Chapter 10
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I ended up not editing any more chapters, but I will be doing so. Although, I don't know if my next chapter will be out on time. Yesterday, one of my chickens passed away, and I was only really able to get this chapter out due to it being nearly done. However, the last time a pet of mine passed away, I threw myself into writing and wrote 20k in a week. So... could go either way.
Word Count: 3k


Both their heads turned at the unexpected voice. Behind Harry's chair stood Concubine Penny, who was staring disapprovingly down at the scene, a frown on her usually cheerful face. Cordelia spluttered, standing up to take a step towards the woman, before deciding against it at the look sent her way. Instead, she began to justify the scene. "Sister Penny... Noble Potter-Black offended me with his rude tone, I was just reacting appropriately to the offence he has caused for daring to-"

"Then, don't you think you take offence rather quickly, Sister?" She cut in, raising one blonde eyebrow. "From what I saw, Noble Potter-Black was merely informing you that he had told the truth, and you in response acted rather rashly to his words. I believe you should work on suppressing that hastiness of yours, to turn yourself into a better partner for his Majesty, he does so dislike carelessness." Penny sat down on the chair next to him, her maid hurrying to pour her a cup of tea whilst Coredlia's own floundered. Harry watched, amazed, as she turned the once pompous princess into a stuttering mess.

"Y-Yes, of course, Sister! I-I will endeavour to do my best to please his-his Majesty!"

"See to it that you do so." She patted her swollen stomach as she reached for a slice of cake, closing her eyes in bliss as she took a bite. "Your cook always makes the best cakes, they taste so fresh!"

"I-I will ask her to make you some, Sister."

" Oh, thank you, Sister! That would be lovely!" Commanding demeanour gone, Penny turned into a sweet woman hellbent on making sure he tried every treat on the cake tower. "Try this one, Brother, it's got a hint of rose to it which goes well with its sweetness." and "I'm sure that you'll enjoy the taste of this!" Soon, the tower was empty, and with nothing left to say, Penny stood alongside him and led him out of the palace, shouting cordial goodbyes over her shoulder.

After the pair had left the vicinity of the Palace of Noble Beauty, Penny raised a hand to her face to stifle her giggles into it.

"Oh, Sister Cordelia's face was brilliant! She looked terrified to be told off, even knowing that I'd never do anything so harsh as to warrant that." She continued to chuckle, Harry watching on with a slightly raised eyebrow. Penny wiped her eyes, breathing heavily. "It's been a little while since I last laughed like that, thank you for the entertainment, Brother."

She found the situation he feared funny? "You're welcome?"

She brought a hand up to her face once more, lips twisting in clear amusement. Before she could burst into hysterics once more, Harry quickly butted in. "Thank you, Concubine Slytherin-Haywood. For helping me out of that situation, I mean. You have my gratitude."

The woman waved off his bow, reaching out to take his hand in her own. "Oh, please, call me Sister. I'm not a lover of overly formal terms of address."

"Then, thank you, Sister." She smiled, kissing his cheek gently, and much to his embarrassment, he flushed red at her actions.

"Then, as thanks, remember to come and visit me at my palace sometime. You are quite refreshing to be in the presence of, Brother. Well, farewell for now."


31st August 1997- Sunday

The day before the Hogwarts-aged children were due to leave for the start of their new school year, was the 12th birthday of Seventh Princess Odelia, Noble Cordelia's one and only child. For the day of celebration, the Princess had asked for a gathering containing all of her father's concubines, none of her other siblings, and various people of importance to be attending. The first part was to be a grand dinner of several courses, lasting hours, which Harry was not looking forward to at all.

When he arrived at the hall, dressed appropriately for the occasion, Harry was immediately directed to his seat at one of the tables near the Emperor, without being allowed to converse beforehand. Surrounding him were the other Noble's, with Jasmine's seat still glaringly empty even as the celebrations began.

The Princess, along with her mother, sat to the sides of the Emperor at the head table, lavishing in his attention for the day.

" Father, did you see what Grandmother and Grandfather sent over for me? A golden harp! Isn't it so beautiful, father?"

" Very nice, Odelia."

" And mummy had some new robes made for me, this is one of them!" She held up a sleeve to the Emperor's face to inspect, which he did with vague interest.

" Gold stitching, how pretty."

The girl giggled, reaching for a glass orb that sat on the table in front of her. " Oh, and Auntie Bellatrix also got me this! It's pure crystal, see?" The Emperor received the crystal ball into his hands as his daughter turned to pick another item up. " And, Uncle Felix-"

" Odelia, please eat your meal, we'll have plenty of time later to go through your gifts."

She sat back, chastised and sheepish, and bowed her head slightly. " Of course, father, I apologise for my uncouth demeanour."

The concubines watched on as he smoothed a hand in her golden curls, tutting. " It is no matter, it is your birthday, after all." He replied with evident fondness that the Princess latched onto.

"Father... Did you... Did you get me a gift?"

The Emperor's hand paused and he drew back. "As I said, dinner first, then gifts may be discussed."

"Yes, father."

The rest of the dinner lasted for an hour or so more before they were allowed up to mingle. Harry, as still a relatively new concubine, was mostly left alone by the officials and knights wandering about, but he at least had Luna by his side to keep him company.

Dahlia, on the other hand, was socialising with the others like it was second nature, her more prestigious name garnering her attention despite her lower rank. Bored with standing around, he decided to approach her when she was left alone for a minute.

Harry overheard the nearby group of concubines' conversation as he stepped nearer to Dahlia, whose eyes were slightly widened. She shared a glance with him as they listened in.

" Yesterday, Noble Potter-Black was rather rude to me, can you believe it? He's been in his Majesty's harem for less than a few months and he's already being a brat." Cordelia tittered, eagerly soaking in the ruffled expressions of the group surrounding her. She chanced a glance at Penny, whose face had fallen.

The Concubine was frowning at her and the group, clearing her throat to interrupt. " That is untrue, Sister. Noble Potter-Black was simply answering your question, and you took offence quickly. If anything, you are at fault for that altercation. Please do not spread misinformation about one of our youngest brothers."

Cordelia seemed to startle at her unexpected call-out before she sneered. "Sister Penny must be feeling a bit lonely. I mean, why else would someone of your standing hang around with the Emperor's newest 'beau'. It's obvious, you're looking to gain back some of his majesty's favour that you see the boy has snatched away."

Penny froze, her head turning when the words computed. "I beg your pardon?" She sounded gobsmacked. " 'Emperor's newest beau'? How rude, Noble Cordelia! How shameless can you get, and on your daughter's birthday, as well! Speaking about the Emperor in such a way, about you fellow concubines in that manner-"

" What seems to be the matter over here, my concubines?" The Emperor had, without the group noticing, sidled up behind them alongside Princess Odelia, who looked shocked as well as a tinge angry.

Cordelia blushed, whilst Penny spun with an indignant huff. "Noble Rosenburg is making unfounded accusations towards me and Noble Potter-Black!"

His Majesty smiled, a sly smirk that darkened his eyes. "Oh, well, that won't do, not on a day such as this. Noble Cordelia, what do you have to say for yourself?" He drawled, staring down at the woman.

She spluttered. " I- Sister Penny is obviously lying, why would I ever, especially on my daughters-"

" I heard it all for myself, so perhaps you would." The Emperor frowned down at the Noble as she collapsed to her knees and bowed, her daughter reaching forward as if to lift her before deciding instead to plead with her father.

" Dad, wait, don't hurt-"

" I won't, sweetheart." The Emperor seemed to soften slightly when faced with his daughter's pleading, a side Harry had yet to see of him. The indulgent look suited him. "Your mother hasn't done anything to warrant such a punishment. Instead, her weekly stipend shall be halved for the next three weeks, with it going towards both Noble Potter-Black and Concubine Slyterhin-Haywood, as the targets of her behaviour. Heed my words."

"I-I thank his Majesty for his lenience!"

"Cordelia, you have thoroughly embarrassed both yourself, your daughter and myself with your behaviour on a day such as this. Return to your palace at one and think about your actions."

"Yes, of course, Emperor!" The woman stood with the help of her maid, and the pair rushed out of the hall as if it was on fire.

With that, the festivities drew to a close long before expected, as no one was in the mood to keep up their mannerly fronts, wishing instead to gossip behind closed doors.


1st September 1997

On the morning of September the first, Harry attended his second meeting which included changes within the harems structure. After the month's incidents, he wasn't surprised that there was to be some upheaval.

" His Majesty has declared that Noble Lafington is to now assume the rank of Primary Noble-" There was a noise of indignation from Cordelia, but she didn't speak. "-and that due to gaining his majesty's disapproval for her unsavoury actions yesterday, Noble Rosenburg is demoted to Secondary Noble. That is all. Now, onto our next topic-"

She chose now to speak up, a frown on her face. "Sister Bellatrix, there must be a mistake, his Majesty has already punished me with-"

Bellatrix raised her voice. "The Emperor makes no mistakes, Noble Rosenburg. Regarding the concern of-"

" But-"

" Noble Rosenburg, if you interrupt me once more, I shall have you thrown out of the hall and punished for your actions!" Cordelia shrunk back into her seat, muttering apologies towards the Consort, who huffed. "Now, regarding concerns over the latest Wizengamot meeting and the new laws they have brought forward to his Majesty: His majesty reminds us that he has in mind the best for our country and that we shouldn't doubt his choices. He wishes for us to not get so involved with the Wizengamot's affairs unless we have reason to. Which, in this circumstance, we do not."

Harry had heard nothing of these new laws. The Wizengamot meeting had only been held last night, and he wouldn't receive mail from his father of Sirius until the evening at least. He didn't know whether to be worried or not, but speaking up and announcing that he was out of the loop wasn't the ideal situation. Harry would have to ask around his allies for information later on.

"Also, as most of you know already, after this meeting, we are all requested to gather in the main square to see off the Princess' for Hogwarts. May I remind you all to be on your best behaviour, as his Majesty will be present as well, and I will not tolerate any mistakes that will reflect badly on my management of you all, is that clear?"

" Yes, Sister. We will adhere to your demands."

" Good, see to it that you do."


Later that morning, all personnel of the Court gathered to send off the seven oldest Princess' for their new year at Hogwarts. They were already dressed in their Hogwarts uniforms, all proudly showing off the Slytherin insignia stitched onto its front, and swishing about the golden-lined cloaks that distinguished them from the other students. Evana, the First Princess, and a year mate of his, stood next to the carriage alongside the Emperor and her younger sister, Viviana. They, as the children of the late Noble Consort, had no one but their father to see them off personally, who was fussing over their robes, making sure that the crest of their house was proudly showing.

He wondered how it would be taken if one day, a child sent home a letter stating that they had been sorted into another house. Harry, personally wouldn't mind whatever house his potential children got into, but he knew that some of the concubines were fanatical about their previous houses.

Concubine Carrow being one of them.

" Don't disappoint Mummy, alright sweethearts? You are Slytherins, and as Slytherins, I expect nothing but the best from you. Slytherin is the finest house for good reason, as it contains the best of the best, and as it is the house of all of your ancestors, you are obligated to be the very best. If you disappoint me, your apologies won't be enough once you're back, and if you dare to hide away in that palace of yours, you'll be sorry."

"Yes, mother." The twin girls chorused methodically, bowing to the concubine. Harry watched on, feeling disgusted at how someone could treat their children in such a way.

"The only time Alecto liked her children was when they were days old infants who had brought her the glory of bearing twins for his Majesty. However, she was soon told that they had caused her to become infertile, and since then, she's always acted as if they are a burden to her." Harry whipped his head around at Regulus' whispered words, the man smiling blankly at his surprised expression.

"Are they not in danger staying with their mother who so clearly doesn't like them, then?"

The man grinned, as bland as his previous smile. "Don't worry, his Majesty had the girls removed from her care when they were young, and she is only allowed access to them at events such as these. They live within the children's palace, which was built in 1990 for the recently orphaned first prince and his sisters after Late Noble Consort Evangeline was poisoned. She hadn't wanted anyone to gain control over her son, so she asked that of his majesty in the event of her death. It was designed for orphaned children and those who wished not to live with their other parent." Regulus paused, looking over to the Emperor, who was hugging each of his children as they made their way into the flying carriage, with a grudging look. "However, his majesty seemed to think that it was best that his children lived away from their parents, and ordered that after their fifth birthday, they should reside there permanently." He looked bitter at this, and Harry realised that he had wandered over with the intention of ranting to someone to distract himself from his daughter's departure.

" I... that does sound rather... unsatisfactory."

His Uncle scoffed at his choice of words. " Unsatisfactory, indeed! That's why I decided from thereon, that I will never have another. There's no way that I'm allowing multiple children to be taken away from me." The man frowned, staring at the carriage which was slowly making its way into the sky. "It is always so bittersweet, sending the children off. Many of us wished to have them continue homeschooling, but his majesty decreed that it was a Slytherin's duty by birth to attend the school their ancestor helped to build." Regulus gazed at the carriage his daughter was in as it slowly disappeared into the distance. "The worst part is, however, the fact that after Carina graduates, I have no idea how long she will continue to reside in the court. I suppose we'll find out once Princess Evana graduates, whether his majesty will marry her off soon, or if he'll continue to covet his daughters like a protective dragon with its hoard." The flying carriage had now disappeared, and many of the concubines had begun heading back towards their accommodations. "Thank you for the talk, Harry."

Harry startled at the address. " I am happy to speak with you at any time, Uncle." The man chuckled as he walked off, face morphing once more into that perfect mask of blankness.

His uncle's personality was an unexpected but not unwelcome one in the stifling atmosphere of the court.


7th September 1997- 3rd Person POV- The Palace of Noble Beauty

Huifen carefully carried the tray filled with an assortment of cakes and tea into the front room with shaking hands and a harshly beating heart. The news she was to bring was most definitely not going to be accepted by her mistress', but as a lowly maid, she had no choice but to relay it.

She set the tray down on the table in front of Noble Lafington, placed the food and drink in the correct place, and prepared the tea, going through her usual motions as her mistress continued to stare blankly into thin air.

Huifen cleared her throat. " M-Mistress?" No response. "Mistress, there is news from his Majesty, the Emperor." Still, the woman did not stir from her daze, tear tracts still prominent on her cheeks from the last time she had wept. "Mistress?"

"...What?" Her voice was hoarse from disuse, bloodshot eyes swivelling to stare at Huifen with blankness. " What has my Emperor decreed?"

"That... His Majesty has announced that there is to be a celebration for your birthday, one of which your relatives are permitted to attend. He also sends you his well wishes-"

"A celebration!" The Noble stood abruptly, shocking Huifen into stumbling back from her suddenly animated form. Her previously blank expression had morphed into one of distaste as she picked up a glass to take a sip. She paced a little. "Why? Why would I want a celebration! My baby is gone, the one that I had hoped for, for over fifteen years now, I have no desire to celebrate!" She threw the glass at Huifen who had knelt on the floor, and screamed, collapsing to her knees in sobs.

Huifen scrabbled helplessly, thunking her head on the floor pleadingly. "My-My ap-apologies Mistress! This one did not think!"

" No, no you did not, get out of my sight! And make sure somebody informs the Emperor that there will be no celebration happening, no matter that it's my birthday!"

" Yes-Yes mistress!"

0