The Spirit Within
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kevin looks at Laban, feeling clammy; he could feel the cold sweat pouring down his head, nervous about whether he should make the first move. Because of his mask, it was hard for Kevin to get any kind of reading from him whether he was nervous too, but then again, he thought to himself that it was very doubtful. He gives out a sigh, knowing he should make the first move. He inches forward to see if he could psych him out, but Laban wasn’t moving. Kevin then ran towards Laban, sword in the air, and attacked, but Laban blocked without having to move. Kevin moved back and then tried to attack him on all sides. Laban matched Kevin blocking him with each attack and still not moving from where he stood. The two clashed, Kevin tried to push Laban back, but it was like an impenetrable wall as Laban remained where he stood.

"Are you even trying to hit me, kid?" Laban asked boasting about his skills.

With his free hand, he punched Kevin hard on his left side, knocking the wind out of him. Kevin dropped his sword as he could barely breathe. He hunched over, still trying to take a breath in, but Laban hits Kevin on his back with the bottom of his sword, causing him to fall to the ground. Kevin, in pain, sees his sword at an arm’s reach and stretches his right arm out to grab it, but was not fast enough as Laban pierces Kevin’s right shoulder at the joint between his shoulder and his arm. Kevin hollers in excruciating pain; Laban pulls his bloodied-up sword out from Kevin’s shoulder, releasing more blood as it begins to pool out, staining his clothes where he was wounded. Kevin holds his wound, trying to ease the stinging, throbbing pain as he crouches in a fetal position.

"I had hoped the fight would’ve lasted longer; however, we must end this. I have a world to conquer, after all." Laban boasted.

Refusing to admit defeat, Kevin tries to ignore the pain as he stands up, holding his wound.

"Wait, we’re not finished." Kevin said. 

Without warning, Laban strikes Kevin deep across his chest with his sword. Blood sprays out from his chest as Laban cuts a vital area. Kevin, unable to express the amount of pain he was in, watched as he saw his own blood gushing out from him.

                                                                                          ***

Disappear. The young Kevin said just before he released the barrage of reiki-infused bullets back at his attackers. Unable to dodge in time, the bullets went through the soldiers as though they were paper. They collapsed where they stood dead with their blood pooling out. The only one left standing was Agent Parker, who stood beside Ben; they both looked at Kevin, amazed at what he had just done.

"An Earth child with sei rei jin powers..incredible." Parker muttered with awe.

Ben looks at Parker and sees how intrigued he was to see how powerful the boy is at such a young age; he couldn’t keep his eyes off as all he could see was his career risin to fame.

“You need to leave, Parker,” Ben warned him. “It’s not too late; run away and let us go.”

“Are you crazy?! What strength, what power, and at this age.” Parker exclaimed, marveled. “He’s gonna put me on top.”

Parker takes off his coat, revealing a cuff-like bracelet device attached to his left arm. He pressed the button, which activated the device as it expanded, creating a stealth type of armor all over him from his head down to his feet.

“The kid is mine!” Exclaims Agent Parker as he charges toward Kevin.

He pulls out a handle from the bottom of the device; like a light saber, a blade made of energy appears. Agent Parker made the first move as he aimed to slash Kevin. Kevin quickly defends himself, putting up a barrier when Parker struck, blocking his attack. Kevin jumps back and fires balls of energy at agent Parker which he deflects with his laser sword. Kevin appeared behind Parker in mid-air, placing his hands on his back, and an energy blast fired, sending Parker into a set of cars in a row. Unharmed, Parker got up from the wreckage thanks to his armor, but the back of the armor was damaged for a second, revealing Parker’s bare skin. The armor quickly self-repaired the damaged area in time as Kevin came flying toward Agent Parker.

“Must Protect!” Kevin yelled.

The cybernetic patch from Parker’s left eye opens to reveal it has a hidden laser cannon, and Parker fires at Kevin, pushing him into a set of parked cars.

“Kevin!!” Yelled Ben fearing the worse for his son.

He runs towards his son only to stop as he feels a rumbling from that direction. A surge of Kevin’s reiki energy causes the vehicles around him to be pushed away, causing Ben to back away. Ben's eyes widened when he was away from the danger zone as he saw that his son had undergone a transformation. His normal skin was gone, peeled away from the heat of his reiki energy, and there stood before Ben and Parker was the being inside the black void of Kevin’s subconscious. The outlined silhouette reflection of Kevin himself; everything, including his clothes, was made of pure reiki energy shining bright, making Ben squint to see him. Kevin was barely touching the ground as he was gently floating in the air in his own gravity as his hair was raised up, softy floating around. Agent Parker froze in place as he has never seen this form before. He knew he had to act fast, as he what he was dealing with, but just as he blinked his eyes, Kevin was in front of him.

Parker panicked and tried to punch him, but Kevin grabbed his fist, stopping him from delivering the blow without having to look. Kevin floated up to Parker till they were face to face. Kevin opened his mouth and yelled, blasting a large beam of energy at Parker. The power behind his yell and his reiki were too much for the armor as the armor fell apart piece by piece. As it fell, Parker began to feel the intense heat of Kevin’s energy burning his flesh. Parker yelled in pain as his body was burning up, from his skin to his muscles down to the very bones themselves; Parker hollered in pain till there was nothing left of him. Kevin closed his mouth, and as the dust cleared, a small crater where parked cars once were now disintegrated, leaving nothing behind. From a distance and well-hidden was a young Agent Reynolds who witnessed everything and recorded it from his hand-held camera.

"Well this looks promising." He said to himself. He stops the camcorder from recording any more footage. I think the bosses will be pleased to kow the project was a success." He quietly left the area to return to headquarters and show the footage to the higher-ups.

                                                                                    ***

Feeling light-headed, and weak from the massive blood loss, Kevin falls to the ground landing on his back. Unable to move as his body has started to give up on him. All he could do was turn his head to face the princess and Callon who watched with horror at what happened. Laban stands over Kevin looking down at him, all Kevin could do was look up at him with his eyes though he could barely see him in his peripheral.

"I believe you are through." Laban replied.

He walks away as he heads towards the Princess and Callon with his sword in hand. As Kevin helplessly watched, he thinks back to when he was littl when the Advant Guard came to take his family away.

"This is just like when I was little." Kevin thought to himself. "I was helpless then too; what good are powers if I can't use them."

Laban approached the two; Callon stood in front of his Princess with his arms stretched out shielding the Princess. Knowing that it wouldn’t do much, he was ready to die for his majesty.

“So ends the bloodline of King Zarcon.” Laban said as he raised his sword. “Give my regards to your Father.”

Kevin could feel himself slipping away as he watched Laban raise his sword to prepare his final blow, but Kevin tried fighting back; he couldn’t imagine leaving them at the hands of Laban.

“I need to stop him. I wanna still fight!” Kevin screamed in his head as that was all he could do.

Kevin watched like it was slow motion, Laban, lowering his sword as he enacted the blow, but suddenly Laban stopped midway. The Princess and Callon were reacting to Laban’s attack, but stopped midway as though they were frozen. Kevin looked at all three and realized no one was moving; they were perfectly still.

What? He thought as he looked at them, confused.

“Get up.” Someone with a powerful Baritone like voice spoke.

The voice was powerful, giving Kevin chills down his spine. From where he lay, he used his eyes to look around as best as he could trying to find out who spoke to him.

“What’s going on?” Kevin thought to himself. “Whose there?”

“Get up.” The voice said even louder.

With just those words, the energy coming from that voice made Kevin’s body shake which he was surprised was happening as he couldn’t feel anything earlier. Yet the energy felt familiar, as though he was somehow connected to this energy. Suddenly he heard footsteps approaching him; looking forward, he couldn’t see who was coming till he faintly saw something in white approach. The figure then became clear as a tall man in his late 50s dressed in armor with shoulder-length hair and a chiseled face covered with a finely trimmed beard stood before him.

“KEVIN! I SAID GET UP!” Yelled the figure.

The sound of the man’s voice boomed, scaring Kevin enough for him to sit up. Kevin realized that he was able to move as he was too weak earlier. Surprised, he looked down at his chest and realized the large gaping wound Laban struck him with was gone. Confused, he stood up examining himself and realized even the wound in his right shoulder was gone. What’s going on? He asked himself. He looked up and realized he wasn’t in the floating fortress anymore. He was standing in a dark spatial void of nothingness; he tried looking around for the Princess and that kid; even Laban, but there was nothing or anyone in sight.

“Where am I?” he thought to himself, but then a flash of memory from his past came to him as he remembered being here before.

 “Wait, I think I’ve been here before.”  He said out loud.

"You are correct." Answered the voice once again coming from behind Kevin.

Kevin turned around and saw the chest plate of armor in from of him. He stepped back a bit to see the Knight had appeared before him. The same knight he met in space, the same knight he saw from the grave marker where he took his sword.

“Wait a sec; you’re the one I saw come out of that gemstone that brought me here.”

"And you’re the one that happens to have taken my sword from my tomb." The knight replied.

Kevin shrinks back embarrassed as he can’t argue with him for taking his sword.

"I was planning on bringing it back, I swear." Kevin said nervously.

"That’s quite alright, my boy; I’m glad it’s in good hands." The knight chuckled.

Kevin looked around, trying to figure out what was going on.

"What just happened?" Kevin asked. “Last time I checked, I had a gaping cut over my chest, and I was dying.”

“You are dying.” The knight replied. “We are in your subconscious; this is where it all starts.”

“Where what starts?" Kevin asked, looking at him, confused.

Without warning, the knight charged his right hand, placing it on Kevin’s chest. Without moving, the knight sends a small pulse of energy into Kevin. The impact of that small pulse blew Kevin back a little causing something or someone to come out from him. Kevin regained his balance and looked at the knight, shocked at why he did that.

“What the hell?! What was that for?” Kevin asked angrily.

"So you two can reunite." The knight replied, looking behind Kevin.

"Reunite?"

Kevin was unsure what he was talking about, but as he saw that the knight wasn’t looking at him but looking at something behind him, he couldn’t help but look too. Once he turned, Kevin’s eyes widened as he saw what looked like him floating before his eyes but bound by chains attached to the void; in the center of those chains was a giant lock. He was a faded greyish blue version of himself, which was almost transparent. His eyes were closed as he was asleep; in the center of his doppelganger’s chest, was a blue light that softly glowed in a breathing-like pattern. As Kevin walked up to his double, he looked closely at him. Suddenly, more memories from his past came flooding as he remembered seeing a being just like this only of light when he was little. He remembered how warm he felt just by standing near him and how connected he felt when he held his hand to enact the agreement they made.

“It’s me?!” Kevin exclaimed.

“When a seirei jin is born, there’s a spark that awakens their spirit within. Those who are halflings, also carry that spark.” The knight explained. “You experienced your spirit’s awakening when the Advent Guard went after your parents.”

Kevin looked at the knight, puzzled as to how he knew about that event; he was never on Earth.

“How did you-"

“Do you want to save them?” The knight interrupted Kevin.

He then points forward and within the void, like a monitor an image of Callon and the Princess appeared preparing to brace themselves at Laban who is about to kill them. Kevin looked at the image and saw how frightened the Princess looked. He looked back at the knight. He wanted answers about who he was, but he realized the knight was giving him a second chance, that he could save the Princess.

“Will you help the knights of Auran stop Laban from taking over and destroying their world?" The knight asked.

"Of course, but tell me how." Kevin exclaimed.

The knight smiled, proud to hear his answer. He walked up to the sleeping Kevin and stood beside it.

"You must break the seal." He answered.

Before Kevin could ask how, the knight began to disintegrate, breaking into particles of light that transferred into the chains as the knight was the seal. Kevin walked up to himself, looking at the lock, he recognized the glowing markings that he knew all too well. He looked at the lock, trying to figure out how to open it since there was no key. He looked at his floating doppelganger, who was sleeping so soundly; unsure of what to do. He grabbed the chains and tried pulling them off, but they wouldn’t budge.

"Come on; they’re in danger." Kevin said to his double.

The double remained silent as Kevin still tried to pull and break the chains, but nothing was working. Still holding the chains, he looked at his double, unsure of what to do.

“I honestly don’t know what I’m doing,” Kevin said to his double. “I’m scared; scared I may fail again. But I need you; I can’t do this on my own.”

Without thinking, Kevin grabbed the lock and began to squeeze. Something inside him was hoping that he could just break it If he could tear it apart.

“Help me save them.” Kevin pleaded to his double. “Help me to defeat Laban.”

The more Kevin squeezed the lock, it began to crack, showing signs of it giving way, but Kevin wasn’t paying attention as he was looking at his double.

0