Prologue
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Don't go in," Aaron said with sad eyes. "Please, don't."

Aaron's eyes were hooded as he gazed at Caleb who was standing in front of the cave. God, to his eyes, Caleb was so beautiful. But the terrible secret hidden within the darkness of the sea cave behind him was too tempting, too seductive for the other to ignore. He knew this but that didn’t stop him from trying to persuade the other to walk away. He didn't want Caleb to know what secret lies inside. It would destroy the other man.

He can't know. He’ll be happier if he doesn’t.

"Why?" The question escaped from Caleb's mouth. "Why shouldn't I enter? What's inside?"

Aaron didn't answer his questions. "Please, Caleb, don't go inside. I'm begging you. Don't go in."

“Tell me!” Caleb couldn’t help it anymore, he shouted out his fear, curiosity and anger at the silent Aaron.

The clouds moved, carried by the chilly wind of the midnight air. It covered the full moon hanging high in the dark sky. The shadows briefly covered the two but it felt like an eternity for Aaron and Caleb.

Caleb saw Aaron's shadow distort and move like some sort of mirage. It was the last straw that broke the camel’s back. He knew that there was something wrong about Aaron. But he ignored it because he didn't want to acknowledge the possibility of Aaron not being a human like him. Of there being something wrong in the first place about kind Aaron, sweet and gentle Aaron, the Aaron who had been by his side from the beginning since he found himself in this cursed place.

But he should have seen it. No. He had seen it. He knew. He had just willfully ignored it because Aaron was the only ally he had. It was out of self-preservation that he ignored the little details he noticed that hinted to the fact that Aaron was more than what he seemed.

Maybe that was the correct choice. Maybe it was a mistake.

But that needed to end. He had to find out the truth. If he wanted to escape, then he needed to start seeking out answers on his own.

"I'm sorry," Caleb whispered to Aaron. And he was. He was sure that there was a reason why the other man was trying to stop him. But he needed to go inside to find out the truth.

So he said sorry for betraying him like this. It was all Caleb could do.

“Caleb!” Seeing his expression, Aaron frowned, sensing something wrong. He stretched out his hand towards the other man but it was too late.

Before Aaron could try anything to stop him, like physically restrain him, Caleb suddenly ran like the wind towards the mouth of the cave. And from the pounding footsteps behind him, Caleb knew that Aaron was running after him, still trying to stop him to the very end.

He needed to know. Maybe it's the last clue he needed to somehow escape the town he found himself trapped in.

"CALEB!"

It was the last thing Caleb heard as he plunged into the darkness.

1