Chapter 18 – I Already Hate You
193 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mural

During lunch, Mina, Stephanie, and a few other volleyball teammates took pictures and laughed by the cafeteria mural. The mural was an illustration of a fiery, red-colored cat with its claw out to strike. 

“Graar!” Mina said to Stephanie with her hand out like a claw. 

“Graar-Raar, to you!” Stephanie replied while grabbing Mina’s waist and clawing her back. The two then laughed while snapping a pic together. 

“Hey, hey! You two have to earn your claws at this Friday’s game!” A wide-shouldered girl named Patricia joked. 

“No doubt!” Stephanie beamed and high-fived Mina. “You see us at practice. We’re the dynamic duo!”

“Psst, yeah right,” another girl teased. “You're more like twins, attached at the hip.” 

“That’s how we game, don’t hate!” Stephanie fired back, before sitting on Mina’s lap. She then took another pic of Mina and herself. But afterward, while Stephanie talked with the girls, Mina casually pulled away. Stephanie noticed. “Hey Krieger, where are you going?”

“Nowhere, but can I talk to you for a sec?”

“Yeah, but why do you sound all creepy?” 

Mina smirked before pulling Stephanie outside the cafeteria and into the quiet hallway. She then turned and asked a question. “Are you the jealous type, Steph?”

Stephanie squinted at the trick question. “I can be. But I’m sure you are too.”

“Oh yeah, I'm territorial as heck.” Mina nodded. “And I’d be upset if I liked a girl and she kept hanging out with her other friends. Even if the other friends were important to her.”

“Huh.” Stephanie pulled back. She saw where this was going. “Alright, Mina. I don’t want to get sucked into your mind game. So just tell me what you’re going to say.”

“Ok.” Mina whipped her hair. “I like you, Stephanie. I like you a lot.”

Stephanie blushed. “Are you confessing to me?”

“Yes. And I’m also saying that if you’re as jealous as I am, then it’s probably best that we just stay friends.” 

“Wait, what?” Stephanie gaped at Mina. “You know Krieger, you really need to get over yourself! Because I never once said that I wanted you-”

“I know you didn’t. But it’s the other way around,” Mina said. “I want you all for me. But I also know to earn you would mean that I would need to be yours exclusively. Am I right?”

“Uh…well.” Stephanie wasn’t expecting Mina to say any of this. It caught her off guard. “I mean. Yes, eventually. If you were my girlfriend. But like I said, I never told you nor even hinted a relationship with you. So, I don’t know what your point is saying any of this.”

Mina nodded. “Yeah, you’re right. So let me be clear. I’m saying we should stop with the public displays of affection if we’re not a couple.”

“What the heck? Mina, you act like I’m putting pressure on you to be my girlfriend when I have said no such thing to you!” 

“It’s not what you say, but it's your actions. And I’m trying to be cool about this.” 

“No, you’re not being cool!” Stephanie shot back. But deep down she knew that Mina was telling the truth. It was Stephanie who chased Mina all the time. It was Stephanie that went looking for Mina after classes. It was Stephanie who jumped on Mina with public displays of affection. Why? Because it was Stephanie who wanted Mina exclusively. But being a proud girl, she couldn’t say that to Mina, or risk appearing weak. Frustrated, Stephanie blurted out. “You’re cutting me off for Emilia’s sake, aren’t you?”

“No,” Mina deadpanned. “I’m slowing down with you because it’s not right for me to ask you to accept Emilia as my friend if you don’t want to.”

Stephanie scowled. “So you’re saying this is my fault?”

“Things are the way they are. That's no one's fault,” Mina said. “Also, Stephanie, you keep saying you never asked or implied that you wanted me. But your actions say different. However, I can’t lie. Those same actions make me want you.”

“Ah.” Stephanie suddenly felt guilty. As if she were the one that initiated this strange breakup. But she had to ask for her own validation. “Mina, is all of this true?”

“Hell yeah. I want you all to myself. But if you can’t accept who I hang out with-”

“Why should I?” Stephanie barked. “Hunh? Why should I accept you sleeping with Emilia if you’re saying this bullshit to-”

“Because I’m not sleeping with Emilia. And I wouldn’t if I were your girlfriend. But at the same time, Emilia is damn near family with me and my sisters. And I’m not going to alter that relationship for you, no matter how much I like you.”

“Ah!” Stephanie was left speechless as a range of emotions washed through her sixteen-year-old heart. But proud as ever, she couldn’t admit how much she really liked Mina. Because fuck you, Mina! You arrogant bitch! How dare you get me to like you so much, yet I still can’t have you completely, unless. “Mina?”

“Yes?”

“Are you going to tell Emilia that you like me?”

“She already knows.”

“That’s not the same thing!”

“Huh.” Mina paused. “I see. And what do you think that would accomplish?”

“It would accomplish telling her the truth!” Stephanie scowled. “If you tell Emilia that you like me then at least she’ll know!” And maybe she’ll get the hint to leave you alone. Or at least not take up so much of your time. Stephanie couldn’t say all of that though. 

“Alright.” Mina nodded. “I’ll tell her.”

“Eh? You will?” 

“Yeah. I'll tell her today. But that doesn’t change that we should stop all the public affection between us.”

“Tch! Whatever. If that’s what you want,” Stephanie lied. Sure, it was fine if Mina told Emilia her feelings about Stephanie. But all pointless if Stephanie couldn’t keep hugging Mina.

“It’s not what I want. But the way it’s going to be,” Mina said. “Because this way, I get to keep you as a teammate and not someone who eventually hates me. As for Emilia, I can tell her the truth about my feelings for you and not have to feel guilty about it.” Mina then looked up at the hallway clock. “Anyway, Steph. The bell is about to ring. So I’ll see you in gym later.” She then turned and walked away. 

“Huh? No, wait!” Stephanie couldn’t believe it. She burst forward and clutched Mina’s wrist. “Krieger, what the heck? You just confessed to me, but you don’t want to touch me?” As Stephanie's words cracked as tears formed in her eyes. 

“Stephanie.” Mina stopped walking. “I told you that I wanted you like no other. But I’m not going to put myself in a situation for you to hate me later when I don’t conform to everything you want. No matter how much this hurts me now.” Mina then looked at Stephanie with watery red eyes. “And yes. Not being able to touch you is killing me.”

“Ah…” Stephanie balled a fist in rage before jumping and hugging Mina, crying on her shirt. “Hold on. Before you leave. I just want to tell you that I already hate you, Krieger. I really do.”

“Yeah, I figured you did.” Mina caressed Stephanie’s face. “And I don’t blame you.”

“But answer me honestly,” Stephanie sobbed, burying her face in Mina’s shirt. “Does it really hurt you to not touch me? To not be with me? Because you’re the one making this decision.”

“The pain is unbearable,” Mina answered with tears streaming down her face. 

“Good!” Stephanie wiped her own eyes and stared at Mina. “I'm glad you hurt. And to hurt you more, I’ll do the same and not give you any attention. And we can just be teammates!”

“Understood,” Mina replied. Just then, the bell rang for sixth period. Mina then nodded at Stephanie. “Alright then, I’ll see ya.” 

“Yeah, sure. See ya,” Stephanie said as Mina waved and walked into the crowd of students exiting the cafeteria. But as the hall grew noisy, Stephanie stood behind a pillar and just cried. And if asked the reason, she wouldn’t have an answer as to why she was crying over a girl she’d only known a week. A girl who’d rather break up with her than dismiss Emilia. Stephanie couldn’t believe it. The nerve of Mina choosing Emilia over me. As if I don’t have anything to offer a relationship, hmph! She told herself with pride. But the pride faded as the pain took over. And all Stephanie could do was sob for a full minute more, before heading for class. 

 

...

6