Chapter 16 – The New Girl
187 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Monday Morning- Back to School

Refreshed and ready for the new week, Emilia arrived at school with a bounce in her step. She’d finished all of her homework by Sunday and wrote a draft of her new story for the Thursday Theater club reading. I still need to polish it up. 

When Emilia got to homeroom, she noticed the Krieger sisters sitting together, speaking Norwegian. This was unusual since they always joked with the other students during this time. That's strange. Emilia then took her seat between them and said hello.

“Good morning, ladies. I hope you had a nice weekend.”

“Hi Em. We did. Good to see you. You didn’t have any more weird dreams did you?” they asked.

“Oh no.” Emilia smiled. “The rest of the weekend I slept well.”

“Glad to hear it.” 

When the sisters replied they all patted Emilia’s back. And when they did, Emilia sparked with pleasure. Ah! So nice. Why am I always like this around them? But as she sat back in the chair, the sisters continued their conversation in Norwegian. I guess whatever they’re talking about is important. 

But no sooner did Emilia relax when she noticed Cassia suddenly face forward in her seat and stare at the classroom door. 

“Hm?” Emilia also faced forward before asking, “Hi, what are you looking at?”

“Eh?” Cassia smiled at Emilia. “Oh, nothing.” But as Cassia spoke, Mina and Angel also stared at the classroom door, as if in a trance. They didn’t speak, the three just stared. 

“Um.” Emilia didn’t want to interrupt the sisters. But moments later, an eye-catching, super pretty student walked in holding a schedule. “Oh my.”

“Hello~” The student greeted the homeroom teacher as the entire class fell silent. 

“Oh, good morning!” said the teacher to the girl. “We were expecting you. Martinez, right?”

“Yes, Skye Martinez. It’s a pleasure to meet everyone.” 

When Skye said her name, the class melted. Especially Emilia. For Skye Martinez wielded that special adorableness sought after by every man or woman seeking a girlfriend. Skye was a slim, five-five. With dark brown hair in a side ponytail and gray eyes to match. Topped off with thigh-high black stockings for a seductive absolute territory. 

Oh wow! She’s so pretty. Emilia thought to herself as she gazed at the new girl. 

“Where are you from?” the teacher asked. 

“West Texas,” Skye answered with a drawl that made her answer sound like, “Wess tech-sis.” 

“Haha, I love your accent!” One of the students spoke up, but then a bunch of girls just started talking to her. And she answered sweetly before the homeroom teacher took her away. 

But as the new girl was situated, Emilia turned to the sisters, only to be shocked at their faces. For the Kriegers glared at Skye with what appeared as hate. Emilia then tapped Angel. “Angel, why are you guys staring at her like that?”

“Hm?” Angel glanced at Emilia with her perpetual scowl. “You must be mistaken. We’re just deep in thought.”

“Yeah, right,” Emilia replied. But when she looked up, the teacher was pointing the new girl toward Emilia. A moment later, she stepped over.

“Hello, are you Emilia?” Skye asked with a warm smile.

“Yes, that’s me. And I’m assuming I must have a class with you if the teacher sent you here.”

“Yeah, I think we both have sixth period bio and first period government.” Skye displayed her schedule. 

“Oh, Angel here is also in that class.” Emilia then turned to the sisters. “Forgive me, these are the Krieger sisters. Angel, Cassia, and Mina.” 

“Hi, nice to meet you all,” Skye greeted. But the sisters didn’t respond. They all just nodded at her. “Wow, tough crowd,” Skye joked before continuing. “So, your last names are Krieger? Doesn’t that mean Warrior in German?”

“It means warrior in many languages,” Angel answered, glaring at Skye. “But I’m sure you knew that.”

“Yeah, but I doubt anyone else did,” Skye replied, smiling at Angel. 

“Warrior?” Emilia turned in her seat. “I didn’t know that’s what your name meant.”

“It’s not a big deal,” Mina said, rubbing Emilia's shoulder.

“It is to me!” Emilia said. “I mean, it's bad-ass. And I'm sure the name is uncommon.”

“It is. But that's because we’re uncommon,” Mina said with a wink.

“Heh, that’s true.” Emilia kept smiling to lower the tension between the sisters and Skye. But she couldn’t understand why the Kriegers were being so rude to her. Just then the bell rang. “Oh, hey. I guess we’ll see you in class.” 

“Yeah,” Skye smiled at Emilia before glancing at Angel. “Look forward to it.” 

As Skye walked away, Emilia turned in her seat. “Hey, you guys were being mean to that girl. And it wasn’t nice!” Emilia spoke from the heart. But when the Kriegers stood up they continued to watch Skye as she left the room before turning to respond to Emilia. 

“We apologize, darling,” Cassia said. “Perhaps it’s the Monday blues that has us on edge.”

“That’s not really an excuse, though.”

“You’re right,” Angel said. “We are sorry for our behavior. And we’ll rectify the situation. In the meantime, I’ll meet you in government shortly.” Angel gave a sincere smile.

“Ok.” Emilia picked up her bag. “And you don’t have to be sorry. Just be civil.”

“We will,” Mina said with a grin that calmed Emilia’s nerves. “See you in class.”

“Alright, see you.” But as soon as Emilia walked away, the sisters scowled again.

Class

A few minutes later, Emilia settled in her seat in government class. Several rows behind, the new girl, Skye, took a seat. She had a friendly demeanor and spoke with the students around her. And although Emilia didn’t know her, she liked her already. 

A moment later, Angel walked into the classroom, almost late. Emilia expected Angel to glare at Skye again, but it didn’t happen. She just sat down and took out her notebook.

Curious, Emilia asked Angel a question. “Angel, what were you guys speaking Norwegian about in homeroom?"

“Oh, nothing. Cassia visited that fancy cafe on Sunday. And she was telling us how the waitress may have forgotten the order or some such.” 

“Oh.” Emilia knew that wasn’t all they talked about, but it wasn’t her business. “I like that cafe. They have a wonderful tiramisu.”

“Yes, I’ve checked their menu online. I’d also like to visit. Perhaps this week?” Angel smiled.

“Then we’ll make plans,” Emilia assured. 

“Excellent.” 

The Prince

The class homework assignment was to read Machiavelli's: The Prince. The book is commonly known as an instruction guide on how to rule as a monarch. The teacher then led a lively discussion with the class before pointing at Angel to provide her take on the book. 

“It was a fine Sunday read,” Angel said. “And I applaud Machiavelli for scratching the surface of single authority rule. But I believe more depth should have been paid to the use of soft power. In fact, I could write a whole book on the subject!” Angel beamed. 

“Yeah, I can see the title now. How to Rule Like A Villainess,” Skye Martinez joked in the back.

While the class laughed, Angel turned in her seat. And with a cruel smile, she replied, “You mean a Benevolent Queen. And one so kind that she corrected you even though no one asked your opinion.”

“Hm.” Skye smirked. “An opinion I’m free to give in a free country.”

“Yes. Always free, as long as you accept the consequences of that speech. Am I right?” Angel asked, glaring at Skye. 

“You’re right. And yes, I’m ready to defend it, if that’s what you're asking.” Skye glared back.

Just then, the whole classroom grew quiet as the two girls sized each other. But Angel took advantage of the silence and stood up. “That was a good answer, Skye. It was spoken like a true Texas cowgirl.” She clapped at Skye. The class giggled then also began to clap. That’s when Angel pounced. “My fellow students, now that I have your attention. This is an excellent time to announce that I’m running for school president.”

“Alright, Angel. That’s pretty cool,” the class replied warmly. 

“More than cool, ladies. For I am a leader of conviction. And as your president I will run and succeed in allowing us students to have the right to go into town for lunch! How about that?”

“Oh, heck yeah! That’s a great idea!” The class erupted, clapping and showing their support for Angel. 

“I figured you’d all agree,” Angel assured.

“It is a good suggestion, Angel,” Emilia said. 

“Thank you, love. However, in full disclosure, I did borrow the idea from Stephanie. But it’s still worth running on.”

"Yes, it is." The class cheered Angel, which started a discussion among the teacher and students. But during the commotion, Angel crept over and leaned on Skye’s desk, grinning at the new student. Skye, in turn, sat back. As if expecting Angel.

“Can I help you?” Skye asked. 

“I’m sure you can’t. However, I must point out that I know what you are.”

“Yeah, well.” Skye looked Angel dead in the face. “I’m not hiding it. Unlike you, Valkyrie.” 

“Ha!” Angel gazed at Skye before continuing. “Aren’t you a clever girl? In fact, you're such a smart ass that you’ll meet me at three o’clock today. Behind the tennis courts, outside of school.”

Skye winced. “Are you telling me to meet you or asking me?”

“Neither. I’m only confirming that it’s in your best interest to show up.” Angel scowled. 

“To do what? Talk to you?”

“Absolutely! At three o’clock, we’ll talk like civilized folks,” Angel answered, before walking back to her seat. “So be a dear and don't be late.”

...

The New Girl- Skye Martinez - By Fuyuure

11