Chapter 2 – Start of the path
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Old man Grimble and I were now in the back of the store, where most of the spare inventory was kept. Old man Grimble didn’t worry about any other customers at the moment. I came to the Maven before the morning sun had risen, something that old man Grimble instructed me to do so that he could help me don my armor and weapons for the first time. I felt warmth radiate in my chest. “I wouldn’t miss helping my first disciple get ready to face the world outside the city walls. Now let’s do this properly. Did you bring all of your gear?” replied old man Grimble when I asked him why he went to such lengths for me. 

“Yes. I brought a bed roll, 50 feet of hemp rope, 20 feet of hemp cord, a tin mess kit, a bundle of rushlights, a tinderbox, two oiled tarps, a thick cloak, a small wooden cup with a small hole in the side, six small iron pins pointed on one end curved on the other, a waterskin and a small wooden box for herbs and other magical plants. I don’t plan on spending the night out today, but I thought it would be better to be prepared in case I encounter trouble.” I replied. I had packed, repacked my bag last night in preparation. I had checked, double checked and triple checked its contents due to a mixture of anxiety and excitement. Preparation was the weapon of the wise as I’ve been preached by old man Grimble.

“Bahhh you dolt! You don’t need all that for just gathering herbs. While it is good to be cautious, there is much merit in being prepared. Being overly cautious can be just as dangerous as going in unprepared. It’s all about balance. An unbalanced weapon can cause you to overreach when you swing or cause you to lose power. Alfo, you are much like a weapon. Forge yourself into something formidable, the fires of life be harsh! Now leave everything ‘sides: the cord, mess kit, tinderbox and herb collector. One more thing. Take some potions you’ve made and this as well. You need to think about your defense a little more.” Grimble grumbled at me. Handing me a wooden shield. I knew that a mace isn’t that effective at parrying and blocking incoming attacks. Being able to afford a shield was something that I couldn’t do with my limited coin. 

“Thank you Old man Grimble!” I replied in jubilation. I was genuinely happy to receive something that would directly affect my chances of survival. I equipped the round wood shield; it is a simple work with a metal cap in the center and metal rim. This should allow me to bash my enemies without causing the shield irreparable damage. After examining the shield, I put my arms through the leather straps and slung it behind my back. With the last piece of my combat gear, I felt much more confident leaving the city walls. I thought that I was ready to leave and go start my first herb gathering quest at the adventurer's guild. Before leaving I asked, “Do you think that is everything that I will need, Old man Grimble?”

“Wait! Aren’t you forgetting something? Where is your journal? Leave it here before you leave, let me see your ideas for future products.” Replied Grimble. I forgot! I was too excited and forgot my earlier deal with Grimble. If he approved of my ideas and designs for smithing and potioneering he would take me on as an apprentice. He said my future treatment while learning from him would depend on the contents of my journal. Something he gave me two years ago specifically for this purpose. After scrounging around my bag, I felt the corners of the leather-bound book worn from the numerous times I had opened and closed it. As I pulled out my journal, it felt like I was handling a piece of my soul. After spending two years coming up with my ideas and thoughts, I understood the pride of a craftsman a little more. 

Noticing my hesitation Grimble said in more seriousness than I had ever seen from the aged dwarf “I understand your hesitation of offering your ideas to someone. It feels like you’re tearing a piece of your body and offering it to another. It’s mighty uncomfortable but remember after today you will be my apprentice regardless. Being your mentor is a give and take relationship. Your new ideas are something that I will be able to grow from just as much as how much you learn from me. Remember this, new thoughts and ideas bring progress as much as failure. When I was starting out with my master, I had the same feelings of irritation and doubt.” Listening to old man Grimble reassure me. I felt better about my hesitation, handing over my journal to Grimble’s hands I let out a deep breath. My shoulders relaxed as I no longer felt like a fully drawn bow pulled taut with tension. 

“Now go on your first quest. When you return, I will tell you of my decision. Worry about making it back uninjured. Watch out for goblins, those vile creatures will show no mercy and will take pleasure in your suffering. Do not trust easily as the most dangerous enemy is oftentimes not the one in front of you, but the one at your side.” Grumbled Grimble. 

I bowed to Grimble thanking him for everything one more time before he shoved me out of the warehouse back into the storefront. Seeing his cheeks flushed I knew he was more embarrassed than mad at my gratitude. Some things never change. Turning around I had to bite my tongue to control my laughter. I walked out of the Maven with confident strides remembering my initial excitement as I headed to the adventurer's guild. The mid-morning sun welcomed me as I basked in its light peeking above the city walls. Walking down the main road I noticed the morning bustle as shopkeepers were preparing their stock for the day, various people and demi humans walking to their destinations. The city was just waking up. I had seen it many times before, though this time something felt different. The only change occurring, was within myself.

0