10 – Challenging The First Boss
90 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I climbed out of the cave with Roka on my back, still unconscious. I must have been out for a long time, because I couldn't see any light from the mouth of the cave which we fell through. Roka was surprisingly light, so I was able to heave myself up over the ledge with Roka in tow.

I just couldn't shake what that thing said to me. Yao Qing... Maybe there was some hope of seeing her again, but if she was also here, she must be leagues ahead of me in terms of how high up she was in the tower. After all, I'm only on the first floor of a supposed 100 floor tower. Let's see... Since she died 4 years before I died, and I was in that dark place waiting to be reincarnated for 6 months... So she has 4.5 years experience on me. But that doesn't matter. I'll work as hard as possible to see her again, no matter what. The shocking news caused me to pass out down there, I'll definitely have to train my mind some more. Wait... news?

I sat up and opened my menu with the voice command, and then said, "News."

The window changed to another display, which was plastered with ads. Among them, one stood out to me.

Mysterious Man destroys first floor testing area and makes off with cross-breed prisoner

I chuckled and swiped upwards on the window, causing the display to move down, where I noticed another headline.

The Red Death strikes again, leaves behind a message

Curious, I tapped the headline and an article appeared on the blue screen. Disregarding all the statements from eyewitnesses, i scrolled to the message this "Red Death" character left behind. It says, "L dzdlw wkhh, orug Khdyhqob Ghprq." I immediately recognized that it was written in code, albeit a fairly weak one, and mentally made a note of it. Clearly, the inhabitants of this tower were not the smartest if they had not managed to crack this fairly simple cipher. I scrolled to the bottom of the page and found the author's name. 

"Gale... Force? What kind of name is that?"

I chuckled and closed the news screen. It was about time I got to climbing this tower. Just as soon as Roka wakes up.

A few hours later, we were back in the inn and were preparing to challenge the floor's trial. I got some info from someone on the streets who told me that there is a trial to progress each floor. Often, the trial is some form of fighting, but sometimes it could differ. The first floor's trial was a battle against some type of commander. The first thing I needed to do was review my items in case there was some useless things I could clear out of my inventory. I scrolled through, casually deleting excess materials and duplicates of crippled and old weapons. 

"Useless, useless, useless, useless!" I shouted as I deleted item after item. But then my hand paused over an item.

"A Skill Scroll?"

I clicked on it and the menu transitioned to a display of the item's properties.

Skill Scroll: False Army

After using this item, you gain access to the skill "False Army".

I immediately used the scroll then opened my skills menu to check it out.

False Army

You are a master of disguise and deception. You can create hundreds of duplicates that look identical to you, but each one has only a fraction of your overall battle strength. Leveling up increasing the clone's strength by a slight amount.

Current Clone Strength: Level 0.1

"Hmm, this skill could be great for distraction purposes. It seems useful. I think there was one more skill scroll, let me see what that one does."

I opened my inventory once again and scrolled down until I found the scroll I was looking for. 

Skill Scroll: Earth Formation

After using this item, you gain access to the skill "Earth Formation".

I quickly used the item.

Earth Formation

Those with this skill are masters of the earth and the ground. Natural materials such as dirt or stone will respond to your will.

"Holy shit, this skill allows me to control the earth itself! What an incredible find, it must be very rare. Come to think of it, where did I get those skill scrolls?"

I pondered for a moment before suddenly remembering.

"Of course, I remember those tiny green creatures on the first floor dropped a few scrolls! That must be what those skill scrolls are from."

I closed my inventory and skill list and took a deep breath. Suddenly, another screen appeared in front of me.

The Earth Mother has taken an interest in you.

Hmm, another deity has noticed little old me. Not that I plan on accepting a contract of any kind. I turned around and gently shook Roka awake.

"Roka, wake up. It's time to challenge the First Floor Boss," I whispered as Roka's eyes fluttered open and closed until she finally sat up in bed. I turn around and wait a few moments as she changes into her new clothes, which I purchased for her from the point shop. Once she was finished, we walked together out of our room, through the hotel, and out into the streets. We pass a few people on our way to the center of town, where the system informed me is the place I needed to go to challenge the first floor's Boss.

After a few minutes of walking, we reached the center of town. There was an intricate glowing purple circle on the ground, and there was a line of people waiting, presumably to challenge the boss. In true heavenly demon fashion, I ignored the line, shoved the guy about to teleport out of the way, and with people yelling and throwing things, accepted the system's teleport request. Everything faded into a soft white, and when I could see again, I found myself standing next to Roka in a crimson throne room. 

On the throne in the center of the room sat a knight wearing deep crimson armor and a silvery grey tassel on his helmet. Embedded in the crimson stones next to him was a massive black greatsword, honed to perfection. Roka and I step into the room together, causing the knight to raise his head.

In a gravelly voice, he says, "More sacrifices? Oh, today is quite a good day. Prepare to become the fuel that powers the resurrection of the Demon God!" With one swift pull, his sword tore out of the ground with a terrible screech. I dropped into a battle stance and mentally prepared myself for the hardest foe I'd faced in this tower.

2