tent pitched. Using his phone’s flashlight, Kevin looked around, trying to remember where he had hidden the gemstone. Johnny just followed, unsure of what they were doing.

Yo Kev, why are we out here? Johnny asked.

I’m looking for something. Kevin replied as he walked further into the woods.

The further they went into the woods, the less they were starting to see trees as the construction crew had almost flattened out the area leaving only a few trees standing, while some were on the ground, ready to be removed. Unknown to Kevin and Johnny, they were not too far from the hollowed-out tree in which Kevin hid the tin case, only it was on the ground and the case right next to it. Kevin arrived at the area where he hid the gemstone, but couldn't pinpoint the exact location with the tree on the ground. The gemstone comes alive as it senses Kevin’s presence. It softly begins to illuminate bringing Kevin and Johnny’s attention to the fallen tree. They walked up to the tree and found the gemstone in the old blue tin case softly glowing just like when they were kids. Kevin picked it up, showing Johnny the stone. Johnny’s eyes widened as memories of when they were kids came flooding back and how they were supposed to look for the stone as their buried treasure.

Hey, I remember that thing. Said Johnny as he took it from Kevin to take a closer look.

Just like before, as Johnny held it in his hands, the stone’s glow faded and became dull. Johnny remembered that too.

“And it did that to me too back then,” Johnny said resentfully as he gave the stone back to Kevin, and once again, the stone came back to life. “Why are you so special?”

This gemstone and I are connected somehow. Kevin softly answered, thinking back to what he heard from his Father.

“Connected?” Johnny thought to himself. He wasn’t sure what Kevin was talking about, and he began to feel uneasy as he remembered he had a job to do. He put his hand in the pocket that contained the device that could call the Advant Guard with just a push of the button. He thought to himself: could he really betray someone he called Brother? Even though he could be a potential danger, and risk innocent lives. Meanwhile, Mike and his crew also arrived and found Johnny’s motorcycle parked on the side of the road. He looked around, seeing that there was no other place they could go, but into the woods; he decided to go in; without any questions, his friends followed.

Meanwhile, Agent Reynolds was calmly drinking coffee at a local diner; he watched as his phone rang, showing Kevin’s Father Ben trying to reach him, but Agent Reynolds had him blocked as his phone automatically sent the call straight to voicemail. He picked up his phone, put in his password to open it, and speed dialed the lab that held Stewart and the other Class “A” psychic half-breeds. With only a couple of rings, the head scientist answers.

“How’s our Subjects?” Reynolds asked.

“It appears everything is still going as planned. The head scientist replied. Everything from the incident at the Stadium to now is still going according to what our Class A participants have projected would happen. It won’t be long now; his friend will betray him, then we will have that stone and the Riley kid.”

Good, I will see you then. Replied Reynolds.

He hangs up the phone and finishes his coffee. He pays for it with cash, leaves the diner, and goes into his car. Before he starts it up, he thinks about what he is about to do. He knew the time would come to betray his friend; it was a shame it had to be this way.

“I warned you, old friend,” Reynolds said to himself. “Not even our friendship can save your son. He belongs to us.”

Back in the woods, Mike was moving closer to Kevin and Johnny’s whereabouts. He noticed something glowing further ahead, along with a flashlight. Taking his chances, Mike was heading towards the lights as he felt it would lead him to Kevin.

Connected? What are you saying? Johnny asked Kevin.

That night, when we were leaving from that bike show, we were attacked by the Advent Guard…I did something terrible to save my parents. They used this to seal my powers. Kevin explained.

Powers?! Johnny exclaimed, surprised to hear what Kevin was telling him. Then Stewart didn’t do this to you. You’re a-.

Half breed? Kevin interrupted, looking at Johnny remorsefully as he finished Johnny’s question. Johnny looked at him, waiting to hear an answer. Kevin looked back at the softly glowing stone. Yea, I am.

That’s all I needed to hear. Mike called out, drawing Kevin and Johnny’s attention. They look back to see a drunken stupor, Mike, with his friends standing behind him.

***

General De Grandis and his men continued to explore the deserted village. Some soldiers traveled in groups while others dispersed and separated from their platoon. One such soldier, specialist Zorn went into one of the damaged homes to make sure there wasn’t anyone inside that they would miss. With his weapon in hand, he carefully looked under beds and closets but found no trace of anyone. From the floor, a Lurker emerged, watching Zorn looking around the room. It quietly crept behind the soldier and phased into Zorn’s shadow to remain hidden, waiting patiently for the moment to make its move. Zorn couldn’t help but get the feeling that someone was here with him. Sweat rolls down his face with anticipation, trying to ignore the nagging feeling of being watched. Unable to handle the pressure, he decided it was time to leave and fast. Just as Zorn turned around, he was face to face with the Lurker as it emerged from his shadow, looming over Zorn with its deadly stare. Zorn, frozen in fear, can’t help but look at this unknown creature. Suddenly, Zorn began to feel immense pain come over his chest; “a heart attack?” He thought to himself.  Zorn placed his hand over his chest to feel a sharp blade from the creature that went through his chest. Realizing he was pierced, he then could feel the blood coming up from his throat pooling out his mouth, his body starting to feel cold as his life was fading. As he begins to black out, the lurker then liquefies itself and enters Zorn’s body through his wound, taking complete control. Once the merge was complete, the Lurker left the abandoned home only to bump into another soldier.

Any civilians? The other soldier asked.

No, there was no one inside. Zorn replied.

The soldier looked over Zorn and noticed something odd about him. He noticed how pale his comrade looked, the odd dried up blood stain near the corner of his mouth and then the severe looking wound on his chest.

Drop your weapons and keep your hands up. The soldier yelled as he aims his rile at Zorn.

Zorn replies as he quickly drops his weapon and raises his hands, looking at the soldier, puzzled as to what was going on.

Why are you aiming your weapon at me? Zorn asked innocently.

Shut up and keep your hands up.! The soldier shouted. How did you get that wound on your chest?

The Zorn Lurker coldly looked at the soldier and realized his cover would be blown if he couldn’t come up with something to convince him. As he tried to come up with an answer, Zorn noticed another Lurker silently approaching them not too far from them. Confident, Zorn looked at the soldier with disgust and put his hands back down; the soldier was puzzled as to why Zorn had become confident. He tried to intimidate him cocking his rifle ready to shoot; he even poked him in the chest with it.

Keep your hands up, soldier! He yelled. Or I will be forced to shoot you.

Go ahead. Zorn said confidently as he pressed his chest against the rifle's barrel. It’ll be the last thing you’ll do.

The soldier was hesitant at first but chose to comply. Just as he was about to pull the trigger, he then heard a hissing noise behind him. Unsure of what it was, he quickly looked back only to discover a Lurker staring back at him. Before the soldier could react, the Lurker slits the soldier’s throat at the carotid artery, causing massive amounts of blood to pool out from his neck. The soldier gasped for air as he collapsed to the ground; both Zorn and the Lurker watched as the life went out of the soldier and he laid dead on the floor.

He’s all yours. Zorn told the Lurker. The Lurker entered the body of the fallen soldier and took control. He stood up and looked at Zorn, who smiled at him, glad that his fellow lurker had obtained a body. Soon other Lurkers emerged from their hidden spots as they too wanted bodies to control; the Lurker-possessed soldiers looked at their fellow Lurkers and then at each other as they knew what needed to be done.

Time to make more like us. Spoke to the Lurker soldier.
Affirmative. Zorn replied. The two left the area looking for more soldiers to slaughter, and the rest of the Lurkers followed behind.

***

Mike and his friends cornered Kevin and Johnny; Kevin put the gemstone into his jacket's inner pocket as Mike approached him up to his face. The stench of alcohol all over Mike’s body was intense and almost nauseating as it flared Kevin’s nostrils; it was obvious Mike was drunk. Despite Mike trying to look and act intimidating while slightly swaggering back and forth, Kevin stood his ground.

You kept your little secret from everybody this whole time, but tonight, at the race, I saw it. Mike slurred. He then looks over at Johnny, who was getting nervous.

You’re his friend, right? Mike asked. Which means you knew too, and you didn’t turn him in?!

Johnny looked down, thinking about what Mike said. He began to feel guilty, wondering if Mike was right about not turning Kevin in earlier when he had the chance. Kevin glanced at his friend and noticed Johnny was thinking about what Mike said. The thought of Stewarts warnings blared in his mind not to trust anyone, but though he lost trust in his parents; he still needed to believe that Johnny was still on his side; that he could rely on him; he looks back at Mike.

You’re drunk, Mike. Kevin replied. You need to go home.

Mike continued ignoring Kevin as he approached Johnny. You were there at the school; you saw what that other kid did. Think about what Riley could do to us if we let him walk around here like he’s human. He’s a half-breed; we need to turn him in.

Johnny, go home. Kevin instructed. I’m sorry I got you involved in all this, you don’t have to stay here.

This wasn’t supposed to be this way. Johnny sadly replied.

Everyone looked at Johnny, who looked nervous. He took the device Reynolds gave him from his jacket pocket, revealing it to everybody. He holds it tight trembling as he grew scared, hesitant on whether to press it or not as he looks at it with guilt in his eyes. Kevin watches worried and concerned as he noticed the red button on the device.

Johnny, what is that? Kevin asked.

If I press this, the Advant guard will come. Johnny reluctantly said. They said if I turn you in, my parents and I can leave this place. We could live where there are no seirei jin….just normal people. Johnny looks up at Kevin with remorse and tears in his eyes as he knew what he had to do.

 I-I’m sorry, Kev.

Johnny…you can’t. Kevin softly pleaded.

Johnny looks down and slightly away as he couldn’t look at Kevin who was looking at him shocked and betrayed that his one true friend since childhood was willing to give up the years of their friendship for his own freedom living among halfbreeds. His heart sank as Kevin realized there was no one here he can look to for help. It felt like it was him against the world; Mike smiled as he walked back to Kevin.

See, guys, his friend was going to betray him, and Riley hasn’t denied what he is. Mike said as he grabbed Kevin by the collar of his shirt. Press the button Johnny, let them come. I hope they dissect you, chop you to pieces, and put you in a blender.

Angry, Kevin pushes Mike off him; Mike stumbles due to his inebriated state. He looked at his friends, who remained in their spot, unsure what was going on. They were too confused as they knew that Kevin was human but they weren’t sure if Mike was telling the truth or if he was just drunk and spouting things. Mike straightened up and looked at his friends frustrated that no one was making a move.

What the hell, morons? Don’t just stand there, help me out! Mike yelled. His friends responded to Mike’s demand and began to approach Kevin to restrain him until the advent guard came. As Johnny heard Mike’s orders he looks up and watches Kevin backing up as Mike’s friends were heading towards his friend. His heart begins to beat faster as his adrenaline kicks in. Hesitantly he ponders whether he should help Kevin or call the advent guard as originally planned.

Damn it, what should I do? He asked himself.

***

Meanwhile, back at the headquarters of the Advant guard in the lab where Stewart and the other three were held, the scientist continued to monitor the four, ensuring the future was on track. Unknown to them, Stewart was slowly regaining consciousness. Knowing where he was at and what was going on, Stewart knew he needed to change his future vision to what he saw for Kevin originally. With the help of the other three, Stewart uses his reiki powers to shift the reality’s projection to something different.

Unknown to the scientists, the vision on the holo screen was once showing Kevin captured by the Advant guard, but now the vision then changes where Kevin is in a storm, hanging onto a cliff. The vision continued to loop as Stewart prevented the future from being seen.

***

Pressed the damn button Johnny; now! Ordered Mike.

Kevin watched his friend who was struggling as he was still debating on pressing the button. Kevin knew he was outnumbered as Mike’s friends were moving closer. Realizing the inevitable, Kevin chose to stand his ground as he prepared to fight.

0