Chapter- 1.2
41 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     Xue Yuanjun had long ago reached the entrance to the hospital.

     The cloudy, dark sky, coupled with his ash grey suit, gave one a melancholic feeling as Xue Yuanjun stared at the sky. 'It's late and the sky is cloudy. I hope it rains.'

     Xue Yuanjun unconsciously tightened his grip on the black case in his right hand before following a familiar route to a small corner shop.

     Jingle~

     Jingle Jingle~

     Inside the small shop that was filled with the delicate smell of flowers and the faint sound of chimes, there was an old woman behind the counter. "Welcome, Mr. Yuanjun! It's such a pleasure every time I see you! Come, come, I've got your order ready over here." She gave a smile as delicate as the flowers she had raised and beckoned Xue Yuanjun over as soon as he entered.

     "Your bouquet of anemone and daffodil. I put in an extra flower for you. It really breaks my heart to have you come in every year and order these flowers for your bouquet. I've known you so long. I hope you find your own peace." she said.

     Xue Yuanjun looked at his bouquet that had a large bird of paradise at the center and gave the woman a smile. "Thank you so much, I troubled you a lot. You don't have to worry about me; this will be the last time." Xue Yuanjun said his good byes and left the store.

     The woman at the counter was at a loss for words. A moment later, her husband walks in and says, "I just saw that Mr. Yuanjun leaving. Why did his bouquet look different? Has he moved on?"

     "No, no, I put that in there for him. I just wish he could be happy." The woman replied as she was cutting ribbons.

     "You old woman! Let him take his time. You don't know what he is going through, it's none of your business. Just give him the order that he wants; don't go meddling!" Her husband slammed his hat on the counter and reached for his apron.

     "What old woman! You're no spring chicken either! And what!? You understand what's going on better than me!?" She exclaimed.

     "Men just have a way of doing things. Next time he comes back, just give him what he wants and leave him be." He replied.

     Her speed at cutting ribbons became faster: "Well, he may not even be coming back."

     Her husband jolted and raised his voice: "What do you mean 'may not even be coming back'!? What did you say to him!?"

     "All I said was I hope you find your own peace, that's all. Then he looked at his bouquet and said, 'you don't have to worry about me, this will be the last time.'"She replied.

     "You old woman!! Look what you did with your meddling! What if he really never comes back!? You think money grows on trees!? It's hard enough selling flowers this time of year, and now we've lost a regular customer!" He exclaimed.

*  *  *  *

     Xue Yuanjun's apartment was plain, only decorated with simple furniture that complimented the grey walls. He took off his shoes, changed into slippers, placing the bouquet of flowers on a small circular table by the balcony, then stood by the sliding glass door and starred at the droplets of rain that began to fall with an expressionless face.

     "It really did start to rain. It rained that day, didn't it? Or did I confuse the tears for rain?

     If I'm honest, I've forgotten a lot. I've forgotten what the weather was like, I've forgotten what clothes you and I wore, I've forgotten what we said to each other, I've even forgotten why."

     Xue Yuanjun gave a self-mocking smile: "But something that I can't seem to forget no matter how much time passes is your face, the way you looked at me then...."

     Xue Yuanjun reached into his pocket and pulled out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. He opened the sliding doors leading to the balcony before lighting the cigarette and taking a drag.

     "I really did it, just like you wanted. Are you happy now? 15 years ago, exactly."

     The rain droplets turned into a heavy drizzle. Xue Yuanjun smoked half a cigarette before opening his mouth and saying: "I'm sorry." His words slowly became inaudible through the rain that began to pour.

     Xue Yuanjun smoked half a pack of cigarettes before closing the balcony door, taking the bouquet of flowers and the pack of cigarettes, throwing them in the trash on the way to his bedroom.

3