Ch 14: Fountain Shrine
52 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What the hell"

Felix murmured between ragged breaths as he was swaying from left to right, eventually his legs gave up and he slumped down on the ground.

"He could have been a bit less tough..."

A whisper with a faint chuckle, the statue did not give up and fought until the bitter end, it was quite amazing sight of the statue being struck many times with the equivalent of a metal rod by Felix who did his best to cut it limb from limb.

Starting with the right leg, followed by cracking open its rock skull and finally simply making enough cracks so that it crumbled into dust after 3 hours of constant fighting with a  new appreciation for his steel toes boots. Felix was the definition of physically spent after that fight which he won pretty fairly all things considered, and now he simply laid on the ground, with his arms and legs spread open to take in the breeze that only now he noticed.

"*sigh* How troublesome"

It was truly a stupid difficult battle that would kill him if he didn't know what he was doing, but it was a bit exhilarating in his humble opinion, it definitely made him not think about the problems he was facing until now and the hunger and thirst actually did not bother him enough to hinder him in the battle.

Truly exceptional.

' I didn't like how it looked at me though '

That was the only problem he found in the whole fight, the Statue somehow gave the feeling of awe towards him once he actually destroyed its sword, which crept him since he was NOT going to fulfill the legend of the [Choosen Soul], he only wanted the power to go back home. While being on the grass he got another system notification but he promptly ignored it for the time being.

After 15 minutes in which he recovered a few STA points, he finally got up and advanced towards the next area, the black fence's lock was opened automatically once he got close, it seemed like the normal way to enter was indeed to beat the boss. Felix wondered about skipping the boss but he simply discarded those ideas as he nodded to himself and wandered to the simple pathway that opened.

The pathway was a simple dirt road made from the many years of people passing through, the years of isolation made the vegetation start flourishing again on the path, it slowly was going uphill while passing more buildings that were boarded up hastily. The dirt road somehow made an arch going above an empty river.

This bridge was somehow naturally made since it was simple dirt that was arranged in this strange method, The empty river itself was going from the left, in which the city was located to the right, where the outside wall where one could think the water would cascade away from the mountain.

This, of course, wasn't the case since there was no water to be found, Felix wondered in amazement at what the city of water would look like in its glory days. While thinking about that he could understand the people who sacrificed everything when they battled fiercely against the occupation of the city since it would mean its destruction.

And yet... the city was in ruins, with only insane humanoids roaming its premises.

After a few minutes of walking and appreciation of game scenery that was actually real, the uphill mountain finally plateaued, the sharp contrast made it visible that once he climbed onto there, he found an abnormal calming atmosphere that he instinctually let his muscles loose and sighed in relief. 

 

The Fountain Shrine.

 

The fountain shrine had quite a serene atmosphere, a perfect view of the outside, where the sunset could be seen visibly approaching, it was very spacious and it was quite concave, sipping into the ground slowly into the center where the fountain itself was, it was a bit bigger than normal at around 2 m tall.

The vegetation was also present here, but the difference is that it was actually quite well kept, giving more of a sense of a greenhouse than a ruined place. The fountain was the only thing here that was made out of marble, everything else was made of some sort of concrete or brick that were dirty, broken, and chipped in all sort of places.

The fountain shrine is like a sacred place for all players of ' Left Rain ' since it's one of the most peaceful places where not even enemies approach, Felix wasn't sure of how true this would be here but it at least provided some degree of comfort that he sorely needed at the moment.

Felix approached the fountain and slit his wrist a top of the bowl, it suck his blood for a minute before the fountain trickled with water, after another one it finally was giving a good enough amount of water. He drank a bit to recover his Resources and to heal his wrist, afterward he decide to check his status, after all, he neglected a lot of stuff during the battle and spend on 2 stats of Strenth.


Name: Felix Balch [Otherworlder]    |    LV: 25 [441/3,510]   |    Age: 22    |    Race: Human (%90)    |    [Skill Menu (9 Sp)]

 

|Resources|

HP: 480/480 (0.38/min)  |   MP: 310/310 (0.38/min)  |   STA: 310/310 (4.33/min)

 

|Stats|

Strength:           43 (+5)          |  Dexterity:                     40 (+3)

Luck:                   20  (+3)         |  Intelligence:                91  (+3)

Speed:                 31 (+3)          |  Endurance:                 26 (+3) [260/hr] 

Vitality:              48 (+8)          |  Regeneration:           23 (+3) [23/hr ]

Arcane:               31 (+3)          |  Attunement:              23 (+3) [23/hr ]

[11 Total raised stats]

 

|Skills|

[Mental Fortitude LV6], [Meditation LV4], [Pain Resistance LV 6], [Prediction LV6], [Spear Novice LV7], [Fishing Novice LV3], [Swimming LV 6], [Faith LV2], [Training LV5], [Climbing LV1], [Roll LV4], [Poise LV4], [Riposte LV2], [Appraisal LV4], [Calculation LV4], [Intuition LV1], [Martial Novice LV2]

[Language: (&¡#@$&¡ LVMAX) (@#$&¡?# LV9) (Nerodian LV4) ]

 

|Equpiment|

[Guest Cloak (%98)], [Guest Pants (%98)], [Guest Shirt (%99)], [Guest Boots (%96)], [Guest Ring of Feather Falling (%0)]

 

|Titles Earned| 

[Otherworlder], [Arcane Survivor], [Forcibly Summoned Individual], [Spear User], [Believer], [Grave Dessecrator], [Fighter]


Felix was impressed with his stats, he received a lot of new things (BOLD) and levels on his fight, so many in fact that he believed that maybe skills grew at a faster pace when in combat, it would make sense since most of these are somewhat combat-related. Felix gazed into the new levels and he saw the stupid growth of [Spear Novice] and [Poise] which were used in the battle extensively.

For new things, he simply ' clicked ' them to see their effects.

[Intuition: Makes memories and innate battle instincts clearer to the user]

'It's something...'

It was a good skill, it was too passive in his opinion since it was not a very noticeable effect but since he got it for free then he would receive it with open arms.

[Martial Novice: Makes the basics of hand to hand combat easier to understand and apply]

'So [Spear Novice] but for Martial arts I guess? not bad'

 

[Fighter: The user was able to win against 10 opponents in a battle to the death! what a cool dude maybe!

Passive: +5 Vitality         

   

Active:    +5 Vitality

                  - For those who bet their lives on the art of fighting]

The Title was useful since stats are always a plus no matter what, he also noticed that he gained 3 LV from a single boss, but it was probably thanks to [Otherworlder] and the bonus from his soul bonus. 

Felix's exhaustion finally caught up to him, now he simply sat on a broken down pillar and let his body loosen as he admired the setting sun in the distance, he felt like something was missing, he could not pinpoint what it was but there was clearly an element that wasn't there to complete the Fountain shrine experience.

〈 [Intuition] went from LV1 → LV2 through skill usage 〉

At that instant, Felix's eyes widened as he realized what was missing.

The game OST.

There simply was no OST playing in the shrine, the game itself did not have a lot of OST when going through the places normally instead, it opted for more ambient noise fitting the current player position. Bosses and certain areas were the exceptions though, the Fountain shrine had a melancholic but hopeful song that conveyed how great the adventure was going to be.

"That soundtrack was a fire. I kinda miss it in these moments"

Felix searched on the left side of his belt where [The book of Omnia] was hanging with a vine that he cut earlier,  he simply opened it and started reading.

Felix was actually pretty interested in the book for a couple of reasons, the most pressing is that reading the book and trying to understand it would naturally level his language skills at an extreme rate, he had [Otherwordler] which added an EXP bonus of +600%, and then he had (90%) of Soul, so that was another +40% EXP bonus.

Even then, Nerodian was only at LV4, he could talk simple sentences and understand a good chunk of information from people talking and even more, if it was written, it is only natural that linguistics all over the earth would kill him when he said that doing all of that in a week was ' slow as fuck '.

That was a big reason to read the book, the other one is that he considered the book something actually interesting. If he had to compare it he would say that it was the same as the Bible, a collection of interconnected stories that seemed to be passed down from generation to generation in which many things would be taught and beliefs were created.

Most of the stories were likely seen as Fairytales on the outside since they do describe events as foreign as possible, for example, the stories about the first being with a soul, his problem with his daughter, and the subsequent Yuri that came out of fucking nowhere.

Felix was laughing when he first read, he would read the shit out of this book even if he got Nerodian to LVMAX because of the outrageous stories that come from here, but it did show something about the game that he always overlooked since it was weird.

' Left Rain ' tried to be wise by trying to teach people knowledge that can be used in the real world, it was actually for this very reason that the game was so difficult since it was a lesson that ' good things come at a price ' or the ' there are no free meals in this world ' type of saying.

"Yeah fucking giving a Lemon tree to the unofficial goddess of life, who the fuck wrote this?"

It was not subtle at all, but it was probably because in this world those types of sayings are not very common? that didn't make sense to him since they should be even more common since the paper would be worse than the word of mouth in a medieval era.

"Whatever... What it was? yeah, when life gives you lemons you make lemonade? does lemonade even exist here?"

〈 Title [Sage] Acquired 〉

"Hah?!"

Felix got surprised and annoyed at the system notification, he was getting exasperated at the feelings of being monitored by the system but he was equal parts thankful since it does lend him a to of help... but.

"What even is the reason to give us titles?"

Felix wondered, he glanced at [The book of Omnia] since it does mention Intelligence and incidentally it does tell you the description of the stat Luck, so it probably had some stories about the system itself. Felix sighed and checked his new title that he got by trying to talk to himself as he thought about talking to himself more often to gain more dumb titles.

 

[Sage: The user uncovered lost knowledge about concept magic! a step into the knowledge of gods!!!

Passive: +10 Intelligence

                +10 Arcane

                +15 Attunement

                 +50% EXP towards Skills involving Magic directly.

Active: Doubles current Intelligence and MP.

                - For those who stepped into the knowledge of ancient gods]

 

"Ah... I understand"

He did not understand.

1