Ch 9: Skills and upgrades
58 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Name: Felix Balch [Otherworlder]    |    LV: 22    |    Age: 22    |    Race: Human (%95)    |    [Skill Menu (22 Sp)]

 

|Resources|

HP: 330/330 (0.33/min)  |   MP: 280/280 (0.33/min)  |   STA: 280/280 (3.8/min)

 

|Stats|

Strength:           31           |  Dexterity:                     37 

Luck:                   15           |  Intelligence:                92 

Speed:                 28          |  Endurance:                 23 [230/hr] 

Vitality:              33          |  Regeneration:           20 [20/hr ]

Arcane:               28         |  Attunement:              20 [20/hr ]

 

|Skills|

 [Mental Fortitude LV2], [Meditation LV2], [Pain Resistance LV 5], [Conjecture LVMAX (↑)], [Spear Novice LV4], [Fishing Novice LV3], [Swimming LV 6], [Faith LV2], [Training LV3], [Climbing LV1]

 

|Equpiment|

[Guest Cloak (%98)], [Guest Pants (%99)], [Guest Shirt (%99)], [Guest Boots (%97)], [Guest Ring of Feather Falling (%0)]

 

|Titles Earned| 

[Otherworlder], [Arcane Survivor], [Forcibly Summoned Individual], [Spear User], [Believer]

 


 

Felix was staring at the menu and finally resolved himself to the new feature.

In ' Left Rain ' there were 2 things that one could use as a type of currency, these were [EXP] and [SP], Experience points and Skill points respectively.

EXP could be gained when one defeats an enemy and it's was proportional to ' how strong the enemy was', this was a riddled way to say ' the amount assigned by the developers ' but Felix digressed. As for SP, it was awarded when something relatively significant happened, 1 SP for leveling up, 5 SP when defeating a Boss, and 10 SP when completely clearing an Area.

Felix knew all of these things so he was not surprised about how he had [22 Skill Points] available to use, but Felix was a bit hesitant to use them since he actually didn't know if the previous ways to obtain EXP would even work anyway, he was [LV 22] since he was here and it was the same number as his new age, was it a coincidence? will he gain a LV when a year passed? he did not know.

Gaining skills by doing them was also not something that happened in-game since you NEEDED the skill to perform the action in question, so using the ability without the corresponding skill was simply a no-go, skills did level up from using them though, so he guessed that maybe it got kinds translated here?.

Eventually, Felix simply shrugged, hoarding Skill points was a mistake new players did since the menu itself was explained from a single text prompt that was easy to miss. As for Stats, they have raised at the cost of EXP. the EXP cost was universal between them all stats and it increased a bit when you raised one.

This created an incredibly grindy mechanic where one had to decide wherever to spend their EXP before they leveled up, since leveling up made their EXP counter reset.

' Now that I think about it, I don't have an EXP counter do I?'

Indeed he did not have an experience counter visible, actually, there were a lot of things he simply did not have available that were necessary when thinking about the world, no HP, MP, or STA bars to gauge at a glance his condition, these bare necessities of a game HUD where simply missing in the real world, and it was starting to bug him out.

' It is what it is '

Felix sighed loudly, as he started counting his cards, a New Skill, no matter what it was, would cost 5 SP, evolving a Skill would cost 1 SP but it required a Skill with [LVMAX (↑)] to be upgraded, these were the costs but the entire catalog of Skills was not available a once, you needed to use 10 SP to unlock another 20% of the catalog.

Felix thought long and hard while staring at the skill catalog to choose the correct skills, using 20 SP for 4 skills seemed like the sensible thing to do at the moment, saving the SP could cost him his life, and unlocking the catalog of skills was pointless, after much deliberation and consultation of his game knowledge he decided to simply start off with the same skills as the ones the player started in the game, his reasoning?.

"They were the fundamentals"

He simply decided to trust the skills that the game offered at the start, actually calling them skills was a bit stupid since in the game they were more like ' available moves ', things that the player could do regardless of the situation and were available, so he acquired the skills [Roll], [Poise] and [Riposte].

[Roll LV1: Makes rolling faster and easier to initiate and so repeatedly, it also reduces the amount of stress and trauma caused by physical damage while rolling]

' The flagship of the game basically '

The basic move that defined ' Left Rain ' was a roll that was fast and easy to do and made you invulnerable to damage and knockback to make the attacks of enemies more dodgeable. This was probably the unevolved version of the move but it was still useful at its own rate.

 

[Poise LV1: Increases the user's equilibrium and their resistance to being stunned or staggered by impacts, this effect increases exponentially when blocking]

' A necessity '

[Poise] was something akin to a hidden stat that increased with LV and with the amount of weight the user carried, but in the real world, one needed to actually learn all sorts of tricks to actually block something and not get staggered so this skill was necessary in Felix's humble opinion.

 

[Riposte LV1: Increases the damage dealt by 100% when executing a staggered or surprised enemy decisivly]

' A classic '

The skill [Riposte] technically could be skipped but Felix knew that this skill was a bit too juicy to pass up on, Riposting something could only be done either when parrying an enemy or on a backstab, it was a move that could do devastating damage even to bosses.

This skill showed something a bit more related to games than other skills, it was countable like [Faith], while normally skills were a bit vague on how much they increased in effectivity, both of these skills had a fixed number that visibly increased with LV, [Ripost] gained another +100% damage dealt for each LV while [Faith] increased in +2 HP per LV.

 

Felix was done with Skills related to the game and decided to browse for a skill that was just useful in general, he found skills that were definitely useless in his current situation like [Woodworking] or [Mining] while he found things that definitely were important such as [Mana Sensing] and [Mana Manipulation], he decided to shelve those for later since he found the one he was searching for.

[Apraisal LV1: Show information about an object or being within view]

' Isekai 101 '

A single sentence was floating through his brain, this skill was a staple of the genre that he suddenly found himself in so he was definitely going to take it with a smile, this should lend him some information about the world he is in without interacting with people.

He was very grateful for that last part.

Next up was obviously to evolve [Conjecture] since it was possible, it would only leave him with 1 SP but he was sure that it would be a mistake to not take every advantage that he could get early on when he doesn't know what was waiting for him, and so he simply evolved the skill.

[Prediction LV1: Makes it easier to make predictions and conjectures out of limited information]

' Makes sense '

The [Prediction] was clearly just a direct upgrade from [Conjecture] with an added bonus, [Conjecture] specified that one needed ' broad strokes of information ' to actually function properly, so it now only needs ' limited information ' to make it work the same way, and it had the added effect of prediction on it. the most accurate guess would be that it made guessing more accurate funnily enough.

〈 [Prediction] went from LV1 → LV2 through skill usage 〉 

"Thank you, god"

It was not a mistake to evolve the skill since [Prediction] probably shined on combat, reading the enemy's movement was something crucial if the light novels he read told him something, so an ability to make accurate guesses with limited information and comparing it with his knowledge should be essential, It also could answer him some questions.

〈 [Prediction] went from LV2 → LV3 through skill usage 〉

"This Skill levels up like crazy, is it because of my high Intelligence?"

〈 [Prediction] went from LV3 → LV4 through skill usage 〉

' That's very useful '

Taking aside the almost pitiful amount of effort needed to level the skill, it only makes sense that Stats make Skill level better if they are related, a high Intelligence stat that probably includes modern knowledge it's what makes [Prediction] a very easy skill to level up, so Felix made a conclusion from that.

' I guess I gotta get some EXP to get more stats '

It was an obvious strategy, his prediction told him that stats made skills proficiency and rate of EXP gain better and faster than it could be inferred then amassing an incredible amount of stats would make him into a monster... if he had some sort of measuring stick.

After all, the only reason he even has stats in the first place is because of the passive of [Otherworlder], [Arcane Survivor], and [Forcibly Summoned Individual] giving him the stats, if he ignored those then all of his initial stats would be 0, that was a concern of his, he simply did not know the average stats of a person.

He could only say that it should be around 50, if someone ask him where did that number come from he would respond with ' sources: dude trust me ' and ' I made it up ' because he did.

' I had like 76 intelligence with modern knowledge, I have no idea of what is normal and what is not at this point '

"*sigh* I wonder what did I do to deserve this, but I guess a man gotta do what a man gotta do"

Felix composed himself after another sip of the water from the fountain, he cleaned a bit of his face and closed the Status Menu, and simply stood up with his gaze fixated on the entrance of the mausoleum, as it was his next destination.

He was technically going to proceed backwards, the game made you go through the mausoleum because it simply was the tutorial, it showed you some enemies who were not hostile until you hit them for you to simply get accustomed to the controls, and that's something he needed.

So Felix's plan went something like ' Kill easy enemy → Get easy EXP → Get more Stats → Profit '

A simple plan in hindsight, but complicated plans were doomed dot fail when done alone, so it was actually quite easy to go through it although he was still hesitating about whatever to do it, after all,  the enemies were former humans who got their soul on negative numbers and therefore lost all that made them human.

"... but still"

Felix simply shook his head and started walking to the mausoleum while leaving behind his tough about his former life, it's not like he was a high standing citizen anyways but the morals of ' murder is bad ' was still very much ingrained in him, so killing for the sake of EXP was still a bit to foreign for him to go through unscathed.

While he was walking Felix decided to try [Appraisal] on the wall to see what it would say.

〈 Wall 〉

"..."

Felix didn't say anything about the stupid thing that just occurred, it was still within his expectations that it would be disappointing at LV1, Skill only showed their true potential at higher levels! or so his delusions told him so that he could continue, he started appraising stuff as he walked and got similar results.

〈 Grass 〉

〈 Moss 〉

〈 Spear 〉

〈 Cloack 〉

〈 Ring 〉

And so he continue to appraise everything he could, appraising himself simply showed [Human] as the label for him, he got a bit of a frown from how the skill was useless but he didn't give up so easily and finally.

〈 [Appraisal] went from LV1 → LV2 through skill usage 〉

"Nice"

Felix pumped his fists in celebration as he walked toward his first enemies.

2